[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you reptilefags insist on having pets which are incapable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16
File: 1462596779902.jpg (911 KB, 1185x1920) Image search: [Google]
1462596779902.jpg
911 KB, 1185x1920
Why do you reptilefags insist on having pets which are incapable of loving you?
>>
Why do you insist on having pets that do?
>>
File: 1459357025917.jpg (179 KB, 404x521) Image search: [Google]
1459357025917.jpg
179 KB, 404x521
>>2136276
>Why do you insist on having pets that do?

Because it's not love if it doesn't go both ways.
>>
>>2136278
Do you need love from a pet? Are you not getting it from friends and family?
>>
>>2136274
Same reason people keep fish or plants or anything that we have to provide for it's well being.

We just enjoy babying something.
>>
>>2136274

sneks enjoy tiny spaces they can barely fit in to, heat, food when they're in the mood for it, and sex. Oh and sometimes burrowing around in their aspen. And sometimes climbing.
>>
Believe it or not, some people don't like things that are emotionally needy.

When you spend your whole day in a busy environment, the last thing you want to come home to is a loud pet that wants your undivided attention.

That really shouldn't be that hard to understand. I grew up in a family that had parrots, the best part about reptiles is that they don't squawk, scream, or bark.
>>
>>2136280
>assuming
>>
Its cool im a busy person a sneko doesnt give a shit if you dont do anything with it for a few days as long as you feed it. best pet imo. that and fish too just turn theyre light on and feed em
>>
File: Screenshot_20160601-205544.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160601-205544.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
I meannn, she doesnt seam to not like me. Thats enough love for me.
>>
>>2136274
I don't give a shit that my minerals don't return my interest in them.

I figure it's the same for reptile owners. Besides, plenty of reptiles show awareness of their handlers, pester them for food or treats or attention, and some even seem to recognize their keepers.
>>
>>2136339
>Besides, plenty of reptiles show awareness of their handlers, pester them for food or treats or attention, and some even seem to recognize their keepers.

I remember reading an article about some science guy who studied his pet iguana's behavior by reading to him. While the science guy read the iguana was bobbing its head up and down almost continuously. When he had one of his students read to the lizard, the iguana would only bob its head a few times.

Apparently head bobbing is a sign of aggression with iguanas. So yes, it seems that reptiles do recognize their owners, in that they hate them even more than they hate complete strangers.
>>
>>2136345
Not always. Iguana head bobbing can be a casual "I see you" or aggressive.
Iguanas tend to give their owners the most shit because they go into breeding season and want to fuck them. Which is all well and good, except iguana breeding involves a lot of biting, and we have soft skin while they have 100+ razor sharp teeth.
>>
>>2136345
this
>>2136348
Iguana head bobbing when they arent puffed out+dewlap exposed is just a general acknowledgement to your presence
I've had my iguana defensive bob at me twice and that was when I pointed a camera at him both times
Fucker does not like camera lenses
>>
>>2136336
that's some cold blooded love right there mate, look at that tight grip coiled on your arms that some strong bonding shit right there mate
>>
>>2136290

That's a good point and is also one of the reasons I got in to reptile keeping when I was living alone, had some disposable income, and decided I wanted to keep a pet or two or six.

I am a reasonably well functioning autistic person (have job, can drive, live alone) and one of the issues I had living at home growing up was dealing with the interaction level that our dogs seemed to want of me. I could meet all the basic needs and would take them out for lots of exercise but they still always wanted to be near me and for me to aknowledge their presence, wanted to play, and so on. And that's cute. And i tried. But it really wore me down. Physical contact and continuous interaction is just not something i'm well equipped to deal with. The reptiles have about the same patience for interaction as I do. I'll bring them out for maybe 15 minutes a couple times a week to get fresh air and smell new things but i'm pretty much done after those 15 minutes and the reptiles are too. It's very nice for me that reptiles LIKE their tanks and their comfy heat sources, and often don't even want to come out that day.
>>
watching my little crested retard truck around his tank is enough pet experience for me
>>
I can't stand dogs and cats I like them around but I couldn't bear taking care of them so needy and annoying and have too many potential problems like cancer or emotional issues like anxiety

I like that my snake and gecko don't give a shit either way
>>
File: Screenshot_20160601-185331.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160601-185331.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>2136378
Nah shes just semi arboreal, like to climb and hold on, or even for warmth, never squeezed in agression let alone hiss or strike, and i feed her in her tank. Ive never even seen her move fast besides when she stretches out and gets curious.
>>
File: 20160602_004437.png (1 MB, 1439x2009) Image search: [Google]
20160602_004437.png
1 MB, 1439x2009
>>2136402
She is a baby though, and a snake, i wouldnt be surprised if it happens one day. Probably by accident or, who knows well see, but so far shes been super tame and sweet never moody.

