[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/aq/-aquarium general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 106
File: findley_crimson_sky.jpg (127 KB, 1500x578) Image search: [Google]
findley_crimson_sky.jpg
127 KB, 1500x578
James 'Brave Choice' Findley Edition -

Continued from
>>2128571

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE

We all make mistakes, so don't put anyone down - rather be helpful.
Chances are, you made a similiar mistake when you were starting out.

>Cool Youtube Channels:

>Aquascaping -

James Findley/The Green Machine
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenMachineLtd

Dennis Wong
https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

Filipe Oliveira
https://www.youtube.com/user/FaaoStudio

Oliver Knott
https://www.youtube.com/user/amanoshrimp

>Building your own shit/ Fish&Plant talk

King of DIY
https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Dustin's Fish Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Wayne's Fish World
https://www.youtube.com/user/samuelwaynefoleyjr

Aquarium related documentaries (German & English)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtkQ-oVBStx0EYRcwz3bHSA

If you got any suggestions, especially related to cool saltwater channels, feel free to post them
>>
>>2134966
Is it bad that I have the hots for Dustin? He lives like an hour away, too.
>>
>>2134997
His channel has gone to shit. His webinars are cool, I guess, but most of his videos now have very little to offer. I'm disappointed.
>>
>>2135000
He has a kid or two, what do you expect? I love his ghetto fish tank vid tho.
>>
>>2135002
He's had kids since he started his channel. His dirted tank series and Peru vids are cool, but too many of them now are lacking in valuable content. I'm hoping he has some insightful vids with his new pond project.
>>
Just had to put my longhorn cow fish down :( He hasn't eaten anything since I got him two weeks ago, and I've tried all different types of food. 4 types of frozen, 3 types of flakes, 3 types of pellets, and lots of seaweed wraps... He would always put it in his mouth, but would always spit the entire thing out, without eating anything. He gradually has gotten weaker and weaker trying to fight my current. Today I found him laying in my chaeto basket. He could still swim, but he must've swallowed air or fucked up his swim bladder, cuz he was always on the surface with his head pointed down, trying to swim down. And due to the toxins they release on death, I didn't feel comfortable leaving him while I was gone to work today... Took him out of the tank and put him out of his misery....
>>
Would it be cost effective to build one of those long shallow aquariums?
>>
>Someone else watches Dennis Wong videos

Thought I was the only one.
>>
What do you have to do to do Aquascaping as a career like James Findley or Tom Barr?
>>
What would you guys put into a 65 gallon tank with angelfish?
Tank is freshwater, and fully cycled
Also, how many angelfish would you recommend to get? I was thinking like 4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3k4uItZDtI

Why do professional aquascapers like this, who clearly have loads of money (as evidenced by all that ADA meme quipment), choose to use in tank ceramic diffusers instead of an inline difuser or external reactor? The only reason to use a ceramic diffuser is because you don't have a cannister filter, which that guy clearly has. And everyone agrees that ceramic diffusers are inferior to inline.

Is it just the aquascape equivalent of black people leaving price tags on their clothing?
>>
File: maxresdefault (43).jpg (307 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (43).jpg
307 KB, 1920x1080
Can someone explain what these Twinstar Nano things actually are?

Someone in the last thread said they don't do anything, but they're being used by so many professionals that they can't just be snake oil.

The website says it stops algae growth but doesn't say how.
>>
>>2135063
You could probably go up to 6, but 4 is good. I have 3 in my 55 and there is plenty of space for them to get away from each other.

My pick for tankmates would be pencilfish. N. mortenthaleri are gorgeous, but can be pricey. I think trifasciatus and beckfordii are also nice.
>>
>>2135077
Check out The King of DIY's latest video. He builds one for like $8.
>>
>>2135088
>Electric wires in tank

This seems safe.
>>
>>2135077
Pretty sure it accomplishes the same thing as a UV sterilizer. It kills the algae spores before algae can grow, and also claims to treat "pathogens" that could infect shrimp and fish.
>>
>>2135097
So it's meme tier and you could just use a UV sterilizer instead?
>>
>>2135099
I think so. I don't know if it is more effective at killing algae spores than a UV sterilizer, though.
>>
>>2134980
Any other plants you would suggest?
>>
File: cringe.jpg (32 KB, 330x168) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
32 KB, 330x168
Cringe stories?
Just found this on liveaquaria
>>
>>2135112
Cover the substrate with blyxa and attach anubias nana petite to your hardscape.
>>
Anyone have any experience cleaning up an old, dirty tank?

I heard of using white vinegar to clean it, is that my only option?
>>
>>2135320
Vinegar and water.
>>
>>2135325
So not even pure ammonia? Guess I'd better stock up on some white vinegar.
>>
give it to me straight /aq/ is it worth it to start a nano reef?
>>
>>2135373
only you can answer that question, and only after you've done it.
>>
>>2135373
quick answer: no
>>
>>2135077
>>2135097
would this work in saltwater?
>>
File: 20160531_102421_HDR~2.jpg (2 MB, 2988x3127) Image search: [Google]
20160531_102421_HDR~2.jpg
2 MB, 2988x3127
Someone help I've just seen two fucking live bloodworms wiggling around my new mopani wood that I boiled for like 4 days and I don't know if I should siphon because I put in some dwarf hairgrass a little over a week ago but fuckin' A don't these things become pests quick? I'm afraid they'll live in my gravel if I just let it be. 20gal tank is empty save 5 marimo, 2 ghost shrimp, and 3 cherry shrimp. I've never put any live bloodworms in this tank, only frozen. My mopani is also going through a bacterial bloom which I was told would dissipate on its own and was completely normal.

Any ideas what could've caused this?

I was gonna get a pleco tomorrow (unrelated)..

What can I do to get them out?
Any fish or chemical or something that won't destroy my plants?
>>
>>2135373
under 30 gallons no,
but if youre dedicated to saltwater it can be more rewarding than fresh. In saltwater anything under 100 gallons is considered "nano"
>>
Fluval spec 6g here

Big momma guppy
10 baby guppies
Siamese Algae Eater
Male scarlet badis
American flag fish

Thinking of going from moderately planted to dense to handle the bioload and for the flagfish/badis.
>>
>>2135492

I'm aware this setup isn't kosher
>>
Anyone ever had a fish not being aggressive enough?

I moved my featherfin from the hospital tank to a new cichlid tank, hes at least 4x bigger than anything in there and every source i've read says they do well with African cichlids but he's already getting beat up and doesnt really swim around at all

I've had this catfish for 6 years and I want him to be happy but he's just not working in any of my tanks
>>
File: tmp_4027-Fish2284-1404642178.jpg (33 KB, 600x343) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4027-Fish2284-1404642178.jpg
33 KB, 600x343
All time fav saltwater fish
>>
>>2135412

Don't worry about your DHG. It's going to die in there anyway.

>>2135492
>>2135501

Don't worry about the flagfish/badis/algae eater, they won't live long anyway in there.

