[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys ever heard about "beetle breeding" ? W
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: orientalis.jpg (140 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
orientalis.jpg
140 KB, 800x600
Do you guys ever heard about "beetle breeding" ?
What do you think ?

Here is a link to a channel that regularly post's videos on this ordinary subject:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9D0c5aHaK_jrBiLliNVv7w
>>
Comfy channel though I want to start doing it myself.
Can you breed specific markings though?
>>
File: Dynastes_hercules_hercules_08.jpg (66 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
Dynastes_hercules_hercules_08.jpg
66 KB, 560x420
The beetle you see in the picture belongs to the subfamily of Cetoniidae, the so called "flower beetles".
This beetle is called goliathus orientalis. The biggest flower beetle in the world. The markings are absolutely random, but it's possible to breed specific markings with the use of selection breeding.

Here is a picture of the longest beetle in the world, Dynastes hercules hercules, the "Hercules beetle":
>>
For anyone interested in this topic, a brief overview about this exciting hobby:

Breeding beetles is a popular hobby, especially in Asian countries.
The common breed beetles are Cetoniidae ( flower beetles ), Lucanidae ( stag beetles ) and the most popular subfamily Dynastinae ( rhino or giant beetle ).
The biggest "producer" of beetles is Japan. They offer everything you need in normal shops, so you just have to buy it. Japan holds also the most record's of biggest beetles in the world, just a few days ago there was another record for the longest Dynastes hercules hercules ( hercules beetle ), it was measured 174mm.
In other countries ( like here where I live, in Germany ) there are only a few enthusiasts that breed beetles. So you have to produce your own material to breed them.
The material for rearing and breeding beetles is called "substrate". There are many different substrates for all the different kinds of beetles.
The most common substrate is called "Flake Soil" and it consists purely of fermented sawdust.

If you want to learn more go visit the YouTube channels called:

Beetle Breeding Daniel Ambuehl

Beetle breeding - Dynastinae King
>>
Is this your channel?
Why did you have to hatch the eggs in wood but then transfer them into substrate afterwards?
Also is paying 50 euro+ per adult beetle normal?
>>
No neither of this two channels is mine. I just recommend them, since these are practically the only two channels in English about this topic.

I am guessing you are talking about phalacrognathus muelleri, right ? The eggs are layed in wood and then transferred into the light colored substrate called "Kinshi". It's nothing else than artificially produced white rotten wood.

Yes, the price is normal. But it depends on the species, gender and size of the adult beetle.
Larvae are much cheaper and better for beginners.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.