[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Dogs to Leave at Home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 2134u21341235.jpg (256 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2134u21341235.jpg
256 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /an/

thinking about getting a dog in a couple months, but myself and gf (16/f/cali) work regular 9 to 5's.

We're trying to find something that can be chill
at home while we're at work, but still can be
active like on the weekends and stuff. Just looking
for suggestions.
>>
Get a rescue from the pound that's pasted it's puppy stage and chilled out (like around 3-4 years old). Ask the rescue about dogs that are being fostered out in homes because you'll be able to get a better grip on the dogs personality in a home setting versus the high stress kennel environment.
>>
If you get a dog, make plans BEFOREHAND as to what would hypothetically happen to if the relationship were to go sour. A relationship with a 16-year-old is not likely to last and too many animals end up in shelters because people can't work their shit out during divorces/breakups.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 738x722) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 738x722
>>2147569
Me and my gf adopted an 8 y.o. American Bulldog/Staffordshire Terrier from our local shelter and it's the greatest decision we made. The dog is very relaxed in the house, was already trained, long walks aren't mandatory which is good considering our work schedules.

Also Spaniels aren't the best dogs to have in your situation, they require a lot of attention and love. I would stick with an older bully, terrier, or hound.
>>
>>2147671
what a cutie
>>
1. You need to exercise and work with your dog every day. It will not work if you do not.
2. I work 8-5 and come home for lunch. I crate both my rescue dogs. One is a lab/pit/Dixie, and the other is a spaniel/chihuahua/terrier. When you first start, it will be hard. But eventually they figure out that you always come home.
3. When leaving dogs alone, it is important to stimulate their mind. Leave them a Kong and a nylabone. The Kong is what they will go to first and help the first 10 minutes, which is the worst. The nylabone will give them something to do.
4. If they do not learn you come home and continue to stress, then hire a behaviorist
>>
>>2147569
>gf (16/f/cali)
What the fuck?

Go get a rescue greyhound, they require low amounts of exercise and are generally very lazy and docile. They don't enjoy jogs/runs.

Or, get a cat.
>>
>>2147578
This, OP. Actually, since you're probably also a teenager, don't get a dog. The relationship won't last and you don't have the time to properly care for one. Dogs need everyday care and exercise, not only on the weekends. If you don't have time to care for a dog, don't get one. Simple.

A dog is a huge responsibility, and you clearly aren't responsible enough to give it the care it needs.
>>
>>2147578
>>2147760
Very much this. Dogs are not chill when you leave them at home. Nearly all dogs think it is their role to protect you. If you disappear for hours and hours each day, they feel like they have failed at their job and get anxious as fuck. If you like cats at all, get a cat instead.
>>
>>2147569
pedophile
>>
>>2147569
You better be 18, 19 or underage yourself. Older than that is creepy.
>>
>>2147760
>>2148090
How young are you faggots that you cannot even tell the ASL meme from the start of the internet? You guys are complaining about underage and are 100% underage yourself if you cannot even remember that.

Holy shit, retards. Not even OP.
>>
>>2148102
came in here to say this. 16/f/cali is super old.

though to be fair, it's so old I haven't heard anyone use it for a long-ass time. it's fallen out of fashion. you're unfashionable, OP

sage for non-animal discussion and general autism though
>>
*sigh* I made him say his gf because I was there when he was writing it out. He was originally going to put roommate because apparently you internet trolls would not have believed he has a gf. lol so he add that whole 16 year old shit as a joke. I am also allergic to cats.
>>
>>2148138
4Chan is a bunch of spergs. Go to your local shelter and tell them:

-what you want in a dog
-what you can provide for a dog

and they'll show you which dogs fit that profile.
>>
>>2148102
>>2148112
>>2148138
That's pretty funny actually. I'm 30 but I haven't heard that meme. I'm fucked in the head from sexual abuse so that's why I was worried. Thanks for explaining.
>>
>>2148138
>I made him say his gf because I was there when he was writing it out

>I dictate what my boyfriend can and can't post on the internet

if you're that desperate to be in control of a life, probably the pet that would best fit your needs is a really high-maintenance aquarium.
>>
>>2148168
Just saying, it's kind of sad he can't say he has gf on the internet and feels like he has to lie about it just because trolls like yourself, would accuse him of lying because you can't get one yourself.
>>
>>2147751
Stop fucking reccomending rescue greyhounds, they might cope with a short run but they aren't truly happy, just used to kennel life.

They're also not docile, they're not used to family life and will take off after small dogs and cats due to their massive prey drive.

So fucking sick of people recommending sighthounds for lazy people.
>>
>>2148171
I'm pretty sure he has to lie about having a gf because he's ashamed of how controlling she is.

Also, I don't have a girlfriend because I'm not gay

sage for further autism. get a saltwater aquarium and drown yourself in it.
>>
>>2148143
>Tell them what you can provide for the dog
Which is nothing. The fact that you aren't actually teenagers doesn't change the fact that you still don't have the time to spare to care for a dog, OP. Gf is allergic to cats? Don't get a pet. Or at least get something that doesn't require constant attention and exercise like a dog does.
>>
>>2148285
>People with 9-5s can't have dogs! You have no time for it!

Jesus christ your an idiot. People work and still come home to their dogs and have, surprise, healthy well balanced dogs.
>>
>>2148287
That's not what I meant. In OP's original post, he said that the dog will only go for walks/get exercise on the weekends. Dogs need walks every day. Without exercise and playtime, dogs get reckless and destructive, especially a new dog in an unfamiliar environment. OP said he's looking for a dog that will basically only be a dog on the weekends, which doesn't exist. OP should get a pet rock or something.
>>
>>2148181
this, the greyhound meme pisses me off so badly
>>
Don't get a puppy.

Sometimes there are rescues where they want two dogs adopted out together because they came from the same home. I know it sounds like more work but having two dogs that know and like each other at home all day together will keep them relaxed.

Always walk your dog before work in the morning and when you get home. Let it inside when you get home. Reconsider getting a dog while in a relationship and if you're renting.
>>
>>2148287
>people with 9-5 jobs can't have dogs
>but don't get a dog if you can't afford it

Fixed. I hear this shit on /an/ all the time.
>>
>>2148628
because all the people who come in asking if they should get a dog say shit like, "I live in a studio apartment and work 50 hours a week and also get paid minimum wage"

don't get a dog if you can't afford it
don't get a dog if you're never around and no one can care for it
don't get a dog if you're never around and it's going to be sitting in a tiny locked apartment all day
>>
>>2148213
>2016
>not being gay
fag
>>
>>2148628
I don't understand. Are you saying that people should get a dog anyway if they can't afford it?
>>
>>2148684
I agree that it's a bad idea to get a dog if you can't afford it, but how do you afford it if you don't have a job?
>>
>>2148697
why are you getting something that relies on you for care if you dont have an income?
>>
>>2148697
>How do you afford it if you don't have a job
You can't and you don't get a dog.
>>
>>2148731
>>2148781

And I get that, I was just amazed that I hear autists on this board shitting on other anons for having a dog and a full-time job, regardless of how often they exercise/play with their dog.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.