[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw a squirrel attack and destroy a sparrow nest today, killing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: eastern-grey-squirrel-in-grass.jpg (56 KB, 920x649) Image search: [Google]
eastern-grey-squirrel-in-grass.jpg
56 KB, 920x649
I saw a squirrel attack and destroy a sparrow nest today, killing (and presumably eating) the nestlings in the process.

I am shaken. I had no idea that squirrels preyed upon other animals. Why are squirrels such bastards?
>>
Because they are rats with fluffy tails
Next question please.
>>
>>2140606

They eat each other too. Gray squirrels are not afraid to do unpleasant things to survive.
>>
Damn nature, you scary.
>>
well i saw a squirrel getting attacked by the two crows that live in my trees. crow battle tactics was impressive, the squirrel would hide in the trees, and one would guard the top, the other the bottom. as fast as a squrrel is, it could not run fast enough.

however, i am impressed with squirrel ninja skills. i tried to guard a bird feeder from them. i gave up. they always found a way.
>>
many herbivore animals are opportunistic carnivores, which won't go out of their way to hunt, but if given an easy chance will eat other animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk
>>
>>2140606
>I am shaken
Female detected.
>>
>>2141491
You know those packets of spicy pepper seeds you get when you order pizza? Mix that in with the bird seed in your feeder. Or better yet, buy it in bulk at the store. (sold with the rest of the seasonings)

Birds are completely immune to capsaicin. Which means they literally can not taste anything spicy. But squirrels and other mammals can. Birds will continue eating the shit out of your bird feeder, spicy pepper seeds and all. While squirrels will never ever forget that it is a source of horrific pain.
>>
>>2141520
Why? It is quite shocking to see a creature you have been told your entire life is an obligate herbivore suddenly turning full carnivore.

How would you feel if you saw a cow walk up and suddenly start eating a whole litter of puppies while they are still alive?

Just because squirrels are smaller than cows and baby chicks aren't as cute as puppies doesn't make it any less viscerally disturbing to witness.
>>
>>2141574
oh fuck i wonder if it'd deter the squirrels away from my chicken feed
>>
>>2141584
It will deter them away from pretty much anything.

Try it out, at the very least it won't cause any harm.
>>
>>2140606
Damn, that's nuts.
>>
>>2141588
CARLOS
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.