[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66
File: Carpet_Hogthon.jpg (245 KB, 1280x826) Image search: [Google]
Carpet_Hogthon.jpg
245 KB, 1280x826
old thread >>2125410

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
File: hey.jpg (84 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
hey.jpg
84 KB, 500x667
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1331) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1331
>tfw want to buy from and visit local reptile conventions but they are both ran by the same couple accused of multiple accounts of animal abuse
>>
>>2134385
Hi /herp/, can you tell me about lizards that can be kept on earthworms and stay smaller than a bearded dragon?
>>
>>2134394
earthworms? shit you'd probably be restricted to some kind of mole lizard or legless lizard
>>
>>2134394
if you can expand that criteria out a little bit to include some other easy to keep feeders there are several. But just earthworms? nah.

What kinda species are you generally interested in?
>>
>>2134392

There was a guy in a small town near my city that ran a small reptile and amphibian zoo sort of thing. He started out well as i understand it but slowly let it go to shit over the years. Eventually animal control had to shut him down because the conditions had become inhumane. ;-;
>>
Anywhere online that I could order a regular basking light with both the uva/uvb rays in one bulb and have it be around 50 watts? I have the lamp but not the bulb, and it says 75 watt max. Its also a northern alligator lizard, so ot doesn't need a strong heat just something to bask in for a few hours if he wants.

I haven't had to really look into which bulbs produce what for some years.
>>
>>2134446

if you're talking about a mercury vapor basking bulb, they don't make those for that purpose at 50W. You can get a compact UVB bulb that runs low wattage but it won't heat your tank. You need a proper heat source in addition to it.
>>
>>2134385
>do not fuck with your herp for at least 7 days

Worst advice ever. Who makes this stupid care sheet? I always wait a few weeks to handle. Nothing is worse than stressing out a new animal.
>>
>>2134394
A shitty anole.
>>
>>2134459
Alright, is uvb enough for a herp? Do they need both or could I take him out into the sunshine for a while?
>>
File: miss_daisy.jpg (172 KB, 353x1000) Image search: [Google]
miss_daisy.jpg
172 KB, 353x1000
>>2134385
Working on a new Ms Daisy comic strip.

It's super rough but it reads well? Idea is ok?

The sing so proudly when I put them in there with her sometimes. I wonder what it's like to be a cricket dumped into her tank.
>>
there was huge as fuck bluebelly climbing my house like an hour ago.

Would have caught him if bluebelly's werent so boring
>>
Hey guys, I think my leopard gecko might have anemia. He's looking a bit paler than normal and his tongue is a lighter pink as opposed to the usual bright red. I'll take him to the vet if necessary, but is there anything I can do right now, while it's (I think) not super serious yet? I've started adding spinach to my cricket tank (which I guess I should've been doing a while ago), anything else I can do?
>>
>>2134461

:O

how dare you question the officially official care sheet of wonder and magic!
>>
>>2134475

...no. You need to set up a heat gradient in the tank pursuant to the care requirements of your critter. Look up care sheets for northern alligator lizard. It will say what temp for warm spot, what temp for cool side, whether or not UV required.
>>
>>2134486

Ha!

>>2134542

How long have you had this gecko? When did you notice the change? Has he lost weight recently? I'm assuming you know the difference between pale appearance due to upcoming shed and unusual pale appearance. Better take him in to the vet as soon as possible.

Spinach isn't very good for gutload purposes. It binds calcium.
>>
>/herp/

Why you do this
>>
>>2134587
I have been and they prefer and can function in cooler climate, from about 65-75, rarely 80. I've also been watching him really closely to see what he does outside and he seems to only like basking in the direct sun for about an hour or two before moving to the shade or prowling around for food.

Either way I have his new cage/tank set up so that he can climb up to a legde that's going to be close to the heat bulb (not too close obviously) , and the bottom is shaded and with water and a side with moist dirt and a water dish, so he's got options for picking his warmth.

Right now I'm more concerned with what bulb to get to make sure he's getting the right rays.
>>
File: IMG_0178.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0178.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2304
I haz pink and green geico
>>
>>2134593
I've had him for about 2 years. He shed last week, and it doesn't look the same as when the skin is starting to separate. He hasn't lost much weight, but he's never been super plump. I didn't really pay attention to the paleness of his skin until I saw his tongue today, which is definitely way paler than normal.
>>
>>2134602

Nice!
>>
>>2134602
Zombie gecko, much scary.

Would pet though.
>>
>>2134593
I'll take a "Ha!". Best I could hope for a short comic strip.

Nobody else have any opinions? You guys never thought of this scenario playing out everytime you feed your little buddies?

The mass murdering of crickets. I was going to make the same comic but with jews crickets. Like, a full 2-3 page totally serious comic of a bunch of crickets going to concentration camps and hard labor and rape and just way too fucking dark with the final panel being just a photo of ms daisy eating a couple crickets.

I just don't know if that would be funny to anyone else other than me.
>>
>>2134636

I stopped using crickets as feeders late last year. At first i didn't mind the endless chirping. Then it got a little annoying. Last straw was two particularly hoppy male crickets make a break for it up my arm as i was letting a few in to a tank. Later that night... *chirp* *chirp*

two minutes of silence...

chirp chirp chirp

All night long. I set out sticky traps to try to catch them. No luck. It took TWO WEEKS for me to finally catch them. Sometimes they were in the walls. Sometimes it sounded like they were in the ventilation system for maximum echo on the chirps. After that i never wanted to see another cricket again. It was a while in coming though and not just from that incident. None of my geckos were particularly thrilled about crickets to begin with. Put crickets in, gecko curiously licks cricket, leaves it alone, no interest in eating it. Fine.
>>
>>2134642
I just throw them in the freezer for an hour to kill them, then pour them into a little container that I leave in the fridge.

But I buy the petshop crickets.
>>
>>2134594
because we aren't going to use /herpetology/?
>>
>>2134642
hahaha god I hate when that happens.