>I'm aware this setup isn't kosher

People don't just make shit up to pick on you. That's a very poorly thought out stock list.
>>
File: candy basslet.jpg (74 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
candy basslet.jpg
74 KB, 850x638
>>2135505
I have a few faves.
Here's one I haven't owned yet.
>>
>>2135492
>>2135501
>I'm aware this setup isn't Kosher
Ignore the haters. There are zero consequences to your actions. They're only fish, so they don't matter anyways
>>
File: flame-angelfish-300x169.jpg (19 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
flame-angelfish-300x169.jpg
19 KB, 300x169
>>2135513
Heres mine, some of the brightest fish ive ever seen irl
>>
>>2135520
I've owned 3 of those over the last 20 years, I absolutely love them. Hardy, not mean, and just gorgeous. Getting a bit pricey lately though because they're popular.

I keep looking for them in the wild, I want a pic of one in the ocean but so far no luck.
>>
File: P8010168.jpg (91 KB, 508x640) Image search: [Google]
P8010168.jpg
91 KB, 508x640
>>2135520
Here's a pic of one I had.
Along with another of my favorite fish, harlequin tuskfish.
>>
File: basslet1.jpg (17 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
basslet1.jpg
17 KB, 320x240
>>2135520
these too. would post Damselfish because I like the way they look but theyre fucking demons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhEOw10iM2c
My favorite reefing video. Look at that anemone tank
>>
File: a2 (2).jpg (113 KB, 563x506) Image search: [Google]
a2 (2).jpg
113 KB, 563x506
>>2135525
I've had just straight damsel tanks before, I love them. Gorgeous fish some of them.

Right now I have a tank of all damsels except for a clown and a coral beauty. I also love the price of damsels, so cheap for some really pretty fish.
>>
>>2135527
Im about to get back into the salt hobby soon. Im thinking of going with a jbj 45 and trying something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBlapxh0OYc
That guys mixed reef is so fucking nice imo.
Also might try a wrasse out for the first time once I get things started
>>
File: a.jpg (432 KB, 1710x871) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
432 KB, 1710x871
>>2135531
that's a really good looking box, the guy has some skill. He says he has a lot to learn, but I think he's got params down.

I like wrasses. They're good pet fish, they learn who you are and will play with you. Really smart fish.

Other than the Harlequin Tusk, pic related is the only wrasse I've kept. I'd like to find a Thalassoma trilobatum, I've been looking for years.
>>
>>2135505
It just looks like a slightly purpler N. multifasciatus.
>>
>>2135052
I think that is just learning by doing and becoming so good, you can turn it into a career. Of course a background in aquaristics helps.

>>2135050
I stumpled upon him by accident and found his videos to be very insightful

>>2135064
I always asked myself that too. I really guess it's about product placement. You can't effectively present an inline-system. But that's just my assumption.

>>2135112
All depends on your overall layout.Small Rotala would be cool I guess, especially if it's brighter red for a nice contrast.

>>2135492
As many pointed out, you set yourself up for failure with that selection. I'd give the Algae Eater and Flag Fish away and invest in some amanos.

Unless you are very anal about water parameters, you will run into problems, when your more aggressive fish grow up and shit up the tank, literally and metaphorically speaking.
>>
Where can I buy these? They're the hidden LED strips that come with the Nat Geo 36 gallon ensemble and the Marineland LED 60 gallon ensemble sold at PetSmart, but I've never seen them sold separately. I can't even find them online.
>>
>>2135563
ebay has them
>>
>>2135563
You tried craigslist? Maybe someone there offeres them seperately.

Did your strips die?
>>
>>2135563
Double check your local petsmart for em. I used to work at one and we carried two different lengths.
>>
>>2135511
How does that help me or answer my questions.
>>
>Set up a nano aquarium with a sand foreground
>It gets algae growing on it, dirty and looks like shit
>Look how the pros keep their sand foregrounds clean
>They just siphon out the sand and replace it every week.

Nice
>>
File: week 4.jpg (160 KB, 1509x849) Image search: [Google]
week 4.jpg
160 KB, 1509x849
So my DSM experiment was a big failure and stuff at the back started melting.

I flooded 2 days ago and things seem to be going ok. HC is pealing well.

Unfortunately I don't think the melted plants at the back will recover. The yellow leaves are dead. Fortunately there is new growth under the melt.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
>>2135566 #
>>2135613 #
I've found other "hidden" strips on eBay and PetSmart, like pic related, but they're bulkier and more complicated. I was hoping for the really minimalist type ones. Is there a particular keyword I should search for?
>>
>>2135412
Rather get some cory cats. They should make a short process out of those bloodworms, but in general, they are harmless and a good live food source.

Your hair grass is indeed suffering a bit, as others pointed out, but if you do not intend for an intricate aquascape, it shouldnt be a problem
>>
>>2135822
Don't get discouraged. I myself always preferred a wet start to a dry one. Many plants seem to get confused and adapt to their emersed form and spend much energy on that rather than developing proper roots fast and spreading. At least that was the case with me often times.
>>
File: 1345650485081.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1345650485081.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
There's white fuzzy mold all over my tank out of nowhere that won't go away. I scrub it off and do a water change and it comes back within 24 hours. How the fuck do I get rid of this nasty shit? It's driving me crazy.
>>
Is ÂŁ50 a good price for a full 2Kg fire extinguisher with a dual stage regulator with electric solanoid?

For anyone that uses one of these, how long do you find 2KG of Co2 lasts?
>>
>>2135900

>Is ÂŁ50 a good price for a full 2Kg fire extinguisher with a dual stage regulator with electric solanoid?

2kg CO2 FE: ÂŁ25

Dual stage regulator and solenoid: ÂŁ89 (CO2art)

>how long do you find 2KG of Co2 lasts?

For a 60 litre aquarium running 2 bps for 8 hours a day, about 6 months.
>>
How often do I need to change my filter media? When I do change it, are there any risks of a mini-cycle? IIRC most of the filter bacteria lives on the gravel/rocks, right?
Thanks
>>
>>2135990
What kind of filter media are we talking about here? Really you should only ever need to change the mechanical filter (usually a sponge), and that only needs to be done when it's clogged. Ceramic media or bioballs may not ever need to be changed.
>>
Well I've just bought a Fire Extinguisher based Co2 system and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Hope I don't blow myself up.
>>
>>2135994

Just remember that if you're using a cable tie to keep the squeeze trigger held down, that if you want to detach the regulator after setting the system up, cut the cable tie even if you think that the tank is empty.
>>
File: whatfish170.jpg (150 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
whatfish170.jpg
150 KB, 800x600
>>2135511

I just bought the algae eater to take care of the algae on the plant leafs and the flag fish was an impulse buy that I'll eventually rehome.

