[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cockatiel General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: fluffio.jpg (55 KB, 430x530) Image search: [Google]
fluffio.jpg
55 KB, 430x530
Has anyone seen this picture without the interrogation mark? Reverse searching doesn't help. I need to find this cutie.
>Also, Cockatiel general thread:
- Do you own one? If you don't, do you want to?
- If you want to but can't, why?
- What's the best bird and why is it the cockatiel?
>>
Have a cockatiel playing a drum as tribute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDX2ZXtjJY0
>>
cockatiels a shit
>>
>>2148488
It's ok, anon. Not everyone likes the same animals.

Have some more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUlD0m5_E8
>>
More cockatiel videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9NZnpleU0s
>>
Cockatiel singing Chocobo Tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81qFaoe010
>>
>>2148480
i was passed on a cockatiel from a family member that was not taking very well care of him. now i have an aggressive little shit that im not sure what to do with. i love him but i dont know what to do with him. ive owned budgies before. he desperately needs his nails clipped but i cant do it he constantly bites and runs from hands so i try my best not to stress him out by forcing myself on him. im not sure how old he is? i can leave the cage open and hell come out and chill then go back in when hes done but im also afraid to let him out in case i need to put him up for his safety. since he doesnt come to me or step up. this sucks because ive always wanted a cockatiel but not like this. im not going to give up on him or mistreat him or anything because of it, its not his fault. he just isnt the happy scritch-wanting bird that i was hoping for when i thought about owning a tiel
>>
>>2148762
Thanks for replying to this thread! I was starting to get bummed nobody else like cockatiels around here.

You definitely have a though situation since you don't know what kind of irreparable damage the previous owner did to him and how it affected his behaviour, nor whether it's something that can be fixed. How long have you had him? Have you taken him to a vet yet?
>>
Cockatiel singing Final Fantasy classic fanfare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLIg6WT7zM
>>
>>2148762
Hahah in the same boat, random cockatiel landed on my brother and we kept it. Dude hates fingers and bites if you try to move it when it climbs on you. Honestly i just want to let it go. I didnt want a pet bird to begin with, even less one thats a total ingrate.
>>
>Cockatiel preening cat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHhw9pFa0Q
>>
File: IMG_5014.jpg (54 KB, 739x529) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5014.jpg
54 KB, 739x529
I have 2 of these.
>>
>>2149361
They're so cute! What are their names?
>>
File: IMG_5013.jpg (50 KB, 686x558) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5013.jpg
50 KB, 686x558
>>2149365
The left is Pablo and the right is Tico.
>>
>>2149370
Tell us some stories!
>>
File: IMG_5012.jpg (59 KB, 875x607) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5012.jpg
59 KB, 875x607
>>2149372
Heh, like what? I've only had them 3 years.
>>
I have one. His name is Korvus and he's a sweetheart. Handles new people very well and we got him from a family that couldn't care for him anymore. Best $110 investment. He is a daddy's bird and gets separation anxiety whenever I leave the room for extended periods of time.
>>
>>2149373
Any fun songs you were surprised they learnt? Any shenanigans they pull?
>>2149374
What do you do if you have to leave the house?
>>
>>2149377
We have a new albino budgie to keep him company but otherwise he does better with me leaving netflix on for him. Either ponies or sofia the first. Children shows, bright colors and music. He's starting the learn the theme to mlp. Otherwise i leave socks for him. He flirts it up with them.
>>
File: IMG_5011.jpg (56 KB, 817x532) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5011.jpg
56 KB, 817x532
>>2149377
They actually can't sing a single song between them. I tried really hard when they were younger since I read they become harder to teach as they age, but it didn't work I guess.

As for shenanigans, Tico has very ungraceful landings (their wings haven't been clipped) and is constantly crashing on to my head. He loves to shower and bathe but Pablo insists on bathing in the water bowl.
>>
File: 20160221_145925.jpg (705 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
20160221_145925.jpg
705 KB, 2304x1296
>>2149386
That sounds adorable. We couldn't keep korvus clipped either. If you can the smallest sized aviator harness works for tiels. It's what he's wearing when he met santa.
>>
>>2149388
Hmm. I have considered it. Do you take Korvus for walks with the harness? That seems fun.
>>
>>2149392
We have. His first time out he got scared since he heard a hawk. Afterwards he has learned that daddy keeps him safe. Think the aviators are about $30 usd or so... Highest i had seen them.
>>
>>2149394
Hawks are pretty quiet here in the UK. I'd be more concerned of the harness coming loose. Does he seem like he enjoys it? Whenever I move mine out into the garden in their travel cage they seem very relaxed and interested in the wild birds.
>>
>>2149401
Takes a bit for them to enjoy the harness but if you take tge time I'm sure they will love it. Korvus loves talking with the birds in the area and you will get quite a few stares from people. The harness is very secure and the strap for your wrist is a strong bungie so if they fly you need only guide them back to you.
>>
File: IMG_5010.jpg (92 KB, 876x594) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5010.jpg
92 KB, 876x594
>>2149407
That sounds pretty secure! I guess I could get one and give it a try. Mine can be very evasive when they want to be so it would probably take a while to get it on.
>>
>>2148796
honestly? a few years. and i havent been able to find a vet in my area. i feel like an asshole but i do make sure he gets fresh food and water constantly. he used to just sort of nip then step up now he just bites and wants nothing to do with me. im about to be way more financially stable though and one of the first things im doing is getting him a better cage and getting him to the vet when i can find one. im not sure theres much irreparable damage more like. hes sort of reverted into not being hand tame and it would take an ASS TON of work to get him comfortable again.