I just had 2 crickets make a break for it the other day. My cat caught one and the other is now living somewhere inside the bathroom walls just chirpin away. Taking a shower and hes like RIGHT THERE in the wall chirpin like a mad man.

loose crickets don't last long in my house because of my 2 cats. They hunt crickets like champs when they get loose.
>>
>>2134657
It's always been Reptile and Amphibian General.
>>
>>2134642

>fed crickets to my beardie
>beardie has naturalistic enclosure
>lazy beardie doesn't feel like chasing the last couple crickets
> I don't care
> later on go to bed
> right after lights go out the chirping starts
>chirping never stops
>chirping grows louder
>beardie is fast asleep of course
>I turn on all the lights
>start digging thru the beardies dirt
>find one cricket
>smash it with a rock
>can't hear other cricket so I turn the lights back off and wait
> 30 min later he reveals himself with of course more chirping
>I kill the cricket with so much force and anger
>finally get to sleep
> vow to never feed crickets again

I now have two roach colonies, no longer have a bearded dragon, and avoid crickets like the plague.
>>
>>2134667
it still is
>>
File: cfsFgiv.jpg (830 KB, 3187x1793) Image search: [Google]
cfsFgiv.jpg
830 KB, 3187x1793
I got a toad, specifically its a california toad (Anaxyrus boreas halophilus)
its name is Hoagie
>>
>>2134680
Cool! Is he/she pretty active? I don't know much about toads in captive conditions.
>>
>>2134672
Ms Daisy would never ever in her LIFE let a cricket live. She will hunt down every last one of them and murder the fuck out of every cricket.

Seriously I have never seen any animal in my entire life enjoy eating as much as this beardie. She looses her shit at any sign of food. The other day I gave her some romaine lettuce on a big paper plate and she just fucking jleaped into the big pile of food and like a god damn shovel scooped up way too much and was waving her head around like a mad man as she chomped down on her greens. If she could talk she would have been screaming "THIS IS WHY I LIVEEEEE"

She literally just finished off 8 crickets before that too. Little girl loves her foods.
>>
>>2134685
well I only just caught it last night, so it was pretty active then. Testing the boundaries and what not as most newly introduced herps do
Tonight so far he's slowed down a lot, he dug himself a little hole that you can see there and has proceeded to sit it for the last hour or so.

He's still fairly small too so I'm hoping I get to watch him grow into their full adult size
some of these toads around here pretty big
>>
>>2134690
I'm almost certain that's 100% illegal
>>
>>2134692
you can take them with a fishing license.

http://www.californiaherps.com/info/herpinglaws.html
>>
>>2134692
It's a fucking toad.

Christ. Millions of kids would be in trouble if anyone actually cared about toads.

Well, kids before the internet was invented at least.
>>
>>2134698
Kids are probably fine. I don't think you need to buy a fishing license in CA until you're 16?

I know in CO kids are allowed to catch any bait animal they want. Not sure if they need an adult with a license present, but as I recall they don't.
>>
>>2134594
it makes it easier to find in the catalog and I appreciate it

The last 2 threads whoever made new thread didnt use it
>>
>>2134594
Generals always do that dude. Have you ever been to /vg/?
>>
>>2134417
The problem is I can't keep anything that needs "jumpy" food like crickets or locusts because my roommates are to scared that they'll escape and unless I find a good source for pre-killed stuff I can't really go for anything but worms
>>
File: Towel chan.jpg (349 KB, 1008x1680) Image search: [Google]
Towel chan.jpg
349 KB, 1008x1680
>>
Where can get hides, wood, leaves, etc without paying $20 a piece or $6 a pound for wood. Local pet stores are crazy, $13 for a 4 inch piece of hollowed cork for snakes
>>
>>2134968
outside

Reptiles show generally have some discount supplies to
>>
>>2134973
outside = bacteria and sickness or dangerous materials? I'm fairly new to this and many people have strongly gone against it for one reason or another, so idk. Thanks for the info
>>
>>2134828
Get a Gargoyle gecko
>>
>>2134974
You can use outside materials as long as you disinfect them.

You can bake the wood or boil it,same with leaf litter.It will kill all the bad things living on it.
>>
>>2134968

Garden centre type stores have lots of stuff. Bamboo stakes are great, cut to desired size and ziptie together. Plastic plant saucers make great hides. Pvc pipe pieces.

Arts and crafts stores usually have cheap fake plants. For water dishes, pet shops have what you need cheap but not in the reptile aisle; head on over to dog and cat section where there are lots of sturdy bowls of various sizes.

For outside wood, google a list of reptile safe woods, generally that includes hard wood that doesn't leak sap (no pine etc). Boil if small, bake if large.
>>
https://youtu.be/hH14IoCdhs0
>>
>>2135024
>shhh no tears now, only dreams
>>
https://youtu.be/tTTbxgV50Sc

adorable
>>
>>2135129

Love the way it slides off the table all smooth like.
>>
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.anapsid.org/liteheat.html
>>
>>2135143

Mostly accurate although outdated in spots.

re; flexwatt, at the time the article was written that was probably true. However, flexwatt sold specifically for reptile use currently does have better construction for safety and wiring is usually not required (thermostat absolutely required though).

re; night bulbs for nocturnal species. There isn't any comprehensive study on this but generally speaking it has been observed that nocturnal species actually do see a portion of light put out by the red infrared bulbs and may or may not be bothered by it. It's better to use non-light emitting heat sources for night heat, such as UTH, CHE, radiant heat panels, etc.
>>
>>2135033
I read this post first, then watched the video. Good laugh anon, good job.
>>
>>2135159
Alright good to know.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of long wood box or table flipped upside down and covering it in mesh to make for an outdoor enclosure for a couple hours out of the day. I've got a couple spots that look like they have consistent shade throughout the day.
>>
>>2134974
If you get outside materials from places that no pesticides whatsoever are used you don't need to bake or boil.
>>
>>2135198
You kind of do if you have an exotic pet, or one that's been in captivity for a while, because they don't have immune systems equipped to deal with that environment that you got the stuff from.
>>
Everyone says to use aspen, there's the "#1 chosen brand for snakes" for like $14 on Amazon, but what about "alphapet aspen" the Walmart brand for $3 is it comparable?
>>
>>2135259

the walmart type might be really dusty. you could probably use it if you brought it outside and sifted it first. put it in the freezer just in case there are mites and fly eggs on it.
>>
>>2135268