I do water changes usually twice a week. The only thing I need to get are more plants to break lines of sight for the benefit of the flagfish. I don't see any signs of stress in any of them
>>
File: 20160601_142943.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160601_142943.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
This is my current fish tank. Can I put more fish in it? Total of 4 fish, 2 Goldfish, 1 male betta, 1 platy. I had another platy but it died with bloated stomach. What can I add to improve it?
>>
>>2136072
how big is that tank? those goldfish will probably outgrow it
>>
File: Pseudepiplatys-annulatus-01.jpg (130 KB, 782x592) Image search: [Google]
Pseudepiplatys-annulatus-01.jpg
130 KB, 782x592
>>2135511

Fuck off man, I likely know more about the hobby than you. It's temporary

I'm planning on keeping the badis and finding it a mate along 4 or 5 clown killifish
>>
>>2136084
My guess is 7-10 gallons. I used a standard ruler to measure which came up with 15 gallons but no way is that 15 gallons since I already have another 15 gallon but is bigger
>>
>>2136072

The bio load is too heavy, you'll end doing water changes every few days. You don't have the plants or substrate to help clear the waste as well.
>>
>>2136089
What kind of plants can I add and what is a substrate? I LITERALLY have no experience with fish. I inherited both of them. The goldfish came in the tank but were left to die by a girl who abandoned her apartment. The other betta was there becuase my little sibiling had it in fish bowl but of course it didn't survive well and had a missing fin plus Ich (still Ich tho). I just added platys to keep them company.
>>
>>2136091

I would change from gravel to sand and get a bunch of easy plants like sword and anubus.

I don't know why you thought they needed company because you are overstocked to the point of harming the fish. Get rid of the goldfish eventually
>>
>>2136091
this>>2136104
If you wanna keep those goldfish, you're gonna have to buy a separate much bigger tank for them eventually
The betta will be fine on his own, otherwise if you want it to have company, get smaller fish
>>
File: desc_1113371303_00.jpg (59 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
desc_1113371303_00.jpg
59 KB, 500x398
Beginner question here, but the different filter medias confuse me a bit. Currently I have a small filter with a sponge (this is the mechanical filter?) underneath a small bag of white ceramic tubes (this is the biologic filter?).

The ceramic pieces are getting pretty filthy and was wondering if I should wash them out? The brown algae build up on them is getting to be enough to actually slow the water flow by a noticeable amount, but I also understand that the algae that grows on the biologic filter is needed?

Should I wash them off or replace them completely?

Thanks guys, they look sort of like pic related.
>>
>>2136155
the sponge is both mechanical and biological filtration.

the brown slime on the ceramic is indeed the bacteria of your biofilter.

if it's slowing the flow you might rinse them.

Just take out some tank water and put the ceramic media in your container of tank water. Rinse them off by lightly rolling them around in your hand. You're just trying to remove the excess bacteria, don't try to get them clean.

Once you've done that, put the media back in the filter and dump the water you used to rinse them.
>>
File: mignong60.jpg (84 KB, 380x499) Image search: [Google]
mignong60.jpg
84 KB, 380x499
>>2136160
Thanks man, will do.

So it's correct if I have my ceramic beads on top of my sponge?

My filter is a AZOO Mignon Filter 60 (pic) and the sponge is in the bottom half of the vertical chamber.
>>
>>2136072
>Can I put more fish in it?
Remove the goldfish, they grow huge, stunting them in a small tank will make them prone to disease faster.
>but can I?
Possibly, depends on what you want.
>>2136091
>What kind of plants can I add?
Anything really, low-light, fast growing ones are your best bet. Don't trust carpeting plants that google says.
>what is a substrate?
Flooring, I would replace the gravel with black sand but it's all personal preference really.
>>
About to use an old fish tank I found in my shed that still works and has some neat rocks and fake plants in it, so I'm just lurking these /aq/ threads to learn more before starting.

I watched The Green Machine's most popular video, was not expecting myself to watch the full 30 minutes. The amount of detail put into that is fucking remarkable and looks beautiful
>>
>>2136043
>>2136087

Algae eaters get big, for a tank that size your algae crew should be amanos and a nerite. American Flag Fish get too big and too aggressive for a badis and they grow fast.

And "it's temporary" is bullshit. Badis are slow, picky eaters. The guppies will out compete and starve the little guy before you even have a chance to cycle a new tank.

Quit trying to justify it, just admit you grabbed random shit at your LFS without researching it because it looked cool.
>>
mystery snail seems like it got a bacterial infection. not moving much the last few days, but still retracts when touched.

aside from water changes what else can i do?
>>
>>2136260
You are correct having the beads on top of the sponge.

Also, be sure to do what anon said and use TANK water when cleaning the ceramic media. Do not use tap water, as that will kill the bacteria.
>>
>>2136072
Try to get a new home for the goldfish and add some water lettuce as a swimming plant,

elodea, cabomba and hygrophila as stem plants (dirt cheap, hard to kill)

And if you like, get a small lava rock and a small anubias nana, attach it to it.

>>2136043
I have many algae easters, crossocheilus reticulatus and siamensis and if they do not get company of their kind, they sorta flip the fuck out and can let their aggression out on other tankmates.

You should do the following:

remove flag fish, remove algae eater - find a new home for them

See how your badis does - those guppies could suppress him so either use the tank for your badis or for the guppys if that occurs

Also add Amanos and snails and you should have no problems with algae whatsoever.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3024x3024
>>2126284
This is me

My co2 had trouble fitting in the cabinet, I probably should have measured first kek
I don't know where the hose goes on the regulator but I'll figure that out. Some welding company said told me it would cost 30 dollars to fill my 10lb tank. I'm wondering if I should add a vertical piece of wood in the corners for extra support.
I think it will already hold up a 200lb tank but im paranoid.
>>
File: 20160602_121235.jpg (911 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160602_121235.jpg
911 KB, 1836x3264
Ok so I just collected my Co2

Somethings I've noticed that are a bit alarming.

Even though the nut is very tight on the FE. The whole regulator can rotate with a bit of force.

Also there's no signs on the front knob to say which was to turn it for more or less pressure.
>>
File: 20160601_175739.jpg (213 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
20160601_175739.jpg
213 KB, 450x800
>>2136603
Well I just tried it out. Nothing exploded as I gingerly pulled the lever. And a gentle hiss of Co2 came out the end of the needle valve.

Will have to wait till my new metal bubble counter and check valve come in the post because there's no way the plastic ones I've been using with this DIY setup will take the pressure.
>>
Guys, I've notice my tanks have been getting considerably warmer lately. It's 4:30AM here in Central California, and my temps are reaching 83.8F/28.8C. Normally, that's comfy territory for my gouramis, loaches, and plants but I'm worried about the health of my Rummynose Rasboras and shrimp.

My tank gets indirect sunlight for a few hours a day, and the house itself kinda gets warm. All I can really do is turn up my HOB filters, lower the surface of the water by a couple of cms, and take off my glass canopy hood. Will that be enough to cool the tank down? Or will my Sawbwa Barbs and shrimpies have to endure a 4 month heatwave?

I plan on buying a clip-on fan to blow on the surface of the water, and some floating hornwort to stop potential jumpers. Don't want to see or step on any crispy fishies baked into the floor when I return from work late ;_;
>>
>>2136622
how big is your tank? maybe just fill a plastic waterbottle with water, freeze it, put it in the tank and have a second one ready, when the one you have is thawed so you can achieve your desired temperature and refreeze used up bottles.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3024x3024
>>2126284
Back again

I read the instructions and set up the bubble counter and inline reactor.