>>2149222
how long have you had him? and have you tried the generic working with him shit that you see in every guide? dont let him go, take him to a store or maybe find a breeder or something in your area that might be willing to take him off your hands.
>>
>>2149491
Hd it maybe two months now, i mean its not really a big issue yet and i have read up a lot on behaviors and training, it suck that i have to deal with a broken bird because some asshole abused it, and taught it to sing la cucaracha -__-
>>
>>2149792
aw hes not broken. he just needs some working with. i dont think that him biting necessarily means he was abused or anything though
>>
how do I keep a tiel from being so enamored with...things?? literally almost everything, shoes, any sort of clothing or hand towel, paper, plastic containers, leafy greens, he won't eat them but will try to serenade them.
>>
>>2149963
that is so cute. mine just fucks his food bowl.
>>
I have a tiel, he is great. He is not really a cuddly bird (yet) but he loves chasing, putting his head in the tea mug, singing to the birds outside and so on.
I love how good their eyesight is, he can see a buzzard or fighter jet from fucking miles away, takes me a long time to finally be able to see what hes watching.
He is really good with having his claws clipped, just a bit of hissing and slight beaking.
>>
File: 1465006838622.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1465006838622.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>cockatiel lover
>literally the first time ever on /an/
>find the cockatiel General
is this real? is this happening?
>>
>>2149385
>He's starting the learn the theme to mlp.
That's kinda mean...
>>2149386
I know Pablo is a Spanish name, but what is "Tico"?
>>2149491
Sorry to hear about your situation, but I wish you the best of luck!
>>2149963
Remember animals have personalities too! Maybe he's just the Romeo type hehe. Being serious though, it could be some hormone abnormality, maybe have him checked out?
>>2150204
I love when cockatiels chase things, it's so cute!!!
>>2150295
Hi, OP here. Sorry to disappoint you but it isn't an actual /general/. I saw the picture in the first post (with the MS Paint interrogation mark) linked in a random post and tried (to no success) to find the original picture. So.. I posted here hoping another tielfan would recognized it. I have zero chance since I don't use tumblr nor pinterest. Since while at it, I saw no other cockatiel threads in the catalogue, so I dubbed it a general.
>>
>>2150329
Tico is also a Spanish name, and if my memory serves me correctly it means 'little brother'. He is the younger of the two so it works. I'm not Spanish though, just British and thought the names worked.
>>
my grandpa had a very nice one named cupid. It was very well trained and would be allowed to roam the house. When ever the mail came in it would glide over to the pile of letters and open them all up.

then I got a puppy and that was the end of cupid ;_;
>>
File: 1459675390173.gif (826 KB, 696x478) Image search: [Google]
1459675390173.gif
826 KB, 696x478
>>2150344
That's so sad... Why did you have to post that??
>>
So how are these birds? Are they better that budgies as in smarter?
>>
>>2150436

Their level of intelligence is about the same, but they're less jumpy and will live longer. Some of them get quite moody tho.
>>
>>2151006
Then theyre shit birds huh
>>
>>2148480
No answer yet?
Use ms paint color tamp, get color of ceiling, use box tool to cover the question mark.
I would for you but y'know.
>>
>>2151233
Uh... how did you take that away from that post? They're great.
>>
>>2151237
>cant learn to talk like a parrot
>shit birds

Its simple
>>
>>2151238
I really hate this mentality, even if you're joking. If you just want a bird for its talking abilities, you shouldn't get a bird.
>>
File: fluffio.jpg (53 KB, 430x530) Image search: [Google]
fluffio.jpg
53 KB, 430x530
>>2151236
Is that all OP wanted? Thought they wanted the source
>>
File: PEOqDxh.jpg (45 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
PEOqDxh.jpg
45 KB, 540x960
can someone photoshop a Pickelhaube on this tiel and lay some black-and-white filter over it to make it look like an old photograph?
>>
File: pickelhaube.jpg (121 KB, 540x900) Image search: [Google]
pickelhaube.jpg
121 KB, 540x900
>>2151282
Had a go
>>
Nice :)
>>
>>2151236
>>2151244
You thought right, I wanted the source so I could see more of that (I assume) albino cockatiel.
>>2151317
That's hilarious hehe.
>>
> Sibling ask for a cockatiel and my parents decide to get her one
> Realize she's retarded when it comes to animals and realize I'll be the one taking care of it, especially now that I moved back home

It's fine since I grew up with them but never actually took care of one myself. I guess it's nice because they qt as fuck. But is there some tips you guys can recommend for taking good care of one? Especially now and for the long term.
>>
>>2151317
ayyyy very nice
>>
>>2150344
so did you kill the dog?
>>
>>2151667
>But is there some tips you guys can recommend
Mmmm... nothing that you can't find when googling. Just remember to be patient with its antics.
>>
>>2151564
It's not albino is it? Looks like a whiteface.
>>
>>2151667
The diet is the most important thing. Make sure you get it eating fruit, veg and pellets ideally. Easiest done with a young bird.
>>
>>2151855
I'll definitely have to be patient soon enough.

>>2152766
The one thing I want to know is how much and how often I should feed them, that's the one thing I need to know.
>>
>>2153071
I always heard around three tablespoons of food per bird per day but I find the best thing to do is check regularly and make sure there's always some there. Fresh water every day too.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.