[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your own Secret Garden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 17
File: forest.png (114 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
forest.png
114 KB, 200x200
Hello my dearies,
I come to you with a fun game in prospective, inspired by my future project to come!
I am moving in a year in a mediterranean country, and will acquire a plot of land of approximatively 1 ha or 10000m2, on which I will build my own abode, which would include among other things an artist's den, a research laboratory, an astronomer's tower, and the most exciting, a very wide garden.
Here's where you come in, I want you, given the space and climate, to imagine the perfect garden by stating here what plants, trees, flowers you would assemble in the great garden of approx. 5000m2, and perhaps post pictures of those. I also welcome interior plants, which would be a nice addition I am considering as well.
I have a budget of 10 000 euros for the garden!

Show me your secret garden :)
>>
OP here!

I have a selection of trees here, some that bring memories regarding to past travels, such as the Lebanese Cedar, and the Pine of Alep, others that pertain to my current garden, which are cherry, fig, olive, apple, apricot trees that I plan on planting in the future garden.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>2141038

Are you serious.

If you are, get an olive tree.

Also consider a pond.
>>
>>2141041
I am very serious. My circumstances are lucky, I have just inherited a big portion of land, and a very well paid job in the prospect of moving there. Also, I'll be working only 20h/week so I have a lot of time to spend gardening.

I would love to have a pond, that's a great idea, thanks. Mind telling me what kind of plants you would add to the pond? I was thinking maybe some moss, water lillies and bamboo sprouts?
>>
OP here again!

as for fruits bushes, I was thinking strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackcurrant and cranberry.
Yummy !

But, really I am interested in seeing the beauty of your own minds people, not just to add to my list of plants to consider!
>>
My ideal garden has lemon trees, brugmansias, masses of tuberose and trellises grown over with sambac jasmine. There's a terracotta patio with large planters all around it with flowering tobacco in each one, and a pergola overhead for moonflowers.

You should have at least one lemon tree for sure.
>>
>>2141048
Wow! that really sounds delightful, I'm not familiar with most of these species of plants, give me a moment to google them!
But as for the pergola, I definitel agree with you, as a matter of fact I have one in my current house's garden which is intertwined with grapevines from which the clusters of grapes fall through in the summer.
Also, yes, I do believe a lemon tree is in order here, there is actually one at my grandparent's house in the country I'm moving in, I might get one too.
Thanks for your feedback, I'll go check the plants you mentioned out right now!
>>
>>2141048
I just looked for the flowers you mentioned, they are beautiful! as for color tones, which choice of patterns would you go for, in these particular flowers?

I am considering purple, blue, lilac and white for my personal taste of tones. Any recommendations for me, in this particular aspect?

By the way, I am absolutely in love with jasmine, whether it is the look or the smell. My dad used to pluck them for me when he was on his way home returning from work, in the hot summer in Beyrouth, and give them to me as a gift...
>>
File: phlox-divaricata.jpg (51 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
phlox-divaricata.jpg
51 KB, 600x600
here are a few examples of the color of flowers I like, if anyone knows some that might interest me as well, please do share!
>>
File: clematis.jpg (86 KB, 600x531) Image search: [Google]
clematis.jpg
86 KB, 600x531
I like very much this color, though not as fond of the wrinkled texture of the petal on this particular flower!
>>
File: omphalodes.jpg (49 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
omphalodes.jpg
49 KB, 600x429
there's a beautiful multicolored pattern, which surprisingly looks good to me, though I was dubious at first of mixed tones!
>>
>tfw will never be wealthy as OP apparently is

I should just sob into my poor people clothes.

Anyway, what's the hardiness zone for the land? It'll make it easier to pick flowers if we know what sort of conditions they'll be in.
>>
File: meconopsis-bailey.jpg (198 KB, 452x600) Image search: [Google]
meconopsis-bailey.jpg
198 KB, 452x600
>>2141060
sorry to hear about your misfortune, to be quite honest, I don't deserve the wealth I have, but I try to give back as much as I can in my work.

