[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you leave your cats and dogs alone together? any worries about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: .jpg (93 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
93 KB, 500x500
Do you leave your cats and dogs alone together? any worries about your cats dying?
>>
I leave them together but I'm not worried about them killing each other. The cat will kill smaller dogs but he leaves things bigger than him alone. The dog is a scared, submissive baby to the cat so he wouldn't attack either.
>>
Only done it one time with one dog that I completely trusted, otherwise no.
>>
>>2144263
I have a dog, 2 cats, and 6 birds (a cockatiel and 5 diamond doves), and I'll leave them home alone because the dog isn't violent at all. She had her puppies taken before she was mine, so she thinks the cats are her own and tries to nurse them. I don't worry about the cats because the cats are actually afraid of birds, so it all works out.
>>
I know 2 people, a neighbour of mine and a friend's neighbour, who keep their cats and dogs together. My neighbour had their cat eventually mauled to death by their dog. The other one's cat got severely injured and escaped to the next door (my friend's house).

Cats and dogs naturally don't get along with each other very well and are often likely to offend each other easily because their body languages mean different things. Eventually, these can break out into a fights or when the dog eventually realises it is stronger than the cats, legitimate attempts to kill the cat.
>>
this is such horse shit. I've never known anybody that owned dogs and cats and kept them separated.
>>
I wouldn't leave my cat alone with a dog bigger than him, but he grew up with the small dog I have now so they get along (besides the fact that the cat could probably kick his ass if it came down to it since the dog is a small weakling).
I definitely would not do it otherwise. My dog will still occasionally "rush" (I don't know what to call it, he just runs up to the cat likes he's going to attack it but he doesn't actually do anything) my cat, and it doesn't hurt him because they're about the same size, but I'm pretty sure if the dog was bigger itd fuck him up
>>
File: WP_20160303_002.jpg (892 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160303_002.jpg
892 KB, 1920x1080
>>2144263
My doggo and cat are fine together, not a hint of aggression between them ever.
>>
>>2144436

They both look as if they've accepted their positions as living entertainment.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 500x636
>>2144436
>g shep
Triggered.
>>
>>2144263
Some people actually know how to train their pets. I've never worried about leaving cats & dogs together. Dogs are always trained to be protective of other animals. Cats bop dogs on the nose if the dogs get to friendly.
>>
>>2144263
My aunt leaves her dog alone with her cat. When she got the kitten, dog was convinced to be the mom and was overly protective. They still sleep together, the cat rubs himself against the dog once in a while, and the dog still licks the cat. Past that, they don't interact much anymore, I guess there's not much worry over miscommunication leading to fights.

I don't worry about leaving my dog there either, she's too busy sleeping or playing with the dog to bother the cat too much, and she's yet to display any aggression toward the cat. She tried to play with him (did the play stance, brought toys) but since he didn't respond, she gave up on that. When she's too excited when coming to him to say hello, he just raise his paw and she leaves him alone and goes to play with the other dog. He hissed and slapper her a couple times but now she gets that the I'm-going-to-slap-you thing means she should fuck off, and she does.
>>
>>2144436
Qt cat. Is it a boy?
>>
are australian cattle dogs trustworthy around cats?
>>
Meh. Together, but separate. The cat has her own room with a baby gate in front of it (it has a cat door at the bottom that the dogs can't get through). She is out a fair bit, and always has a safe place to eat/poop/sleep if she wants.

That said, my dogs just mess with her. They kind'a get in her space and try to her to play. Doing the "play bow" and stuff. They've never touched her. I think she knows they won't hurt her, but she is still very cautious because they are enormous.

It's a good system.
>>
>>2144543
>Cats bop dogs on the nose if the dogs get to friendly.

That should really be /thread. If any other contact happens aside from cat swats, one of the animals missed a course or two on socialization. If your cat doesn't swat at all, you have a golden pair of companions on your hand. Very cool. 99% of dogs get booped by cats.
>>
No way, I've got two dogs and two cats and although the older cat doesn't care much for the kitten, they all love each other to some capacity.
>>
>>2144444
Quints of depression.
>>
>>2144263
yeah. my dog's about the same size as my cat so i'm not worried about him killing her.
>>
>>2144263
nah, my dogs doesnt harm any small animal as long as they doesnt behave like a prey i.e running away
>>
This topic came up a few months ago on here. I have never seen or heard of anyone's dog killing or even injuring their cat in their home. And I'm in my mid-30's. Although /an/ assures me it happens all the time. I think it is either incredibly rare, or happens to incredibly careless people (who I don't associate with).
>>
>>2144923
>missed a course on socialization
Dogs and cats have way different body languages, m8. Nothing you can do short of having a litter of each at the same time.
>>
File: 20160616_112436.jpg (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160616_112436.jpg
1 MB, 1080x1920
My gf and I have two cats and two dogs, if one of them didn't get along with the others we wouldn't have kept them in the first place.

They're all cool with each other. The two cats play together, the small dog and the big dog are best buds and play together, and the small dog and the younger cat we raised from a newborn kitten are best buds and play and cuddle with each other since our little dog licked up the shit and piss off him and cuddled and watched over him while he slept for his whole life.

The big dog is a stray we recently got from an owner who didn't want her back when we found her and called. She was great with our little dog and was perfectly happy and friendly so after a day of keeping her seperated from the cats we brought them into the room with her while holding her harness to make sure she didn't attack. She pulled a little bit, but it was soon clear she was just curious and wanted to play with the cats. The cats were terrified and hissed of course and ran off and hid for the first couple weeks and hissed and lightly batted her face with their paws whenever she touched them or tried to play, but now they're much more comfortable around her. They still don't like to play with her but they will lay next to her on the couch and brush up against her now without freaking out.

It's so adorable and entertaining when our little dog and younger cat chase each other around the house and hold each other down and wrestle each other.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.