I should say, however, that aspen is aspen unless it has been specially treated with something extra (the package will say). I would feel more comfortable doing the not very secret secret snek keeper's aspen cost savings technique: Forget the reptile aisle. Go to small animal/rodent aisle, boom huge bag of aspen for like 50% sticker price of the reptile stuff.
>>
>>2134486
Cricket on the ground doesn't read right. Maybe if you had a a pink tongue approaching it's body from off panel in the first panel. Do away with the red blood and replace with a brown ichor if need be. We're all to familiar with cricket pieces to need fictional red blood as explanation. I would also have the cricket standing facing Daisy at the end, arms limp to its side while holding his instrument. Like it knows what's coming and gives a sigh. Also, flip the last panel so Daisy come sin from the left, implying he was watching what happened the whole time.
>>
>>2135278
Alright thanks for the info
Anyone try coconut husk?
>>
>>2135311

Yeah i use coco husk in combination with sphagnum moss in my crested and gargoyle tanks. It has big chunks and stringy stuff. I like it because it makes air holes around the moss and keeps it from compressing at the bottom of the tank.
>>
>>2135268
Mites? From Wal-Mart? You do realize mites do not come in the shipments, they move off the animals in the shop onto the bedding right? Unless Wal-Mart is now selling reptiles and I didn't hear about it, chances are anon isn't going to see a single mite from their aspen.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey lads

Does this look like a nice moist hide for my leopard gecko to shed in and lay her eggs? She's pregnant I'm pretty sure and want to make sure she has everything she needs. It's full of moist vermiculite. She also won't eat a lot is that normal? Her dish is full of worms and she has a cap full of powder and water all the time

Also inb4
>sand

Yes I know it's not optimal I've had her for 5 years and it's never been a problem
>>
>>2135311
only use coco husk if you need constant mid to high humidity
when this shit dries out its pretty much turns into dust and will get EVERYWHERE
>>
>>2135506
>Sand
>>
File: iGOtu86.jpg (68 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
iGOtu86.jpg
68 KB, 720x960
>>2134978
Oh wow, I totally forgot about them.
They are the cutest thing ever, thanks for reminding me, anon.
Can they be fed crestie diet too?
>>
Does anyone here have a frilled lizard? I saw a baby frilled in the local reptile store while I was picking stuff up.

I'm a casual keeper with just one lil crestie but I'm curious about people's experiences with them because I thought it was a really gorgeous animal and have been looking into getting into more intermediate lizards.
>>
>>2135636
As long as you can provide the space they are pretty easy to keep.
Don't stress them too much and try taking baby steps with handling; they can get pretty comfy around you, but as I said "baby steps". They are kind of like an arboreal bearded dragon but skittish like a chinese water dragon.
Food wise not too much fatty stuff like meal worms or mice (they are good little treats though) but rather locusts and dubias. You can try giving them some greens too; don't expect them to be that interested though (this might work better if you start them young). The part that worries most is that they may refuse to eat their staple food sometimes, but they are picky eaters and get very used to hand feeding up to the point where they refuse to hunt completely; so keep that in mind before panicking.
I'd say they are great for intermediates and could even be kept by an eager beginner who takes the time to really read into them (but that's the case with most lizards that don't get to iguana size levels)
>>
>>2135600

Yes their diet is the same.
>>
File: fuck.png (44 KB, 721x679) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
44 KB, 721x679
>tfw you leave for work in an hour and your snek hasnt had an update in the last 6 hours

I dont like this
>>
>>2135600
That gecko looks pretty fat
>>
>>2135506
Hahahahahah whew lad!
>be me
>think that
>buddy dies

AHAHAHAHAHA seriously though. He will die. Not to mention the bacteria that is breeding in all that shit.
>>
So the past few days my snake had milky eyes and was being sluggish, I though he had aldready shed so I was getting worried but I came home today and he had shed and hes back to normal
However I noticed she had a cut on his back and noticed 3/4 red and black mites.
What is the best way to get rid of these and would I need to bring him to the vet?
Also its his normal feeding day tomorrow, will there be any problem if I feed it the day after shedding ?
>>
File: IMG_20160601_171136~2.jpg (315 KB, 1231x1700) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_171136~2.jpg
315 KB, 1231x1700
>>2135826
Don't know how well it can be seen
>>
>>2135826
Also its a fairly big tank hes in
>>
>>2135776
No worries. The next update will be when it arrives in your city. My overnight shipments have typically come between 10:30am and 3pm.
>>
>>2135776
what is your snek?
>>
>>2135826
>>2135833
well first remove whatever caused him to be injured, you dont want that to happen again
second if he's got mites you're going to have to take everything out anyway. sterilize all of it, remove his bedding and replace it with paper towels
go buy some Provent-a-Mite so you can treat the tank with it, also get some reptile spray so you can treat your snake also.
>>
>>2135826

Mite treatment is kind of a long topic. You may wish to visit a vet to correctly identify what exactly is going on with your snake and receive detailed instructions on treatment.

Here is a good article about snake mites and the ways you can approach it. If you're not experienced with snake mites a vet trip will save some trouble and trial and error. But anyway,

http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html
>>
File: CAM00177.jpg (543 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00177.jpg
543 KB, 1536x2048
>1/7

Finally got some pics of the setup for the alligator lizard. It's a little crowded right now, but he's so little that I thought he would feel safer with lots of stuff to hide under.

