[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stranded carrier dove
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_8037.jpg (1 MB, 2346x2667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8037.jpg
1 MB, 2346x2667
Hi /an/, I found this messenger dove stuck on my neighbors upstairs window ledge (it has a tag on its leg).

Its almost 11pm here and my neighbors are away for the week, it hasn't moved for a few hours so I assume it doesn't have enough room to take off. My main concern is if it gets tired and falls one of the local cats might pounce on it.

Any have any advice on how to help it? I live in the UK if that helps with who to contact.
>>
>carrier dove

this is still a thing? I'm impressed
>>
>>2140012
I think its more for the sport than actual necessity, its still there too.
>>
>>2139992
Any chance you can draw it down with water? Try pouring water slowly into a bowl while it has you in its sight.

Most places need you to capture the bird first

http://www.homingpigeons.co.uk/lostpigeon.htm
>>
>>2140020
Its pretty dark here now but I gave the water a go, it hasn't moved but appears to have defecated on the neighbors window ledge.

Could it survive up there until tomorrow? as its 12am now.
>>
Update: Its 2:20am and he's still stuck there, he must be exhausted as there doesn't appear to be any room for him to sit down.
>>
File: DSC_8050.jpg (798 KB, 3075x2047) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8050.jpg
798 KB, 3075x2047
5am and he still hasn't flown away, also my cat has noticed him sitting there.
>>
Got anything you could use to net this poor stupid creature?
>>
>>2139992
Any chance you can reach it by ladder?
>>
>>2140020
did you call the number on this website OP??
>>
File: DSC_8055.jpg (1 MB, 3621x2430) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8055.jpg
1 MB, 3621x2430
>>2140214
>>2140218
>>2140226
OP here, just checked again (7am) and he's vanished. I have no idea of his fate but the good news is there isn't a body or a pile of feathers on the ground below so I can only assume it managed to fly away. He must have been exhausted after standing on a chilly windowsill for almost 10 hours.

The bad news is he's left some bird shit for the neighbors to clean up when they get back.

>Got anything you could use to net this poor stupid creature?
>Any chance you can reach it by ladder?
Unfortunately no, plus the houses around here have very tall ground floors for some reason.

>did you call the number on this website OP??
Ironically the number to call is dependent on who the bird belongs to, and in order to find that you had to get an ID from a tag around the leg. If he was still there around lunch time I was going to ask one of the other neighbors for help.

Hopefully he can find some much needed nourishment and eventually its rightful destination this time.
>>
>>2140193
Holy fuck that plant spooked me. Looks like a scary face
>>
Around me people release these at weddings at the park near me. Every summer one or two find their way to my yard. They are really docile -- I just walk up to them, grab em, and drive them over to the place that raises them. My city wildlife officer actually told me about this it the first time it happened (i thought it was a lost pet or something)
>>
>>2141012
I meant animal control, not wildlife official
>>
>>2139992
i had one of these stuck in my chimney years ago.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.