Ill apologize in advanced for spamming pics of my snek on every herp board. I got her out today for the first time since she shed and ate and had the chance to take some.
>>
>>2136274
I have a dog, a few reptiles, Insects and fish.
only pets that love you are dogs and rats
That's it

Also, I don't have to make up excuses for my preferences.
>>
>>2136409
Looks like a dounty snek m8
>>
Basically this, except it poops and you must murder cute mice for its pleasure.
>>
>>2136274
Why do mammalfags insist that their stupid dogs and cats feel any different towards them than a pet lizard would?

They only "like" you because you give them food, you're as much as walking food dispenser to a dog as you are to a lizard. No other animal besides humans are capable of cross-species affection.
>>
>>2136549
>No other animal besides humans are capable of cross-species affection.
I like snakes more than dogs, but what you're saying is entirely bullshit.
>>
>>2136549
A dog will literally die to protect the life of its owner, especially if the family's children are there. Dogs are developed from pack animals, even if they are primitive, they are still evolved to function in a family (which implies love by definition)
>>
>>2136553
>A dog will literally die to protect the life of its owner
That's because they're reckless and overly territorial.
>which implies love by definition
Ants and finches are also "pack animals", they do it to increase odds of survival.
>>
>>2136549
That's the dumbest thing you've said all day, I presume.
>>
What's wrong with keeping a pet that doesn't love you, though? People keep plants and collect rocks, too. Sometimes you just want something neat to take care of. I keep fish, I think maybe one of them notices that I exist when I'm not feeding them, and I'm cool with that.

I wish people would stop livefeeding when unnecessary, though. Not nice for the prey, and it can endanger the predator.
>>
>>2136274
>expecting love from a pet
>>
I have cats, they don't love me.
They trust me though, more than anyone else and I seem to be their favorite in the family, they will ignore and snub each other and other family members for me.
Even my ancient feral who was tamed by father ignores him for me.

I pretty much a walking cushion, food dispenser and source of attention and cuddles but they trust me is enough.

Though I never understood the required to love you thing, my pets are a source of entertainment to me, I like to look after them and animals fascinate me.
>>
there aren't any animals capable of love that you can morally or legally keep at pet.
>>
>>2136670
This is the case with every animal, they come to trust you and view you as a source of things they need. Nothing more. People who view them as more are just anthropomorphizing their pets to ridiculous conditions.
>>
>>2136274

Love is a human emotion and animals are not capable of it. They show varying levels of TRUST. Don't mistake it for love. It is one of the reasons humans run this shit. They are not capable of emotion and this has been proven time and time again. Some personifying your pets.

I love all animals. Got 11 pets, including 2 brilliant dogs. But they show no lovely. Only trust, respect, security, and by extension loyalty.
>>
>>2136789
It's the case with every cat.

Dogs are very very capable of love. If you don't think so, you never had a good dog.
>>
>>2136278
i love drawing
my drawings don't love me back
because they're drawings
but i still love my drawings, and i love making
more, i love the act of drawing itself, as well as
the finished product
are you saying this isn't real love either?

i don't need snek to love me back, i simply love
snek regardless of what it thinks of me. i will
take care of snek as best i can, because i think
snek is great and deserves great care.

am i not allowed to get a snek, put it in a safe enviroment, keep it healthy and fed, and watch it snek around?
>>
>>2136863

The jury is still out. If you research a bit, you'll find that the dominant consenus is that dogs exhibit primary emotions (fear, anger,etc) and lack the ability to experience more complex secondary emotions (guilt, pride, etc).

Part of the reason is that the mental ability of a dog is roughly comparable to that of an 18 month old human. And an 18 month old human does not experience those secondary emotions (supposedly, they kick in around 2 years old).

In my opinion, no one knows what the fuck they're talking about it. It can't be proven. Until you get a dog to talk and explain what they're thinking, we will never really know for sure. So feel free to project on your dog all you want. No one can prove you wrong.

Love is a primary emotion, by the way. Technically. I think they're a little liberal with the definition of "emotion" and love, pride, and the sort are not actually emotions. But that's just me so disregard that.
>>
File: DSCF0589.jpg (507 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0589.jpg
507 KB, 960x720
Because they are fun and interesting to watch. Some are very huggy.
>>
I've had a great basin gopher snake for a few years. Throw some rats at him now and then. Before him, I had 3 other different snakes from arid to tropical. Meh. They're really not that exciting. Once you've had them for a bit, the novelty wears off. They're kind'a like animated decoration.

This gopher snake is an asshole, by the way. Asshole snake. Yeah you heard me. I see you slithering around in there. Asshole. Fucking $600 penthouse-pvc setup and you're still an ungrateful asshole. Why don't you clean your own shit out of your water bowl. Asshole snek.
>>
>>2136893

Every time you pass by his tank he's whispering 'basssstard'
>>
>>2136459

birds love you
>>
File: Summer is almost over 053.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Summer is almost over 053.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>2136280
This is the reason people usually get pets.