I washed everything thoroughly before putting it in and I found a timer for the light to simulate morning and night cycles. Right now it's set to come on at 5 am, then shut off at 7 (one of the pins on the seven spot is broke so I had to make it just shut off at seven instead of turning back on at 8). One the light shuts off the room/outside light is just kind of dim in the cage, so at about 9 or ten I'll cover the cage with cloth to make it completely blacked out. Next step is finding a thermostat and building an outside enclosure so je can get fresh air and sun.
>>
>>2135776
my snake just left memphis an hour ago at 2:30

This is some shit i hope it was in a room with ac at the least fucking "priority overnight" my ass
>>2135888
A jungle carpet from nick mutton at inland reptiles
>>
File: CAM00178.jpg (525 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00178.jpg
525 KB, 1536x2048
>>2135975
>2/7
I'm thinking of getting some small aloe vera plants for the upper shelf, and a hanging spider plant for the middle once he's a bit bigger and I need to remove some stuff to give him more space.
>>
File: CAM00179.jpg (363 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00179.jpg
363 KB, 2048x1536
>>2135977
3/7
>>
File: CAM00180.jpg (360 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00180.jpg
360 KB, 2048x1536
>>2135979
4/7
>>
File: CAM00181.jpg (505 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00181.jpg
505 KB, 2048x1536
>>2135981
>>
>>2135976
that looks fantastic, amazing
>>
File: CAM00182.jpg (534 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00182.jpg
534 KB, 1536x2048
>>2135982
>6/7
>>
File: CAM00183.jpg (333 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00183.jpg
333 KB, 1536x2048
>>2135986
>7/7
>>
>>2135976

Are you the fellow who had the bad experience with BHB sending you the wrong species? You have the worst luck, if so. Bummer.
>>
>>2135986

I love that frog thing you've got there.
>>
>>2136017
I do too, though I hope he doesn't think it's a real frog! But it will be funny to see him sitting in there.

I'm going to put him in, in about another weak. I want him to be just a tad bigger, and just a little more used to hand feeding. He's finally getting comfortable enough to poke his head out from under his rock, snag the spider/cricket, and then dart back under.

He was really chill when I first brought him in, and he still is pretty chill, but he doesn't seem to like my hands hovering over. He does calm down when I put my hand flat down on the ground though, and occasionally he'll try to climb up my arm and see the world.
>>
>>2136022
>I do too, though I hope he doesn't think it's a real frog!

kek! But nah, no fear of that. Doesn't move, isn't warm, doesn't smell = lizard does not care about it.
>>
>>2136034
I can't wait to see him exploring it all, I'll be sure to get some pics, as clear as I can.

The outside enclosures going to be fun to make too. I'm thinking some of that grass carpet so it's a bit light, easy to move if I need to.
>>
I live in the cold north of england and I was just wondering what heat levels a crested gecko needs. Is keeping the humidity levels up more important?

Being aboreal, does a heatmat on a thermostat under the substrate work well?
>>
>>2136066
a heatmat will help with the humidity by evaporating the water from the substrate but it wont do much for actual temperature
>>
File: KZPoYsi.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
KZPoYsi.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
can anyone identify this guy? corn snake but what morph?
>>
>>2136134
Probably a lavender albino kingsnake, def not a corn though
>>
>>2136140
I was just about to say, that head doesn't look like a corn
>>
Thoughts on Mercury Vapor Bulbs?

I'm using a 125 watt bulb in my 20 gallon terrarium.

He's a baby

I'm also using an LED bulb just to provide lights on the cooler side of the tank, should I keep using the MVP?
>>
>>2136013
Yes I sure as shit am.
>>
>>2135643

Thanks! I've looked into a couple of care sheets and watched some of the videos out there about them. I think I'm most concerned with keeping their humidity needs up. How do you do it? I understand they don't really drink out of water bowls.

I'm thinking maybe in the next 5-6 years I might decide to go for it if I think I am ready for a pet that needs more attention than my gecko, who is practically a houseplant with how little he requires.
>>
>>2135776
That happened to me when my rainbows arrived. The Fedex system completely failed and I totally unexpectedly got a knock at like 12:30 pm and when I checked the tracker it still said it was in Atlanta or something like that.

If it's in transit, there won't be any more updates until you receive the package.

On the thought of shipping my female ghost boa constrictor is finally on her way! She was shipped this afternoon, after I had to wait an extra week due to some schedule miscommunication.

I was supposed to also be getting a male anery motley male but Texas is being flooded with rain again so I won't get him until next Tuesday.

Here's a pic of the hypo rainbow I received in the last shipment in the meantime.
>>
File: IMG_1357.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1357.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>2136202
Clicked the wrong button, whoops.
>>
>>2136204
DAAMN that's a beautiful snake.
>>
File: YuYhlvD.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
YuYhlvD.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>2136140
>>2136145
>>
File: Y3c90aI.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2588) Image search: [Google]
Y3c90aI.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2588
>>
>>2136204
Join the snake general anon, i wanna see more of your snek.
>>
File: tkX4JlR.jpg (3 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
tkX4JlR.jpg
3 MB, 2988x5312
>>2136145
sure?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160601-185824.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160601-185824.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
Baby DRMB
>>
>>2136202
I called fed ex once i got off work
Its gonna be at my doorstep tomorrow they estimated it has just entered louisiana and hasnt reached a facility yet
Well snakes are hardy so it will hopefully be ok
>>
File: Corn snake striped.jpg (169 KB, 476x276) Image search: [Google]
Corn snake striped.jpg
169 KB, 476x276
>>2136239
Even a more slender one has a bit of a triangular shape to their head.
>>
>>2136239
>>2136258
Yup, here's an adult lavender albino:

http://southerncaliforniakingsnakes.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/8/1/7881947/2989281_orig.jpg

Taken from this site:

http://southerncaliforniakingsnakes.weebly.com/genes--morphs.html
>>
>>2136046

Crested geckos you want to keep between 21-25C. So normal room temperature is usually right on their sweet spot anyway. Heat source not needed unless your room temps are below that.
>>
>>2136157

They're expensive but they work. Just follow the instructions on the packaging for expiration time. They typically put out UVB for 10-12 months before replacement is required.
>>
>>2136270
It's a baby alligator lizard, think you may have replied to the wrong post lol

On that note though, my fiancé wanted a gecko, but they seem really fragile. Is there any hardier one's that don't need a certain humidly at all times? Or could do with a day or two of not care, just food and water and a timed heat bulb?

