[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are ways to keep my asshole cat from jumping up on the counter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
What are ways to keep my asshole cat from jumping up on the counter without scarring him for life? I bought him a cat tree, which he kinda likes, but whenever I'm in the kitchen he jumps up on the counter, as well as other places I'd rather not have him on. Also, how should I keep him from playing with cords? Should sour apple spray be fine, or?
>>
Bitter apple, yes. There are covers you can buy like Chewsafe and CritterCord, but you can also make them yourself out of plastic tubing.

As for counters, make it an unpleasant place for the cat to be. Cover the edges he'd jump on with double-sided tape or aluminum foil - cats don't like these textures. Give him an alternative place to climb up when he's in the kitchen and praise/treat him for being there.

Don't squirt him with a squirtbottle or otherwise punish him. He'll just connect the punishment with you rather than the behavior and will continue to go on the counters when you're not present.
>>
>>2140861
I was going to recommend tin foil as well. Cats hate standing on it.
>>
My weird ass cat hates the smell of oranges, so whenever I eat one I leave the orange peels on the counter for a while, and he never jumps on there again.
>>
>>2141157
That's actually not weird at all. Most cats hate the scent of citrus fruits such as lemons and oranges.

That's a clever "repellent", though. Might have to give it a shot myself.
>>
>>2140841
cover your counters in foil covered in some kind of cooking oil

cat will only have to touch the foil and slip off the counter a few times before it stops trying
>>
My cat used to jump on a side table every time he followed me into the kitchen. I just picked him up by the scruff, told him 'no' and put him down. I don't remember how long it took, buut he always goes underneath the table now.
>>
File: aaaabsilkyterrier.jpg (13 KB, 330x237) Image search: [Google]
aaaabsilkyterrier.jpg
13 KB, 330x237
I have an asshole dog who doesn't shut up. she is a silky terrier, with a dick personality and an ear piercing bark. She barks at the most retarded of things, like the sound of a pen dropping. The only way to keep her quiet is to lock her in my parents room and everything is fine. But me mum does not like that, and constantly tells me to "Just deal with it. Its just noise."

She won't let me lock her in the room anymore, and now that fucking dog never shuts off. So I came up with a plan.

>Go to Amazon
>Buy sports air horn
>Forcibly deal with the fucking barking from a dog I never agreed to have
>open package
>randomly blow horn at different parts of the day
>mother asks me to stop
>says ok
>continue blowing horn next day
>I get yelled at
>they obviously don't like it
>I tell them that it is just noise
>and that they need to deal with it
>buy a small supply of horns
>use them like hell
>they try to take some away, but I always have more
>they ask me what I want in turn to stop
>the dog now gets locked in the room whenever I'm out
>air horns stop

Now ain't that a fucking win. pic related, its her breed
>>
>>2143335

Trash-tier dog for trash-tier people.
I apologize on their behalf and ask that if you must, end them quickly and painlessly.
No one deserves to live with constant barking from neurotic and poorly trained toy breeds.
>>
Push him off and tell him no? When he gets down give him a treat? Squirt gun? You people have some retarded ass questions
>>
>>2143338

I can't kill her! My mom will be pissed.
>>
>>2143342

I wasn't talking about the dog, silly kohai. :3c
>>
>>2143344

kek. I'm just happy that I can finally lock that fucking rat up in the room whenever I want now. At least, when I was using the horn, they felt the same pain I did ('they' being both parents) and now they understand.
>>
I just got a kitten a month ago. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I know some of this is just normal kitten stuff but still I want her to grow up and be a chill cat.

>she bites the ever living fuck out of me
>i'm pretty sure its playing for the most part but still she bites hard
>hasn't been scratching that much but she's been climbing my screen doors and ripping them up
>constantly jumps on my kitchen table and I chase her off, still won't take the hint
>bought her a shark bed but can never get her to use
>ive seen her use it when i get home from work but she immediately gets out when i get home
>her nails are long as fuck, what's the best way to cut them?

On top of that she's just fucking crazy 90% of the time running around and shit. The other 10% she's chill as fuck and exactly what I want in a cat.

I assume this is all just kitten stuff though right? Like she'll grow out of it? She's only 5 months old.
>>
>>2143358

You can't tell the personality of an adult cat from its behavior as a kitten.
Play with her more. For, like, an hour. Until she's panting and looks ready to keel over.
Get a cat tree or something; with a rough scratching post attached, if you can.
Get citrus or apple spray and wipe it on surfaces you want her away from.
>>
>>2143360
my grandmom gave me an old perching thing with a scratch post on it that I've seen her use a few times. As I said she doesn't scratch much. It's mostly just biting and climbing I want to stop her from doing. I tried to get her to use those cardboard scratch things but she's not a fan.
>>
>>2143358
if you want to have the nails shorter right away you need to see how much she struggles when you hold her and touch her paws. if she only struggles a bit, it might be enough to get someone to hold her, leaving your hands free to cut her nails. if she struggles a lot, you could snugly wrap her in a towel, only leaving the paw you're working on free.

to get her to accept cutting her nails more easily, get her used to it in small steps. so first just touching the paw, then holding it. when she's accepted that pressing the pad to extend her nails, and after that you can try the nails trimmer. but not all cats get used to nail trimming. you might have to hold her down each time.
>>
>>2140841
Just let him?? Who the fuck cares, they're fucking counters, if he has shit on his feet just hit that shit with some Lysol when he gets down

goddamn I swear you people are such faggots
>>
File: DSC_0564.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0564.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Got 8 year old cat about 2 months ago, see picture.
She can't jump higher than around 1 metre. Chairs are okay, but desks are impossible, kitchen counters of course as well.
It is useful since I dobĀ“n't have to worry about knives and shit, but I'm a bit worried that there's something wrong with her feet.
Last owner said it's because her feet are so short.
Can this be? Or should I maybe get her checked out?
>>
>>2143358
when my cat bites me hard enough to hurt, I'll make a little yowl/cry like a hurt cat. she backs off right away. this has worked with pretty much every cat I've ever had. it may not break them of the habit completely but it gets them to stop.
>>
>get kitten from friend for one of the roommates
>literally the perfect kitten for him
>kittens too crazy needs friend
>roommates agree another kitten is cool
>it will be my kitten
>get the cutest possible kitten on the planet
>1st kitten is a week older and bigger so shes alpha
>constantly owning my kitten during playtime
>my kitten starts shitting under the couch
>kitten will not stop shitting under the couch
>still pisses in litter box

help
taking them both to the vet obviously soon but help
>>
Man just tell your cat off when it jumps on the counter if you're around. It's not rocket science, they learn they aren't allowed to pretty quick so it isn't like you're constantly abusing it or anything.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.