[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
found something weird at bruny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: eg.jpg (38 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
eg.jpg
38 KB, 720x960
okay so my family takes trips to this place called bruny island (part of tasmania) and on one of these trips i found this on the beach

there had been a strong storm the night before, so i assumed it was a cocoon of some sort. I thought it was pretty cool and decided to keep it to see if it could still hatch. I kept it in the palm of my hand as we walked around the beach.
i was fascinated by it and tried to look up what kind of cocoon it could be, but i couldnt find anything to match it. It was smooth, almost like skin, and about 2 inches long, but it didnt seem to have any evidence of being connected to a tree. I couldnt find anything like it online.
And then it started wriggling.

Naturally, i freaked out. It was stone cold when i picked it up, so maybe my hands warmed it? but it was moving in such a way that looked like a worm; slowly twirling.
now the unfortunate thing is that at the time it started moving we were walking along the rock pools, and it made me jump, so i ended throwing it into a rock pool. the tide was coming in, and it was quickly washed away.

does anyone have an idea what this thing couldve been? (this happened at the start of feb last year)
>>
>>2143876
this is most likely a Sphinx moth pupa, but I can't say which species
>>
>>2143877
are they native to australia?
>>
>>2143881
There are a few species native to Australia, yes
>>
>>2143882
huh. alright then. thanks
although, after looking at picutres of sphinx moth pupa it doesnt seem to be the same. what i found didnt have any trace of being connected to a tree

are there pupating insects that dont grow their eggs/cocoons on trees?
>>
>>2143884
Yep, plenty of moth species just pupate right in/on the ground, not attached to anything.
>>
>>2143890
nice! thanks for the help
>>
>>2143876
>i assumed it was a cocoon of some sort
It is

>it started wriggling. Naturally, i freaked out.
Wrong... it's the other way... if it started wriggling without being ready to come out of the cocoon it's because your movement/sound disturbed and freaked it out.

>was moving in such a way that looked like a worm
because it is (or at least it was when it got in the cocoon)

>what this thing couldve been?
a fuckin moth, OP.. a fuckin moth.

I hate that shit... last time I made a time-lapse video... those mother fuckers are fat as the michelin mascot and eat their weight in plant leaves overnight before making their shitty hideout... kill all my plants in the blink of an eye.
>>
Brown recluse cocoon

Run the other way
>>
>>2143914
It's not a cocoon, it's a pupa.
There is a difference, if you want to be exact
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.