[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/, My boyfriend and I want to get a cat. Only problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: meowzers.jpg (273 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
meowzers.jpg
273 KB, 1280x800
Hey /an/,

My boyfriend and I want to get a cat. Only problem is, he's allergic. He can't be around them without sneezing horribly. He's willing to get the allergy shots. but are there preventative measures we could take?

I've been looking into:
- Certain Breeds
- Anti-dander pills/sprays for the cat
- hygiene

is there anything else we can do? Any advice would help. We both would really love to have a kitty.
>>
>>2142911
Hi OP. I'm allergic to cats in the same way. My eyes get itchy, I sneeze, and get red hives everywhere. I have a cat anyway. Eventually I sort of got used to her and I don't have reactions nearly as bad or as often. I suggest taking benadryl at first. Also, brushing your cat regularly will help. I wouldn't get a cat with long, thick hair, or one prone to shedding.
>>
>>2142913
OP here. I've always wanted a big, fat, fluffy cat. I guess that's not gonna be in the cards for this. Thanks for your advice!
>>
>>2142911
>>2142904
Fuck off to /lgbt/ or /cgl/ vermin lover
>>
>>2142915
Google allergy tolerant cat breeds and then make sure you know that your breeder is good. It's also something in there saliva, not the hair or dandriff, that causes a reaction.
>>
>>2142923
I did do a google search but I want to avoid hairless cats, and I've also been told to avoid bengals as well.
>>
>>2142927
>>2142921
>>
>>2142927
Not to sound rude, but maybe you should check out an actual breeds website, there are a few breeds that I know are longfurred and don't induce allergies. Maybe even type that into google, but I wouldn't do a bengal...I don't think they are a non-allergy cat and they are bred from Wildcats, so they need more care and attention and work.
>>
http://m.petmd.com/cat/wellness/evr_ct_hypoallergenic_cat_breeds
>>
>>2142928
>Obvious /b/tard is obvious
>>
>>2142931
>>2142921 (You)
>>
File: images-3.jpg (11 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
11 KB, 272x185
>>2142950
Your so adorable! I just want to squeeze your pissy little cheeks before you grow up and see how stupid this behavior is!
>>
>>2142968
>>2142921
>>
>>2142911
So 'You' want a cat.
And you're going to gradually cut him off sexually until you get your way.
>>
File: 051.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
051.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
>>2142911
Just petting your cat will get the excess hair off.
(No one breed sheds worse, sphinxes don't really shed at all however) Cats shed when stressed, common during weather change. Stress can be caused by an infinite number of reasons, especially consider how they will act to serious changes when they take on the personality of their owners i.e. you. They will eat grass and throw it up wherever they can, this is normal and serves more than one purpose. Anything that comes off or out of your cat can be used to mark territory.
Some cats like water, a majority do not, but trust and a good relationship with your cat can help you avoid squirming and blood when they desperately need a bath. Some collars can cause choking and some with flea chemicals can cause sickness and irritation to humans and the cat.
>anti-dandawhat? Ssssshhhh
Allergies? Cats will roll around in dirt, gravel, and dirty floors. Keep a breeze or get out more, keep a clean house, take showers and wash your hands, get a sticky roll-brush, and other scents (candles) can trick your allergies in a positive way. Cats are independent and outstanding acrobats, you can leave them alone even outside for long periods of time (of course depending on where you live). They can learn to come back to your doorstep. Toys and scratching objects can give a cat more than enough to do when isolated. remember to reward them. Reinforcement.
They make breath treats for cats. Cats don't get addicted to catnip. They clean themselves, everywhere, everywhere. Try reinforcement, everything within reason of course.
>Please refer to this guide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXBL6bzAR4

This is Winter. No idea what breed. But my favorite breeds are black and/or white. Bombays are veeery laid back cats, usually very fucking nice.
They also boost your Magic bonus by 10%
>>
File: stopposting.jpg (7 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
stopposting.jpg
7 KB, 224x224
>>2143026
Also, cats can and at times will hunt and kill rodents, not just mice.
For example, my cat (Noobs) grew up playing with fake mice, now he doesn't kill them, he plays with them. But he'll rip a rabbit or squirrel in half one minute and meow to not be let out of your arms the next.
We also have squinting competitions and he does pic related. We just watched James Bond, Mr. No and I think he gets off to seeing cat threads.

Your boyfriend should also avoid smothering his face into the cat. They can easily make you want to do this.
>>
>>2142915
Siberians are hypoallergenic, so that sounds like your best bet.
>>
>>2143011
Nah, he loves cats too. He says that he wasn't allergic as a child but now he suddenly is.
>>
>>2143026
Great video.

Thanks for your advice, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the cat's behavior.

I'm usually pretty good at keeping the home clean. My plan was to get an air purifier, that anti-dander fabreeze spray for the house, regular brushing and the anti-dander stuff you can put in their food once in a while.
>>
>>2143033
I'm sold. Getting a Siberian.
>>
>>2143011
r9k/pol please go back.
>>
>>2143110
Kill yourself
>>
>>2142911
donĀ“t get a cat if he is allergic
This can easily convert to asthma, even with allergy shots
>>
>>2142911
go with a Siberian or Russian blue. I've heard Siberians create less of the thing in their saliva compared to other cats that cause allergies and same for Russian blues to a lesser extent. I have a Russian blue and the cat never seems to shed much at all. other cats I've had when you pet them you can see them shed sometimes but I've never observed that with my blue so that might be part of it not having fur floating around
>>
File: siberian-cat8.jpg (587 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
siberian-cat8.jpg
587 KB, 1920x1200
>>2143110
>>
I'm allergic to cats and have some. Tell him to quit being a baby
>>
get a better pet cats a shit
>>
Well, starting off with, you have to find out what your boyfriend is actually allergic to. There are 3 allergens from a cat: one is the protein in their saliva, one is the natural sebum they secrete to keep their fur glossy, and one is just the natural bacteria that come with owning a cat.

There are catteries that breed a variety of breeds, including long haired breeds, that select for and choose the low-or-no protein production gene for the allergies.

As other anons said, people generally develop immunities to their own pets. I have 2 cats, I am severely allergic myself (I start tearing up and sneezing in front of other cats) but I have gotten used to mine. But this isn't really optimal or something that should be aimed for. As someone who took shots previously, I can tell you that inoculation is another method for people who have difficulties with needles, and it is best for you to start on the shots BEFORE introducing the cat. If something goes wrong and the cats trigger an already overloaded immune system from the shots, things can go wrong very very quickly and badly with your boyfriend going into shock and ending up in the ER.
>>
There is no such thing as a hypo allergenic cat. All cats produce fel-d-1 (allergen protein found in the saliva), but what differs is how much. At this time, there is no known way to produce low allergen cats; low fel-d-1 producers mated with low fel-d-1 producers can make a litter of all high allergen cats. There has only been one scientific study on this, and that is for the Siberian cat, and it showed that on average, the cats produce less fel-d-1 than average but there were still cats that produced the average amount or more.

I would suggest going to the homes these cats live in to see if there is a reaction. Even moggies can produce less fel-d1 on average, so even going the Craigslist route as long as it is a single cat household could work, and check out the cat in it's home. Any place with a lot of cats may throw you off if the allergies are sensitive enough
>>
>>2142927
You can still be allergic to hairless cats; the allergen is in the saliva not the fur. This means non shedding cats also produce allergens.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.