[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Egg ID
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160603_175601.jpg (3 MB, 2717x2297) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_175601.jpg
3 MB, 2717x2297
Hey /an/, we found an egg in our front garden today and I'd like to be about to know what laid it.
Kids and the dogs have all ready touched it so that ship has sailed.
I live in central Michigan
>>
>>2137675
That's a decent sized egg.
>>
>>2137675

was it on the ground or is this a nest?
>>
>>2137698
right there in the mulch
Kinda buried
>>
Mallards did this in my sister's yard, in the mulch too. West MI here.
>>
The thing about people touching eggs causing the mother to abandon it is an old wives tale.
>>
Almost certainly a duck or goose

What do you have in the area 'sides mallards and black faced feather rats?
>>
grackle
>>
>>2137777
>>2137746
Ok, assuming its a mallard/duck egg, why would lay only one?
also, assuming its fertilized, is the baby dead by now without its mother??
>>
Just leave it where you found it. Either it is dead already, or the owner will come back for it.

The whole smell thing is massively over rated. Birds have super shit sense of smell. They are mostly visual and even then they will sit on a golf ball if you are a bit tricky.
>>
>>2138186
it's so kids keep their hands of that shit, but i guess it didn't work
>>
>>2138160
ducks lay an egg once every few days. They wont actually sit on the eggs until they have enough eggs to make it worth their while. Think of the egg as being in stasis right now. It's good for about 30 to 45 days. This way, once the hen actually sits on her eggs, they all hatch within 2 to 3 days of each other.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.