What plants are good for an iwagumi tank?
I was thinking of going with hc Cuba?
>>
>>2136626
It's a 40 breeder. Can't be assed to do ice bottles since I'm at work all day
>>
File: 1463257066659.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1463257066659.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
>>2136627
>>
>>2136632
I'm actually at work most of the time too. In the morning I just slip in an appropriate bottle (when forecast says its getting too hot) and let it thaw til i come back. Of course I use a bottle size that get's the temperature to level I want it to be.

Your other options are going lidless, installing fans or getting an aquatic cooler (usually quite expensive)

I'd just monitor the situation for now. Are the Shrimp Caridina or Neocaridina?
>>
>>2136627
HC is what most use, but beware that you need great lighting for that.

Nice dildo btw. You a grill?
>>
File: 20160602_132212[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160602_132212[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2136643
Not the guy you're replying too, but I've heard a few people say that high light isn't really needed for HC, just good flow and Co2. Dennis Wong talks about it in his HC video.

I'm growing it under a 1100 lumen DIY LED fixture. With DIY Co2
>>
>>2136645
may I ask how big your tank is? I got a 60l one with a 1600 lumen LED and according to some sites, I would need almost twice the lumen to let it grow properly. Maybe I'mma go try it out one time.
>>
File: 20160601_185618.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160601_185618.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>2136648
25L
>>
>have rainbow shark and bristlenose pleco together
>noticed rainbow shark is suddenly too afraid to eat from the same algae wafer as the pleco
>no noticeable injuries
>pleco now regularly runs off the rainbow shark
>rainbow shark shares second wafer with loaches instead

The fuck? Kind of assumed the shark would be the more aggressive one in this situation. I know plecos can get a little aggressive over food, but dayum, didn't expect it to scare off a fish twice its size.
>>
Are there any aquarium plants that CAN'T be grown in a temperate tank?

I'm considering keeping my next project, a 4ft dutch style, unheated.

Temps wont get below 20c
>>
>>2136731

>Temps wont get below 20c

If that's the case then it's hardly temperate is it? But no, you shouldn't run into any problems. Lower temps supports higher dissolved CO2 and slows down their metabolism it can be beneficial for plants to be kept cooler, just as long as you're not after lightning fast growth.
>>
When will /aq/ merge with /plant/?
>>
>>2135880
It's the filter I have on the pic, my light is better than what it shows, plus I'm leaving another one on at night, dosing co2 and leafzone regularly.
If it doesn't do better in a couple of weeks I'll probably leave it as-is and invest in taller plants.
>>2136672
I got a pea puffer yesterday and expected it to tear apart my smaller shrimp, but my smaller shrimp were bullying it instead.

Maybe your pleco talks shit, maybe your rainbow shark is shy.
>>
I'm in love with bloodfin tetras
I have a school of 5, and they like to hang out with my congo tets
They're so cute
>>
>>2136949
You you love them so much take a picture off tumblr instead of taking one of them?
>>
>>2136866
never.

People that raise plants underwater like to believe they're elite aquarists at the pinnacle of achievement in their field.

recognizing them as nothing more than mediocre gardeners would ruin the whole thing.
>>
File: notcomfy.jpg (95 KB, 779x563) Image search: [Google]
notcomfy.jpg
95 KB, 779x563
>>2136632
>>2136642
...You know, on second thought I think I'm just gonna grab a 16oz bottle and drop it in frozen inside my tank before I go to work

The shrimp are both Cherries and Amanos, I'm less worried about them since my shrimp always seem to thrive under abuse for no reason. I'm more worried about my Asian Rummynoses, they must be cooking in there since their optimal temperatures according to most sites maxes out at 75/76F
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
>>2126284 Here

Aqua forest gave me a pretty shit rock imho 2bh
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3024x3024
2/2
>>
>>2137145
>>2137148
Those do look like some boring rocks senpai

Maybe try standing them up and experiment with arrangements? Don't forget that you can bury a portion of it into your substrate too
>>
>>2137145

They actually look pretty good, did you end up getting koke as well?
>>
File: 20160602_172425.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160602_172425.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>2136976
Yes
>>
>>2137145
>>2137148
they look preddy guud
>>
File: DSC_0473.jpg (429 KB, 2992x1617) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0473.jpg
429 KB, 2992x1617
>>2137161
>>2137197
>>2137211
thats the same rock

I realized I didn't see a bunch of things I ordered in the boxes so I started throwing the packing material everywhere until I thought to look in the aquarium and saw they put 6 different things inside of it, the absolute madmen.

The glass cover was shattered.
It was in the tank with two pieces of wood, a hose, mat and thermometer.

I haven't seen any scratches but I haven't looked super closely yet either. Theres a bunch of shattered glass in the cracks and I have no idea how to get it out safely, or if pieces so small could even do damage. Everything big I got with a vacuum.

All this because they didn't want to spend or charge me 10$ to properly ship a sheet of glass. It was just thrown in the tank in a cardboard box.

Their return policy is they "help you" file a claim with the carrier and they won't refund you until thats settled. This just seems like negligence with packing on their part to me and not the fault of ups.
>>
File: IMG_20160529_213430939.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_213430939.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Rate my 36 gallon.
>>
>>2137266
Neriteeggseverywhere/10
>>
>>2137266
Hope you like babies, cuz thats how you get babies, but Im a sucker for Anubias and Swords, so I give it a Brettygood/100
>>
>>2137082
>meanwhile in sunny California
Man, if it weren't for the hot as balls summers, I really wouldn't mind it here.

I use a small USB fan on my 20 long and leave the front hinge of the Versa-Top open. It keeps the tank around 72-74 instead of 80-82.
>>
>Fall for the "ADA is high quality meme"
>Buy an ADA diffusor
>Struggling to get co2 tubing onto the end
>It shatters in my hand and cuts me up

Ah yes very good quality
>>
>>2137363
How much you paid for that ADA diffusor? Was it the 100$ one?

I use a cheap ass typhoon JBL one I paid around 15$ for on my nano tank and never had an issue.
>>
>>2137367
About that new, but I bought used.
>>
File: 20160602_043431.jpg (430 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160602_043431.jpg
430 KB, 1280x720
Next time I'm getting moss, I'm getting the slow growing variety. I already plucked enough to fill up a gallon jar a couple months ago, and now this thing expanded to the size of a goddamn soccer ball
>>
File: 20151126_162900.jpg (422 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20151126_162900.jpg
422 KB, 1280x720
>>2137398
Just for reference, this is the tissue cultured Taxiphyllum "Spiky" from Tropica I superglued at the end of November. That giant ass ball is actually the left portion by itself

While mosses are pretty, they are a pain in the ass to trim and clean up after. I think I'll stick with Java Fern and Buce on hardscape when I move in 3 weeks and rescape my tank again. And maybe stems too just to watch them grow out and provide some surface cover, I've always liked how Rotala Rotundifolia looked in my old tank before I had to nuke it for camallanus worms
>>
>>2137398
Do you use Co2?
>>
>>2137363

ADA is good, just overpriced. You'll find that all glassware is fragile, you should warm the co2 hose with hot water first before trying to force it.

