[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do animals ever commit suicide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
Do animals ever commit suicide?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y
>>
>>2138614
lemmings
>>
>Bile bears, sometimes called battery bears, are bears kept in captivity to harvest their bile, a digestive fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder, which is used by some traditional Chinese medicine practitioners.[1] It is estimated that 12,000 bears are farmed for bile[2] in China, South Korea, Laos, Vietnam, and Myanmar
>Farmed bile bears are housed continuously in small cages which often prevent them from standing or sitting upright, or from turning around. These highly restrictive cage systems and the low level of skilled husbandry can lead to a wide range of welfare concerns including physical injuries, pain, severe mental stress and muscle atrophy. Some bears are caught as cubs and may be kept in these conditions for over 20 years.
>The Chinese media reported an incident in which a mother bear, having escaped her cage, strangled her own cub and then killed herself by intentionally running into a wall.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile_bear
https://web.archive.org/web/20120112103702/http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html
>>
>>2138614
They kill themselves sometimes. Sharks will beach themselves, for example. Now I don't know if this constitutes suicide.
>>
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
>>2138624
>>
Wait, those put themselves in a situation where they will perish...you could call that passive suicide. but are there active suicides?
>>
>>2138626
god... those asians are fuckin sick
>>
>>2138625
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming_%28film%29
http://www.upstreamis.pw/lemming-2005/
>>
Flipper did.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
>After 30 days, the "total isolates," as they were called, were found to be "enormously disturbed." After being isolated for a year, they barely moved, did not explore or play, and were incapable of having sexual relations. When placed with other monkeys for a daily play session, they were badly bullied. Two of them refused to eat and starved themselves to death.
>>
>>2138614
Octopuses, sugar gliders and most parrots will fucking mutilate the shit out of themselves if they get depressed.
>>2138654
The Japanese are pretty good with animals. The Chinese on the other hand need a good nuke dropped on their heads.
>>
File: harlow-clothmother2.jpg (55 KB, 263x334) Image search: [Google]
harlow-clothmother2.jpg
55 KB, 263x334
>>2138780
nice one anon. harlow's research, even if a bit sick and cold hearted, gives amazing insights and there is a ton of stuff to read and watch about it.
>>
>>2138841
>The Japanese are pretty good with animals

yeah, they keep the shit for other people and even for themselves.
>>
>>2138780
>Harlow also wanted to test how isolation would affect parenting skills, but the isolates were unable to mate. Artificial insemination had not then been developed; instead, Harlow devised what he called a "rape rack," to which the female isolates were tied in normal monkey mating posture. He found that, just as they were incapable of having sexual relations, they were also unable to parent their offspring, either abusing or neglecting them. "Not even in our most devious dreams could we have designed a surrogate as evil as these real monkey mothers were," he wrote.[8] Having no social experience themselves, they were incapable of appropriate social interaction. One mother held her baby's face to the floor and chewed off his feet and fingers. Another crushed her baby's head. Most of them simply ignored their offspring.
Absolutely savage.
>>
>>2138654
Go 50 back years (before animal rights movement) and same shit could have been going on in the west.

>>2138841
Japan has similar problem to us with designer pets churned out and then gassed once people get bored, though it's also exacerbated by the endless search for cute things.

There's also something weird about how little they seem to think about "food animals", though the disconnect is also seen in the west.

Still things like ikizukuri, where you have a living thing writhing on your plate... and some woman thinks it's a funny thing to exclaim "kawaii" at that... God damn it, at least have the respect to grant a quick death to that damned creature.
>>
File: chrome_20160314_160131.png (714 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
chrome_20160314_160131.png
714 KB, 480x640
>>2138841
>the Japanese are good with animals
>>
>>2138943
I think they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731#Activities

I mean what would you have done given the same opportunity?
>>
>>2138947
Dehumanization of the enemy was pretty shameless back then. People are always a product of their time. Imperialistic age in this case.
>>
>>2138961
>Implying one shouldn't do the same thing with the Chinese today.
>>
>>2138614
>humans are animals
I assume you don't want this response?
>>
>>2138841
>Japs
>Good with animals

