[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got my ball python 4 days ago from a breeder. hes not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: black-pastel-col.jpg (149 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
black-pastel-col.jpg
149 KB, 800x600
I just got my ball python 4 days ago from a breeder. hes not very old around 14-15 inches id estimate ive handled him around 2 times since getting him just to make sure hes okay i worry alot. today i tried feeding and he wouldnt eat i had a rat pup. Is it because i handled him? is he not adjusted ot his cage yet? im worried
>>
>Worried about a snake not eating
Jesus, some of them eat like one rat a year, dude. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>2141352
OP here also it was a fresh killed rat pup should i try live in a few days?
>>
>>2141353
Yeah but hes a baby
>>
Fucking where to start
>got him 4 days ago, handled him twice
leave him the fuck alone anon general accepted time is about 1 week as an adjustment period
>handled him before feeding
generally dont do this either

Rat pup should be ok as long as its equal or smaller than his largest part
>>
>>2141352

Wait another week. Don't handle. Only go in tank to change water bowl or spot clean if necessary. Heat the thawed rat (thaw in room temperature water) in hot water for a minute or two right before you offer to snake. Ball pythons are camel tier when it comes to eating. They can easily fast for months with only minimal weight loss. Don't worry. If after a week he still doesn't eat, wait another week before trying again. He will be perfectly fine.
>>
>>2141360
Not extended handling like picked up and checked if he was doing fine even though its bad i know im just worried :( his temps are good also, i didnt handle him before feeding though i made sure especially ot let him be alone before feeding
>>
>>2141352
Ball pythons are notoriously finicky eaters. Did he eat only live food previously? He may reject dead mice. He may be stressed out because of the move too. Or he may just not be hungry. I'd wait another week without disturbing him and try feeding him again. If he doesn't take to the frozen mouse, try live.
>>
>>2142184
>try live.

Nope. Any halfway competent breeder would have had the hatchling feeding on frozen thawed before selling anyway.
>>
He's in blue I think that's why he didn't eat I checked today he's in blue
>>
A ball python is literally the worst pet for someone who is worried about things not eating.

Stop handling him for a while, or nearly as often, and accept he might go months and months not eating for little to no reason.

Also post a picture of your setup, he might not be feeling secure or something.
>>
As the anons mentiond before, do not touch the snake for at least 7 days.
Try feeding at night when he leaves his hide.

Try braining a thawed, warmed rat, if the snake doesn't take it, do as follows:

Take a small, dark container (just big enough for the snake to fit into) and drill a few holes in it (just a few, so it won't suffocate).
Put the snake and the Rat (the brained one) in the container. Put the lid on and leave it for the night. Don't check on it until the next morning.

Open it in the morning and the snake should have eaten.
If it hasn't eaten the rat, just try again a week later.

Make sure the container is not too high.

That is how I got my stubborn little male BP to eat

also, this
>>2142414
>>
A ball python is the best snake for not liking snakes anymore
>>
>>2142457
Boo! BPs are adorable as fuck and a good choice of snek if you want something that isn't super wiggly like a colubrid. Bad choice if you want a snek to watch doing stuff. I like my bp because he is like to reptile equivalent of a cow. His relaxed demeanor is a refreshing contrast to my hippy hoppy speedy geckos.
>>
>>2142577
They're picky fucking assholes that hide away from food they don't like. By far one of the most infuriating snakes i've ever tried to feed, and this is coming from a guy who had to switch three mouse addicted carpet pythons over to rats. At least the carpets had the decency to try and strike at their meals or ignore them outright rather than tuck their heads away like little bitches and continue to play the waiting game until they got what they wanted. Hell, I had a friend who's ball starved itself near the point of death because neither it nor its owner were willing to cave until a vet had to get involved.
>>
>>2141360
>general accepted time is about 1 week as an adjustment period

general accepted time is after they eat twice. If they don't eat for 6 months, you don't touch them for 6 months. If they don't feel safe, they will not eat. When snakes eat, they lose their only means of defense - their mouth. Introducing them to a new home is very stressful. They don't know where the dangers are and if it's safe to eat or not. If you keep poking at them, it will make them that much more paranoid. you have to wait until they're eating regularly because it shows their stress levels have dropped and they're feeling more secure.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.