As for the hardiness zone, it is described in the scientific literature as "mediterranean zone" with 500-1000m of altitude. I would consider it fertile soil with the region getting about 400ml of rainfall per year. Also, if that might help to get an idea, there are a lot of plant nurseries in the region and agricultural lands, as it is in a rural part of the country.
>>
File: brugmansia.1.jpg (212 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
brugmansia.1.jpg
212 KB, 1024x683
>>2141050
The ones I rec'd all come in white (inb4 /pol/). I grow for fragrance first, looks second. Fragrant plants are often white or pink. Sadly, blue is rarely fragrant. Besides white, brugmansias come in pink, yellow and orange. I think the orange ones are prettiest. They're like a rain of sunrises.
>>
File: hibiscus-syriacus.jpg (68 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
hibiscus-syriacus.jpg
68 KB, 400x600
another flower that is endemic to the region, as well as beautifully colored.

For anyone wondering why those tones, it's because in my mind, I'd like to see this garden as a reflection of the skies, and for it to match every gradient of the colors of sunset, sunrise.

>>2141068
White is a very neutral tone, it does well wherever it grows, and appeases the eyes. I can definitely understand that it's your favorite.
Thanks for the tip on fragrance and color relation, I was not aware of that.
Also, now that I think about it, orange should be added on my list as it does indeed sublimate the experience of a sunrise. I can already imagine watching the sun rise and complete into the tone of the flowers I will plant.
Reminds me of an LSD experience one morning in my garden, lol!
>>
File: bearded-iris.jpg (20 KB, 253x200) Image search: [Google]
bearded-iris.jpg
20 KB, 253x200
I'd like to mention that I am also very much fond of the deep, almost sanguine purples. If there is a satin texture to the petal, I am so satisfied!
>>
File: iris-chrysophages.jpg (28 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
iris-chrysophages.jpg
28 KB, 400x600
and one more dark, almost black as the night, iris!
>>
File: crocosmia-georgedavison.jpg (41 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
crocosmia-georgedavison.jpg
41 KB, 600x402
let's look into the oranges, shall we?

here's an example of the tone of orange I like, not too bright and vivid, more yellow than red on the color wheel, a tender aspect..
>>
File: euonymus-europaeus.jpg (133 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
euonymus-europaeus.jpg
133 KB, 600x429
I'm currently browsing nurseries to look for pretty flowers, and found this cutie pie of a flower!
isn't this cute as a button, literally?
I'm usually indifferent to pinks, but the shape of those petals, almost look like candies!
>>
File: dahlia.jpg (63 KB, 402x600) Image search: [Google]
dahlia.jpg
63 KB, 402x600
and then, there's this café au lait, sweet and creamy dahlia!
I'm in love with the color!
>>
File: rosa-carolynknight.jpg (122 KB, 401x600) Image search: [Google]
rosa-carolynknight.jpg
122 KB, 401x600
and a light orange, to creamy colored rose I like. I'm thinking the contrast of blues and oranges will work well.
>>
File: tulipa-stunningapricot.jpg (31 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
tulipa-stunningapricot.jpg
31 KB, 600x400
>>
>>2141086
I like the blue and orange idea. That will be a very pretty color scheme.
>>
>>2141089
thanks, it just "dawned" on me, that those are the main patterns of the sunrise!
>>
>>2141038
Sounds cool, will you have any animals like fish in ponds?
>>
get the hardscapes and grass done before you start thinking about what plants to use.

it's a beginners mistake.
>>
File: TAMLIN.jpg (30 KB, 236x334) Image search: [Google]
TAMLIN.jpg
30 KB, 236x334
>>2141098
I think the regular koi carps, and possibly somme fathead minnows too. Maybe some frogs for decoration, and water turtles - not sure how they're called in english- if I have the chance to find some.