Same goes for taking it off, the tubing will get brittle after a few years so best to use a sharp knife rather than trying to use brute force.
>>
Pea puffer will not eat.

Won't eat frozen bloodworms, live bloodworms, pest snails, or live cherry or ghost shrimp. Wtf.

I'm about to go to the store and buy some brine shrimp, hopefully some with garlic in them.

I even put him in a smaller enclosure temporarily with live and frozen bloodworms and a bunch of small live snails to see if anything would get his interest and nothing happened. He nibbled at one of the live ones but it wiggled and he ran.

He doesn't look sickly skinny yet, but he hasn't eaten for three days.

Anyone else have a particularly picky pea puffer?
>>
>>2137456
>Anyone else have a particularly picky pea puffer?

Perhaps pea puffers preposterously prefer partaking Portuguese pork portions precisely prepared pickled?
>>
File: 56363.png (392 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
56363.png
392 KB, 470x470
How long will a pic related (JBL Proflora M601) last if I pump 2-3 bubbles per second?
>>
File: 1449644435731.jpg (86 KB, 446x373) Image search: [Google]
1449644435731.jpg
86 KB, 446x373
>Oscar keeps ramming his HOB filter
>Keep waking up in middle of night to loud grinding of impeller out of place
IM GONNA FRY YOU UP YOU LITTLE SHIT REEEEEEEEE
>>
I Really want duckweed or fairy moss/azolla

is it a bad idea to get it if its going in a 10 gallon betta tank? I've heard it grows quickly so if it pans out, I plan to put a bit in my 50 gallon community tank
>>
>>2137612
just buy a fire extinguisher and a regulator for 1/4 the price.
>>
>>2136493

I will rehome both when they get too big.

I think guppies get a bad rep, the badis is never in competition with them because he doesn't eat dry or frozen food.
>>
File: 1455796335222.jpg (64 KB, 760x380) Image search: [Google]
1455796335222.jpg
64 KB, 760x380
Trying to carpet Monte Carlo in a Walstad tank, no CO2 and 108W of lighting, lets see how it goes, I'll post pictures tomorrow.
>>
Better pic with anubus I replanted
>>
File: fts (2).jpg (296 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fts (2).jpg
296 KB, 1280x720
>>2137427
No co2, just Excel from when I dosed it daily for 2-3 months and then stopped and went back to full low-tech with no water changes

One night I found one of my Sawbwa Barbs sleeping in the moss like this, went to get my phone to take a pic and then found my Honey also getting comfy. Kinda sad that I'll be getting rid of this giant clump, hope my shrimp and fish enjoy sleeping in java fern and buce instead!
>>
>>2137863

Favorite part of the tank is this little forest( pygmy chain sword?).
>>
File: fts.jpg (488 KB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
fts.jpg
488 KB, 1279x720
I also noticed my Dwarf Hairgrass is finally showing runners after 2 months! It was about 1 month of Excel dosing, 1 month low tech no Excel. This thing does carpet, but very slowly. I might have to put them in a more brightly lit area of the tank and resume daily Excel to get them to spread faster
>>
>>2135332
>>2135325
>>2135320
Barkeepers Friend with warm water and some good old fashion elbow grease is your best bet. Kind of DIY has a video up proving how effective and safe it is for fish tanks.
>>
One of shot of the badis. He's come out swimming against the water jet and briefly tried to throw down with the flag and a guppy.
>>
>>2136375
Welcome to the hobby anon.
>>
Rate food
>>
>>2137645
Mine got the shits with me because i didnt feed him one night and ripped the canister intake pipe off
>>
>>2137227
aqua forest hasn't emailed me back which is pretty epic...
>>
>>2137874
Those look like cryptocoryne though can't tell you the species. The smaller ones are probably C. wendtii.
>>
File: MML300-04.jpg (43 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
MML300-04.jpg
43 KB, 350x250
hey guys I'm out of fish food. can I feed my mollies cat food or something?
>>
>>2138013
chop up some cucumber
>>
>>2138017
i thought they need protein
>>
>>2138020
mollies are vegetarians

nigga do literally 2 seconds of research before you go buy your pets
>>
>>2137886
giving your fish advil is not a good idea
>>
File: 1410290447572.jpg (6 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1410290447572.jpg
6 KB, 249x243
>HC keeps coming unrooted
>>
>>2138024

Yeah. I have a small platy grow tank. I put some moneywort in it. If you don't feed twice a day and/or miss a feeding, they strip that wort clean.
>>
Is it normal for Ottos to wig the fuck out over every little thing?
I have one in my 5gal shrimp tank, and he seems to be in a perpetual state of panic.
There's plenty of hiding places for him, but if I move wrong or a shrimp gets close to him, he has a spaz attack all over the tank...
>>
>>2138256
>They're captured from their home where they swim in shoals of thousands, bunged into a bag and flown all the way to your country, where they're placed in a tiny box until someone buys them, then you take it home and place it by itself in a tiny tank.
>>
>>2138256

Otos need friends and a 5 gal isn't really big enough to have a good sized group. Algae crew in a 5 gal should be a nerite and maybe amanos.
>>
Hi, why are my goldfish not eating?
I have decided to sell them because they arn't.
I want a finding nemo tank for my daughters room now.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/fish/small-fish-tank-with-3-goldfish-fish-tank-dimensions-32-x-24-x-20-cm-/1172276822
>>
File: pHosting.jpg (234 KB, 1314x900) Image search: [Google]
pHosting.jpg
234 KB, 1314x900
>Want to scape my tank into a mixed dutch / nature now I've got a proper FE co2 system, something like pic related.
>I can't scape it because I have no where to put the fish, and I don't want to waste the mossy driftwood thats in there at the moment but I have no where to store it and wont be using it for the new scape
>I'd have to buy another tank
>I have 4 tanks already
>>
File: 1423816109353.png (731 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1423816109353.png
731 KB, 499x499
>Tall aquariums

Why the fuck do these exist?

They look like shit, they can't be scaped good and it's not good for the fish.
>>
>>2138305
What are the orange plants at the back and the green plants just in front of them?
>>
>>2138307
>"b-but it takes up less space"
Seems to be the usual excuse
>>
File: buce.jpg (985 KB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
buce.jpg
985 KB, 4160x2340
>>2137401
I got some buces in a trade from an LFS. They're actually a lot more attractive in person IMO.
>>
>>2137703
You'll never be 100% rid of it if you get it. It seems to come back from the dead. It also sticks to your arm and ends up all over your house. Giant duckweed, salvinia, frogbit, or water lettuce is easier to deal with if you can find it.
>>
File: 11457632685_55d4b9026b_o.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
11457632685_55d4b9026b_o.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
>Every aquarium in Takeshi Amanos gallery has a sign saying you can't take photos

Why?
>>
>>2138282
Most of the finding memo themed tanks are too small to really do anything with.
Unless you're talking about buying a clownfish and/or blue tang, in which case, don't.

