[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog Etiquette In this thread we post tips for people interacting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (29 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
29 KB, 443x332
Dog Etiquette

In this thread we post tips for people interacting with dogs in public.

>Ask before you pet the dog or let your dog come near.

>If a dog is on a leash in an off leash area do not allow your dog to approach before confirming its ok with the owner.

>A dog with a muzzle isnt always a dangerous dog, the owners could just be being cautious.
>>
How about when someone with stranger aggressive dogs have their unleashed dog in a public area? This happens to me every other day when I'm out on a walk, the owners seem pissed that I'm even in existence while they unsuccessfully try to call their dog back

I've just been handling it by standing still, but sometimes I still get bit or I will have to stand there for several minutes with a dog right up to my crotch growling at me until the owner feels 'safe' enough to grab them.

What's the best reaction when this happens?
>>
>>2137445
Kick the dog in the jaw.
>>
>>2137445
Invest in some pepper spray, one for the dog and another for the owner in case they decide to go rabid too.
>>
> When passing other owners walking their dogs. Ask their permission before allowing your dogs to interact
>>
If you're using a retractable leash, please don't allow your dog to run around on 6+ feet of leash, where they can interact and hurt/be hurt by other dogs
>>
>if Im occupied picking up my dogs shit IT IS NOT A GOOD TIME TO INTRODUCE YOUR DOG TO MINE.

>If your walking on the beach with your dog at night a LED collar tag would be appreciated as I do, that why I could have taken my dog in on its long line before your unleashed fox terrier attacked it then got ragdolled by my corso.
>>
>Make yourself known if approaching a dog walker from behind while cycling or jogging on trails or the sidewalk.
>>
>>2137347

>If a dog is on a leash in an off leash area do not allow your dog to approach before confirming its ok with the owner.

You are a fuckwit.

>When passing other owners walking their dogs. Ask their permission before allowing your dogs to interact

You are also a fuckwit
>>
>>2137755

Its your dog thats going to fucked up Buddy.
>>
>>2137445
Call animal control.
Fuck them and the dog if it's going around and biting strangers in public.
>>
>>2137755
>You are also a fuckwit

Not that guy, but why is it not good etiquette to ask permission before forcing their dog on top of yours (in either case)? To me, that is the pinnacle of dog ownership advice. Another person's dog is the same as their car. It is their property, and they know it best. Keep your dirty hands off it unless they say it's okay.
>>
When he says he's using dog psychology and not training, that's bullshit.
It's dog training, based on bullshit psychology.

If you poke your fingers at a dog like simulating a bite, does it communicate to your dog that you don't want it to do something? Yes.
Is it because that's how pack leaders would show dominance? No.

If a dog is being aggressive, will holding it down and therefore being dominant until it submits to you make it less aggressive towards you? Yes.
Is it because dogs evolved to listen to dominant pack leaders? No.

His practice is legit.
His theory is not legit.
>>
>>2137485
>invest in pepper spray
>another for the owner
No need for that. Just get one police grade long-range pepper spray off of Amazon.com.
>>
>>2137868
In all honesty, is there any evidence to support any claims of any dog psychology theories?
>>
>>2137876

Just results... but then thats subjective and probally just training anyway.
>>
> Please do not bring your mastiffs into the small dog pen because they, "Do not interact well with larger dogs."
>>
>>2137882

In my opinion, it works, just not for the reasons that they claim it does. And that's fine. Who cares as long as it works?

But what they don't tell you is that every dog is different. If you use the dominant/alpha approach on a dog that is already submissive by nature, you're doing more harm than good. A dog that loves humans and is eager to please them will only be pushed away and brood if you trying to assert yourself over them. So don't do it unless you really have to.
>>
>>2137868
>His theory is not legit.
u mean dogs dont have culture ingrained in thur jeans?
>>
>>2137887

Small dogs tend to be a bigger problem than big dogs. They are small, but they still have an energy aura that affects big dogs and they rile up the big dogs because the little shits are always wired and looking for a fight.

I have a 140lb Great Pyrenees that owns the dogpark. She is calm, collected, just strolls around and keeps an eye on things. Other dogs see her as a threat because she is so obviously in charge and on top of things. And when these little shits go up and change the energy of the packs, she always ends up getting attacked even when she rolls onto her back and submits, they will keep going. It's not her fault that she is naturally chill.

I fucking hate little dogs. Stop playing with those toys and get a real dog if you want a dog.
>>
>>2137892
I think you are missing the point. The dog park we have has two separate pens, small or large dogs. Regardless of your stance on small dogs, you would let your Pyrenees into the small dog pen?
>>
>>2137902

No, I wouldn't.

