[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Man digs into hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: excavating-wasp-nest.jpg (111 KB, 640x388) Image search: [Google]
excavating-wasp-nest.jpg
111 KB, 640x388
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxOYkw2z54

I'm not sure anyone has ever had a stronger faith than the faith this man has in his bee suit.
>>
>>2138649
He's in a bee suit. What could they possibly do to him? That being said, bee keepers are awesome.
>>
Also, wasp nests are worth BIG money if you can sell an intact one (without any live wasps anyway).

It's funny as hell watching those wasps trying so hard to sting the camera.
>>
>>2138670
Why does it have to be intact?
>>
>>2138671
As a macho decorative item
>>
>>2138649
On one hand fuck wasps
On the other, I kinda feel bad that these creatures were designed to protect the nest and they just flew around completely unable to stop their home from getting fucked
>>
>>2138788
Wasps seem too keen on the offensive (pre-emptive strike?) front.

Sting them all and let God sort them out I guess.
>>
Are those Yellow Jackets? Truly the worst wasp of all time. If so they deserve this definitely.
>>
File: CGhRTbeUQAAPc94.png (255 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
CGhRTbeUQAAPc94.png
255 KB, 600x337
>>2138649
>Let me pop a quick H on this box, this way we all know it's filled with hornets.

What do they do with the nest?
>>
>>2138649
I read the video description and some comments.
I understand him wanting to keep the nest alive for research purposes, but why on Earth would he not just poison all the leftover workers immediately after removing the nest? What possible reason could he have for wanting to preserve the population of an invasive species?

Also kek at him just tossing it into a dept store 5 gallon bucket at the end.
>>
>>2139107
yeah, do what you need to do...
>>
>>2139128
If you look at his other videos he returned soon after because he didn't get get the queen the first time around. After he got the queen he poisoned the remaining workers.
>>
>>2138668
He's not digging out bees, he's digging out wasps. Unlike bees, wasps can bite. Which means they can chew through that suit.
>>
>>2139128
>>2140202
Do the workers just not die after the queen getting removed?

I've done DIY wasp removal and all the videos I've recently seen the 'professionals' seem to only bother whether or not the queen is involved. They go back after the first time if they don't catch her but if they can't find her they just kill the nest.
>>
>>2140217
It all depends on the individual wasp species. Some of them are just like bees, in that only the queen reproduces. Some only stay in the hive with the queen during the spring, summer, and fall. But at the end of fall they abandon the nest (since there are no more larvae) and go hibernate for the winter. Then, once spring comes around, they find a mate, and start their own nest.

And some species of wasps don't even bother with nests/swarms. I think that one species that lives in the deserts and stings spiders, then buries them alive, is the most famous example of this.
>>
>>2138649

>wasps

Die, die you fuckers!
>>
>>2140202
>Which means they can chew through that suit
Nope. You're wrong. Yellow jackets do chew, but attack behavior does not include chewing. The only time I've ever heard of someone getting stung through a bee suit was if it was a really shitty bee suit, or it doesn't fit, or they don't seal it properly. The guy is obviously a pro, everything is sealed great, the suit fits him perfectly. He was in no danger at all at any time.
>>
>>2140288
All it takes is one smart wasp and then your whole shit is wrecked.
>>
>>2140300
>smart wasp
Lol
>>
>>2138649
>Bringing_Fortress_Balam_to_a_hive_mission.jpg

But in all seriousness, I am curious about how the wasp family works. I live in the south US and I've never seen a wasp like that, in fact those look almost exactly like yellow jackets around here, just a bigger and seem to be meaner. But our yellow jackets make nests like that in the ground, while our wasps are all solid colors and make paper nests absolutely everywhere, but don't seem to have anything resembling a queen. Then there's hornets but they're pretty rare because some of our wasps seem to be good at genociding them.

I figure an answer from /an/ will be both more informative and more humorous than google at least.
>>
File: vespa-crabro_3je.jpg (82 KB, 780x750) Image search: [Google]
vespa-crabro_3je.jpg
82 KB, 780x750
>>2140605
Yellow jackets are wasps. In the US you have Vespula germanica and Vespula vulgaris as invasive species which generally fuck everything up and are the aggressive annoying ones.
Seems like you haven't had the pleasure of encountering these fuckers yet. They're spreading fast though, so have fun.
The other wasps you're referring to that build their nests out in the open are paper wasps (Polistes). They're not too bad, at least compared to the other fuckers.
You don't have any "true" hornets in the US. The bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) is actually a jellow jacket too. The only one you get is another invasive species, the european hornet (Vespa crabro). They allegedly aren't *that* aggressive but they are fucking massive and have a sting and venom to match. You don't wanna get stung by one of those. Also they hunt in groups and their prefered prey are bees and other smaller wasps (so all of them) and they can pretty much eradicate a beehive in a few days.
They are spreading quite fast too, so again, have fun going outside in the future.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ6k_px1Hu0

Absolute fucking madman
>>
>>2140329
Don't joke man, that's happened to me before. I've been bitten in multiple places by a single wasp while doing work in our backyard. Stupid little shit knew it wouldn't have to waste it's venom if it kept tearing chunks out of my skin.

