[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Corgi Puppies!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: CORGI.jpg (8 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
CORGI.jpg
8 KB, 251x201
Hey /an/
I'm currently looking at adopting a Corgi puppy! The only problem is, there are so many breeders that I don't know which one to pick out of them all...
Do any of you guys have a recommended breeder? I live in the U.S and the only condition i have for the breeder is that they are willing to ship the puppy to a town/city near me. If you guys have a recommended breeder, please list their website/email or some way to get ahold of them. Thanks!
>>
Cardigan or Pembroke? Contact the breed club.
>>
>>2151465
finally a thread where i can impart some of the knowledge i've gathered.

the pembroke welsh corgi club of america will list all the reputable breeders in the country and has a lot of other information on the breed as well

http://pwcca.org/about-the-pwcca/membership-directory/

try to go to dog shows and speak to breeders there. it shows you're committed. i don't think any reputable breeder would ship you a puppy to be honest and they'll want to see you at least once before agreeing to give you a puppy. a reputable breeder will have health tests done on their dogs. for corgis i think breeders generally have tests ran for eyesight, von willebrand disease and hips. many breeders will have waiting lists of a year. be expected to pay at least 1200 - 1500

i think that's generally what you need to know to get a corgi. i should know i want to get one myself but won't be able to for several more years if at all.

i suggest you research the breed more because i suspect you don't know much about it. i'm happy to try to answer any questions you might have
>>
>>2151465
>adopt a puppy
>breeder
I sincerely hope you are reincarnated as a dairy cow
>>
>>2151534
also just want to add on that you'll probably have to drive out of your way for a few hours in each direction to get your pup. breeders seem to live in the most obscure little towns
>>
You want a breeder who has done GENETIC/screening for (on dam plus sire and as far back as you can get):
- Severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) (repeated infections)
- Degenerative myelopathy (CDRM) (spinal cord degeneration, causing hind limb weakness and incoordination)
- von Willebrands disease type 1 (bleeding disorder)
- Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC)
- Hip dysplasia (abnormality of the hip joints causing pain and disability): breed mean score 24 (this is very high – parents should be much lower)
- Eye disease: Multifocal retinal dysplasia (MRD) (abnormal development of the retina) (litter screening)

Alongside this you want someone who is prevalent in their breed- who shows and perhaps even does something like obedience with their corgis. Do expect to be put on a waiting list, do expect to have to wait a while for your puppy and do expect to be quizzed within an inch of your life when you find a good breeder.

If you find any breeder who doesn't health test run in the opposite direction as far as you can.
>>
>>2151741
iirc eye problems don't show up until either around age 1 or 2 right?
>>
>>2151465
Step1. Get a goldfish and try to keep it alive while searching every corner of the webz for info about corgis. Step2. Adopt one from a corgi rescue or your local shelter
>>
>>2151742

MRD is progressive, aye, but it can be screened for as puppies (dam + sire should be screened too- it's an annual screening).
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.