[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quail/ Bird hatch-brood general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: IMAG0257.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0257.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
I've seen on forums like backyardchickens that some ordinary eggs can be hatched and raised. Most of the forum users do this with organic chicken eggs, whilst there was a viral video several months ago where a man incubated quail eggs and one of them hatched.

Most eggs are infertile, so the probability of even cage free eggs resulting in viable chicks down the line is miniscule, but it does happen. Quail are not always as easy to sex, so there is a higher chance that egg suppliers will include eggs that have been fertilized with ordinary eggs in their shipments.

I bought 10 quail eggs from an Asian market (eggs sourced from California) to test my luck. I built a 7x7x7" incubator from high-density insulation foam, and am using a 7w nightlight as the heat source. I have hit day 13, and after candling the eggs on day 10, I am left with 4 eggs which seems to be harboring viable chicks.

Has anyone else here had experience raising birds from eggs to adults? Any input would be valuable.
>>
Well quail are a bitch to rase. If you do not keep them with plenty of food and water they will kill each other for the fun so once you start to make actual noises instead of chrips then get them some space.
>>
File: IMAG0255.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0255.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
Some info on the incubator:
Made from 7x7" panels of 1/2" foam.
Internal temperature hovers around 101°F,
Humidity is roughly 45%, increased recently to 60% for the lockdown period.
Temperature is regulated manually by a screw which props the lid open depending on ambient temps.

I decided to start this project while impatiently waiting for an order of 8 bobwhite quail eggs and a chickbator-2000 from strombergs chicks. I ordered them in late March, and due to inability for the breeders to meet demand, I am still waiting for my order to come through.

I plan to release the bobwhites on my uncles property, where they can act as game over the following season.

The hatchlings from this batch, presumably coturnix quail, will hopefully be introduced to the chickens and guineas already on penned next to their barn.
>>
>>2147504
I've heard that males can't be kept together for this reason. Does it hold true for females as well? For the first 6 weeks, I plan to raise them first in a brooder box, then in a 3x4' window well next to my home. Forums suggest 1 square food for each chick under 6 weeks, and I'm hoping this will be enough.

Homeowners association is a bitch and won't let me set up a pen, and I even had to hide my raised beds between bushes on the side of my house.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.