>>2138338
Some kind of rotala and baby tears, looks like.
>>
Why the fuck can't my phone take a decent picture of my aquarium?

It always comes out blurry and grainy and overexposed.

It takes great photos of LITERALLY everything else.
>>
>>2138374
copyright maybe
>>
>>2138401
You can copyright plants in a box of water?
>>
>>2138402
yes.
>>
>>2138401
No. That's not true at all.
>>
>>2138374
>yo dog we heard you like lights so we put a light on your light
Only 90s kids will get this
>>
>>2138390
Because your focal length isn't right - you are taking a picture of an indeterminate focal point at an indeterminate focal length (through water and glass) and it's not something you can set within the phone I think.
>>
>>2138413
Well thats why i said maybe, but im not talking about copyright of the layouts but to do with licensing out their own photos. But seeing as you know then enlighten us.
>>
I need some help /an
One of my angelfish passed away just now, and I'm trying to figure out why
I was getting ready to do a water change when I saw her. She was laying at the bottom of the tank slowly moving her fins. Then she swam to the top and twirled around a bit with her mouth at the surface. Then she suddenly sank
They're in a community tank, and none of the other fish mess with them. Tank is around 80 degrees or so, and the water is fine. She ate good this morning too
>>
>>2138429
It's probably to not spook the fish with flash photography, but seeing as most people are idiots and don't know how to turn their flash off, it's just easier to ban all photographs.

Further, copyright is reserved for intellectual property. An aquarium layout is hardly intellectual property.
>>
File: king_betta_by_rok_a_bai-d5al46z.png (874 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
king_betta_by_rok_a_bai-d5al46z.png
874 KB, 900x675
Just snagged a 5 gallon Fluval Chi for cheap to put in my college dorm. Is it okay to put a king betta in there? They're a lot bigger than regular betta splendens, so would he need a 10 gallon instead?
>>
>>2138457
they live in puddles just put him in a water bottle
>>
File: 075 - i0YYJ7d.jpg (7 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
075 - i0YYJ7d.jpg
7 KB, 228x221
>tfw nobody wants female bettas
>tfw seeing them sold for ÂŁ2 at lfs but no one wants them still so their tank is cramped and they look ill
>tfw they look just as good as plakat betta males
>they're better than males because you can have multiple

Anyone else have a betta harem tank?
>>
>>2138457
He'll be fine. Their care requirements are the same as regular betta. If you can get a 10 gallon go for it. It's better, but not necessary.
>>
>>2138457
>Glass bowl

Triggered.

I don't get how people still think this is ok.

It's not like bettas are even temperate fish masquerading as tropical fish like Platys and Danios. They're genuine 100% tropical fish that need temperatures at the higher end of the spectrum.
>>
File: Brad1.jpg (22 KB, 487x303) Image search: [Google]
Brad1.jpg
22 KB, 487x303
>Every single youtube video about how to keep discuss starts with "ITS A MYTH THAT DISCUSS ARE HARD TO KEEP ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS A WATER CHANGE EVERY 2 DAYS USE RO WATER MONITOR THE PARAMETERS LIKE A HAWK AND SPRINKLE CRUSHED GOLD INTO THE WATER."

Ah yes "myth".
>>
>>2138495
Not my picture, found it on google images. I keep my bettas in 5 gallon tanks with aqueon heaters preset to 79 degrees. pic related, I have the same tank for my delta tail.
>>
File: triggered.png (522 KB, 632x479) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
522 KB, 632x479
>>2138479
>>
>>2138489
I used to have a betta sorority but the thing about it is that you need at least 5 or 6 of them, otherwise they'll all gang up one one poor mama. RIP Carmenita
>>
File: HI_111020_Threats_image.jpg (164 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
HI_111020_Threats_image.jpg
164 KB, 1000x600
>>2138282
Hi Mark. That tank is WAY too small to put even one goldfish in. Goldfish are like, the messiest fish, so they need huge amounts of space to not die from their own shit poisoning them. They also grow to be absolutely massive. Yours are probably majorly sick, considering you have 3 of them in, what, a 5-gallon? One sole goldfish should be in at least a 10-gallon. Please don't get a tank for your daughter until you are really knowledgeable about fish so you can be a good role model for her. Here's a good web article about goldfish care:

http://www.firsttankguide.net/goldfish.php

Also, bettas do not live in mud puddles. They live in Thai flood plains. Pic related. Does that look like a puddle to you? Please brush up on general aquarium knowledge before asking questions. Random petco employees are often not very knowledgeable. Please do your own research.
>>
>>2138495
I don't need a heater for my betta tank most of the year, but that's because I live in Hawaii.
>>
File: Fish Face (2).jpg (51 KB, 584x387) Image search: [Google]
Fish Face (2).jpg
51 KB, 584x387
He likes peas and broccoli best. He's a little pig. He also eat my plants. Asshole.
>>
File: 20160604_220949.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160604_220949.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Here is my Double Tailed Betta fish Fred. Ive had him for about 3 months. Ive read about tail rot and while I dont think his tail is getting worse or shorter it looks kinda torn and ragged. Is that just the pattern or is he diseased? Also how should I treat it if so.
>>
>>2138638
I agree, it looks a bit jagged. What are your tank specs? I think I see a filter in there, and that white thing is probably a thermometer for your heater, right? So as long as you're reading 76-80 degrees you're all right there. Most fish get fin rot because of dirty water though, so if you think that's what's going on, you might want to upgrade his tank size or just change the water more. If it gets worse you can do an aquarium salt dip.
>>
Can you feed bettas to an Oscar?
>>
>>2138568
California here

>9:30PM
>tank temp is 88f

lowest temp ive seen since summer started was 80 f and that was at like 4am
>>
>>2138712
sheesh, what do you keep.
>>
>>2138716
I have a sorority

I just bought a heater to tamp down on a recent ich outbreak but with temps like these, I may not even need it
>>
>>2138646
Its about 2.5 gallons ive got a filter that I turn off during the night cause its loud and he doesnt seem to like it much. Ive been replacing his water often with the conditoner. Early on the pellets would sink sometimes and I can see some pellets in the gravel. Is that a problem? Ive also petted him but I washed ny hands before. Should I get aquarium salt? Pic related is all my stuff for the tank. On hot days I open the lid and turn on the fan. I have to replace more but it cools about 10 degrees.
>>
File: Mmmmm broccoli.jpg (63 KB, 864x419) Image search: [Google]
Mmmmm broccoli.jpg
63 KB, 864x419
>>2138607
His name is Hitler. I finally got him to hold still by giving him some broccoli.
>>
File: 20160605_010410.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160605_010410.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>2138742
Oops
>>
File: 1024px-Trichogaster_Leeri.jpg (157 KB, 912x525) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Trichogaster_Leeri.jpg
157 KB, 912x525
>>2138712
Jesus christ, I think most of my tank inhabitants would die from such a massive swing in temperature throughout the day and they're tough bastards themselves

Also, I'm thinking of giving my fish away to the LFS or another hobbyist before I move my 40 breeder. 11 kuhlis, 8 rummynose rasboras, 3 honey gouramis, and a crapload of shrimp are way too bothersome to keep alive while I rescape and probably recycle my tank. I could probably keep the RCS and Kuhlis alive in an oxygenated bucket though, the survived before in the Fall/Winter... What should I restock with when I resettle? I'm thinking of giving these guys a chance again, and having a larger school of Lambchop/Espei or Harley Quinn Rasberries. Or maybe a school of Threadfin Rainbows
>>
>>2138536
so cute. Adorable fish is offended.
>>
>>2138702
Yes. Gourami actually make half-decent food fish.

