[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beetle thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9
File: Beedle.jpg (41 KB, 563x406) Image search: [Google]
Beedle.jpg
41 KB, 563x406
Hey /an/.
Tell me about your beetle bros, whether they're something you just found outside or you keep them as pets.

To start I found an ivory marked longhorn borer in my pool patio today and I carried him over to a tree so he wouldn't drown, but it got me thinking about keeping him. Is it possible? I've googled the species a bit but no one seems to keep them compared to the typical stags and other big beetles.
>>
File: 20160609_134111-1.jpg (2 MB, 1554x1656) Image search: [Google]
20160609_134111-1.jpg
2 MB, 1554x1656
Borer bro
>>
File: 1464811738362.jpg (183 KB, 800x579) Image search: [Google]
1464811738362.jpg
183 KB, 800x579
People don't really like them, but I think they're cool.
>>
Been wanting to get into beetle breeding but it seems pretty inclusive and I'm having trouble figuring out how to even get started.
>>
>>2141971
Hey did you guys know it's June?

Hey get out of the way

Get out of the-

BONK
>>
File: shinyhappybeetle.jpg (147 KB, 1224x912) Image search: [Google]
shinyhappybeetle.jpg
147 KB, 1224x912
>>2141971
From my understanding, Cerambycids just take far too long to develop and they can be more picky about wood substrate contents than nooby fruit beetles and the like. If they're common then I guess local longhorns could be a nice pet project (for you).

>>2142054
It's only inclusive insofar as having a mild learning curve and gradual, occasionally gruelling results. When I started I just dove straight in and bought an easy adult pair (Xylotrupes gideon) for a fairly hands-on start. I focused on getting a few eggs, then when there were a few L1 larvae to rear I ventured into other species, mainly as larvae and a couple of cheaper species as adults. It was a very relaxing, cute hobby while I had the time in my early teens, but in the end I just grew too impatient for their life cycles and sold everything once they became adults a few years back. Pic related, one of my last guys (kinshi-fed major male Phalacrognathus muelleri).
>>
>>2142085
God that is a pretty beetle, it hurts me that they only live so long.

What resources would you recommend for a beginner?
>>
I wish we could import exotic beetles in the U.S. . All I have are some darkling/ironclads and a warrior beetle. Stupid laws.
>>
Found this magnificent bastard at the supermarket, I am setting him free in the forest at dusk. I can take as many pictures with as many angles as anyone desires. He's feasting on some soggy watermelon at the moment. American giant stag.
>>
>>2142578
You can get blue death-feinting beetles though.
>>
File: image.jpg (303 KB, 1156x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
303 KB, 1156x839
>>
>>2142268

Are you planning to breed anything specific?
There's plenty of breeding guides for Cetoniinae, Dynastinae and Lucanidae.
For beginners I'd recommend stuff like Pachnoda Marginata and Zophobas Morio; both can be found in any pet store that sells feeding insects.
>>
>>2142072
I'm really not sure how junebugs do anything useful with their lives, like mate.
>>
>>2142985
what species are these beetles?
>>
>>2143568
Anglicus eternius.
>>
>>2143522
What would you recommend out of Dynastinae and Lucanidae? I've done Zophobas Morio as a kid, it's stupid simple, I'm assuming other beetles would be more complicated.
>>
Anyone know a good place to buy mounted beetle specimens?
>>
>>2143842

Dynastinae:

Xylotrupes, Oryctes, Strategus and Cyphonistes; their generation duration tends to be less than a year and their larvae aren't too picky with the soil as long as it contains rotten wood.

With Lucanidae I have very little experience;
Some people say Phalacrognathus Muelleri (the colorful stagbeetle) is good for beginners. Their evolution takes around 8 months which is ridiculously short for stag beetles but their larvae require a special soil/funghi combination from what I know.
Otherwise I'd say Dorcus and Prospocoilus since they're very common on the market and their generation duration is around one year +/- a few months
>>
File: 1465742831513-1884576609.jpg (778 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
1465742831513-1884576609.jpg
778 KB, 2688x1520
This is my bug
>>
Is there any way to legally get rhinoceros/stag beetles into the U.S.? It seems that the permits require you to be a laboratory.
>>
>>2142036
>flaining around like a useless piece of garbage
>cool
the only cool thing about those is the fact they're technically scarabs
>>
>>2142799
Cool find Anon. He looks so badass.
>>
>>2143887
Any guides on preparing the substrate?
>>
>>2144816
I used to sit for hours with an old blender and mix up dead oak and beech leaves and soft-decay white wood (high leaf ratio for Cetoniinae, all wood for Lucanidae, somewhere in the middle for Dynastinae), then sieve it until it was fine and fluffy, maybe with a pinch of yeast and warmth (that's how the Japs did it). Very time-wasting and autistic, but it seemed to work. I'm sure there are better, more up-to-date guides out there by now.
>>
File: 4I5ThqJ.jpg (250 KB, 1099x733) Image search: [Google]
4I5ThqJ.jpg
250 KB, 1099x733
Just found this ladybug pupa on a bush outside while looking for the larvae.
God they are weird
>>
>>2144866
Thanks anon.

Probably going to try to get my hands on a Lucanidae to start out. Just need to read up more on appropriate substrate. It's pretty difficult to find any guides since most related search terms bring up home improvement shit on how to prevent mold on wood or whatever.

Hope Dorcus Curvidens are allowed in Cali, would be cool to get my hands on one one day.
>>
>>2143973
Pls help.
>>
Anyone here know what to feed a female rhinoceros beetle? Shes small, southern AZ. I made a little rock and dirt flooring for her and she burrowed under a piece of tomato I expected her to eat (since i had nothing else) , gonna buy a banana or something later since I ehard they might eat that
>>
>>2147145
You can't import certain types of beetles because they're considered pests anon, there's no way around it.
>>
>>2147180
Pretty stupid, desu.
>>
Do dung beetles hiss like Rhinos?
>>
>>2147680

Most beetles make noises which sound like wind-up toys by rubbing the abdomen against their wings.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.