[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I make my corn snake less scared of me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: corn snake.jpg (15 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
corn snake.jpg
15 KB, 273x185
I got a corn snake probably 4 months ago, and he was a few months old when I got him. At first he was fine with being handled, but I switched his shavings, and now not so much. He always buries himself now, and when I try to dig him up he get really scared and slithers away. Any suggestions on how to make him more comfortable? Everything I can find just says to handle him more, but that's hard because he slithers away. Thanks!
>>
>>2140784

Snakes don't like to be handled. Ever. Some will tolerate it, but never fool yourself into thinking they're enjoying some fresh air or something retarded. They're scared shitless. This is noticeable when you get a young snake. As it gets older, it distances itself from you. As a young snake, it's stupid. As it gets older, it has better survival instincts. They stop accepting being held. Snakes are not cuddle buddies.
>>
>>2140784
Do not listen to this other fag>>2140791
Sneko enjoy handle.
Babys are just more scared of you hell somtimes my snake gets scared of its own tail.
When theyre older theylll give less of a fuck.
Just wait he will get more used to you
>>
>>2140797

Don't give advice on things you know nothing about. It causes problems beyond your scope. Just because you don't care about that guy's snake, doesn't mean you can say whatever you think is right.

Snakes don't enjoy being handled. The more you handle it, the more it is going to predict it, and the more likely it will turn aggressive every time your hand gets near it. Then one day it will get stuck, or you'll have to manhandle a bad shed off it, and it will attack the fuck out of you nonstop because it knows you're trying to take it away from an area it knows it's safe in.

If it runs from you, let it go. Don't push it. That makes you an aggressor. Save it for when you have to. You're not going to get a lot of chances before it catches on.

It's like the first time a dog breaks free of the house, you can get it to come to you when called. The 3rd or 4th time? LOL. "Honey, start the car, he's 3 blocks down the road and still running" ... They learn.
>>
Wow... a lot to consider. Thanks guys
>>
>>2140811
Just give it time. Snakes dont "like" being handled but if you handle em like 2 or so times a week they wont give too much of a fuck. babys are more scared than adults becase of more predetors and all that shit. This dude above me is a twat who knows almost nothing except what he heard once.
>>
>>2140811
Also dont hanlde after feeding usually i give my snakes 48 hours or so
>>
>>2140801
>Snakes don't enjoy being handled. The more you handle it, the more it is going to predict it, and the more likely it will turn aggressive every time your hand gets near it. Then one day it will get stuck, or you'll have to manhandle a bad shed off it, and it will attack the fuck out of you nonstop because it knows you're trying to take it away from an area it knows it's safe in.

This is half truths and falsehoods. What you want is for handling to be a minimally stressful experience for the snake. This is accomplished by handling 2-3 times per week, gently and with correct technique, for a maximum of 15 minutes per session. Allow snake to freely move through your hands with minimal resistance, keeping control by maintaining hand contact at mid body. Do not stop snake from moving by tightly grabbing. Do not handle when snake is in shed. Do not handle if snake has eaten in the last 48 hours.

It is important to do this so that your snake does not view you as a threat. Picking up an adult snake that is unaccustomed to being handled will result in fight/flight response, bite attempts, musking.
>>
>>2140791
>As it gets older, it has better survival instincts. They stop accepting being held.

That happened because you did not handle your snake regularly and allowed it to grow unfamiliar with the sensation. This is exactly what you want to avoid. You fucked up.
>>
>>2140797
>>2140839
Guy who posted these two here I think youre wrong>>2140791
Maybe you should get out of your own world and read a book or do somthing and not just follow what your dad sauid
>>
>>2140801
>Doesn't mean you can say whatever you think is right

Uh, so, there's this thing called Freedom Of Speech, maybe you should look into it faggit
>>
>>2140791
you are not completely right

they don't like to be handled, but they learn that it is nothing to be scared of over time and thus tolerate it and calm down when they are handeled more frequently.

But they never really like it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.