I got the house out and drowned that motherfucker's entire nest. (although granted, at the time it happened, the nest was fairly new so it wasn't that much of a challenge)
>>
File: help me.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
help me.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>>2138649
You guys are literally white males.

These wasps die to protect their home from US and you just accuse them of stinging.

Didn't you feel bad about an army trying to sting him (and die in the process) just to save their home from the invaders?

If they were humans we'd be admiring their bravery instead of calling them wasps or terrorists.
>>
>>2140746
Fuck you, man.

How would you feel if I murdered your entire country because one of you was a piece of crap?
>>
>>2138649
how do wasps feed? do they create some sorth of unedible honey?
>>
>>2140753
Wasps don't die when they sting. You are thinking of bees
>>
>>2140757
Small insects and nectar
>>
>>2138649
Oh man this is hard to watch
>>
I hate these things. They are the reason I can't feed my dog outside anymore. Put the food down and two minutes later it's covered in the fuckers. I've seen a stray cat die from swallowing one while trying to eat a chicken carcass I'd thrown in the bin.
>>
>>2140754
That analogy doesn't work, it was my backyard, the wasps where the invaders. If anything, I was the one protecting my "country" and kin from them.

And you're a fool for believing otherwise.
>>
>>2140815
The sound gets to me more than anything else. And if it was that bad just listening to the recording then I can only imagine how much worse it was to experience it in person. That man has balls of pure mithral.
>>
>>2140653
>Vespula germanica
Seems to be a dead-ringer for the yellow-jackets around here

>Vespa crabro
Have only seen about 3 hornets in my life and they all resemble that much more than the bald-faced hornet. Got stung once when I was young, and if memory serves me right it wasn't quite as bad as getting stung by what we generally refer to as wasps, but still wasn't pleasant

>Polistes carolina/perplexus
Seems to be like the average 'wasp' around here. Bright orange/red body, jet black wings, builds paper nests goddamn everywhere with no discernible queen
>Not especially aggressive
Either it's a different species around here or the heat+humidity just drives everything mad, because goddamn the orange fuckers flying around are aggressive. Luckily they haven't been able to adapt to tennis rackets swung with righteous fury
>>
>>2138668
Bees can still sting through a bee suit, it just doesn't go deep enough to lodge in the skin.
>>
Off camera is guy with a lit flamethrower
Is the only way I would even get close

Can we invent like a remote RAID missile
>>
>>2141159
If they're managing to sting through your suit, you have one craptastic suit.
>>
>helpful european honey bees dying mysteriously to many unconfirmed causes.
>aggressive assholes spreading and thriving.

Awesome, just fucking awesome.
>>
>>2141700
Can you blame them for being aggressive in this case?
>>
>>2141700
Remember that euro honeybees are actually invasive in America -- not native, they were introduced, and now threaten to crowd out the indigenous bees, and they can be the "aggressive assholes" that spread and kill far more people and animals than wasps have. Apis mellifera is great if you like honey, but let's not over-glorify them.

Not all yellowjackets are aggro. Not saying they aren't hazardous if you do certain things to them, but don't jump to blanket conclusions.
https://youtu.be/JlwItMt03UM
>>
Here is a pern digging out a wasp nest. By the end it takes out a large chunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxgYurGfvOk
>>
>>2141895
That person must have the most awesome pest free garden in the entire fucking country.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (37 KB, 795x214) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
37 KB, 795x214
>>2140217
>>
>>2141700
>tfw bro honey bees that just want to hang out and drink a little soda are dying off
>Being replaced by wasps and killer bees
>Killer bees were a mistake because some retarded intern removed screens on beehives that he thought didn't belong there, releasing drones and new queens.
>>
>>2138670
who buys one and for what purpose
>>
>>2142288
A quick google makes it seem they are mostly decorative. Maybe also schools and shit to have them on display for students.

The decorative aspect seems a bit strange though. They aren't very pretty. I mean it's kinda neat in the 'bugs made this!' kind of way but I think I'd prefer a cast of an anthill over a wasp nest.
>>
>>2141895
I keep bees and almost feel like I'm hurting my land's ecosystem with them. I make sure to tell this to people every time people spew about how good a person I am for saving the bees. Bees are livestock.
>>
>>2138649
WU TANG KILLA BEES
WE ON THE SWARM
>>
Yellow jackets like coffee beans. Seem to calm them down too. I roast coffee on my back porch sometimes and they're always around waiting to steal my beans. We live in harmony now. I think they're chewing up the coffee beans to make their nests. You can definitely hear them chewing too. Very loud. But then again, every time they get a bean, they don't go very far.
>>
>>2141987
I showed that video to my mom, neither one of us could figure out how the bird wasn't stung to death.
>>
>>2142248
>implying honey bees aren't domesticated as fuck and massive invasive species killing off thousands of native pollinators.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.