I will tell you a fun bit of info, though. Both of my Pyrs went through socialization sessions twice a week from 8 weeks to 6 months for 1 hour.

My dogs were notorious for how well they played with the little dogs. Not only that, but there was some dog-language going on. My Pyrs were able to lure out first-time dogs that were scared. Every single time. If a session started with 4 scared dogs, all 4 would be out in and about before the session was over. The trainer started letting my dogs come free of charge because they were actually helping.

I looked into it, and apparently it's a Pyr thing. There is something in their laid-back-but-in-charge demeanor that makes not only small dogs, but farm animals feel safe. Which is a Pyr's job - livestock guardian. It's interesting that this ability that allows livestock to relax around Pyrenees works even better for soothing scared dogs.
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 640x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 640x609
>>2137909
Can vouch for this. My shelter has a pyr-mix and another, younger dog that were rescued from the same community. The younger dog is very lethargic and disinterested but when she's around he becomes playful and you can tell he feels comfortable. Pic related Of course
>>
>>2137909
OT but I can believe that. My father-in-law had one and when they got a little Shetland puppy, she took her under her wing and protected her from the standard poodles trying to bully her.
>>
>>2137909
>>2137914
Not related to other dogs but I was at the DMV. Waiting for four fucking hours and this dude was there with one of these. 100+ people in an overly cramped place, tons of screaming kids and no AC in the middle of summer. If a kid was screaming? This dog would just leave the owner, walk over to the kid, lick it and calmly let the kid just jump on it and play with it to keep it fucking quiet and distracted. This dog was fucking huge too and wasnt a mix.

Bless that fucking dog.
>>
>>2137347
Dont go to a dog park. They are terrible and filled with terrible people who cant train their dogs
>>
>>2137923
>Dont go to a dog park. They are terrible and filled with terrible people who cant train their dogs

Sadly, I've come to this conclusion. I realized it around the time I started carrying dog-mace (What's it called? Citronella or something). I'm like "Why am I doing this? I shouldn't have to do this. Fuck it."

We live in Nashville. Lots of open land around here. There's at least 8 dog parks within 30 minutes of us. But every fucking time there is that ONE dog that ruins it for everyone.
>>
>>2137868
>His practice is legit.
No. No it isn't.
>>
do not let your dog off leash unless in a fenced in area specific for dogs. just don't do it.
>>
>>2139043
They're really not.

I've seen too many dogs get surrendered for "aggressive behavior that could not be managed by training". when asking for specifics from the owner, it's almost always the "hurr we tried alpha roll but the dog just bit us!!!" bullshit. like gee, I fucking wonder why.

if you have a dog that is naturally submissive you're just going to upset them. if you have a naturally dominate dog, you're just going to aggravate their behavior. there's no winning. I saw a guy got bit on the face when trying to alpha roll his husky, it's fucking ridiculous
>>
This may not be the right thread, but there are no good generals right now.

How do I get my dogs to stop barking at people around my apartment?

Heres the background: They grew up in a house, and we just recently moved to an apartment. They only bark in situations that would be appropriate at my old house, like if a strange man approaches me near my front door during a night time walk (someone walking to their own apartment), or if someone is near our apartment (neighbors entering their own apartments)

They are actually really friendly dogs. During the day time they love to meet new people on their walks, and they are very polite on walks out in public, not near the complex. They love other dogs. No history of aggression, normally very happy, friendly dogs. I think they just don't understand that all these other people are allowed to be so close to their home now.

Any advice on how to work with them and make them not menaces to society? The people in this complex are not very friendly, so the only thing I can't do is ask people to interact with them
>>
>>2137445
I would punch the thing if it jumped up on me.
>>
>>2137870
I'd invest in a long range lead dispenser instead. Much more versatile, efficient, and only one side of the story when the cops show up.
>>
>>2137888
>But what they don't tell you is that every dog is different. If you use the dominant/alpha approach on a dog that is already submissive by nature, you're doing more harm than good. A dog that loves humans and is eager to please them will only be pushed away and brood if you trying to assert yourself over them. So don't do it unless you really have to.

I think you're focusing too much on his buzzwords.

It has nothing to do with being alpha or dominant.

It's all about communicating with your dog.

It has a focus on communicating to your dog when it's doing something you don't like.

Communicate that you're leading it on the walks by exiting the door first.

Communicate to your dog that you're leading it during the walks by giving a tug on the leash or touching the dog when it tries to walk in a different direction, sniff at something, if it's staring down another dog, etcetera.