I was trying to tame this guy for him because they are so hardy and comparatively don't need too much care once they are set up, but if he wants a gecko I can't really stop him, all I can do is inform him of somewhat low maintenance ones.
>>
>>2136273

Yep, wrong post.

>>2136270

Is in response to,

>>2136066
>>
File: IMG_1254.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1254.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
>>2136207
Thank you, I didn't put much stock into hypo BRBs but selective breeding is really making them shine.

>>2136238
I'm here all the time, I just rarely post my snakes because it's hard to keep up with what I've already posted.

Here, have the Picasso stripe male that came with that hypo.

>>2136242
Yeah should be fine, I've heard some horror stories. A day or two shouldn't cause any problems.
>>
>>2136190
A water bowl should be fine, just spray down the tank every morning so they can lick up some "dew". Most reptiles from arid environments like to get their water by sipping morning dew or through their food. If you get them to eat greens you can put a bit of water on them so they have another water source. If you want to be absolutely sure you did everything possible concerning their water requirements, install a dripper.
>>
>>2136273
Look into leopard geckos. They are hardy, docile and even feel a lot "chunkier" than most geckos.
>>
File: 20160602_112824.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160602_112824.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
JoJo has had a bit of a gammy foot since I got him a few weeks ago.
He's eating like a lunatic and I'm bathing the foot once a day, so is it just a case of time and calcium for proper growth to occur?

Guy in the reptile store claimed it's nothing to be concerned about, but I worry for the little guy.
>>
File: IMG_1550.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1550.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
Well the ghost female is here. She's a big girl, only a year old and the breeder already has her on small rats. Roughly 3' in length. I'm thinking weaned rats would be better, but I'll see how she does on them first before I decide to take her off smalls.

Since she's on the bigger side of average (maybe a tad over, she could even be 3.5' but I'm thinking closer to 3'), she'll be fed every 2-3 weeks. 2 weeks is normal for a yearling, but since she's so large I may go out to 3 weeks.
>>
File: 20160602_111821.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160602_111821.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
Snake arrived fine, kinda pissy the fed ex guy left it at my doorstep and didn't even knock he was out there for about 30 minutes before I checked the tracking.

Hes pretty though
>>
>>2136763
nice lil guy, mind me asking, how much did you pay for him?
>>
>>2136790
$250+$50 for shipping

He was pretty chill to didnt strike at me or anything
>>
>>2134828
Axolotl
>>
>>2136564
Thank you very much, I'll let him know about them.
>>
>>2136802
axolotls are cool, but sadly not a lizard
>>
>>2136046
So I went ahead and let him in the larger cage. I was going to wait another week but I got the call that I'm going back to work in two days, so since I'll have money in about a week, I figured it probably a good time.

He's hiding currently, but I'm sure he'll come out to bask. Next step when I get back is building a proper outside enclosure.
>>
My Sand Boa is shedding for the first time. Do I just spray the inside of her enclosure with a spray bottle?
>>
File: CAM00186.jpg (300 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00186.jpg
300 KB, 2048x1536
I want to catch and tame a couple clutches of fence lizards and alligator lizards, then let them loose in my house. I will provide suitable grass, plants, and proper basking lights on the window sills and certain corners of each room, along with little water trays.

If I am able to do this successfully, will the lizards in turn hunt down, eat, kill, and destroy the DOZEN or so of these fuckers I get in here every fucking week?!!
>>
>>2137329
Putting moist moss under a hide helps
>>
I bought a little bird house for my snake because it was like $1 at a craft store, I boiled it to clean it and was wondering if I can stain it, will that bother him?
>>
Hi, /an/!
What monitors would be suitable to live in a
7x4x4 terrarium?
Spiny-tails aren't really my thing and care-sheets for the bigger guys differ greatly.
>>
>>2134672

goddamn that was my night last night. I went one step further than you. I ripped off all the limbs of the cricket and even the mouth pinsirs. 10 minutes later I was up to do it again with another fucker. As night became dawn my dragon awoke to a feast conveniently piled up outside his cave.
>>
>>2135600
>>2135600

Ahh! This guy is really cute. He looks like a tiny crocodile.
>>
>>2137381

You can but it needs to be sealed if so. Meaning stain the wood, then apply a couple coats of water based polyurethane to seal.
>>
So my bearded dragon (Roughly six months old) is currently shedding and I'm nottcing her doing something I've never seen before. She keeps fucking inflating like a balloon, is she doing this to aid in shedding?
>>
File: 0603161135a.jpg (1 MB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
0603161135a.jpg
1 MB, 2240x1344
Qt shedding
>>
>>2137399

I'm not familiar enough with monitors to say but that should be a good size for an adult tegu if you want to go that direction.
>>
File: mainpage1.jpg (91 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
mainpage1.jpg
91 KB, 600x350
Anyone got any excel sheets preset or made for easy tracking?
Feeding
Shedding
Length
Weight
Or should I drop $39 on HerperPro
I am trying the demo but as of right now only have 2 reptiles..
>>
>>2137623

i just use pen and paper for that.
>>
>>2137629
but having charts and graphs is easier to look at in a glance to see if any issues occur like weight loss etc. Also I could keep track of medical records as well. Also it can remind you and keep track of a lot of things much easier.
>>
>>2137606
Tegus are great too, thanks for the idea

Do you/does anyone happen to know a breeder or store that ships them to Germany or is in Germany?
>>
>>2137659

I'm in Canada so don't know much about the european scene but there is the Hamm show coming up tomorrow. Terraristika Hamm is the largest reptile expo in the world. No better place to get in contact with breeders. Not necessarily to buy an animal at the show but to meet the breeders and talk to them about what you're looking for and when.

http://www.terraristikahamm.de
>>
>>2137662
Yeah, sadly I won't be here when the convention starts, thanks for the advice though
>>
File: IMG_1507.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1507.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>2137623
I use iHerp, you can check it out and see if that's what you're looking for.

