[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any experience introducing birds to pet cats?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: zebra-finches.jpg (10 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
zebra-finches.jpg
10 KB, 255x255
Does anyone have any experience introducing birds to pet cats?

I'd really like a finch or a budgie but one of my cats is very young, healthy and active. He'll chase a fly around all day and we've come home to dead mice before (though not eaten).

Obviously I don't want to bring a bird home just to have it killed, so I was wondering if anyone has experience dissuading predatory behavior or introducing an animal so that the cat doesn't see it as something to kill.
>>
If you value the bird, you need to keep them permanently separated- if the cat is in the room, it is supervised and the bird is in its cage out of sight and reach, and the cat is removed from the room if it gets too close. If the bird is out of its cage or you are not around to supervise, the cat is locked out of the room. You can definitely keep both in the same household, but cats are never 100% reliable around small prey animals and they can fatally injure a bird even through bars.
>>
>>2150365
I suppose that's the kicker, then. I live in a smallish one bedroom that pretty much runs bedroom->kitchen->living room with a small side office and a bathroom, so the options for keeping them apart when not at home is to either close off a third of the roaming space to the animals or stick the bird in a windowless little office for eight hours a day. It seems cruel to me to deprive the thing of natural light and possibly a view of the outside/a larger space.
>>
>>2150383
Yeah, don't get a bird.
>>
>>2150405
I'll just have to wait until we get a bigger place, I guess.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.