>>2139047

>if you have a dog that is naturally submissive
Then it wouldn't be doing things that need correction.

>if you have a dog that's naturally dominant
If you're letting your dog dominate you, you're asking for a law suit.
If the dog think's it's in charge during a walk, it's not going to listen to you when it decides it doesn't like a guy or his dog, and starts attacking.
If you're in charge, and you let it know, and it starts acting aggressively, and you correct it, it has no problem.

>you're just going to aggravate their behavior
If your dog is barking at you, and growling at you, and then you try to hold it down, it could very well attack you.
If you train it under less stressful circumstances first, get and get it to understand communication, then you work up to that stuff.
It's about getting the dog to understand that you're in control, and that you lead it, and that it has to listen to your commands.
>>
>>2139047
>if you have a naturally dominate dog, you're just going to aggravate their behavior. there's no winning.
Yeah, you should just do nothing and let the dog bite people.
>>
>>2139047
>I've seen too many dogs get surrendered for "aggressive behavior that could not be managed by training". when asking for specifics from the owner, it's almost always the "hurr we tried alpha roll but the dog just bit us!!!" bullshit. like gee, I fucking wonder why.
It shows you know nothing about Cesar's training methods at all.

Or you're just a shitposting troll, probably are.

If someone actually took the time to look at what Cesar does, it's not the bullshit you're implying it is.
>>
>>2139970
Then why has dominanice theory been disproven time and time again?
>>
>>2139986

This has nothing to do with dominance theory.

It's just communicating with and training dogs.

When you put your fingers to a dog and simulating a bite, does it communicate to the dog that it's doing something you don't want it to do? Yes.

Is it because dogs submit to dominant leaders who bite them? No.

If I stab someone in the heart with a knife, do they die? Yes.

Do they die because I released a ghost living inside of their heart that was controlling their body? No.

Do they die because everybody's heart contains a device that releases radio signals to the government that explodes when people get injured people won't find out their secrets? No.

Stabbing people works, no matter what theories people believe in.
>>
>>2139986
shut the fuck up your stupid fucking shitoposting piece of fucking shit go fucking fuck yourself fucking kill yourself you worthless fucking piece of shit fucking suffer faggot fucking burn fucking get your skinn peeled off fucking mother fucking bitch fuck you fucking get your fucking bones fucking broken fucking lose your fucking house mother fucker fuck you you fucking bitch fuck you
>>
>>2140005
>Nothing to do with dominance theory
>Post is nothing but how you need to be the "pack leader" and "dominant" over your dog by explicitly saying you cannot let your dog dominate you.
Right...
>>
>>2140018

If your 5 year old child starts biting at the pants of some strangers as you walk by, you can verbally communicate to your child, and your child will comprehend your communication.

Dogs don't speak English, you can't say "Let go, biting their pants!"

A dog has a much easier time understanding that you don't want it biting people's pants if you just push it your fingers.
>>
>>2140018
it's about fucking communication you stupid as fucking cunt ass mother fucking bitch ass stupid fucking faggot fuck you you fuckig mother fucker go fucking fuck yourself you fucking prick go fucking die bitch
>>
>>2140018
>>Post is nothing but how you need to be the "pack leader" and "dominant" over your dog by explicitly saying you cannot let your dog dominate you.
What the fuck are you supposed to do the, fucker?

Let it run among the streets?
Let it attack people's dogs?
Let it let it jump on small children in the park?
>>
>>2140018
Fuck off with your shitposting troll ass bullshit.
>>
What's the proper way to introduce a baby to a dog, if it's a dog you don't own? Just wondering because earlier today we met a super friendly dog while out on a walk, was thinking about what I'd have to do if the dog were less easygoing to minimize risk.
>>
>>2140023
My dog knows "drop it," so I beg to differ. Dogs are capable of having very impressive vocabularies.

>>2140025
Use positive reinforcement and good distraction training?
>>
>>2140040
>My dog knows "drop it," so I beg to differ. Dogs are capable of having very impressive vocabularies.

>A dog has a much easier time understanding that you don't want it biting people's pants if you just push it with your fingers.
>>
>>2140040
>Use positive reinforcement and good distraction training?

How would you do that?
>>
>>2139975
Cesar pls go
>>
>>2139974
>not using reputable training measures so the dog gets that way in the first place
>thinking dominance training actually rehabilitates aggressive dogs
oh my sides
>>
>>2140041
My dogs get kneed everytime they jump up on guests and they still jump up.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.