[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, I just moved to Tennessee back in October, and now it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Alright, I just moved to Tennessee back in October, and now it's summer and these motherfuckers are showing up. Someone put my mind at ease please and tell me what kind of spider this is?
>>
>>2139020
That actually is a brown recluse.
>>
>>2139035
Great. I get if they show up from time to time in my apartment, but I've found four over two days. Is that reason enough to be concerned? Also, on the off chance I find a bite how do you even treat that?
>>
>>2139044
If you get bit go to the hospital.
>>
>>2139044
I've had a couple showing up myself OP, they're highly seasonal and we're at the height of their mating season. The thing with recluses though is that you're only seeing the really dumb/slow ones, most of the time they scatter like cockroaches when the light comes on, so there's definitely more of them.

As for control recluses are almost impossible to wipe out with conventional methods, especially in an apartment building. What I'd recommend is keeping everything as clean as possible, if your place has few/no bugs they'll go someplace else. If you want to be more proactive put down glue traps.

Also this might be a bit impractical, but at one point I had them really bad in an apartment where the landlord paid the utilities, so as an experiment I cranked the A/C down to 60 degrees and left for the weekend, didn't come back to any spiders. No idea if I actually froze them out or if they just happened to leave, but I didn't see any again that year.
>>
>>2139053
That's not a bad idea. How are they in July? I'll be leaving for a week around then so it might not be bad to turn down the temp while I'm gone. But only if they'll still be an issue around then
>>
>>2139071
They stay active through the fall but they don't wander as much after August or so. You could try freezing them out but I'd only recommend it if someone else is picking up the utility bill or you're really desperate. My experience was hardly scientific, I have no idea if the lower temperatures actually scared them off or if they just happened to fuck off on their own.
>>
File: 96-09.jpg (77 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
96-09.jpg
77 KB, 693x693
Hey guys can anyone tell what this is? Sorry the quality is so bad.
>>
Take it to the vet
>>
Memes aside, yeah that actually is a brown recluse.
They aren't actually considerably dangerous though. A bite only has a small chance of being bad, and they are very unlikely to even bite you in the first place. There have been tons of people living in houses with massive populations of them without a single issue.
Read this.
http://www.wired.com/2013/11/poor-misunderstood-brown-recluse/

Tl;dr: It's a brown recluse, but don't worry about it.
>>
>>2140256
Idk. All i can infer is male and not poisonous
>>
Before you can even have a spider infestation don't you another infestation of bugs to get there
>>
>>2139020
Shake out your clothes and shoes before putting them on or you might get bit. And a bite in a situation like that where the thing is getting crushed might not go well for you. Don't be stupid and you'll be ok, I guess.
I'm arachnophobic, so I'd say wipe 'em out of your home, but that's just me.
>>
>>2140256
Looks like an orbweaver, but a geographic location and a web description would help
>>
>>2139035

Yup, that's a recluse. Lived in Memphis for 3 years with them, then in Collierville for 2 years, then Nashville for 3 years, and had recluses at every single one of them. I live in Spring Hill now, in a new build, so no recluses.

Those are all in TN, by the way. I'll tell you what I learned - Glue traps are the only effective offensive. Sprays work in a proxy sort of way, by killing the things they eat, but the effect is small. Put glue traps everywhere. 5 per room or so.

They will come around in the spring, then again in the fall, and you'll never see them other than those times. We typically saw 5-8 per season, not including what was in glue traps.

They are pussies and will not attack you. The are runners. They also have tiny fangs and will not be able to bite you without your help. Stepping on them, or rolling over on them, is generally how that happens. Never try to smash them with bare skin for that reason.

They will not be on the floors. Don't bother looking. Watching the walls and ceilings. They always climb around, but never repel. They can't repel down from the ceiling on silk.

We lived with them peacefully all that time with only 1 bite, which was my wife rolling over on one. She happens to be allergic, so that was a double whammy.

Accept that you will never, ever get rid of them. It's just not possible. Use glue traps to keep the population down. It is the only thing you can do. Also, accept that any building in TN older than 30 years probably has them.
>>
>>2140567

Northeastern Ohio.
>>
>>2140679
216 represent? Or are you a 440fag
>>
>>2140756

Try 330.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.