[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Avoiding overwatering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: planting_3.jpg (55 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
planting_3.jpg
55 KB, 400x300
Is there a rule of thumb for watering indoor potted plants?

E.g., a little bit everyday, or a bunch every week, or when the first 1" is dry, etc.

I'm new to indoor growing, and the soil always seems to stay wet longer than outdoors (because of less sun, drainage)
>>
Die
>>
>>2148242

I would like to know this as well. I am not good with plants and would love if there was some sort of physical indication of when to water them. All I know is the soil should be moist but not soppy after watering.
>>
>>2148242
It depends on the plant. I suggest going to the /homegrown/ thread on /out/. Most of the growing discussion on /an/ moved there.
>>
ive never found the 1'' guideline to be at all useful

i usually go by weight of the pot
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>2148242
Just take a 2 liter bottle and poke a hole in the cap. Take some 3/4 inch nylon rope and put it to the bottom of the 2 liter and lace it through the cap and screwit down. Then take the other end and shove it mid way down into the plants soil. Then vwala you've got a automatic plant water-er.
>>
When in doubt, let the media dry (not bone dry) before watering again. Avoid waterlogging the media, this is just asking for crown rot. For cacti in the summer, a good watering once a week is more than sufficient. For epiphytes (bromeliads, orchids), particularly when planted in bark, simply let the pot rest in some water for 10 minutes and then remove, do this once a day.
>>
>>2148683

How dry is dry? I'm using miracle gro "moisture control" potting soil, but for some reason, it seems when I water, the soil just stays damp for a couple days after.

This is even after letting it run through the drainage holes.
>>
>>2148901
You do know that crap is poison right?
Eat a miracle grow tomato and tell me it wouldn't have been better off in the garbage.
DISDAIN.
Try used coffee grounds (SUN DRIED OR MOLD) and the lower layers of leaf litter. Unless the plant is picky or sensitive to soil pH, it will thrive with these two things.
>>
>>2148906

>welp

Will generic potting soil work just as well? I dont drink that much coffee, so I can't use spent grounds entirely as a potting medium
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.