Here's one of my favorite shots of my sunglow. I've got a couple of snakes starting shed cycles and I think I saw signs of her shedding as well, so hopefully she sheds soon and I see some more of that coralling come through! It's not too extravagant right now, but it went from zero coralling to quite noticeable coralling in just one shed. Her sides are bubblegum pink in person.
>>
File: Mix.webm (3 MB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Mix.webm
3 MB, 768x432
>average venom yield per bite is 80 mg
>average death time for untreated: 2-3h after entering bloodstream
>mortality rate ... very high
>caught prey struck repeatedly until dead
>very cute
>>
File: Mix2.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Mix2.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>
File: pond1.jpg (869 KB, 3226x2150) Image search: [Google]
pond1.jpg
869 KB, 3226x2150
the water in my pond is still kinda mucky, but my turtle will be fine if I put it in right?

it's just from some loamy soil I dumped in it.
>>
>>2138057
Yeah, but depending on the species, he may eat many of your plants.
>>
>>2137929
If you do have a poisionuos snake like that do you need to keep the antivenom too?
>>
>>2138158
really really should, and be fine with giving yourself a shot
>>
>>2138158
>poisionuos
venomous m80
>>
>>2138158

It is a good idea to do so as hospitals do not stock antivenin for non-native species regularly. It would have to be ordered in, which could take 24+ hours. The usual procedure is to have antivenin on hand for the species you keep and, if bitten, bring your antivenin with you to the hospital. That way you're set for the first couple days until hospital can order in more (if necessary).
>>
>>2138158
Poisonous snakes don't require antivenin, and I've never heard of anyone owning one either. Besides, the poisonous snakes I know of take the poison from their prey, so they may not be poisonous in captivity. Not sure on that though.
>>
>>2138330
Anon you're replying to was referring to venomous with the wrong word.
>>
File: tumblr_nwa7jbydda1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg (321 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwa7jbydda1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg
321 KB, 1280x853
>>2138078
he's never been much of a plant eater.
>>
>>2138185
>>2138344
>prescriptivists
>>
>>2138368
I don't know how old he is, and given the fact that I am not an expert on turtles this might be false but I've heard they only develop a taste for greens when they get older
>>
File: tot.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
tot.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2138385
he's older than most people on /an/
>>
>>2138396
13 isn't that old.
But jokes aside, there shouldn't be a problem then
>>
>>2138396
That is not your hand
>>
>>2138404
he's retaining water
>>
>>2138404
that's not my turtle either.

my hands are relatively feminine though, if you don't count the long fingers and scar tissue.
>>
File: 1415744122612.jpg (19 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1415744122612.jpg
19 KB, 334x393
>>2138396
>Stickers on an Alienware laptop
>>
>>2138444
You have good manly hands which to hold with.
>>
>>2138344
I know. It's just gotten old correcting people so I just take them at face value.
>>
File: 81f0rPb6BHL._SY679_.jpg (71 KB, 320x679) Image search: [Google]
81f0rPb6BHL._SY679_.jpg
71 KB, 320x679
What do yall think about screen encloses for your sneks? Are they flimsy and unreliable? I already ordered it, so no turning back. Pic related. (without plants obviously)
>>
>>2138717
what are you putting in it?
its a pain in the ass to maintain humidity in those, which is why chameleons are also a pain in the ass by extension
>>
>>2138723
Red tail boa (imperator) and I could see how humidity could be an issue, but I regularly mist and Texas is naturally humid as fuck.
>>
>>2138731
is one of those even big enough for a BCI?
is yours not vertical or something?
>>
>>2136202
Texas here. Wet as fuck.
>>
>>2138731

uh, wut? You bought a vertical screen tank for a terrestrial snake? is this bait? i feel like this is bait.
>>
>>2138717
>>2138731

Terrible purchase. There's absolutely no way your BCI will be happy in a screen enclosure. It won't retain the proper heat or humidity. The floorspace is minuscule.

Return it and buy a plastic enclosure like a normal person.
>>
>>2138737
>>2138745
>>2138746
Shes not very large right now, only barely 2 feet, I just wanted to get her something larger for the future. She does climb a lot, rests at the bottom and when shes active she always gets into the high limbs in her current enclosure.
>>
>>2138731
Not good for an imperator or a red tail (those are two different snakes btw). Although height is important, floor space is more important.

Misting isn't going to help your humidity.

The only thing I'd keep in one of those are chameleons or small arboreal colubrids that don't mind that level of air flow.

>>2138754
Get her a 6'x2'x2' PVC enclosure as adult. Meshed cages are the worst type of caging to get for a boa.

You can go higher than 2' with the cage, but the floor space should not be any smaller than 6'x2' unless she somehow stays 6' or under. If you go above 3' in height I'd advise building your own split-level wooden or PVC enclosure.

Just don't get the one in that picture if you value the health of your pet.

She may climb now, but as adults they become a little bit more terrestrial. Their heavy-set body structure does not allow for a lot of strenuous climbing.
>>
Hoagie the toad has figured out the food bowl
now he sits next to it and stares, waiting for worms to fall from the sky.
Still scared of my hand hovering over though. I'm confident he'll figure it out.
>>
File: pqRjK6g.jpg (869 KB, 2390x4250) Image search: [Google]
pqRjK6g.jpg
869 KB, 2390x4250
>>2138801
>>
Mates girlfriend got rid of a leopard gecko the other day. I took it in because I'm the only one inside our social circle that actually likes reptiles.

Anyway, this little guy has obviously been neglected. He's thin as fuck, with barely any tail and he's scared of everything.

He won't eat or drink, and just stays in his hide all the time.

I'm worried he might die, how can I get him to eat a little?
>>
>>2134394

I know you said lizard but have you considered frogs? Oriental fire-bellied toads maybe?
>>
>>2138923
I used to have frogs but I wanted to have reptiles for so long now that I didn't really want to "put them off" for another animal.
Still thanks for the idea though.
>>
>>2138921
I'd say take it to the vet or, if you are sure you won't hurt the lizard too much, try force-feeding it dead mealworms.
Also mist his hide a little so he may get at least a few drops of water
>>
>>2138925
I've got a family friend coming out today to give him a check over. He's a former vet and current reptile breeder

Been misting his hide since I've had him. Hopefully it's working.