You know those videos of qt jap girls with fluffy animals? Most of those animals end up dying from abandonment. The idea of actually taking care of your responsibilities must be a foreign thought to Japs. God knows how they can manage taking care of kids
>>
>>2138938
>Tfw no access to a rape rack
>>
File: 1461980405804.jpg.png (135 KB, 442x439) Image search: [Google]
1461980405804.jpg.png
135 KB, 442x439
>>2138961
>>
There's at least two captive dolphins that apparently just chose to stay at the bottom of their tank and refuse to come up for air until they died.
>>
I've read about dolphins that developed both emotional and sexual connections to a human partner that killed themselves when they were separated from the human.
>>
>>2138626
Guess she couldn't bear it anymore.
>>
File: Jellyfish.jpg (758 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Jellyfish.jpg
758 KB, 1024x768
So, they do it if put in a hopeless position of suffering. That is to say, it is never a natural thing.
>>
>>2138625
disney pushed them
>>
>>2139506
that's very sad and relatable
>>
Whale in seaworld tried to kill itself recently https://vimeo.com/168264060
>>
>>2138932
>a bit
>>
File: 1465178869573.jpg (85 KB, 774x900) Image search: [Google]
1465178869573.jpg
85 KB, 774x900
yup, a bobcat sacrificed its self to my car at 90 miles an hour.
>>
>>2139262
The parents don't take care of their kids. They send them to school 24/7 and have the teachers raise them. It's why asians have the stereotype of being so smart.

Don't most jap schools have one day weekends and only one month long summer vacations?

All the parents have to do is feed their kids one meal a day (breakfast and lunch at school) and make sure they have clean clothes/school supplies.
>>
If you left the window open at his old house, old wooden heavy windows, my friends cat would stand in the window and shut in on himself. We swore he was trying to kill himself
>>
>>2139563
God damn it carlos
>>
>>2138841
>japs good with animals
Jap dolphin hunt
Watch it, then come back
>>
File: 1440151979875.gif (176 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
1440151979875.gif
176 KB, 200x198
>>2139563
>>
>>2138841
First the japs deny war crimes, now they even deny animal cruelty. I thought they were all about saving face and committing hikari or some shit
>>
>>2140245
It's "seppuku" you dumb ass.

At the very least you can educate yourself so when you insult a people you can do it properly.

I mean, seriously, is it so fucking hard to use google?
>>
>>2140302

something something newfriend.
>>
>>2138841
>Octopuses
Octopi, you goddamn faggot.
>>
>>2138624
I was listening to Leonard Cohen's Halleluja when I opened this video.
Shit man, the feels.
>>
>>2138932
>amazing insight
>things suffer when tormented
fuck you and fuck this sick fuck
>>
>>2140319
>>2140319
I know it all seems obvious NOW, but those experiments really were revolutionary at the time. For some reason, around the time of these experiments lots of psychologists were looking at the mother-child bond, and discussing how important it was,and managed to get the idea that all a child needed was food from the mother and that physical contact between child and mother was actually physically harmful. People actually believed all a mother needed to do was feed their child, and that too much bodily contact would 'spoil' their child. When these experiments came out, they helped put all ideas to rest and show that yes, you actually do need to hug your fucking child if you want them to not grow up emotionally destroyed.

Plus, his studies shocked and sickened other scientists and the general population so much that it really gave a huge boost to the push for better animal ethics laws.

So these experiments were 'good', in the fact that they were so goddamn awful they ensured that no one could do experiments that terrible again, that you couldn't justify doing awful, horrific things to animals just to see what would happen, and showed that emotions are actually pretty fucking important to childhood development.
>>
>>2140325
What the fuck it is in our blood to love, cuddle and bond with our babies, you have to unlearn what nature/god taught you to come up with such crazy analytical soulless shit.
>>
>>2140360
In the blood of men, not so much.
But yes society can go in a direction where you become really practical about everything (esp. early last century).
>>
>>2140312
does that mean that the plural of pussy is not pussies but pi? i know get the qt3.14 thing...
>>
>>2140360
>it is in our blood to love
Prove it.

Wait, you don't need to, Harlow did
>>
>>2140325
This.

It is simple. If studies need to be made to prove the evident, that says a lot of the general orientation of the society that generates that.

People condemning those experiments from a contemporary point of view should read a book from time to time to question themselves and what they believe instead of taking those beliefs to be the truth only because it is their opinion, no matter how benevolent and noble it claims to be.

