[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a neet who wants a new pet! Pls help!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 750x750
I'm practically a neet and I feel like I need a pet to look after. Something cute and fun! Also can't just shit everywhere in my parents' house.

Thanks in advance!
>>
Why are you a neet?
>>
Get a pet rock.
>>
File: image_0.png (16 KB, 807x595) Image search: [Google]
image_0.png
16 KB, 807x595
>>2134137
This.
>>
>>2134137
I'm looking for something more involved
>>
>>2134151
2 pet rocks
>>
>live with parents
>buying a pet

With whose money?
>>
>>2134158
Parent money
>>
>>2134161
How old are you?
>>
>>2134163
Be 20 this year
>>
>>2134164
Okay, that's not so bad. When do you graduate?
>>
>>2134165
>neet
>graduate

OP isnt in school or work anon hes literally doing nothing
>>
>>2134165
I got kicked out of uni because I was depressed and the uni wouldn't help me
Now I'm feeling sad again and want a pet to cheer me up
>>
Buy a small aquarium or glass tub, make an open lid with some fine mesh like a mosquito net or somesuch, decorate it, and plop the biggest spider you can find in there. Feed it bugs and flies and shit.
>>
>>2134171
Don't like spiders :(
>>
>>2134169
>kicked out because depressed
You don't need an animal man.

Good luck taking care of yourself, let alone a pet.
>>
>>2134169
you need to help yourself stop looking towards other people to make you feel better

Thats the wrong reason to get an animal unless you want something like this anon >>2134171
mentioned which can practically sustain itself with minimal input from you
>>
Sorry anon, nothing against neets but you don't need a pet if you're living with your parents without a job or education.
>>
>>2134169
>feeling sad
You will never stop feeling sad until you help yourself.

Pets are not there to make you feel better. They live long lives and require a lot of care.
>>
Get a rat
>cheap
>readily available
>learn tricks
>low maintenance
>love interactions
Plus you have free time so it will love you more the more time u play with it
No stereotypical rat stigma here pls
>>
>>2134196
>implying OP won't just dote on a pet for a week before passing it off to his parents to care for

Please don't subject a cute rat to this.
>>
>NEET
>depressed

That's a recipe for disaster anon. It's not your pet if you're not the one financially supporting it (and you need to be able to afford good care if you want to be a responsible pet owner.) Also, depression runs the risk of you not being able to adequately care for it. What if you have a depressive episode and can't do the things you need to do? You shouldn't risk a living creature's welfare like that.

Focus on taking care you yourself before you attempt to care for anyone else.
>>
The problem is

The OP isn't actually depressed.

They have Millenial Syndrome, where they want everything taken care of for them. And they want the next thing to occupy their time because they're bored as fuck and too comfortable in their room on the computer. So they buy a video game, or a pet. Whatever keeps their attention for a while why they don't work or find a job or go to school.

Kids in the 18-24 range not working or going to school and living off their parents are really sad individuals, and it's not because they are "Depressed." It's because they are lazy and comfortable and won't leave the nest.
>>
Why is it so many people in this age range say they have something "mental." It's like they know that can't be accurately assessed or determined and they can just act a certain way and that proves they have a condition or something. But if they tried to say they were physically disabled they'd have to prove it.
>>
>>2134216
Because being kicked out of uni due to "depression" is better than saying they failed out of college because they were lazy or didn't feel like doing the work.
>>
>>2134213
Well, I fit every one of those, except I go to college. I got a scholarship to go to my school for absolutely free(except books). I also live in the most corrupt city with little job availability, and shit pay. However I do volunteer at a National Park to get some hours to make my resume look good. I eventually want to get my Masters and become a Marine Biologist.
>>
>>2134213
Spoken like a preachy cunt with a chip on his shoulder and no knowledge of mental illness.
>>
How are you going to take care of a pet if you Have no money for a pet? Just wait until your parents get a pet that you can play with
>>
>>2134169
>uni wouldn't help me.

Why the fuck would they you are an adult. Jesus Christ
>>
>>2134233
seconded
>>
>>2134213
I somehow miraculously avoided becoming a NEET, but NEET life is soul crushing and is definitely not something any rational and healthy human being would continue to live out. It's an inherent human need to feel needed or that there's a worthwhile purpose to work towards in life.

As Voltaire said, keeping your mind and hands busy with some kind of work is a pretty effective way to not end up killing yourself. Falling into the abyss of inaction will grind down your soul.
>>
>>2134342
I'm happier now that I'm not working than when I was working 60 hour work weeks.
>>
Get a rat. They're great.
>>
>>2134213
Hey grandpa what are you doing on 4chan?
>>
Get hissing cockroaches, literally can live comfortably with temps of 70-110% Dont need any light, eats grocery vegetables and cat food. You can stare at them and contemplate this meaningless life.
>>
Find a job so you can make sure you can care for it. Even if you're not up for long hours, you can afford a pet working part time making minimum wage since that would apparently be your only expense.
Get an older dog from a shelter. It'll already be housetrained and they're almost always sweet and calm, but they never get adopted cause everyone wants puppies.

