[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK, so which one should I go for? Canaan VS Ridgeback. I got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Canaan versus Ridgeback.jpg (279 KB, 875x372) Image search: [Google]
Canaan versus Ridgeback.jpg
279 KB, 875x372
OK, so which one should I go for?
Canaan VS Ridgeback.
I got a house with a yard.
>>
>>2146361
Neither, you'd fuck it up.
>>
>>2146361

If you have to ask, neither.
>>
>>2146417
>>2146438

Why? they are both similar in many ways. Good for warm climate, kind of hard to teach, active, like to dig ^^
>>
>>2146492
They're dogs you have to have a passion for. You should not be wishy washying between two breeds you need to be dedicated. They are NOT that similar.
>>
>>2146496
Im just having a fight with my mother. She wants a ridgeback and is really stubborn about it, while I want a Canaan.
>>
>>2146501
The big difference is canaans are herders and rhidgebacks are hunters.

Do either of you have past experience with either breed? Do you have kids visiting do you have wide open spaces or long treks?
>>
>>2146508
Well, my mother wants to get a puppy and go to training lessons and train him and stuff. We have places to run with him and we live near the beach.
Our house is a private house with a yard.
No small kids and we do not have experience with any of these breeds. We did have an Afghani though.
>>
>>2146361
Go with Canaan.
>>
>>2146516
Canaans
> good watch dogs
> defensive but not aggressive
> mistrustful of strangers
> smaller than rhidgebacks,
> bark like hell
> high large prey drive
Rhidgebacks
> very protective but this can turn to aggression
> adults are generally quiet
> can be bouncy especially when young (and that is a LOT of dog to be bouncing)
> high small/medium prey drive if something runs it's gonna give chase.
> good recall but easily distracted.

Both dogs need a lot of exercise and both need a very strong hand. Canaans seem to be more a one person dog as well but I've only met a couple.
>>
I thought Canaan dogs were literally a fancy term for mutts. I must be thinking of Carolina dogs.

If you get a ridgeback from a breeder, you could get a huge discount for a ridgeless one because it's a disqualification in the standard, and the main reason people get those dogs is for the famous ridge. However, those ridgeless dogs are also healthier.

I would recommend finding a reputable breeder of both and asking them about the dogs they breed, and which would fit better in your life
>>
>>2146361
shiba innu
>>
>>2146361
I have 3 ridgebacks and there great companions and very smart! another plus is there very quiet and will not bark at people you bring into your home they can discern from random strangers and people you want there
>>
File: Canaan_8months.jpg (756 KB, 1500x843) Image search: [Google]
Canaan_8months.jpg
756 KB, 1500x843
>>2146361
I've got a 8 month old pure bred Canaan Dog OP. Got any questions, I can try to answer from my experiences so far.
>>
>>2149202

I just googled Canaan dog because it looks just like every other street dog out there and "Israel" oh I get it now...
>>
File: lazyPOS_canaan.png (1 MB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
lazyPOS_canaan.png
1 MB, 1000x562
>>2146361
You didn't ask for anymore but I will give some pros/cons of the breed.

>Intelligent
>Very trainable, but make sure you train them right otherwise they can get confused or mad that you aren't doing it right anymore
>Sheds a lot ( at least mine does)
>Very alert watchdog
>suspicious of strangers and their actions such as leaving packages at your house.
>Perfectly fine with being lazy or active
>Not many people have heard of Canaans
>Likes to try to chase and murder small animals
>Can not be trusted off leash in a none enclosed area
>Beautiful dog
>Few health problems with the breed AFAIK
>Known to hold grudges against people
>Often think they know better than you
>They like to dig (Mine so far has only tried, unsuccessfully, to dig up linoleum and concrete floors)
>Require a lot of socialization to avoid them being afraid/suspicious of everything.

If you are still around hopefully this helps you OP, or anyone else curious about the breed.
>>
dont get a Ridgeback. Jesus christ just dont do it. You either become a dog trainer or resolve yourself to an unsociable aggressive dog to anyone that isnt in the house with you

have small pets? Rabbits? Cats? Birds? They will kill them all
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.