I'm reluctant to force feed him, in case he stresses out and drops his tail or something. He does lick food I've been holding in front of him, but wont take it.
>>
>>2138929
That sounds like he really wants to eat but is reluctant to because of some form of pain it causes. Maybe a tumor or mbd?
>>
>>2138930
Really? Shit man. I'll take him to a vet now then.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>2138931
No problem, m8, keep me updated on his situation
>>
>>2138929
If you are afraid of force feeding you could make a bug smoothy. Mash up some mealies, add a little baby food (potato and squash is what I used) and dab a bit on his nose. He'll lick it off just to clean himself. I did this once for a leo who wouldn't eat and it seemed to do the trick.
>>
File: 20160605_132202.jpg (2 MB, 1753x1921) Image search: [Google]
20160605_132202.jpg
2 MB, 1753x1921
So I just recently noticed that my African clawed frog has developed this weird dark tiny spot on her back.

It has me kind of worried. Does anybody know what it could be? Is it a cancer, or a disease? I can't imagine it's a parasite, there's only one and I've looked very close and it appears to be just a spot on the skin.

Is this something I should worry about or could it just be a little speck of natural coloring coming through?
>>
>>2139052
looks kinda like skin-cancer, never heard of an acf having that condition though.
Just keep watching it, if it behaves weird or the spot grows take it to the vet.
>>
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1288x1102) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1288x1102
My Mexican spiny tailed iguana
>>
>>2139336

Neato!
>>
>store got three blue iguanas a few weeks ago
>sold one i guess I didn't see who bought it
>suddenly corporate sends us two red iguanas and a green iguana to go in there too
what the fuck man, how fast do iguanas grow? The tank is definitely already too small for the 5 of them, how long do we have before they won't even fit anymore?
>>
>>2139525

why is a pet chain even selling iguanas at all?
>>
>>2139531
an excellent question that I dont have an answer for
we also have chameleons for some fucking reason

and its even funnier because we actually dropped carrying rats entirely because of that rat bite fever scare a while back
>>
Has anybody had to euthanize their small reptile (asking about a chameleon) before? How do they do it for such a small animal and how much did it cost you?
>>
>>2139537
>Buy shotgun
>Load bird shot.
>???
>Profit
>>
so I got a pet corn snake yesterday and after about 8 hours in the cage it decided to come out of it's hide and explore a bit. I'm concerned at the cool side is 75 and warm 92, there's 3 hides, one warm, middle, cool, and the snake doesn't seem to spend any time on the warm side. Again this morning it's moving around a bit should I attempt to feed it? (last fed by breeder 4-5 days ago)
>>
>>2138941
This is what I was advised to do. I wasn't ITT at the time you posted, but thanks for suggesting it.

>>2138934
The vet said it most likely is MBD based on the symptoms he's showing. She suspected that his previous owner never gave him a diet with Vitamin D or calcium.

Vet said he should be fine if I keep up a routine of letting him chill under a basking light and giving him bug paste for him to lick off.

I've named him Titan in hopes he'll strengthen up a bit.

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
>>
>>2139723
Your warm side is too hot. It should be about 85. Wait another few days before attempting to feed.
>>
>>2139537
No, but i expect it's the usual anaesthesia injection. Cost would be minimal.
>>
>>2139769
moved it out of the cooler area and introduced it to the warm side, moved temp down to 88 as most of the time it'll be a bit cooler than that
>>
>>2139759
No problem, m8, always happy to help an animal.
Would be nice if you could keep updating us on Titan.
I bet he's a strong little gecker.
>>
File: who is this pokemon.jpg (227 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
who is this pokemon.jpg
227 KB, 2048x1536
Anyone know what kind of gecko is this?
>>
File: Ocastelnaui.jpg (94 KB, 750x557) Image search: [Google]
Ocastelnaui.jpg
94 KB, 750x557
>>2139846
My first thought was Oedura, O. castelnaui looks quite accurate?
>>
>>2139856
Thanks anon!
>>
>>2137665
next hamm show is in september. you can look up breeders and classified ads here: http://www.terraristik.com/tb/list_classifieds.php
>>
>>2137665
Look for Hamm & Houten classifieds on FB and ask there for any german breeder of tegus. You'll find hundreds I'm sure, there's no better place to look for breeders than Germany.

Renske Loogman seems to be a breeder but lives in the Netherlands

This way you won't have to wait until september
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (259 KB, 741x919) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
259 KB, 741x919
Can someone tell me whats going on?

It seems like he spends most of his time the past month trying to escape his tank. He'll go an warm up on his heatmat, then climb on-top of one of his hides and start scratching at the lid to his tank. Rinse and repeat.

He is 3 years old, male.

Temp on warm side is set to 96F with a thermostat, so it's at 94F most of the time.

Temp on his cool side is 73F same as the room temp. He has a moist hide in the tank at all times as well.

The humidity of this room was about 30% last I checked.

Anyone know whats going on? Is it just mating season or something?
>>
>>2140297
He's calmed down for now, but its just strange. The only other time he will do this is if his temps are too low and he decides he needs to find a better habitat.
>>
>>2139890
>>2139938
Thanks guys, and the border to NL is like half an hour from my place so I'll definitely make sure to check him out
>>
>>2140297
mating season is a possibility, its that time of year for many animals
he wants to go look for the ladies
>>
>>2140297

He's horny.
>>
File: IMG_1567.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1567.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>2136761
Here's the other arrival! He would have been here with her except Texas wanted to have crazy rains. 2016 male anery motley 66% het albino.
>>
Okay guys I think I fucked up. My painted turtle was having shell problems, and from what I could tell, the hard water was causing for her scutes to stick, preventing her from molting. They had built up in certain spots, and we're trying to peel but couldn't.

It was really bothering me, and she had developed a little shell rot on one side, so I helped the scutes come off by peeling them. It looked fine at first but then I realized a few of them looked... raw underneath, with some white in the ridges between scutes. I don't know if this from the scutes coming off too early, or if it was what was happening underneath and it was better to take them off. Like there are some reddish, veiny small parts on like 3 spots of the shell.

