[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /an/'s opinion on Blackfish? A light-shedding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: blackfish.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
blackfish.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
What's /an/'s opinion on Blackfish?

A light-shedding movie? Or a bunch of bullshit?
>>
Blackfish can potentially change or support your point of view on Seaworld or Orcas, not a bad movie at all.
>>
>>2142084
Watched it last night with my sister, I never had any interest of going because I know a little bit about Orcas.
My sister regrets ever going.

The movie might be a crock of shit but Orcas should not be kept in captivity on principle.
>>
#blackfishmatters
>>
>>2142071
the movie is blatantly biased and five seconds of research afterwards will verify that the makers were quite selective with their interviewees and took quite a few liberties with the editing of footage.

i don't like people pissing in my pocket and telling me it's rain but goddamn if the stories about the orca's mourning for each other and tillikum's slow decent into madness didn't tug at my heart strings.

i think the argument they made for killer whales could be made for a lot of animals held in captivity, unfortunately zoo's are very profitable.
>>
>>2142205
>unfortunately zoo's are very profitable.

More like fortunately, zoo increase animal populations, provide animals for research/understanding, and can hold the world's few last survivors (before their impending extinction) so all can see it before death.

Shit zoos are shit. Good zoos are good.
>>
>>2142218
While seaworld takes giant intelligent mammals that require a ton of social interaction, stimulation and a huge area to roam in and sticks them in a small tank usually on their own or with other orcas who abuse them.
They probably like the attention and maybe even doing the tricks but the space and mistreatment of the whales is what drives them to rebel.
Orcas in the wild do not tend to be aggressive to humans, mostly curiosity and mischief like most intelligent animals.
At most you have one dude who was bitten and one boat that was sank, no deaths on record.

I am generally against keeping extremely intelligent animals in captivity like some of the great apes but their enclosures I have seen tend to be big enough for their needs and usually are treated well.
I think Zoos are a dying thing as well.
It is heaven in comparison to seaworld.
>>
>>2142238
I agree, it's shitty that seaworld stuffs them into small areas.

I still believe that doesn't make all zoos bad. Alot of good can come from them if they treat animals well and follow regulations.

It's a hard balance of ethics to find when holding animals captive.
>>
>>2142246
Zoos are a grey area, you have some great ones that take expert of their animals, promote the species survival and breed them. Then you have the shitty ones like the one in Argentina that kept that polar bear in a tiny enclosure that was not cooled, it was basically cooking in a hot country.

Still my local zoo takes good care of their animals, third oldest in the world too.
>>
I heard that SeaWorld has stopped breeding orcas now. I have a vacation coming up in a couple of months and I'm thinking of going. Do you guys think I should?
>>
>>2142933
>supporting SeaWorld's amazingly preventable fuck-ups
Go somewhere else, like an Aquarium.
>>
>>2142937
t. Schlomo
>>2142933
Go see Shamu anon
>>
>>2142071
Killer Whales are Satan of the ocean and should be exterminated with extreme prejudice. I'm getting fucking tired of humans wiping out all the nice, pretty, peaceful animals and leaving the shitty ones.
>>
>>2143065
>I'm getting fucking tired of humans wiping out all the nice, pretty, peaceful animals and leaving the shitty ones.
So why should we kill orca's again?
>inb4 orca's are meanie's because they're predators and eat seals >:-(
I mean, you'd have to be like a damn five year old child in that case, but I can't think of why they'd be shitty. They don't kill people often, hell its debated if they've ever killed anyone in the wild.
>>
>>2143134
>So why should we kill orca's again?
Because they prey upon intelligent animals. Often in an intensely sadistic fashion. If it's wrong for humans to hunt and torture Whales, it's certainly wrong for other Whales to do so.

>and eat seals
I actually wasn't even thinking about seals, but yeah, they do the same to them.

>They don't kill people often, hell its debated if they've ever killed anyone in the wild.
Why should I care if they kill humans? That only proves their evil nature. They see the vile humans as kindred spirits because you're both dogshit.
>>
I get that the Orca's were a shitty money making gimmick, and it was unethical due to the Orca's care requirements. This should in no ways be excused, and I'm glad its been stopped. However, I absolutely hate it when radical groups have to get gut reactions out of people and cherry pick facts.
There are better ways to go about this in certain situations and it just makes the supported side look even worse and creates a divide in the support base.
>>
File: 1458439208763.jpg (36 KB, 375x411) Image search: [Google]
1458439208763.jpg
36 KB, 375x411
>>2142205
>seaworld
>a zoo
>>
File: 1457807459404.jpg (260 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
1457807459404.jpg
260 KB, 900x948
>>2143137
>2016
>applying morals concepts like good and evil to animals
They just want to eat and fuck
>>
>>2143595
That's okay then, right? Explain why.
>>
>>2143596
Because otherwise they'd starve to death? I'm not really sure why you explicitly have a problem with Orcas and their hunting methods. There isn't really any right or wrong when animals can't reflect back on their actions or reflect back on their own thoughts.
>>
>>2143598
>I'm not really sure why you explicitly have a problem with Orcas and their hunting methods.
Why would you have a problem with me ripping out your family members' livers, masturbating with their corpses, tying you up and batting you around while laughing and then releasing you? I just don't get it man. It's just nature.

