[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Last Chance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: felix.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
felix.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Hi /an/.

I posted about my cat about 2 weeks ago. He has been an indoor/outdoor cat most of his life, but we can no longer let him out due to a change in the apartment rules where we live and because it's simply unsafe for him to be out in this area.

He constantly meows and scratches at the windows in my place because he wants out. It's been two weeks now and he's shown no signs of improvement. We play with him a lot, he has multiple litterboxes, a reliable feeding schedule and plenty of room to roam. I can't take him for walks because I can't have him tracking inside fleas or ticks, which are unfortunately common in my area. I'm now faced with finding him a new home.

My last chance is using Feliway, though I've heard mixed reviews about it. Does anyone here know if it would be effective in getting him to calm down and accept his life indoors?

Please help me /an/, I love this cat. We saved him from the brink of death and it breaks my heart to have to find a new home for him.
>>
feliway is some bomb shit highly recommended
>>
Just keep him inside. He'll eventually get used to it. Even if he wishes he could get outside it's not like he's constant suffering or something, I don't see any reason to rehome him.
>>
>>2138791

We can't get any sleep at night because of his constant meowing. My wife no longer wants to keep him.
>>
>>2138792
drop your wife off at a shelter
>>
>>2138795

She has actually been really great about this, but it had been weeks now and he just will not relax.

Feliway really is my last shot. Had anyone had experience using it for this purpose before?
>>
Anyone? Please...
>>
/an/ is a slow board so calm down. You're lucky you have this many replies in this time.

Ive never heard of it being used help transition a cat from outdoors to indoors but I have heard of its success in other ways of soothing cats. Some pet stores also carry calming treats but I have not heard as much love for them as I have heard about with the pheromone plugins.

Try it. Many stores like Petsmart have return policies that will allow you to get a refund if it doesn't work
>>
Feliway is great but really expensive ( a small bottle is the equivalent to $80USD where I live)
It did stop my cat from spraying. You have to reapply the spray several times a day though. You could try the diffuser version but I imagine you'd need one for each room for it to be effective
>>
>>2138813

Sorry, I'm just distressed. I love my cat and want to do everything I can to keep him, despite the fact that he's clawing on my window as I type this.

I'm going to go try pitching Feliway to my wife, but I'll bump this again in the morning.
>>
>I can't have him tracking inside fleas or ticks
Put flea medicine on him, advantage or whatever. My mom puts this shit on the back of the cat's neck once a month and I haven't seen a flea in years. As for ticks, you could check him for them after going outside or just not be a paranoid pussy because I doubt it's swarming with ticks in an apartment complex.
>>
I've had a cat that was outdoors most of his life until there were multiple outdoor cats being trapped and driven out to the outskirts and being released. It took a good while for him to stop begging to go out. It was annoying but I would have rather dealt with his crying. They need a lot of attention and distractions when your cat hangs out by the door.
>>
>>2138816
Feliway is a great option.

He has excessive energy and having somewhere to play will certainly help.

He'll still want to go out, though. Cats follow the Sun.
>>
>>2138787
a cat that wants to go outside will never, ever stop wanting to go outside. he will never forget.

yet another reason why they should never be inside-outside animals.
>>
>>2139627
Uhhhhhu catnip hello? Get that motherfucker stoned off his ass, give him somethiny tasty he cant resist. Maybe slip a benadryl in his water. He'll sleep through the night
>>
>>2139638
Or just use a lazer pointer and tire him out before bed time. Or maybe feed him live muce so he can hunt and stimulate the outdoors inside
>>
>>2139100

There's a large field nearby that he likes to hunt in. He's already brought ticks into the house in the past. He has been flea treated, but fleas can still make their way into the house before they die.

>>2139581

This is why I have to keep him inside. Our property management decided to crack down on outdoor cats and I don't want to have to find him at the pound. He also gets attacked by other cats.
>>
>>2138787
Use a "leash for all the body" i dont know the english word. The more old is your cat the harder its gonna be. But he will be able to go outside and be safe about it. You will have to train it tough. And try to play more with it.
>>
>>2138787
>due to a change in the apartment rules
So you let your shit cat outside whenever he wanted, your complex got mad and neighbors reported seeing your shit cat wreaking havoc, and now you don't know what to do.
>>
>>2140381

We actually rescued him from outside, somebody dumped him off with another cat that we assume is his sister. When we found him, he couldn't walk because of some pretty severe infections on his legs. It's a large part of why it kills me to have to find him a new home, because seeing him go from an immobile, frail kitten to a strong, grown cat fills me with joy.

It was never my desire to have him be outside, but he simply doesn't accept his life indoors like my other cats have. He was attacked by another cat 3 weeks ago and got beat up pretty bad. In tandem with the complex rules making it unsafe, we made the decision to keep him inside at all times.

3 weeks of extra playing, catnip, a regular feeding schedule and ignoring his meowing as much as possible and he still is constantly meowing at night and clawing at the windows. My wife can't take it any more, even I'm starting to get tired of it and it's putting a strain on our relationship and our work life.

It really sucks /an/, I'm a wreck because of it, but there seems to be no other way.
>>
Won't help with the meowing but put doublesided tape where he scratches on the window. Cats hate the way it sticks on their paws so it should stop the scratching
>>
>>2141788
Can't you just beat him until he stops meowing?
>>
>>2142140

That would likely diminish his desire to remain inside even further.
>>
>>2142374
Nah, it makes cats feel safe when you exert your dominance over them.
>>
>>2138792
Try holding around the neck with a firm grip for 30minutes.
That should solve both your cat and your wife's problem. Making you a big man.
>>
>>2138787
Sell or give your cat away. Then get a kitten, problem solved.
>>
>>2138787
Shouldn't have let your cat run wild, faggot. You asked for this. Next time take some fucking responsibility for your non-native predatory animal that's already overly abundant everywhere on Earth in damaged ecosystems.
>>
Leash train him. It takes patience, but it can be done. I rescued my cat at 14 and after about 6 months of daily practice in the house (started with just a few minues of wearing it a day) he got used to it and now I hang with him in my neighborhood. Most people forget to train their cat and let them run wild -- that's not a domesticated companion, thats an invasive species that you feed and house.
>>
>>2142978

We actually did get a kitten last week that he's getting along with pretty well, but his night meowing still hasn't ceased. We're trying to rehome him, but I'm really hoping my wife will just relent as the kitten becomes more bonded with him.

>>2143064

He was outside when I found him, you dickshitting fagnigger. I'm trying to break him of that desire.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.