I feel like shit because the turtle does not want to go in the water any more and is constantly on her dock. I've been dry docking every day and curing the shell with betadine to kill bacteria.

I have no pics but can get some later. What did I do and what should I do about this? The scutes came off really easily but didn't look healthy underneath
>>
File: IMAG0191.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0191.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1520
One of my buggins. Got tuckered out on the couch. His name is Tarzan.
>>
File: IMAG0182.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0182.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>2140545
>>
File: IMAG0010.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0010.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
This is an old picture of my female, tanked seperately for obvious reasons. She's big compared to him, as he was the runt. Her name is Spaz.
>>
>>2140547
I wish my dragon had uniform beard colors, her beard is a clusterfuck of black white and orange.
>>
>>2140532

Vet i guess if the betadine isn't helping.
>>
What happens if a bearded dragon is put on their back? Do they freak the fuck out or will they just roll over? I'm interested in what would happen but I don't want to do it to mine because I don't want to make her upset.
>>
>>2140769
It'll probably squirm around until it's back upright.
>>
Thinking of rehoming my BD, I'm just not able to provide everything she needs. How does /herp/ recommend going about this process? I want to make sure she goes to someone who can take care of her better than I do, not the same or worse.
>>
File: H6SmkqB.jpg (200 KB, 780x391) Image search: [Google]
H6SmkqB.jpg
200 KB, 780x391
So my beardie is asleep, but normally he always goes into a corner but today for the first time ever he just randomly stayed in the middle of his tank and fell asleep?

Should I be worried?
>>
I have a (40gl) setup for my RES turtles
They're about 5yo
Was wondering if I can introduce a Sideneck Turtle since I've been wanting to get another aquatic turtle.

Pros? cons?
>>
>>2140793

Normal. They thermoregulate as needed. If he's feeling to warm or cold he'll bestir himself over to the appropriate tank location eventually.
>>
>>2140829

isn't 40g already too small for 5 year old RES?
>>
>>2140836
They're both around 4" not exactly 5yo
>>
>>2140840

I see. Still, that would be a crowded tank with an extra inhabitant. Better to have a separate tank for any new turtles.
>>
>>2140852
Guess I'll have to wait for that
Don't really have the space/funds for another tank setup
>>
Looking for a Rubber Boa for a year now and they never come up, seen any for sale?
>>
>>2140859

I have no idea but I will say the best way to go about finding less common species is to find breeders that deal with similar animals and send them an email/facebook message asking if they know anyone who might have what you're looking for. It's often a matter of they know a guy who knows a guy who has and breeds and is selling.
>>
>>2140866
Never thought of doing that thank you :)
>>
>>2140787
Pls help
>>
>>2140787
Either ask a zoo if they need one or try asking in reptile forums if anyone can take her.
Don't go to an animal-shelter though, they can be even worse for an animal and definitely don't release her into the wild.
>>
>>2140787
faunaclassifieds
kingsnake
craigslist, but make sure you ask the person a lot of open ended questions about care
>>
File: CAM00195.jpg (314 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00195.jpg
314 KB, 2048x1536
Tried really hard to get a clear picture, but my phone is just shit, plus the shadow didn't help.

But here he is sleeping. My roommate decided to name him Zilla. He wanted it to be God Zilla at first till I gave him a dirty look.

Anyway, he's doing really good. Jumped into my hand to take a cricket and didn't mind me holding him for a minute. Gonna pick up some calcium dust either today or tomorrow and a proper heat bulb..
>>
File: CAM00194.jpg (442 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00194.jpg
442 KB, 2048x1536
>>2141231
>>
>>2140859
Rubber boas are hard to find, go for a sand boa for something more common and similar
>>
File: snekbag.jpg (83 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
snekbag.jpg
83 KB, 399x600
Here's a neat video from Markus Jayne about his really unique boxing technique for shipping snakes. Markus Jayne is the biggest ball python breeder in Canada. Or maybe not biggest but most fanciest with all the rare morphs he produces. You wanna spend a stupid amount of money on a BP with crazy genetics, Markus is your man.

Anyway, I've never seen this hanging technique of his done by anyone else. Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpjPuK-USc
>>
I have an old vision cage that is about 24x24x15 in size. It was used in the past for a ball python when I was a kid. I'm planning to set it up again but for a leopard gecko.

This tank is technically about 30g. Is this too small for a trio?
>>
>>2141826
For three definitely. I'd go for at least 50g. Would be okay for one male or maybe two females though
>>
>>2134385
Can you reptile guys tell me what the fuck these dudes are saying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EupduwWAZc
>>
>>2140859
If you want US native boas, I've seen a Rosy boa at my reptile store every now and then.
>>
How many dusted crickets does a young leopard gecko of around 5,5-6 inches need?
>>
so i work in a petsmart, and we just got a small selection of ball python morphs in. unfortunately, most of them aren't eating, even the ones that looked like they were gorging themselves just before coming to us.

I can get my bp to feed just fine at home, but it's quiet and peaceful there. Does anyone have any tips for feeding bps in a noisier setting like a pet store? Especially bps we suspect were live fed until getting to us.
>>
>>2141872
I work at petsmart to anon and have the same problem
The last 3 weve gotten in all never ate for the 2-3 weeks before they sold
Had one single ball get returned 3 times because no one could get it to eat(note that all but 1 of these people were playing with it and trying to feed it the day they got it home and it was returned within 4 or 5 days the last being peopel i specifically told to let the animal adjust to its new surroundings for about a week before messing with
>>
>>2141883
glad to know the resentment for customers is strong at other petsmarts. it sometimes gets to the point where you start wondering if pet-owning licenses would be a good idea...
>>
>>2141860
As many as the gecko can eat in 15 minutes
>>
how long should i bake 2 pieces of drftwood for a 30 gal tank? and 250 is the right temp right?
>>
>>2142022
30-60 minutes is usually plenty.
>>
>>2141909
Alright, thanks
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.