>There isn't really any right or wrong when animals can't reflect back on their actions or reflect back on their own thoughts.
Most humans can't do that. We still have laws to stop you sociopaths from totally destroying society.
>>
>>2143601
wew lad I'm sorry you don't like Orcas but sadistically murdering a guys family over nothing would be a sign of a mental illness, so that would be abnormal and not part of natural human behavior.
>>
>>2143603
So you're saying that Orcas are mentally ill? I'd agree with that.

>Sadism and brutality aren't natural to humans
Lel what a faggot. Remove all laws for literally 1 minute and no longer and watch society go up in flames.
>>
>>2143606
Orcas aren't mentally ill because their not on the same mental level as humans. If an Orca is mentally ill it probably starves to death from it's inability to hunt.

>Remove all laws for literally 1 minute and no longer and watch society go up in flames.
Sorry I don't live in niggerville, but whenever it floods where I live people don't immediately start looting. I think if you would interact with other people more often you'd realize nobody's going to go out and start shooting just because cops aren't around.
>>
>>2143607
Cops don't have to be around. Laws are in place. If we made rape, murder and slavery legal, I guarantee you within a week our society would be unrecognizable. You're just another stupid anthropocentric sociopathic little shit. You think monkeys are special when they're not and you honestly don't really believe in good or evil at all, that's why you don't see it in other animals because you don't even see it in yourself. Rape, cannibalism and recreational murder occur in nature all the time and resorting to the naturalistic fallacy doesn't make them right and it never will.
>>
>>2143606
It's not like those laws sprung up from nothing, we created them and most of us agree with their basic principles. Yes there is the "lucifer effect", and people in shitty situations have a probability to act shittily, some more so than others. Obviously it's somewhere in our genes. Life wasn't easy 100 000 years ago.
>>
>>2143610
I think you're misunderstanding the other guy.
>>
>>2143610
Nice projecting there buddy, but I don't think animals can be good or evil because they lack the same capabilities as humans to think. The only "right" thing for an animal is to get fed and get laid.
>>
>>2143471
Aquatic recreational centre featuring live amphibious creature exhibits?
>>
>>2143615
Maybe good and evil doesn't exist.
>>
>>2142933
I second going to an actual aquarium. Seaworld is like a really shitty aquarium with more trash and fat hispanics, and a few bored orcas.

I recommend the Long Beach Aquarium.
>>
I'd like to know how much the theme park aspect of seaworld influences funding.
Seaworld isn't much of an aquarium compared to actual aquariums, but I do remember something about it being a really big animal rehab group, so I don't know if all of the shut down seaworld hype that black fish made is a good or a bad thing. The mistreatment of orcas however has thankfully been stopped though.
>>
When I first thought about it, it sounded pretty cool so I invited my boyfriend to watch with me. We kinda zoned out together. It isn't that spectacular of a movie. And then we got to see a whale being jerked off. That was great. But overal pretty meh movie
>>
>>2143610
>Forced copulation is wrong
go and stay go
>>
>>2143166
There is NO better way to go about this. Thanks to the movie, SW had to bend over.
You need this kind of propaganda to get shit done.
>>
Guys

Guys
This is freaking me out
I can't find the mouth or eyes of the orca in op 's picture. Can anyone help me out?
>>
>>2143610
Way to derail the thread at the expense of making yourself look like a retard
>>
just found this thread. I saw Blackfish, and I was glad to hear that Sea World has decided to stop breeding Orcas and will phase out their program.

I have a question for the anons saying it was propaganda and edited with bias and such. Did they make claims that were false in the movie? if so, what were they?
I get that the directors had a motive - to show that Orcas can suffer in captivity, forced to live in unnatural social groups and in areas too small for them. But did their bias change the facts?
I'm not an /an/ regular, but I enjoy lurking from time to time. You guys with those complaints against the movie I mentioned - I'm assuming you're more knowledgeable than me about Orcas and Sea World, even the movie. Would one or more of you care to go into a little more detail? I felt the movie taught me a great deal, so I'm a bit suspicious now is all.

thanks.

oh, fwiw, I grew up in the 80s and had a Shamu stuffed animal - my grandparents took my sister and I there a couple of summers growing up. I liked it fine, but I wasn't ever inclined to grow up and swim with whales or go into marine biology. It was just an average park experience for us. I preferred shows with human dancers to animals doing tricks as a kid.
I heard about Dawn Brancheau's death when some people at work were talking - by then the story was already that it had to do with her ponytail that was the "cause".
>>
>>2142071
not a bad movie
didn't do anything for me but i learned stuff
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.