[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should adult dogs with human aggression immediately be put down,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Should adult dogs with human aggression immediately be put down, or are there effective interventions to make them less terrible?
>>
>>2137479
>Human agression

Define what you mean by it OP. There are so many variables, it's difficult to give a simple answer.
>>
>>2137496
Tries to murder everyone but the owner.
>>
>>2137504
Hard to say for even that. Are we counting dogs that would attack intruders or in general just 'everyone aggressive?
I think a dangerous dog can still be the owners perfect pet. Like the dog is totally fine except for other people and if the owner has kept it under control, hasn't attacked anyone, properly fenced in, etc then I think it'd be really shitty to take that away from them. You can't just force into people's homes to evaluate their dogs and the way we judge dog aggression is pretty vague. A dog expressing any concern even without snapping or growling could deem them unadoptable, for example(such as shoving a hand on a stick in their face in a stressed or environment).

But for dogs in general I'd like to be somewhat of something more organized or 'educational' aside from letting people just waltz in and bring home any puppy from a store. I wonder if there is even 'free training' events or something.
>>
>>2137531
Also dogs are so engrained into our homes that people really don't think. They expect them to just be there and convenient all the time rather than something they actually have to take care of rather than just feeding it.
>>
>>2137479

Should always give a dog a chance and try change its behaviour. However if there is now success over time and the dog gets more aggressive and poses as a threat to biting and killing, then the dog should be put down.

In talking about a dog that tries to kill everyone but the owner, I assume this isn't wanted. Obviously that aggression is over the top and not right, but some people have use for such a dog. In that case, read above.
>>
Depends on the dog. I rescued an adult pit/lab mix that used to be tied up in a yard where kids walking past would throw rocks at him. He hated kids so bad. He was also dog aggressive. It took about a year, but he was super calm and sweet and completely trustworthy. I could leave him with my ducks, rabbits, cats, other dogs (my mom was a hoarder) and he was totally 100% fine. He turned into the biggest baby. If I even gave him the look he'd act totally abused and crushed.

On the other hand, we rescued a half wolf mix and she was totally awesome unless she felt cornered. Any time that dog would act stressed at all, we would turn our backs to her and calmly walk away. Didn't always work though. What made us eventually put her down was my mom loosing some of the muscle out of her forearm. Dog became "trapped" in the kitchen despite 3 possible routes out and 2 without even having to pass my mom. My mom slowly, calmly backed out of the kitchen and the dog continued to advance and was going overboard with the fear aggression. Eventually my mom encountered a wall and the dog jumped up and ripped out a piece of her arm.
>>
>>2137969
A wolf or wolf hybrid is a totally different different world from a domestic dog. Basically taking all those centuries of domesticating and saying 'fuck it all' with wolf mixes. Wolf mixes often act unpredictable to most people and are very much ready to bite in situations where a dog would find comfortable or maybe fearful enough to show signs like growling
>>
>>2137982
Which is why we ended up with it. The original owner was an abusive asshole and decided he couldn't handle her anymore so he tied her to our front porch with a leash. When we got home, she had chewed through it but stayed on the porch for whatever reason. So in she came.
>>
>>2137969
How can you be so patient with something you're on constant eggshells with to not get bit?
>>
>>2137479
We should teach people how to properly take care of dogs.
>>
>>2138043
It was only a few months. And like I said, she was normally really great. Absolutely sweet and wonderful and just the best. Normally we could walk right by her in a crowded hall with no issues at all. Most of the time, just giving her space when she snapped was enough to completely calm her down. She would come out of her corner and want to be pet and would want to cuddle against us. Sometimes she just couldn't come out of it though. We would have to put a closed door between us and her to calm her down. And we never let her sleep in anyone's bedroom. Ever. At night, she was always locked in the kitchen and all doors in the house were kept closed. She was always perfectly awesome when outside with us. No walls to freak her out. We could safely play with her out there. We got her in the spring too, so the back door was always kept open during the day so she could come in or go out as she liked. We had real hope for her. We'd gotten bitten a few times, but nothing serious until the final incident, but it seemed to be getting better and less frequent. We were also actively looking for places interested in taking in a half wolf, but everywhere was full up and couldn't take her or would only take her with an enormous deposit for her care.

As for me, I run very high in empathy. Even as a kid I knew it wasn't her fault. She didn't ask to be this basket case. She didn't ask to be born. She just was. I was very invested in showing her that she was safe with us and that no one would hurt her and that life was going to be full of nothing but awesome food, belly rubs, ear scratches and playtime in the back yard.

And it wasn't like we were always on eggshells either. She never freaked out if we were sitting on the floor. She only freaked out if she felt cornered and one of us was standing and only if it was inside the house.
>>
>>2137479
If Hitler caught his dogs smoking he would have shot them much sooner.
>>
>>2138400
I thought he poisoned them.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.