>lonely
>bored
>wants to control something
>perhaps something exotic/cool
>learning soft responsibility

I'll get a dog! Train it to be submissive and make it depend on me.

On a unrelated note:

Here is my pet Emmanuel! He doesn't make noise, needs minimal care, and cuddles me!. I got him, because I have an affinity for snails and can make me feel a little less lonely.
>>
I work 9-6 and work out 4 times a week. This guy just likes to play when he can and cuddle when he's sleepy. I'd like to think he loves me, especially how he runs back to me if he gets scared. I 100% spoil him.
>>
File: IMG_3950.jpg (93 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3950.jpg
93 KB, 480x640
>>2137242

Huh, image didn't get attached for some reason.
>>
>>2137050
Yea...but its a fucking snail
>>
>>2136274
Because I can leave for a week without arranging someone to care for my pet or if I'm just feeling tired or sick, I don't have to pet it or walk it anyway. I can appreciate my reptiles' beauty just as it is without needing them to return any emotions for me.
>>
>>2137243
varg approves
>>
>>2136867
You don't really love drawing, That's just an English turn of phrase to say, "Enjoy a lot".
>>
>>2136280
>Are you not getting it from friends and family?
Of course not. Why do you think I post here?
>>
>>2136339
This.

Hell I have a turtle who begs like a dog for table scraps when I just pass by early in the morning to use the bathroom for breakfast. She also seems to show awareness as she seems to be noticabley calmer when I handle her as opposed to others in my family and even the vet. It's not love but it's cool to me

Plus I found out she can recognize some colors, though don't know if she can see in color or not. All I know is green, yellow, red, and orange she associated with food, blue and purple confuse the fuck out of her. Thought that was neat
>>
>>2138249
Fuck it I'm biting.
Maybe reptile lovers simply really enjoy the organisms in their care
>>
>>2136789
Can't the same be said of humans? Why do you "love" someone anyway? Because they are a source of something you need. The needs may be different from lower species, but its still a need (emotional, physical, etc).
>>
>>2138453
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.
>>
>>2136274
Keeping reptiles/fish/insects is a hobby. They're not pets.
>>
>>2136278
I love plenty of people that probably don't love me because that's the way I work, cunt. I have plenty of comfort and love to give and so I give it. You shouldn't give a piece of you to expect a piece of them back.
>>
File: burns.gif (13 KB, 180x222) Image search: [Google]
burns.gif
13 KB, 180x222
>>2136280
epic burns
>>
>>2138677
That's something very easy for someone that has people who love and care about them to say.
>>
>>2138695
I just said I love several people who probably think lesser of me.
>>
>>2138697
Such as?

Who do you love that thinks lesser of you? What did you do to them?
>>
>>2138699
I dindu nothin! In short, I really enjoy somebodies company because they taught me a lot about living my life outside my own room, their family all loved me despite my mentality blah blah but then they got cooler friends and just hit me up to do drugs occasionally and to help them because they like to take advantage of my kindness to them. I had to jump her car the other day. In short, i'm beta as fuck. But it's okay. But how does this relate to reptiles? I just like the fact that there are so many different kinds, and caring for them is relatively easy. They do lack personality (most of them) and while I enjoy animals in general, I hate clingy people, but you could probably guess that I can be pretty clingy myself sometimes so I guess it's hypocritical. Maybe anthropomorphism or personifying the animal has something to do with it, but I genuinely like them because they come in so many shapes, sizes, colors, and they're quiet.
>>
File: 81f0rPb6BHL._SY679_.jpg (71 KB, 320x679) Image search: [Google]
81f0rPb6BHL._SY679_.jpg
71 KB, 320x679
>>2136274
What do yall think about screen enclosures for your sneks? Are they flimsy and a pain in the ass? I already ordered it, so no turning back.
>>
My mothers chameleon is a cunt, mom is an acceptable source of crickets and poop removal. Anyone else gets hissed and bit at.
>>
>>2138710
won't the snake rub itself on the screen and hurt itself?
>>
>>2136274
I'm not a reptilefag but Tegus can love their owners. They're pretty fucking smart and form bonds.
Also certain reptiles/amphibians are cute af, so that's a plus. Not likely your hamster loves you.
>>
>>2138710
Won't humidity be hard to maintain?
>>
>>2138848
Which is why you get based rats instead.
>>
>>2138409
That's okay. There is nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>2138249
not really arguing semantics here bub
you know what i mean when i say "i love to draw"
>>
y'all need budgies
>>
File: party snek.jpg (451 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
party snek.jpg
451 KB, 1280x960
>>2136274
snakes are cute, this is now a cute snake thread.
>>
File: naked hot snakes.jpg (1 MB, 2358x2591) Image search: [Google]
naked hot snakes.jpg
1 MB, 2358x2591
>>
File: Noodle the snek.jpg (205 KB, 797x584) Image search: [Google]
Noodle the snek.jpg
205 KB, 797x584
>>
File: 20160509_165132.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160509_165132.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>2136274
>implying Blue doesn't love me
Austist detected
>>
>>2139976
Why get some nervous excitable little shits when you can get a GCC?
Best companion bird of all time.
OF ALL TIME
>>
>>2137050

Every pet I've had for that last 15 years was a cat that either showed up at my house and i started feeding it or that a friend or family member gave me because "he's the guy with all those cats!"

