[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys want to know something? If you inject a spider's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
Do you guys want to know something?
If you inject a spider's leg with non-harmful venom, it will be unaware of it and no doubt die. if you inject it with painful venom, on the other hand, some spiders will be willing to self-amputate. And an amputation like that, unlike on insects, leave a lasting trauma on the spider for the rest of its life. This means that arachnids, unlike insects, can suffer rather than simply experience nociception. (They can also feel sex, but that's not really relevant when I'm trying to prove a point about morales) Wolf spiders carry over two dozen and up to around a thousand children on their back. While this may seem easily explainable as instinct, the mother carrys the egg-sac beneath her abdoman a similar way for the entire duration of the time her spiderlings are growing inside. Did you know that is a wolf spider mother is seperated from her egg-sac, she will starve sooner than give up looking for it? If she loses it off a cliff, a wolf spider mother will literally jump off to try and retrieve it.
Another fun fact. Tarantulas? They have pets. No, I'm not joking. Tarantulas own pets, which they keep in their house. They take frogs, and will bring them back to their hovels to keep as pets. While this is because the frogs will eat insects that can be harmful to the tarantula, humans initially domesticated cats to eat pests that could be harmful to them. And the tarantulas don't just keep the frogs as pets, they pet the frogs. They take their legs, gently stroke the frog's back, and pat the frog on its head, and lightly scratch behind the earholes. Let's just be honest here. Spiders are the most intelligent arthropods on the planet, and are on a path to intelligence that could easily lead to civilization. Several species already have a complex language comprised of dancing that certain researchers have set out to learn.
plus spiders are fuckin adorable.
>>
really makes you think....
>>
Neat
>>
Nice try wolfy.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 467x467) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 467x467
>>
>>2142127
>They can also feel sex

Spider don't have sex anon. They mate. There is very little physical interaction
>>
>>2142283
>taking him seriously
this is either bait from a very drunk Bugguy, an ironic shitposter, or an insane person
>>
The more you know
>>
File: sgalapgoensis2.jpg (328 KB, 1243x825) Image search: [Google]
sgalapgoensis2.jpg
328 KB, 1243x825
>>2142127
>Spiders are the most intelligent arthropods on the planet
no, centipedes are.
>>2142283
that's not true, there's plenty of physical interaction just not a whole lot of actual action.

they generally spend like a minute or 2 trying to push eachother over.
>>2142368
I don't get drunk on friday mornings.
>>
File: 1465133160337.jpg (730 KB, 2132x1839) Image search: [Google]
1465133160337.jpg
730 KB, 2132x1839
Sources anon? This is interesting but the pet part I can't just believe
>>
>>2142378
>no, centipedes are.
Would you please explain why you think that? Always loved centipedes.
>>
Got a source for any of this?
>>
>>2142283
How can you say that spiders don't have sex when it is general known that spiders perform cunnilingus..
>>
>>2142599
because they're escape artists, and unlike tarantulas they don't die if they get out.
>>
>>2142127
I feel guilty and have felt guilty for a long time, about the spiders I kill. I try to just shoo them away now.

There's one hiding somewhere near my legs, saw him earlier today sneaking around my desk so I nudged him with paper and he ran off.

Anyone got any advice for me on how to be more comfortable around spiders, to the point where I can move them out of my house? I don't like going so close to them really, i'm still scared.
>>
>>2142794
1. Gently lower a glass over it
2. Slip a piece of paper under it
3. Pull the paper tight
4. Tilt the cup to the upright position
5. Remove the paper
6. Lower it into your mouth and keep it in there until you feel comfortable
7. Release it outside to its natural habitat.
>>
>>2142796
I know this method but normally when I find spiders they are on ceilings or in cracks /corners and it's hard to trap them with a glass without them freaking and running everywhere. And when they run, I find it very scary for some reason, mostly because I can't keep track of them as fast as they can move.

Also for the same reason I don't use that method because they do sometimes sprint away even when on a flat surface
>>
>>2142796
>>2142800

> Lower it into your mouth and keep it in there until you feel comfortable

I think I should have read your instructions fully before responding lol, well played
>>
>>2142616
Not disagreeing or arguing, but to be fair most tarantulas can't really escape into anything resembling their natural habitat, and they're a lot bulkier so it's much harder to weasel out of a house. Besides, jumping spiders are the remarkably intelligent spiders.
>>
>>2143002
>jumping spiders
I woke up one morning to find a jumping spider the size of a quarter on my ceiling. I was amazed to see it follow me with its eyes as I moved about the room. They're the only spiders I've seen do that. I caught him and set him free outside, by the way.
>>
>>2143002
> most tarantulas can't really escape into anything resembling their natural habitat
tarantulas are pretty good at escaping, they just can't adapt well enough to survive afterwards.
>and they're a lot bulkier so it's much harder to weasel out of a house.
you'd be suprised how slippery tarantulas are.

centipedes don't get out of the house, if they're lost you can expect to find it again within 5 years and it'll have tripled in size.

centipedes catch bats in mid flight, don't see any spiders do that.
>>
>>2142587
Google it, I was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>2143141
Doesn't that just mean they're hardier and quicker?
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>mfw tarantulas won't even adopt me.
ree
>>
>>2142616
Thats a completely retarded reason to call them intelligent. Centipedes are just built in a more "escape friendly" way than most other arthropods.

By that logic, snakes are more intelligent than pigs, elephants, and dolphins.

Without research, my vote for most intelligent arthropod would be jumping spiders (maybe portias?) or perhaps some wasp species.

Centipedes don't do anything particularily intelligent, they are just strong and fast.
>>
>>2142794
Get one as a pet.
>>
>>2144424
they're not quicker than tarantulas.
>Centipedes are just built in a more "escape friendly"
wrong.

centipedes can't climb glass unlike tarantulas.
>Centipedes don't do anything particularily intelligent
catching bats in mid flight isn't intelligent?

ok.
>>
>>2144438
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>2142127
man, no joke here you've just inspired me to do some research and maybe consider getting a rosehair tarantula
>>
>>2144426
jumping spider, tarantula, and praying mantis
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.