[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Betta fish is sick. He just sinks to the bottom of the bowl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: betta-fun-facts[1].jpg (44 KB, 650x369) Image search: [Google]
betta-fun-facts[1].jpg
44 KB, 650x369
My Betta fish is sick. He just sinks to the bottom of the bowl and doesn't move. He's not eating. Had him for about a year now. What do?
>>
>>2143921
Give away the bowl and get a real tank with plants and filtration. Have you tried giving him frozen bloodworms?
>>
>>2143923
I've been telling myself I'd get him a proper tank for half a year now. I feel guilty about it. Where do I get frozen bloodworms from? I guess that's a dumb question. I've only ever given him those tiny pellets every day.
>>
>>2143924
Its ok, no need for guilt tripping. We all make mistakes. Some countries like the US still 'advertise' keeping fish in bowls despite it not being optimal for most species, so people are made to believe that it's acceptable.

Frozen bloodworms can be gotten at any petstore/lfs/petco etc.

My guess, as with many fish that are kept in bowls is that he might have gotten a nitrate/ammonia poisoning.

How were your water changes and what was the water volume of the bowl?

If you keep his water clean and feed him some protein rich frozen food like daphnia and bloodworms, he should feel better.

Are there any external signs as in white spots or slimy overcoats on his skin? Do you see him breathing heavily? If yes, he might need medication.

If you happen to buy a real tank, rather buy straight from craigslist, this way, you can save a lot of money on the equipment, plants etc. if that is your concern.
>>
File: 41xrHawU-FL._SY300_[1].jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41xrHawU-FL._SY300_[1].jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>2143929
It's only a 1 gallon fishbowl like pic related. I usually change his water once a week or every other week. I changed it twice in the past week because there's something else that I noticed. I noticed a thing film of some oily stuff on the top of the water. He has a plant which has been dying, so I assumed it was excreting from that and so I removed it yesterday and changed the water again. I actually did notice a tiny white slime ball looking thing on him, so that means he's definitely sick? Is it very serious?

I obviously don't want to spend more than I have to, but I will put out whatever I need to for my little buddy. What medication do I get?

By the way, I appreciate your help
>>
>>2143932
>tiny white slime ball on him
Fungus, nice job.
>plants dying
Holy shit, nice job.
>1 gallon fish bowl
That's your main problem right there, retard. Get a fucking filter and a proper tank setup.
>I obviously don't want to spend more than I have to
You shouldn't be owning a pet then, would you live on the bare necessities? No, you wouldn't, your betta is like a dog, you don't starve it, you don't place it in a fucking dog cage for the rest of it's life, so why should it be treated like that?
>>
>>2143937
You misunderstood, money doesn't matter. I'll spend whatever I have to, but why would I buy some $300 filter when it isn't significantly better than one I can get for $50. Do you get what I mean? I guess it wasn't necessary to even put that out there; it's just being normal and rational with money. Anyway, now that you made me feel uncomfortable and judged; Can you tell me how to deal with the fungus?

A few weeks ago there was a bit of some orange gunk on a bit of the glass. I'm guessing that was fungus. Is there anything you can tell me about it?
>>
>>2143932

Look, dude, keep an eye out for Petco's $1 per gal sale. You can nab a five gallon tank for a sweet deal. If not, they're still cheap - not much more than ten bucks. Get a bubble filter if you can find one. That's going to run you a whole two bucks. You'll need an air pump, too - that's maybe five to seven dollars for one for a five gallon.

You're looking at less than twenty bucks to fix homefish up with a hot new suite. Use the same gravel, move the plants over. You have water conditioner, right? Then you're gucci. The pellet food is fine - if he's not eating, don't spend the money until he's responsive.
>>
>>2143947

bubble filter = sponge filter, fyi
>>
>>2143947
Thanks for being informative. I'll get those things; also yeah I have water conditioner. You're telling me not to spend until he's feeling better? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to improve his health and get rid of the apparent fungus? Just get bloodworms and feed him that?
>>
>>2143952

Don't spend the money on the food, at least. It's very likely he's suffering from a fungal disease, if not also velvet, popeye or dropsy.

There are a lot of herbal remedies out there that'll help with that but the biggest problem is that most medicines effectively kill off the biofilter (the bacteria that will live in the sponge to chemically filter the water; the sponge is a mechanical filter). And since your filter is going to be brand new, if you're dosing up the new tank, you're basically stopping it from cycling.

Set up the new tank, move him over, and do crazy water changes every other day or everyday if there's no visible improvement. If he starts bobbing around more and actively swimming and eating the pellets, feel free to spurge on the bloodworms. You just don't want to drop money on something perishable if he doesn't make it - not that future little buddies wouldn't appreciate the tasty tasty bloodies.

But you're not doing this to set up for a new fish, are you? ;3c
>>
>>2143956
>>2143952
Another thing you can do is put a dab of disinfectant into the bowl, not enough to be poisonous but enough to stop the spread of the fungi on the fish, a tea spoon is the safest but might not work at all and table spoon is the maximum you should risk. Pure ethanol is the one you want but anything will do in a reasonable amount.
>>
>>2143956
Right now I'm just concerned with the well being of my fish. I really hope he pulls through. I'll go to the petshop tomorrow, thanks anon.

What kind of fish do you have?
>>
>>2143932
Like many pointed out, get anti fungal meds.

Usually waterchanges once a week or every other week are not bad, but in such a small environment, they need to be done like every 2-3 days, when you have no filter.

This bowl really needs to go, such a small water volume will foul up and be host to bacteria and fungi that can get to your fish.

You can get a 10gallon tank for 20ish dollars if you look at craigslist. I'd say you can get a good setup for between 50-100 dollars and make yourself betta happy.
>>
File: 29917-youtube_SlnQzk3tmnM.jpg (475 KB, 999x797) Image search: [Google]
29917-youtube_SlnQzk3tmnM.jpg
475 KB, 999x797
>>2143960

Blackwater tank with cherries and a school of harlequin rasboras. I've got a shrimp-only tank as well, but I've kept most starter fish and had a planted 40 gallon with tetras and rasboras to a lounge in town.

Pic is not my little porkchop, but same species.
>>
>>2143961
Can you be more specific with the anti-fugul meds? The other anon said I should use some generic disinfectant

>>2143966
Blackwater tanks look really cool, do you have any pictures of yours?
>>
>>2143972

Sorry, anon - my phone takes the equivalent of potato chips for pictures. It's only a ten gallon with wood and an anubias and it's baby, so it's nothing to brag about to anyone with any length of time in the hobby. They're the leftovers from the 40 gal move.

I can actually recommend a good anti-fungal, though. From personal experience, API Pimafix is useful when it's necessary to bomb the entire tank.

Another little secret is that the tannins leeched from woods in the aquarium are great for keeping infections and fungal outbreaks in check. Bettas and most tropical fish that inhabit slow-moving water actually appreciate darker water (thus the market for indian almond leaves) and the slightly acidic habitat it creates. It can, however, be a pain to deal with if you don't care for the look. It'll take /years/ of water changes to get the water to be completely clear.
>>
>>2143978
Fascinating stuff, thanks
>>
>>2143942
>how to
Better living conditions, treating it is pointless right now.
>orange gunk
Algae, most likely.
>>
Hope your betta is better now, at least a bit.

feel free to keep us posted.
>>
>>2143932
>a tiny white slime ball looking thing on him

post pic, that sounds like ick
>>
>>2144458

Ich isn't slimy looking - the protozoans create small white cysts with very clean edges. "Slimy" and fuzzy edges are indicative of fungus.
>>
Putting him in the toilet like you're about to flush him usually pep them up
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.