Please stop giving me cats... I love them though.
>>
I respect it's skill as a hunter and I observe it hunt as I do when catch mantises in September.
>>
>>2136549
Dogs were purposefully molded to have affection for humans.

>>2136661
>they do it to increase odds of survival
No, they do it because they want to. And they want to because the ones who naturally wanted to had better chances of survival, and subsequently passed on their genes to the next generation in greater frequency.

It's the exact same reason why humans are so social and altruistic. The ones who were naturally were better able to survive and pass along their genes.
>>
>>2140235
>ants wanting to be pack animals
What? Ants evolved to create complex colonies to survive. It's instinct, not because they consciously decided to create ant colonies
Also humans being altruist?
Sorry to burst your bubble friendo but our empathy rarely extends beyond our closest companions. Stop pretending like you and everyone else is a kind caring person because no stranger cares for you
>>
>>2140240
>What? Ants evolved to create complex colonies to survive. It's instinct, not because they consciously decided to create ant colonies
Are you replying to the wrong person? Because that's what I just said. The anon I was replying to was saying that animals consciously decide to socialize because it increases their chance of survival.
>Also humans being altruist? Sorry to burst your bubble friendo but our empathy rarely extends beyond our closest companions. Stop pretending like you and everyone else is a kind caring person because no stranger cares for you
Nope. Humans are objectively hyper altruistic when compared to most other species, especially other mammals and even other social primates. For example, chimps will participate in kin-based altruism and reciprocal altruism, but that's it. Members of the Homo genus, however, take social bonds to the next level. There is fossil evidence of elderly H. erectus males with no teeth and H. Neanderthals missing limbs who survived solely because of the direct care of their tribe members.
>>
>>2140240

Humans are actually considered unusually altruistic as a species - more so to closer kin, but plenty of people will help out a stranger or even an animal, and our brains light up like a frigging firework when we see something in distress. It's a major part of our evolution as humans are stronger in a group, unable to survive independently from birth and relatively quite badly disabled by pregnancy. I'm sorry you've had such a dismal life though.
>>
>>2136379
Not to derail the thread or anything but do you get the same sense of accomplishment out of using the internet to communicate easily with others?
I'm autistic as well and I can't fucking deal with people in reality.
>>
My tegu loves to sit on my lap and purr while I brush his fur. He also brings in dead mice and birds because he thinks I can't hunt, I'm not sure if that's condescension or love.
>>
I don't get why dog owners shit on other pet types because those pets don't behave like dogs.

If I wanted a dog
I would have gotten a dog

It's like shitting on sourdough bread because it's not sweet like cake. You can go on and on and on about how sweet your cake is, but I specifically got bread because I DON'T want it to be sweet
>>
>>2140282

Yes, internet makes interaction with people easier although i still don't develop or maintain friendships online. I like these anonymous boards best.
>>
>>2140304
I guess some people are assholes. I'm a dog person myself, I wouldn't have a cat in the house. That being said I have no problems with other people cats, nor would I bitch about them online.
Some people just aren't as passionate about animals and nature as they say.
>>
>>2136278
I am a devoted raper of fag OPs and I take offense to that I am perfectly capable of genuine love
>>
>>2136549
at least you dropped that fucking trip bugguy
>>
>>2140167
Jozzy detected
>>
File: 1449379070003.gif (594 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1449379070003.gif
594 KB, 200x200
>>2136280
>love from friends and family
>I'm on 4chan
>>
>>2136282
>sneks enjoy tiny spaces they can barely fit in to

That is utterly false, unless the snake is trying to hide. Snakes require an enclosure that lets them fully stretch out and more than the 6"-8" of height most racks provide.

>>2138710
Absolute shit tier or 99.99% of species. Only suitable for certain arboreals, as stated in the other thread you posted this in. Do not house your boa in there, it will suffer.
>>
>>2140696
>That is utterly false, unless the snake is trying to hide. Snakes require an enclosure that lets them fully stretch out and more than the 6"-8" of height most racks provide.

Tiny spaces is in reference to hiding spots. Not total enclosure size. A very common new snake keeper mistake is to put hides in that are too large. Snakes like hides that they can jam in to and feel the walls on all sides when they're curled up.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.