Instead of correcting an error over and over again it is better to look for the cause of the error and avoid it from the start. Those studies help in that, moralistic spontaneous critiques are a block to that process in the sense that they take for granted the initial errors.
>>
>>2138780
holy fucking shit
this is one of the worst things I've ever read
>>
>>2140312
Pus is a Greek suffix, not Latin. The correct plural is octopode, but the scientific community is fucking retarded and doesn't use it, so it's not the colloquial English plural. I think Merriam Websters acknowledges both -puses and -pi as correct pluralizations.
>>
>>2140397
You people would justify the torture of Jesus.
>>
>>2138614
/lit/ here you traitorous fuck
(I didn't know there even was an animal board)
Anyways if you put a tarsier in a cage it will bash it's head against the cage until it kills itself. It has a very thin skull.
>>
File: ThreeGracesBotticelli.jpg (29 KB, 314x365) Image search: [Google]
ThreeGracesBotticelli.jpg
29 KB, 314x365
>>2138635
>>
File: a_eyes_looking.jpg (28 KB, 400x318) Image search: [Google]
a_eyes_looking.jpg
28 KB, 400x318
>>2140656
mind blown
>>
>>2140661
Yeah, I knew the penguin pic a couple of years and I just saw the link today.
>>
>>2138635
>>2140656
>>
>>2138635
>>2140772
AWAKEN MY MASTERS
>>
>>2138614
Yes
>>
>>2138630
Or maybe after enough sharks do it one will have enough lungs to make it.
>>
>>2140200
painfully obvious you have no idea what youre talking about and have never spent any significant amount of time in japan.
>>
>>2140772
The fuck is this? Those body proportions are all wrong. Was someone trying to draw zika virus babies who had steroids pumped into them their whole lives?
>>
>>2140926
It's just Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Pt.2

The manga was made back when that huge muscular style was popular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEbsZpweDo
>>
>>2140389
So much this.
>>
>>2140200
well you dont build an economic superpower in a few decades with a loving human environment.
>>
>>2140325
>you actually do need to hug your fucking child if you want them to not grow up emotionally destroyed.
Reminds me of that old parenting fad where mothers were told to just let their baby keep crying at night, and eventually the babies did stop because their cries wouldn't be responded to. But then being ignored as infants led to trust issues later on.
>>
>>2140325
>>2141348
Is there any bad about infantilizing toddlers/ not infantilizing them?
>>
>>2140243
>Hunting for food/tradition
>Same as skinning a pet alive or torturing an animal
>>2140245
>Implying denying war crimes is a bad thing
Look at Germany, they are so sorry for their war crimes they are willingly getting raped by muslims to apologize, destroying their culture. Meanwhile Japan is strong and nationalistic.
>Implying there's anything wrong with the Japanese massacring Chinese commies
If we let them keep at it then we wouldn't have this bear bile dog/cat alive skinning, eat fish and snake alive horse shit.
>>
>>2141559
Germany deserves it
>>
>>2141348
Actually a study came out recently that showed allowing babies to cry themselves to sleep had no adverse effects on them as long as their other needs were met (ie not leaving them hungry or in a soiled diaper)
>>
>>2140612
Lol, Jesus himself justified the torture of Jesus ;-)
>>
>>2138780
>wife dies
>changes focus of research from maternal love to isolation and depression
>>
http://www.odditycentral.com/news/the-mind-boggling-bird-suicide-phenomenon-of-jatinga.html

This is related, though it was found to not be suicide. Fog, combined with light from the village below, causes birds to fly downwards straight into the ground/buildings.
>>
When I was around 8 I was driving with my my mom and we had to swerve past a fox that was sitting in the middle of the road. It was obviusly really sick with mange or somthing similar. Iwatched as we passed it and it never moved from its spot in the road, just sat there. I had asked my mother why it had did that. She just told me when animals got that sick they want their pain to stop so they try to kill themselves by getting hit by cars because they have no other way or help. That blew my little mind. I wondered about it for days after, and if he did get the 'help' he wanted...
>>
>>2140891
T. Jap
>>
One of my uncles was worling in a zoo where there was this very old elephant couple. One day the female died and the male then proceeded to eat 300 pounds of rock until it died.
>>
>>2138780
what a fucking psycho
>>
>>2138626
When are asians going to take the blame for the reduction of endangered animal. If there was no black market demand most poachers wouldn't bother.
>>
>>2143660
>When challenged about the value of his work, Harlow stated: The only thing I care about is whether a monkey will turn out a property I can publish. I don't have any love for them. Never have. I don't really like animals. I despise cats. I hate dogs. How could you like monkeys?

He was a real faggot thats for sure.
>>
fags whining about harlow should be thankful that he did what he did or those monkeys would have been you and me. his provocative statements and soulless experiments simply showed that a society is run by more than feeding machines to produce wealth, which was taken for granted at his time.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.