[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, tell me about pet birds. Been looking into stuff, starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: birds.jpg (15 KB, 337x272) Image search: [Google]
birds.jpg
15 KB, 337x272
So, tell me about pet birds.
Been looking into stuff, starting with what species to consider/avoid.

So far I see that cockatoos are to be avoided. Canaries/finches aren't that affectionate.
African Greys are the smartest but rare/pricey.

I am looking at the ones that enjoy interaction.
>>
bird general I guess too, if people want to talk about that
>>
Just get the standard ones like cockatiels or budgies. The big parrots are too much effort for a first time bird owner. They also live really really long.
>>
pyrrhura conures
>>
Cockatiels, budgies, and quakers make excellent first time birds. As do some conures and lovebirds. Keep in mind though that all exotic birds require LOTS of one-on-one time, special diets, and money to keep happy and healthy.
>>
I had a pacific parrotlet that was super affectionate and loved attention. No one seems to mention them ever for some reason.
>>
Yeah, I've rarely seen or heard about parrotlets.

>>2135571
>>2135585

Yeah, Cockatiel and budgies seem to be the option less likely to result in regret. From what I've read.
I actually do want to interact with the bird.

Thanks
>>
>>2136261
budgies, unless youre really lucky, wont give you as much affection and attention as other birds. they just arent as touchy.
>>
>>2135487
Avoid the one on the complete right in your picture. I don't remember it's name but we had like 3 of them when I was a kid and they fucking scream all the time. Like you amplified a crow and then put it on loop. They are nice birds but the screaming is unbearable.
>>
>>2135487
Get a senegal parrot, they're smart as whips, are low up keep, and are known as "apartment" parrots because they're quieter than most birds and generally just make beep and whistle sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnR-YWpUug4
>>
>>2136485

hand raised budgies will
>>
Cockatiels are a good go-to lower maintainence companion bird.

Do not get a larger parrot unless you are a crazy person who is willing to change your entire lifestyle to revolve around the parrot.
>>
>>2136585
Got it
The large parrots are super costly anyway
>>
Cockatiels can be super affectionate.
Get a couple as they are social animals and will actually be lower maintenance if they have a friend.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.