I'll also add a few bird feeders, birdhouses in the trees, and also will have outdoor cats and dogs, as well as hens, goats and maybe a bunny enclosure too.
>>
>>2141101
thanks for the advice, I will definitely plan ahead on the hardscrapes before doing anything, I'll actually design an architectural drawn plan of the positions of decorative objects, like statues or the pergola, the pond - before planting anything.
Also, I will take care of the grass first, before any other plant.
>>
>>2141066
Well, if you're ever looking for an internet sugarbaby...I don't actually deserve the wealth you have, either.

I'm partial to hibiscus. The flowers get pretty big, and you can find it in a lot of different colors. I think lavender might work in your zone, too, but you might want to consult the plant general. I'm no expert. Lavender would be a nice fragrant addition, though.

Irises are pretty easygoing plants, as are daylilies. Daylilies are lovely, and pretty hardy.
>>
File: lolrekt.jpg (140 KB, 888x500) Image search: [Google]
lolrekt.jpg
140 KB, 888x500
>>2141102
>and also will have outdoor cats
> bird feeders, birdhouses in the trees
>water turtles
>bunny enclosure
>hens
it's like you're trying to make your garden look like auschwitz.
>>
>>2141105
>I'll actually design
no, you FINISH them before you start planting.

otherwise you'll end up trampling them during the building process, it happens all the time.
>>
>>2141107
I don't quite catch your drift.
If it is a question about space allocation, I assure you the emplacement of each category of animals, like the pond, or the tree birdhouses and the bunny enclosure will be quite distant from each other, as I said I have about an hectare of land to play with here.
But please tell me exactly what you mean, I'm willing to consider constructive criticism and it's much appreciated.

>>2141109
oh alright, of course you are right. I'll make sure to finish the construction of the garden before planting anything.
>>
>>2141106
thanks for your insight on the flowers, I do believe lavender will be a great addition to the whole, and I love the smell of it, I could harvest some and make some bouquets to put in clothes drawers for the good smell, like I did once in Provence.

As for your proposal, I'd be glad to be your sugarmama, but I'm actually soon to be engaged to my future husband.
>>
>>2141113
>soon to be engaged
It was worth a shot. Congrats, by the way.

I'm a novice, so I have nothing else to really offer. Good luck!
>>
>>2141112
>I don't quite catch your drift.
the cats will end up killing everything, littering your entire yard with decomposing corpses.

outdoor dogs/cats will shit and piss everywhere, and your lawn will look like swiss cheese and your planted borders will look like cafe latte from all the fertilizer burn.
>about an hectare of land
I don't think you realize how small a hectare of land is.

it's really not that much outside of the city.

look into permacultures.
>>
>>2141117
thanks :) I wish you best of luck too, I'm sure you'll eventually get a nice garden all by yourself !

>>2141120
Ah I see, thanks for drawing the picture better, I wasn't really sure what you meant!
I guess I'll think again about having all these animals. I might have an indoor cat only, and train my dog to go in a selected area where I can clean it up.
Also, yes I know an hectare isn't that big, I currently have a 120m2 garden and it's already quite big for me. so, it's kind of a question of contrast.

Thanks for the tip on permacultures, will look it up as soon as I finish dinner ;)
>>
File: Wisteria Passiflora.jpg (160 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
Wisteria Passiflora.jpg
160 KB, 800x599
>>2141112
Apart from that guy.
you should really consider the plants you're putting in the grounds, since if you have cats and dogs they can be very poisonous to them.
if i remember correctly has a quite powerful "poison" in all it's plant parts as an example.

Also the irritated fellow hammers on the fact that you pretty much have to put in all the pavement and hardscape in before doing anything with the garden.

First paving all , then planting.

Also, consider kinds like Wisteria Passiflora
>>
>>2141125
>BRUGMANSIA has a quite powerful poison
>>
>>2141125
>>2141127

Thanks so much for the warning, I will look up each individual plant and it's properties regarding to animal health before purchasing it.

Wisteria Passiflora has such an incredible pattern, I'm definitely thinking of acquiring some, especially in those purple and white tones.
>>
>>2141102
Don't get cats, they kill too many birds and too many animals.
>>
>>2141127
It's deadly.
>>
>>2141107
>outdoor cats
>/an/
You tryna start a shit storm my man?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.