Don't expect your pet to cure your depression. That's not fair. It's a real, living being, not just something to cuddle when you're sad, and not something you can ignore when you don't feel like getting out of bed.
>>
Do yourself, your parents, and the potential pet a favor and don't get a pet. You don't have the money to take care of it. You don't have the ambition, drive, and energy needed to give it the attention it needs. You're going into it with the wrong attitude that getting a pet will somehow make your life better when in reality, owning a pet is equally part of making the pet's life better which you're clearly not capable of doing, otherwise you wouldn't be such a depressed and hopeless NEET yourself. You gotta help yourself before you can help others and anything you get will wallow in the same unwashed sorrow you're wallowing in right now. I'm not trying to insult you but getting a pet would just bring you down and keep you from bettering your own life due to the increased monetary and time consumption needed to care for it while you struggle to hold a job or attend school.

Wait until you get your shit stabilized before you buy a pet. Or get some big creepy ass bug, those are pretty easy.
>>
>>2134449
He's kinda got a point though.
I don't look down on NEETs, hey if your parents can afford it, go for it.
But they're missing out on earnings, which if they hold out long enough will make their life and their parents' that much harder.
More importantly they're missing out on socializing and getting life experience. Which seems a bit sad. There are people with disabilities out there working and having fun. Seems better than sitting in front of a screen just getting older.
>>
>>2134233
Spoken like a nerve was triggered.
>>
>>2134152
>>>2134151
>2 pet rocks

Kek
>>
>>2134315
A lot of universities have programs to help students that are feeling depressed/stressed out by school and have counselors/therapists to talk with.
>>
>>2135237
A girl I went to uni with was given more days that she was allowed to miss if she just couldn't get out of bed due to her depression. She failed out anyway because she's stupid though
>>
File: peacockspider.gif (382 KB, 499x276) Image search: [Google]
peacockspider.gif
382 KB, 499x276
>>2134133
Jumping spider. It would be cheap as fuck, and there would be no downsides.
>>
>>2134133
goldfish
>>
>>2134219
Move to the Philippines. This place is cheap as fuck and our marine bio programs are pretty good.
>>
>>2134169
don't listen to these literal faggots, get a dog and let it's licks and nibbles nurse you back to mental health

>>B--bbuut they'll kill it! They won't give it medicine!
this board is polluted by animal rights screwballs that don't realize we have dominion over all creatures
>>
File: colorful betta boy.jpg (395 KB, 1733x1310) Image search: [Google]
colorful betta boy.jpg
395 KB, 1733x1310
Get a betta

-initial costs are cheap (5-10 gallon tank, tank salt, water purifier, bacteria supplement, 5lb bag of gravel, betta food, betta)
-not much maintenance
-look very nice
-will come to you in the tank when you approach

you can get 1 male or 4-5 females. They hunt/stalk their food. If cost isnt too much of an issue, get a bunch of plants and shit to hide in then get like 10 cleaner shrimp

betta will enjoy them where they eat the shrimp or just bully them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXOMVFbvt0 mute/annotations off
>>
>>2134169

Uh, not to sound like a dick, but have you considered volunteering at an animal rescue/shelter?

It's definitely better than buying a pet.

Working at a local pet shop is also applicable.
>>
>>2134213
I kind of fit that bill but it's more like being afraid to leave the nest due to shit self esteem and social issues. Sometimes a distraction is needed to help give a small boost, even if it's not much

>23
>graduated university but with a shit degree like a dumbass
>spent more than half a year being a 100% neet after uni
>eventually got a part time job that some family pulled strings for me because I couldn't be assed to do it myself nor even look for anything in the field I graduated in

I have a pet turtle I got for a decade now that before then, my folks basically paid for everything for, including a depressingly undersized tank the thing's been living in for years. Eventually saved enough money from the job and upgraded the shit out of the turtle's enclosure into a more proper one myself. From that, got a brief moment of self confidence boost in knowing that for once, the turtle feels like it's mine instead of my folk's. Since then, I've more or less became enchanted with the turtle because she gave me some drive by slowly getting more hours and more pay after knowing that this little thing is counting on me, so I'm doing my part to be a responsible herp owner. Even more so since she seems to enjoy my company.

OP, A pet CAN help you out in some extent but you have to do your part as well if you really care for the animal, otherwise it's not fair to you, your parents, or the pet in question.

This anon is right >>2134731
You can afford a pet with minimum wage or not many hours but don't count on it being a instant depression fix, because it's not.
I'd recommend something cheap, hardy, and fairly low maintenance. Aquarium pets tend to be lower cost in upkeep, but the initial setup is the most expensive part and require at least some effort on your part in maintenance and shit.
You can let it be your parent's expense for purchase but you sure as hell better not let it be their responsibility to care for it.

>inb4 nice blog
>>
>>2135556
this. had one in HS and the first year or so of college. they are troopers, very hard to fuck up. they also can get pretty beautiful. they make an excellent pet for degenerates because they don't require a heinous amount of interaction you basically just feed them and clean their tank every so often.
>>
I say a small fish tank with a couple of guppies. They don't cost too much and if you get too sad to take care of them; they wouldn't live too long and your parents can care for them.

My personal advice is too visit a shrink so they can give you the help or drugs you need. Then start volunteering somewhere. A place that supports something you love.
Change your diet up. Maybe something you are eating is making you feel bad (chemically).

Perhaps, after these you won't feel as sad and you can get a pet when you get your part-time job.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.