[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How Dangerous are black bears?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: black bear.jpg (99 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
black bear.jpg
99 KB, 620x387
Hey /an/, I like to run on the trails a lot in the woods and I've seen a bear a few times over the last few weeks/months, I think it could possibly be the same one but I'm not sure.

One time I was only a few feet away from it without realizing it before it jolted back from me. It seems pretty passive but I'm really nervous to run on the trails now. Should I stop? How Dangerous are these guys? Any personal bear encounters?
>>
>>2136505
Very dangerous, they hold you hostage for salmons.
>>
>>2136505
statistically you're way more likely to be killed by bees or lightning.

but black bears aren't to be fucked with. They do kill people pretty much every year. If I were you I'd buy some bear mace and carry it religiously just in case.

Personally my only up-close bear encounter was three cubs that kept stealing our sandwiches on a picnic when I was a kid. The weren't violent but they were definitely scary because they were hungry and fearless.
>>
They're chicken shits. If you scream at them sort of loud, they get spooked and book it for the woods.
When I lived in the mountains, they'd come and knock over my garbage cans all the fucking time. My dad's medium-sized dog was capable of scaring them up trees without getting his shit wrecked.
>>
>>2136505

Im a New Zealander... I view them as about as dangerous as a wild pig, am I correct?
>>
>>2136512
I'd guess pigs are more aggressive but less likely to kill you.

black bears are easy to scare except in the early spring and late fall when they're starving. But if they don't run off when you yell you've got a problem much sharper than a boar on your hands.
>>
The best jogging tip I can offer is to keep off portable music while in the woods. Ear buds are the true killers behind most pedestrian accidents.
>>
>>2136505
They're very passive creatures but also very bold, they are also known to attack without warning though so be careful
>>
>hike in "cougar country" everywhere
>don't really think about them, not worried
>go to a bear area
>nervous as fuck the entire time, almost ruined my hiking experience
I guess it's because where bears are they're much more common and more likely to be close to people but still seems weird.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160523-234838.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160523-234838.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
Its called a gun, ur an american, go buy one, anything higher than a 9mm should get u a month supply of bear meat
>>
they're shy but if you're worried you can carry bear spray but KNOW HOW TO USE IT
>>
>>2136505
Dangerous as fuck. People feed them and get close to them since they think black bears are cute and harmless. You're much safer around pretty much any other wild predator. Black bears are socialized to humans and will hurt you if you seem like you're attempting to keep food from them.

The only way to appropriately deal with black bears is to make them want to get the fuck away from you. Other anons mentioned bear spray. That is an excellent idea. Just make sure the wind is blowing away from you and towards the bear. You'll be safe enough circling around it briefly if you make a fuss and are loud and act very big and pissed.

One of the best ways to deal with predators in the wild is to act big and angry. Be loud. Don't act intimidated and for fucks sake, do not run. Running will get you seriously injured or killed. Never turn your back to a predator, eyes on it at all times, at worst, back away slowly while being big and angry and loud.
>>
>>2136637
>they're not dangerous
>theyll fuggin keel u :DDD
>>
>>2136505
Black bears are not dangerous 99% of the time. They are like big porcupines and will run away when they see you. I hunt alot and have never encourted a aggresive black bear even when it's with cubs. Moose and Grizzlies are not to be fucked with.
>>
Also depends where you are. The black bears in NJ were easily 200-500(largest being 600lbs) and they did not give a fuck. Not aggressive but trying to scare them did shit so you would just have to leave.
The ones here bolt like rabbits.
>>
>>2136505
Is it legal to hunt black bears and eat them in the united states?
>>
>>2136876
yes
>>
>>2136876
In certain states you can. In Utah, my home state, the odds of drawing out on a permit are about 4% per consecutive year you've submitted without winning
>>
>>2136850

I think what anon is trying to say is "Black bears are usually passive and will run away from a person making loud noises. There are some of these bears that may attack you."

Kindof like deer. They will most likely run away from you, but maybe there are a few bucks whom will attack.

>>2136637
>>
not to hijack the bear thread but I go biking a lot on an extensive paved nature trail and i see lots of deer, turkeys, who will stand right off the trail and just chill and watch people (yesterday I was chilling with a doe not more than 20 feet from me etc etc.) there are also a fair amount of coyotes that will often cross the trail or dick around in the brush nearby.

I plan on starting to bike earlier in the morning just before the sun is up so I assume they'll be slightly more active than when I usually go in the mid afternoon. realistically how dangerous could a coyote be if it stumbles upon me while I'm resting/stopped? I heard that ones in suburban areas can be so used to humans that you could potentially feed them. should I bring some snacks to throw down for coyote bro if I see one? will it chase my ass if it knows I have food? I'd never hand feed one I just mean toss some grub behind me or in the woods for him to eat with the purpose of distracting it away from me. it can be a pretty populated trail so I assume they're used to seeing humans a lot.
>>
>>2137368
Generally speaking they're shy and don't want to fuck with you. So there's nothing to worry about with them stumbling upon you while you're resting. They don't want to mess with you. If one seems too curious/close for comfort, be loud and intimidating and it'll spook right off.

As for feeding them, not generally a good idea. Feeding them causes them to be too familiar with humans and get close to them for food. Which might reinforce behaviors such as following/chasing someone for food, which can further turn into heckling/aggression if that sort of behavior continues to be reinforced.

So yeah, generally speaking it's not a good idea to feed them like that, even if you're just tossing food for them. You don't want them to learn to seek out humans for food. That usually ends with a coyote that's too familiar with humans and thus it gets put down due to being a safety risk.

It's ok to watch them and whatnot, you don't have to actively avoid them or anything...but pretty much leaving them be is the best thing to do. They're awesome animals and under normal circumstances aren't dangerous, but in order to keep it that way, you should leave them alone.
>>
Black Bears are pussies, they will ignore you or run away from you 95% of the time. When in doubt, just scream and run at them
>>
>>2136510
>cubs
oooo boy
mother bears are terrifying
>>
File: 5455.jpg (128 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
5455.jpg
128 KB, 640x400
>>2136510
>because more people get killed by bees and lightning, if you go into a woods with black bears, you're more likely to get killed by the former
>this is how some people actually think
>>
>>2136505
They'll rob you at gun point
>>
>>2139049
This.

As for you OP, if you're running in the woods, especially when seeing bears regularly, get a running partner.
>>
>>2139049
it's actually still true.
>>
>>2139090
>see black bear cubs
>not afraid because statistics and bees and lightning and shit
>start playing with cubs
>wild mama bear appears and charges
>suddenly storm clouds and bee clouds out of nowhere
>zapped and stung to death before bear gets you
>>
>>2139103
if you were to actively pursue bees lighting and bears bees would still more be likely to kill you.
>>
>>2139109
Watch out for bees, they have yearly kill quota to fill.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.