[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /an/ here's another one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
Roman coliseum style, both have had their balls mutilated so they're pissed off, who wins Pachycephalosaurus "packy" or bull, roughly same weight bull is at most 200 lbs heavier
>>
>>2151661
>both have had their balls mutilated
you'd have to go shoulder deep inside a dinosaur to find his balls.
>>
>>2151663
That's why he's so pissed off
>>
>>2151670
Fukken kek
>>
I'm gonna go with the bull for this fight.
>>
>>2151661
Is this a joke? People need to realize that dinosaurs are not mythical creatures and modern animals today are much better at doing what they did millions of years ago. I mean even the famous T.Rex would be easily brought down by an average grizzly bear
>>
>>2151712
You're kidding right, that's like saying a grizzly stands a chance against a bipedal enormous hippo
>>
>>2151722
It was just a big turkey with teeth
>>
>>2151661
Im gonna say the 4 legs give it the advantage in turning around. Bull also has goring and blunt force combined with kicking legs. Packy's only got that dome.
>>
>>2151888
Big fucking teeth lol.
T-Rex could actually bite a bear in half
Only way any animal in 2016 could "win" against a Rex is by running away, which in the animal world, does constitute as winning.
>>2151889
Really? I would think a packy would be way more agile. It's got a raptor build for a reason.
That being said you are right about it only having one weapon, and that one weapon only works if it's running in a straight line towards you so idk
>>
>>2151661
Bull has more weight behind it, bull wins
>>
>>2151661
The bull.
1. Both are primarily vegetarian
2. Bull has extra super testosterone called taurine
3.bull has sharp 8-11 inch daggers on top of its weapon
4.bull can reach a higher speed but cant turn as quick with four legs.

I do give dino its props, but it really has no other weapons, its feet are flat without sharp claws. It has a beak for eating berries and seeds. It has arms that are only there for holding foods like large fruits and nuts. These dinos were only dangerous in large numbers and fleeing from a threat. Other than that they were to ve expected to be docile in nature.
>>
>>2152108
Hahaha, you think a t-rex was a hunter? Its head and arms dictate otherwise. It looks like it just used weight and size to push animals off a carcass. Velociraptors were designed hunters, the head the length of the arms the center of gravity all shows it was a hunter. T-rex were scavengers. So a bear fighting for food could actually do alot of damage to a t-rex which then would have to consider is it worth the damage or just bully something else that wont fight?
>>
File: DMNS_Edmontosaurus T rex bite.jpg (65 KB, 297x218) Image search: [Google]
DMNS_Edmontosaurus T rex bite.jpg
65 KB, 297x218
>>2152143
>T-rex were scavengers
even the guy that came up with that idea says it's wrong.

Here's the thing that killed it:
Pic of a healed T. rex bite on a dinosaur proving they actively hunted.
>>
>>2152143
That's in terms of getting food yeah, it's a scavenger , but you're talking about a fight to the death where (I'm assuming)both animals are pitted against eatchothor with no way out.
A vulture is a scavenger too but I promise you it could still fuck up an owl (a hunter)
>>
>>2152153
You want me to believe that a large headed creature with small eyes on the side of its head. That also has a reinforced skull cap with extremely short arms relative to size of body means it hunts? Its also got huge feet relative to body size for planting and pushing things. Its clearly a scavenger that was an opportunistic hunter. Probably using that head to shove over old frail "triceratops" to eat. Idk exactly how they came up with their estimate of bite force if nearly 13,000psi, but i think thats just due to the size of the head and not based on anything other than that.
>>
>>2151670
I'm dead. Sides gone
>>
File: DMNS_Edmontosaurus T rex bite.png (3 MB, 1800x1220) Image search: [Google]
DMNS_Edmontosaurus T rex bite.png
3 MB, 1800x1220
>>2152229
>You want me to believe
I don't really care what you believe.

I'm telling you T. rex hunted, this is a proven fact. Has been for slightly longer than you've been alive.

assuming you're 12.
>>
File: figure12b%20low%20s.png (34 KB, 180x287) Image search: [Google]
figure12b%20low%20s.png
34 KB, 180x287
>>2152229
>eyes on the side of its head.
also we have known for the last 10 years that it could see forward almost as well as you can.
>Idk exactly how they came up with their estimate of bite force
finding the strength of bone and then multiplying that strength over the thickness and depth of the jaw using beam theory and some sophisticated computers.

I can link you the articles for this stuff if you actually want to read about it.

or I think I can... I'm not sure if the bite force study is available online for free.
>>
>>2152263
>proven fact
>scientist never wrong
>scientists are infallible

Oh so its been observed and documented happening?? Really now? Since when did "theoretical historical science" become proven fact? Im pretty sure the only facts are things that are observed and documented and can be repeated with experimentation.
>>
>>2152270
Yeah, so can other animals that are scavengers/opportunistic hunters like raccons and dogs. But you look at the skull the eyes are on the side of the head fo fleeing and being able to see if anything is approaching it while its scavenging.