>>2138712
Fellow Californian. I'm pretty amazed my black bee shrimp are holding up as well as they are. Tank temps fluctuate from 78-84.

>>2138747
Tank looks like the 1 gallon Aqueon Minibow. Unplugging the filter at night makes it pretty much useless in general. Put some polyester batting in the outflow of the filter to cut down on noise and flow, or look up DIY filter baffles. Also get the water tested. If you don't want to buy a test kit, PetSmart will do it for you for free if you bring them some water from the tank.
He could be biting his fins due to stress or it could be fin rot from high ammonia, caused from things like rotting food in the tank.
Aquarium salt is largely unnecessary. Better to just not let food rot in your tank and do frequent water changes.
>>
>>Be me
>>@Petco
>>Ask for nine gold comets
>>Marks me for ten and gets me 20
>>Winks
>>neveragain.jpg
>>
>>2138805
he wanted you to save them. He knows damn well the condition they'll be in until someone takes them

At least if you take them, they'll either be living the sweet life or will die quickly from neglect. Eitherway, their suffering will end soon
>>
>>2138766
Pearl gouramis are nice. They are just not as bold as other gouramis, so don't house them with anything that could bully them or nip at them, like most of the species you listed, and you should be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
R8 my tank.
20 gallons fully cycled.
>blushing tetra named Sushi
>golden Groumai named Finley
>2 cherry barbs named Tic and Tac
>loach named Draco
>fiddler crab named Sebastian
>>
I'll finally be getting my own place soon and moving out of shared accommodation as I've got a new job.

Do you think it's worth asking the Landlord if I can put in a pond?

I'd be looking to get buy a house in 5 years so I'd be possibly be renting there for 5 years.
>>
File: 20160605_094058.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160605_094058.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
HC at the back is still suffering while the HC at the front is flourishing.

It's stopped melting since flooding but it's not spreading and it's new growth has stunted small leaves.

I'm injecting co2 and dosing ferts

Any idea what it could be?
>>
>>2138837
naw wait until you get a house

in the meantime, get a big tank and a bunch of babies for your future pond. That way you'll know what size to make your pond once everything is adult sized
>>
>>2138842
sounds like you have uneven lighting dude.
>>
File: cuba2bc546.jpg (3 MB, 5472x3080) Image search: [Google]
cuba2bc546.jpg
3 MB, 5472x3080
What are the prickly rosette style plants in front of the rocks?
>>
File: fishtbh.jpg (413 KB, 1701x1145) Image search: [Google]
fishtbh.jpg
413 KB, 1701x1145
>Have a female betta in a community tank
>Does everything a male betta does except flip it's shit at everything in the tank

Dunno why they're so unpopular.
>>
Rate my tank?
Only just stared the whole fish keeping thing, any beginners tips for me?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>2138878
Forgot the pic...
>>
>>2138869
girls are temperamental though. Emphasis on the mental

>all peaceful in sorority tank

>feed them
>flaring everywhere

>one fish darts quickly past another
>torn fins all over the tank

>try to add a new girl to sorority
>have to remove ALL fish from the tank and reintroduce them to the tank 1 at a time, from least aggressive to most aggressive in 30-minute intervals or they'll all gangup on and kill the newcomer

I suppose these arent problems if you only get one female but if you only get one anyway, you may as well get a flashier looking male
>>
File: Downoi.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Downoi.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>2138861
Downoi
http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/pogostemon-helferi
>>
>Go to 2 lfs
>No hob filters

wtf
>>
>>2138879
0/10 because of the fucking pineapple.
>>
>>2138834
rates and tips please anons.
im new to this.
>>
>>2139013
what did you even do? That looks like all the cheapest plastic shit at walmart with nothing growing in the tank besides the algae on those stones. There are all of TWO fish visible despite all the names you listed. What is there to rate?

>10/10 cleanliness
>excellent blending of black and blue gravels friendo! Nice plastic stump!

learn to aquascape
>>
>>2138837
Make a pond like pic and just load it up in a flatbed when you go to move.
>>
>>2138869
Because Americans are only concerned with looks and think that mile-long ruffled fins that blow apart when you sneeze at them look good.

>>2138890
This is why sororities a shit.
Females are unpredictable, but they're generally less aggressive than males toward unrelated fish.
>>
>>2139013
>>2138834
>blushing tetra named Sushi
Needs to be in a group of 5 or more
>golden Groumai named Finley
Will outgrow the tank, and might end up being too aggressive to be with the other fish. Thick lip, dwarf, or honey gourami would be better, or some kind of small (<3") cichlid.
>2 cherry barbs named Tic and Tac
They *should* be in a group of 5+, but they tend to handle smaller numbers better than most. If you do get more, try to keep a 1:2 male:female ratio.
>loach named Draco
Needs to be in a group of 5 or more
>fiddler crab named Sebastian
Needs somewhere to come out of the water, needs brackish water, will probably try to eat your fish. Not suitable for fish tank mates in general.

Also your water level is way too low.

Give back the crab, the gourami, and one type of schooling fish, then build your other schools, and get some other kind of centerpiece.
>>
File: 2015_biotope_aquarium_e_19_1.jpg (250 KB, 1300x642) Image search: [Google]
2015_biotope_aquarium_e_19_1.jpg
250 KB, 1300x642
>>2138814
Pearls can also be murderous assholes too, I've learned from firsthand experience

I might try doing a similar setup to this biotope. Just Kuhlis and a small group of Pearls, I'll probably have to get the gouramis at a younger age and all at once so they can establish a pecking order and get long OK
>>
Anyone know anything about LED voltages?

I've got an LED unit which I made myself with an LED driver that is rated at 18-35V.

It's a bit too bright so I want to dim it. The only dimmers I can find are 12-14V.

Would this be ok or would it burn out the dimmer?
>>
>>2139141
*12-24v
>>
>>2139141
The dimmer would get fugged.

http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Goods-Controller-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B00QBFI7US?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

The module in the link will be able to safely dim the LEDs, even though it says motor controller.
>>
>>2139148
So there's nothing special about an LED dimmer? It's just a DC variable resistor?

I'll see if I can find one of these motor controllers on my country's ebay.

I don't think you can get actual LED dimmers that go as high as 35v for whatever read.
>>
>>2139151
Both LED dimmers and PWM modules are the same exact thing, the higher-voltage ones are generally sold as motor dimmers since the vast majority of LED arrays run at 12V.
>>
Can fish become traumatised?

