[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dogs Barking, Posible Training?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11
File: tumblr_n25ij4sDM21qjnhqgo1_500.jpg (67 KB, 500x463) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n25ij4sDM21qjnhqgo1_500.jpg
67 KB, 500x463
Hello /an

I'm kinda new to this board, but I'd like ask this, my mother has 5 dogs (4 poodles and a greyhound-like one). The garden is quite big, and they go around, running and barking the minute you let them out of the house.. I mean INCESSANT BARKING, really fucking annoying.
The neighbours are complaining and my mom antagonizes them all. Before any of the dogs gets poisoned (or my neighbour for any case) is there a way to calm them? Have any of you experienced something like this? Do those shocking collars work?

TLDR: My mom's dogs bark a lot and I need help stopping them before anything happens

>pic unrelated
>>
>>2148307
Those bark collars and speakers that react to barking and play a high pitched sound that annoys the dog- they work.

If the dog is especially stupid it will take a couple days to figure out what's going on and they might bark more until they get it.

It kind of fucks them up though, they whine and do that stupid clawing at the ground with paws extended thing a lot more when they can no longer bark. I guess barking is a stress reliever or something.

Also, the animal rights meme has tricked everyone. You don't need to beat your dog but a couple smacks when it does undesirable behavior is perfectly fine and much more effective than spending weeks teaching with positive reinforcement.

Food withholding and spraying water up their nose or really close to their anus works too.
>>
Ok, the poodles are "bichon frise", supossedly an inteligent kind, quite young... so i'll try to aply some of this things (preferably the cheapest ones)

Thanks, dude.

More suggestions are accepted until I find the most effective one so keep em' coming, please
>>
they can be trained, but it is a lot of work. The more dogs, the harder it's going to be because they might have a hard time knowing who you're talking to.

Okay, this is what I did. I have purebred Great Pyr. Notoriously loud breed. Anyway, he is very vocal. I only let him out to do his business then bring him right back, but if any neighbors are out, it's go time. We have a 6ft privacy fence but he still sees through the crack.

Anyway, I got out with him every time. I follow him. If he starts his shit, I make him sit, then lay down, then give him a treat. After a few seconds, he'll start up again. I do sit/lay/treat. Again and again and again. Usually mixing in some Place and Shake or whatever I feel like. After about 5 weeks, he doesn't bark outside anymore. Well, maybe 10% as much as he used to.

It's as simple as breaking a bad habit. I redirect his attention away from performing that habit. The same as a person chewing gum to quit smoking. I gave him another option. Eventually, he just forgot about it. But I am willing to bet it will resurface, since it is part of who he is as a herd guardian.

I also caught it early, before he was 6 months, so that may have helped.
>>
>>2148307
Get them to settle a bit before they go out then quietly walk them out on lead. Once they are settled and calm outside let them off. It sounds like they're just over excited to go out.
Do they get enough walking?
>>
>>2148387

I am this guy with the great pyr. I wanted to mention that while I used positive reinforcement in this case, I do support what >>2148327 said about swatting and spraying. Just keep it in check. Don't overuse it. Save it for important things that you don't want to fuck around with for 6 weeks. Like housebreaking, jumping on kids, running out the door, vaginally nose-probing girls you bring home, etc. If you use it for everything, then the dog will start to distrust you and that makes it hard to work commands like "Come" or trick them into getting them where you need them (like just trying to get them to come in a room, they might stare at you for 10 seconds trying to decide if it's a good idea or not). So yeah, it's fine. Just ... moderation.
>>
>>2148381
I have a bichon/poodle mix. He's dumb as fuck and barks at everything.

I put a shock collar on him until he figured out I don't want him barking. Now all I have to do is show him the collar and he shuts up.

he's really depressed when he can't bark though. He sulks and whines. I dunno, they're born to bark. You take away their reason for living.
>>
>>2148390

Better than snipping their vocal chords. Oh my god that is some horror-movie level shit. The sounds they make ...
>>
File: SANY0051.jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SANY0051.jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
>>2148391
yeah, I couldn't do that. I hate his barking, especially in the house, but it makes him happy so I allow some bark time each day.
>>
>>2148392
what a cutie post more pics

although he looks like he's out for blood in that photo lol
>>
File: daggy6.jpg (35 KB, 267x274) Image search: [Google]
daggy6.jpg
35 KB, 267x274
>>2148391
I didn't even know that was a thing....holy shit

a-are there videos of this?
>>
File: 20140726_151625.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20140726_151625.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
OP here, this is the situation, what >>2148388 (Check em'!!) is saying seems like an awesome thing because every time we open the door they go hauling ass like a F1 race car.
The dogs get quite enough "outside time" they can get, she let's them out as soon as she wakes up b4 going to work at 7 am (rip neighbours) aaaand when she gets home, roughly around 3 pm; then during the rest of the day she let's them go whenever "they want to".
But again, this can partake as soon as 6 pm to 11 pm (Fucking madness!!)

Summarizing (and sorry for the bad english), the dogs bark all day and I got various threats from the neighbours who are about to collapse and go all psicopath on our dogs and family till we fix this issue.

So far I got:
-Bark collars and shit work
-Training them to sit-laydown-treat prize (for 5 dogs it can be a hazzle but still kinda plausible)
-Getting them to calm there self down b4 letting them out (How?)
-???
-Profit (?