Id like to see the citation. There is no way to really prove the musculature was able to provide such force. Yeah, the bone may withstand that pressure. It's bone.
>>
>>2152283
>u can't know nuffin

but anyways, yes.
it is an observed fact that a dinosaur was bitten by a T. rex while it was alive.

There are no other possible explanations for the evidence.
>>
>>2152289
Really? Proof the thing was alive? I need some evidence of this being a hunting response. Because all i see are bite marks in bone, which can be from simply scavenging or moving of a carcass. What makes anyone belive it was alive and being hunted?
>>
>>2152287
>Id like to see the citation.
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Mr16gm7VRCAC&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=bite+me+therrien+&ots=xy2BzUTkig&sig=KEKSSVVhvC6d4sLCfzpdWMbkaCQ#v=onepage&q=bite%20me%20therrien&f=false

>There is no way to really prove the musculature was able to provide such force
bone only becomes strong in response to pressure. So if there wasn't that much pressure the bone would be smaller.
>>
>>2152290
>What makes anyone belive it was alive and being hunted?
the fact that the bone healed after it was bitten.

carcasses don't heal.

are you pretending to be retarded, I can't tell?
>>
>>2152297
Oh, so the opportunistic hunter went for a kill and just grazed the creature and it fled away and was able to heal? Hmmm, kind of like when a dog grabs a rabbit and the rabbit takes off after sliping out the teeth??
>>
>>2152301
She took a 2 foot chunk out of the tail, that's more than just grazing it.
>>
>>2152293
The bone would be less dense. But the entire skull of the trex is extremely dense. Especially its hardend skull cap. Thats like saying a bull or a goat has a insane bite force cuz their heads are so dense.
>>
>>2152303
Yeah, relative to size its pretty small. Lizards lose their entire tails in attacks. If you look at the size it'd be alot more in feet relative to a dinosaur.
>>
>>2152305
>Especially its hardend skull cap
you keep saying that.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

the top of T. rex's skull has two huge holes in it, as is normal for theropods.
>>
>>2152305
>Thats like saying a bull or a goat has a insane bite force cuz their heads are so dense.
no.

it's like saying crocodiles have an insane bite force because their jaws are so thick. IT IS LITERALLY EXACTLY LIKE THAT.

density of the rest of the skull means nothing.
they measured the jaws.
>>
>>2152324
Yeah, you know the part of the skull that is between the eyes and goes around those two holes and connect at the back of the head? Thats all extremely dense and the holes are there because if it were solid its head would weigh so much more and its brain would probably over heat.
>>
>>2152349
the bone is pretty dense but it's also extremely thin.

where the four sutures meet there's almost a hole there. The remains of the parietal eye.
>>
>>2152328
Its based off of bone density and shape. They assume since the t-rex's nasal bone is fuse and formed in an arch it was made to exert high amounts of pressure. But neither of those are present in crocodiles actually they have fairly narrow snouts and thin jaws. The bite forece in a croc or alligator comes from the gigantic jaw muscles behind the head. You know the things that make the gator look like its got fat guy neck?
>>
>>2152354
>They assume since the t-rex's nasal bone is fuse and formed in an arch it was made to exert high amounts of pressure.
that's a different paper.

the one I cited just measured the jaws.

also, yes, crocs have fused and vaulted nasals just like T. rex.
>>
File: XMwQi3g.jpg (24 KB, 350x232) Image search: [Google]
XMwQi3g.jpg
24 KB, 350x232
>>2151712
nigga you dumb as hell. a Tyrannosaurus could crunch a grizzly in its jaws without much effort. That's like saying a bull could take out a triceratops.

you are correct that dinosaurs aren't mythical creatures, they were animals, but to say that modern animals are better than them just shows you have an incredibly gross misunderstanding of what evolution is.

Dinosaurs were no better or worse than modern animals are. You might go "oh, the grizzly bear is more evolved" but 'more evolved' doesn't actually mean anything.
A horses Hooves are technically much more evolved than human hands. The hands of eomaia scansoria, a common mammalian ancestor to both horses and humans, much more closely resemble the hands of a human than the hooves of a horse. Does that mean a horses hooves are better than human hands?

