[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just adopted a cat from a local shelter, about to go out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: cage-cat-3.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1871) Image search: [Google]
cage-cat-3.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1871
So I just adopted a cat from a local shelter, about to go out for supplies, how big a cage do you think I'll need for this thing to start out? Last pet I got died because the enclosure I kept it in was too small, so I don't want to take any chances here.
>>
Also is it ok to leave the cat in my car in the carrier they gave me until I get this all sorted out?
>>
File: 1466130471563.jpg (31 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
1466130471563.jpg
31 KB, 650x487
>>2147762
>Last pet I got died
>>
>>2147762
>keeping a cat in an enclosure
>>
>>2147762
>Cat
>Cage
What
>>
>>2147762
Instead of keeping the cat in a cage, make a bathroom or bedroom cat proof and use that instead. You just saved the cat from life in a cage, just to keep it in a cage.
>>
>>2147792
Not OP, but also just adopted a cat. I did actually put her in the bathroom a few hours ago, with a litter tray, scratching post, food and water. She's pretty shy, so I left her on her own.

I've checked on her several times over the last few hours, she hasn't moved at all and was shaking, wasn't sure whether she was anxious or cold, so I put a little heater in there, but angled it a bit away, to see if she would move to sit in front of it.

It's been about five hours, and she hasn't moved at all. Hasn't eaten either.

WHAD DO I DO?!!
>>
>>2147794
Keep her in your lap
>>
>>2147794
Expect that behavior for at least a day. At least. May not eat too. If it's not too cold for you, it's probably not too cold for the cat. They do shake when they are scared. I'd advise taking the heater out unless it's actually pretty cold where you are, because a heater in such a small space can get very hot very quick. Try giving her a box or a paper bag (cut off the handles just in case) that she can hide in, and pretty much let her be at least for a day or two.

It's extremely stressful time for a cat. Their world has changed drastically in just a few days, from having a home, to being brought to a shelter to having a new home with new people. They are usually terrified at first. Keep an eye out for URI; its not just common in a shelter setting, it can also be caused by stress. If you notice your cat is sneezing a lot, runny nose, runny eyes, lethargic, and it doesn't improve or it gets worse in 2 or 3 days, you should bring It to a vet.
>>
man. it sounds like that kitty is gonna suffer...
>>
>>2147798
Well, it's winter here, not too cold but like 10C.

She's sitting on a towel I put in the base of the cat carrier. I unclipped the top of the carrier and put it aside after she refused to come out.
>>
>>2147792
My apartment is small and it's not really practical to let the cat take over an entire room. I mean if I give the cat the bathroom where am I supposed to shit?
>>2147779
I know some people let them roam around the house, but I don't have enough money for declawing right now so I'm hoping I can keep it somewhere it can't damage anything at least for a few months until I can scrounge up enough, then I'll reevaluate.
>>
>>2147816
You don't like your apartment clawed up, how much do you like piss and shit everywhere?
>>
>>2147816
>declawing
What the fuck? Haven't you heard of scratching posts?
>>
>>2147816
This post is definitely bait. But in case it isn't, what the fuck, OP. No one keeps kitties in cages. Give your kitty run of your apartment or give it to someone who won't force kitty to lead life of suffering.