I stupidly bought 2 indian gouramis and put them both in the tank. They proceeded to fight each other for several weeks, the smaller one losing every time. I was able to get rid of the big one recently. But the small one is still incredibly skittish.
>>
>>2139159
>Can fish become traumatised?
Yes.
fish can learn behavior via conditioning.
>>
File: 1464487637086.gif (680 KB, 303x280) Image search: [Google]
1464487637086.gif
680 KB, 303x280
YOU FAGGOTS ALL READY FOR THE MASSIVE INFLUX OF RETARDS AT YOUR LFS DUE TO FINDING NEMO 2?
>>
>>2139200
Interested to see how they gone sell blue tangs to kids, I mean its no clown in terms of hardiness, can be aggressive and needs a big-ish tank.
>>
>>2139200
>At LFS today
>"omg it's nemo"

I will kill your child
>>
Has anyone ever ordered Killifish eggs?

Apparently they're like brine shrimp in the way that they can be freeze dried and they last for years in a suspended state.
>>
>>2138834
Fucking garbage.
>that random mishmash of schooling fish
>Gold Gourami in a 20 gallon
>A fiddler crabs
>A FIDDLER CRAB
>tacky gravel
>that water level
Please do your research on fish you buy, they're not decorations, please don't be one of those
>well they're not dead in the display tank so they'll be fine in mine!
Retards and just buy whatever looks cool and then throw it all in one tank with no regard to anything. Would you buy a bunch of different rodents or herps and throw them all in one tank and expect them to be fine? Fuck no.
>>
>>2139208
Anon pls stop you are triggering me. I used to work at a LFS and I'd hear that every fucking day followed by the little shits pounding the shit out of the glass.
>>
File: 1364864133857.gif (935 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1364864133857.gif
935 KB, 245x245
>>2138842
>Fiddler crab in freshwater

How is it not dead?
>>
>>2139200
>DO YOU SELL OCTOPUS?
>CAN IT FIT IT IN THIS 5G?
>>
File: sweat.jpg (90 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
sweat.jpg
90 KB, 853x480
How do I vacuum the algae off the bottom of my planted without sucking up the baby shrimp I can't see? Should I just flip the substrate around instead?
>>
>>2138842
Lighting might be uneven and, as someone mentioned before, when you dry-started, only the front HC was getting enough water. The stuff in the back is higher up and wasn't as wet, so that could have contributed to it.
>>
>>2135014
holy shit dude those are just mating behaviours
>>
>>2139200
I think Petco was attempting to be proactive about this and was offering blue/yellow bettas on sale as part of a Finding Nemo promotion. They looked just similar enough to Dory to fool a small child.
>>
>>2139210
When you order killifish eggs they shouldn't be freeze dried. In the wild they live in seasonal ponds, so their eggs have to survive the dry season when the water evaporates. So the eggs you buy are mostly dry and ready to survive shipping and a few months of dryness until you simulate the wet season, but freeze-drying would probably kill them.
>>
>>2139264
I saw this ad and took advantage but BEWARE. I bought sixteen bettas for a 55gal and now I'm down to one. wtf happened
>>
>>2139267
>Being a pedant like this.
You know what he meant.
>>
Tips for getting rid of unwanted livestock? I think I'm gonna go on a hiatus from the hobby. Not enough time to do proper tank upkeep, plus I intend to move soon so the whole setup needs to be broken down and bagged up anywyay. Eventually I hope to start anew with a larger tank (only have a 20 gallon now), but only after I find some stability.
>>
>>2139258
Get algae eaters
>>
File: plant.jpg (1 MB, 2660x1660) Image search: [Google]
plant.jpg
1 MB, 2660x1660
>>2139302
I have a 8" in a turtle tank but I want to keep the shrimp fry and eggs safe.

I'd also like to add fish but idk what will leave the shrimp eggs alone. It's a 55gal and I'd like to add something big like oscars but I really want to protect the shrimp and let them propagate.
>>
>>2139311
Tetras maybe
>>
>>2139284
If they were all male they probably fuckin killed each other, even with females it happens. Bettas are savage
>>
File: sal.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1992) Image search: [Google]
sal.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1992
>>2139312
I have schools of fish in my turtle tank, I have no problem moving (protecting) them as long as they don't mess with the shrimp. I have several corys, a school of zebra danio, and a school of balas.

Also, I need a 3-4ft piece of drift wood to bring things together, does anyone have a cheap source or know where in the US to pick up wood safely? I will be going out west and live near a river currently. I just want to make it safe and boiling it in the bath tub doesn't sound like I'll actually get boiling water, just really hot.
>>
File: 2335322-right-1.jpg (164 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
2335322-right-1.jpg
164 KB, 1500x1500
Does anyone here have a Fluval 5 gallon tank like the Chi or the Spec? I'm interested in bettas but I've heard the filter is too strong. Ideas to dampen it? Is it necessary?
>>
Will rcs eat bloodworms or copepods?

Also are my rcs getting a good diet? I just feed them hikari algae pellets but they have a cuttlebone in there and watersprite and marimo to pick through as well
>>2139258
I just shine a light in the bucket and put the babbies back in the tank
>>
>>2139300
bring them to a LFS
>>
>>2139376
My RCS gorge themselves on frozen bloodworms as long as their body. I've heard from others to feed protein sparingly for them. They don't do shit about copepods in your tank, and I'm not sure they would hunt live bloodworms either

I feed my RCS a variety of stuff, NLS community pellets, and Hikari Crab Cuisine, Algae Wafers and Shrimp Pellets. I should also get them zucchini again, I bet they and the rset of the fish in the tank miss having a freshly blanched slice to much on
>>
>>2139321
>People trying to source fucking wood.
Dude, if you need to boil a piece of wood, get a metal garbage can and start a fire underneath. Shit ain't that tough.
>>
>>2138124
>go to buy hairgrass
>"nah mang, buy some Monte Carlo, it's easier to grow"
>buy Monte Carlo
>turns out tons of people have issues with HC uprooting itself for fun
Ech, I hope mine stays put.

>>2138307
I had one once
>break your shoulder every time you want to reach down to the substrate
Ah yes, quality design.

>>2139096
Get a flying fox, basically a rainbow shark that'll eat algae and fits well with that biotope.
>>
>>2139415
>source: someone who doesn't rent
I can't just go starting fires
>>
>>2139428
Go do it in an abandoned lot. C'mon son. Use your head.
>>
>>2139432

>starting a fire on property that isn't yours
Where do you live?
>>
>>2139434
The Greatest Country in the World®.

Nobody is going to do anything as long as you don't burn shit down.
>>
>>2139439
I have an acre of land but I don't want to burn a big hole, also, it would cost about $20 for a metal trash can. I could put that money towards something else.
>>
So I had this 20gal tank as a kid and made a little frog and minnow habitat. I think the minnows ate all the frogs.
>>
>>2139446
Get one of these then: http://amzn.com/B004070QDA

Then you can have awesome crawfish boils come next spring. You'll even be able to catch the tail end of this season.

I'd call that a good investment.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 106

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.