>>2151661
all that said, the bull probably takes it, significant weight advantage plays into its favor, it also has scarier weaponry. Though some people belive pachysephalosaurs weird dome head was actually an anchoring point for a huge, keratinous horn, due to the fact its vertebrae don't look well suited for supporting a blunt blow to the head, like you see in rams.

if this is the case, having greater agility and a much bigger weapon will play into its favor. But of course this is based on speculation, going on the bare bones of what we know, bull probably takes it.
>>
A Bull would shit stomp a Pachy. Not even a contest.
>>
>>2151888
You've clearly never been flogged by a turkey.
>>
>>2152137
Taurine is an acid found in bile. It is called taurine because it was first extracted from the bile of a bull.
>>
>>2151712
Dinosaurs didn't die by outcompetition, they died because a fuckhuge piece of rock smashed into the planet
>>
>>2152621
>all that shit about evolution

context clues, bruv. you've gotten ahead of yourself.
people often say man came from monkeys but it's the *colloquial* monkey they're talking about. similarly, the evolution your man is going on about is a very specific kind, refuted elegantly and succinctly by >>2152762
>>
File: image.png (78 KB, 620x257) Image search: [Google]
image.png
78 KB, 620x257
>>2152108
Lol you sound like a kid convinced that dinosaurs were some kind of dragon. News flash buddy you would be hard pressed to find anything from the past that could compare to what we have in 2016. The only thing I can think are ancient crocs and sharks, stuff like the deinosuchus(which actually preyed on the T Rex) are the real monsters from millions of years ago
>>
>>2153454
m8 the "tyrannosaurus were scavangers" theory has been discredited for more than a decade. and again, animals are not better because they're newer, evolution does not work that way.
give yer half-assed trolling a rest.
>>
>>2153502
Lol I never said it was a scavenger
>animals aren't better because they're newer
Your the opposite of right, just look at raptors today compared to the ones from millions of years ago, they are WAY better hunters and are at a much better advantage in the sky with they're relatively frail bodies. Can you imagine putting a Utah raptor in a typical forest? It wouldn't even be able deer
>>
>>2153633
an put modern raptors in the cretaceous, how would they do?
evolution is not a line of progress, it's only change to suit the current environment.
A fucking rhinoceros would never survive the Cambrian.
Also, you are pant on the head retarded if you think a utahraptor couldn't catch a deer, deer are dumb as fuck.
>>
>>2152283
>>2152290
>>2152301
this dude is retarded
>>
File: Never Forget 12-21-65000000.jpg (20 KB, 343x343) Image search: [Google]
Never Forget 12-21-65000000.jpg
20 KB, 343x343
>>2153633
>animals aren't better because they're newer
>Your the opposite of right, just look at raptors today compared to the ones from millions of years ago, they are WAY better hunters and are at a much better advantage in the sky with they're relatively frail bodies. Can you imagine putting a Utah raptor in a typical forest? It wouldn't even be able deer
No he is right, evolution means you get better suited to your environment, fucking eagles and grizzly bears would get the shit murdered out of them in an environment where there are dinosaurs like T-Rex. Because big T was designed in an environment where there was large competition and predators, Eagles and Grizzles are better with the colder and less big fucking lizard filled environment
>>
>>2151712
>Tyrant King brought down by bear
Nice fucking bait senpai
I'd like to see the grizzly try to deal with a nine ton killer with bone crunching teeth.
>>
>>2152283
You're the type of person I hate.
Fucking kill yourself.
Seriously. Please.
>>
File: rexy .75 profile.jpg (123 KB, 614x729) Image search: [Google]
rexy .75 profile.jpg
123 KB, 614x729
>>2152287
>But you look at the skull the eyes are on the side of the head
It's a skull that's longer than it is wide or tall, dingus. EVERYTHING is "on the side of the head."
What matters is the way that the eyes are positioned and how they're oriented relative to the front of the animal.
>>2152283
>HURR BDURR IT A THEERY NOTFACT
wew lad
>>
>>2153785
A bear could literally disembowel with one swipe because the T rex would have a had very soft skin just like a bird
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 180x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 180x255
>>2153754
Modern raptors would most likely thrive, feeding on smaller animals just like they do today hell they probably would cause any other species that primarily feed on smaller creatures to go extinct and I don't think the Utah raptor would be able to hunt something with a bigger brain almost as speed and greater bulk, a kick from a fawn would break its bones very easily
>>
>>2154201
oops I meant to type doe not fawn
>>
>>2152143
Actually its believed that rexs hunted in packs.

Just stop and think. 3-5 rexs all working together.
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8 KB, 224x225
>>2151712
>>2151722
>>2152108
>>2152143
>>2152153
>>2152229
>>2152263
>>2152270
>>2152270
>>2152283
>>2152287
>>2152289
>>2152290
>>2152293
>>2152297
>>2152301
>>2152303
>>2152305
>>2152309
>>2152324
>>2152328

Bravo, bravo, I've never seen a thread take the bait so hard. This entire thread is now a trex thread.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.