Declawing cats is a procedure that amputates the toes and causes them pain for the remainder of their lives.
>>
>>2147823
I don't want to take the chance that the cat prefers my favorite chair or my wall to the scratching post I got it.
>>
Cmon OP, troll harder
>>
>>2147827
>causes them pain for the remainder of their lives
Calling bullshit. People with fingers amputated don't experience constant pain for their entire lives. Why would a cat?
>>
>>2147830
They definitely can, I don't think in all cases, but I know one person who's missing a ring finger, and another that's missing a couple toes, and their nerves are all fucked up from it. The guy with the toes missing, it's not a full joint on one, and part of the bone sits right up against the skin. It's more like a low-level throbbing pain, but if anything hard touches the end of the bone, he gets sharp, shooting pains.
>>
>>2147832
Well both of those cases those people lost fingers due to a traumatic injury, and not due to a carefully controlled surgical procedure. (Even if the finger was amputated surgically it was done after such an injury had occurred no?) I would imagine this would be more likely to cause complications than if the doctors had been able to amputate a healthy finger carefully without something fucking it up first.
>>
>>2147830
People also don't walk on their fingers.
>>
>>2147833
Alright, anon. Then good luck finding a vet who is actually willing to perform the procedure despite it being cruel and actually considered animal abuse by most vets and animal control.
>>
>>2147836
I already had a vet quote a price for me. But as I said, I don't have the money right now. The vet is actually the one who suggested I put the cat in a cage until I can afford the declawing if I don't want my furniture damaged, but like a dumbass I forgot to ask how big a cage I needed, and it's embarrassing to go back and ask now.
>>
>>2147857
Just keep it in a cat carrier, that way when it's time to cut off it's fingers, it is already in the carrier ready to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 800x600
>>2147762
>>
>>2147888
I probably cannot afford to buy something so large but I could maybe make one myself.
>>
From what I've seen declawed cats tend to have behavioural issues like pissing everywhere. So it's a bit six and two threes whether declawing is worth it.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 450x507) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 450x507
>>2147900
Picrelated is even cheaper, but that's about the size you are looking into for a cage. Remember that you still have to take the cat out and play with it just as much as a ferret in the same situation.
>>
Just give the cat back to the shelter, OP. It is going to go back there after you get it declawed
>>
>>2147902
Ruined furniture can be replaced. Cat piss never leaves.
>>
>>2147904
>Remember that you still have to take the cat out and play with it just as much as a ferret in the same situation.
Yeah, obviously, my intention is not to dump the cat in the cage and forget about it. If I'm around to supervise him then I don't even mind him walking around freely, but I'm not comfortable yet having him do so when I'm at work or out of the house, or asleep or whatever.

Also is chicken wire ok for the outside or is that not safe for cats?
>>
>>2147762

Literally dont get the cat op, you're the perfect example of someone who shouldn't.
>>
>>2147888
>>2147904
These at catios which you are not supposed to keep the cat inside most of the time. They're for cats to get fresh air without free roaming or needing to be supervised. A cat is not supposed to be left outside exposed to the elements like this

Your shelter sounds like shit too. The shelters near me have a form you have to fill out detailing your previous pets, things such as your income, how much time you spend at home, and the size of your house, survey your house before they give you the pet, and check up on the pet for about a month or so after to make sure you're taking care of it. They'll deny you an animal if you aren't prepared to take proper care of it. It's to make sure fuckheads like you don't adopt pets since you can't take proper care of it. I've volunteered at the local shelter for a few years now. They will even take back pets if they see you're not taking care of it. I'm pretty sure this thread is bait anyways since I know most shelters have similar procedures, albeit not always as thorough
Anyways, op you should give the cat back to the shelter and get a fish first. Get a cat after you can properly take care of a 10 gallon tank and keep a fish alive for several years
>>
>>2147922
^This
Just leave it to street if gonna make it a prisoner.
>>
>>2147830

People don't walk on their fingers, as another anon suggest, but on top of that there's a massive reason it's illegal in most other countries.
>>
>>2147922
This
>>
>>2147932
It sounds like OP is in a third world country, so the shelter there is probably just happy they have one less cat to gas
>>
>>2147948
So just because something is illegal in some country somewhere, that means I can't do it in my country where it is still perfectly legal?
>>
>>2148015
Again, just give the cat back.

I guarantee you it will end up in a shelter if you get it declawed.
>>
>>2147762
Assuming this isn't bait, you're an idiot. Take your cat back so they can give it to somebody who isn't brain damaged.
>>
Op, if you're not a 1/10 troll, kill yourself after you give the cat to someone with common sense
>>
OP here again. When you declaw your cat at home, do you cut at the first "knuckle" bump or the second one? Or does it not really matter?
>>
>>2148059

>home declawing

NIGGA WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS REALLY BAIT
>>
>>2148059
>>2148311
It's likely bait, but in the off chance it isn't, you should cut at the second bump from the nail.
>>
File: image.jpg (218 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218 KB, 3000x3000
>>2148059
>>
>>2147762
>kept cat in 10 gallon terrarium
>>
>>2147762

Weak bait.
>>
>>2147816
>>2147762
You're a fucking moron.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.