>pic related, some of the little shits in question
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-18-03-31-37.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-18-03-31-37.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>tfw got a badly abused doberman from rescue shelter
>they warned that he had a horrible upbringing and was tortured and used in dog fights
>missing left ear and two toes on front right paw
>skin above right eye badly scarred
>wouldn't allow me to pet him for 3 months
>8 full months of bi-weekly behavioral training and an hour of daily reinforcement/trust training and he's the best dog I've ever owned
>first dog that I'll catch looking at me with a smile, he's just happy to have someone love him
>named him Buddha and he loves all my friends and even gets along with their dogs

>one exception

>he fucking HATES black people
>light skinned, well dressed, dreads, no dreads, male or female, young or old, even the black employees at the behavior center

>anytime a black person, even the couple of black friends I have over a few times a month to smoke with, gets within about 20 feet of him or me.........
>he lowers his head and makes this exact reaction:
https://youtu.be/nb2qyZCFNU0

If they don't immediately back away without speaking or running- he charges them and starts biting

He's bitten two dudes, both my friends and they didn't freak out but my one buddy got 40 stitches from three different bite wounds on his arm and shoulder I had to pay for

I hate it. I live in suburban Kentucky so avoiding the issue is simple usually but I can't take him to the vet or pet stores without going in and checking out the racial makeup of everyone beforehand. I have to keep him in the garage when my bros come over and if I'm walking him at a park and a black family shows up, I have to immediately turn around and start walking the opposite way. Sometimes have to walk through woods to take long way around to parking lot.

He started going nuts at a black cop that was next to us at a stoplight. I honestly thought he was going to squeeze through the slightly opened window or break it to get the cop. The cop just laughed and drove off.

Tl-dr: how to eliminate canine racism /an/?
>>
File: 1452110839337.jpg (31 KB, 421x528) Image search: [Google]
1452110839337.jpg
31 KB, 421x528
>>2148327
>You don't need to beat your dog but a couple smacks when it does undesirable behavior is perfectly fine and much more effective than spending weeks teaching with positive reinforcement.

Hey that sounds reasonable, they are animals after all....

>spraying water up their nose or really close to their anus works too
>spraying water
>really close to their anus
>anus

>mfw
>>
File: SANY0030 (2).jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SANY0030 (2).jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>2148407
Thanks!
He's a little beast.
>>
File: SANY0003 (21).jpg (1 MB, 2288x1712) Image search: [Google]
SANY0003 (21).jpg
1 MB, 2288x1712
>>2148407
>>
File: P2180002.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
P2180002.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>2148407
He's an old man. He's 15 next month.
>>
>>2148423
;____; i hope he has a lot of years ahead of him
>>
File: SANY0012.jpg (3 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
SANY0012.jpg
3 MB, 3000x4000
>>2148424
Me too. I had him since he was tiny, he's family.
>>
>>2148418
I kekd.

Ship him to Japan, Switzerland or Iceland
>>
>>2148307

Focus on your dogs being better dogs and the barking will self correct. I cant type it all out but begin with a rattle can and that is a correctiom to use when they exhibit behaviour you dont want.

Your dog is in YOUR house and you should not be butting heads with them in your house. Shut them outside, if they bark, whine or howl smash the can against the door. When they exhibit behaviour you like reward them with high value treat items, shredded chicken or something tasty.
>>
>>2148418

My dogs racist aswell.

My dobies growing up hated blacks thats why we had them since dad was a cop and we needed man stoppers when he worked nights.
>>
>>2148327
I give my dog a light swat with my hat when she's barking and I want her to cut it out. 9 times out of 10 now I just have to take my hat off while looking at her and she'll quit.

t. Cletus
>>
>>2148307
Have you tried exercise before shocking the fuck out of them?
>>
My dog had this problem and I made her wait until she goes out. She needs to sit at the door calmly, if she tries to run out I make her stop. If she walks out nice then breaks for it, I stop her and make her go back in. She picked up on it pretty fast and now she doesn't run around manically because she always expects to see squirrels n shit in the yard.
>>
>>2149485
That works for women and children too anon
>>
File: tumblr_ne2rz9pAY51qgqzxgo1_500.gif (880 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne2rz9pAY51qgqzxgo1_500.gif
880 KB, 500x200
Thanks to everyone for repliying, I'm currently passing this tips (plus others I found online) to her. Since I don't live with her It's hard for me to ensure these things are made thoroughly. But I'll make a list for the things she needs to do and hope for the best.

The neighbour calmed down a little, but she's waiting for the next shitstorm to strike so she burns our house down.
If everything fails I'll make a post asking how to train the dogs to aim for the neck.

Thanks!
>>
>>2149993
>shitty, low frame rate, poorly filtered tumblr .gif

Fuck off
>>
>>2149993
It's not the neighbors fault. I'm surprised your mother hasn't been fined yet.
>>
I have a yappy little shit. I taught her the word quiet, using a spray bottle and putting her back inside if she doesn't listen. Now all I have to do is pick up the spray bottle or say "Inside?" In a stern voice and she stops. If she seems to be barking out of worry/nervousness it works to tell her it's ok sometimes.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.