[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think debarking dogs is ethical? I never really considered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: close-up-barking-dog-mouth.jpg (82 KB, 600x479) Image search: [Google]
close-up-barking-dog-mouth.jpg
82 KB, 600x479
Do you think debarking dogs is ethical? I never really considered it before, but I'm going to be moving into an apartment next week and it's been made clear to me that constant dog barking will not be tolerated. At this point my options are either to have the surgery done to quiet the dog, or give the dog up at which point it will probably be euthanized. I hate to do it, but it's not like the dog even really knows the difference right? Is it really so cruel?
>>
>>2134079
What have you done to train the dog to not bark?
>>
>>2134083
I've tried everything I can but it never seemed to do any good, I talked to a trainer and he said that small breeds like this often do have problems with barking and sometimes there's just nothing that can be done. He was actually the first one that recommended the surgery to me.

At any rate I seriously doubt there's anything I can do at this point that will be effective within a week.
>>
They still make noise with the surgery and its just as annoying. Find somewhere else to live.
>>
There's an old wives trick that I've found to be very helpful in quieting noisy dogs. Let me know if you're interested and I'll look it up, OP.
>>
Alright I found it for you OP.

So get your dog's favorite food, and pour it into his bowl. Throw a little bit of water on it, and then throw it into the microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute. Throw a bit of garlic powder, some tomato juice, and EG(you can get some here http://amzn.com/B00F3BLZK0 ) and mix it up.

Do this for about a week and your dog's barking should be seriously reduced. Good luck! :)
>>
>>2134079
Dude why don't you get one of those bark control collars or things you put down in the house that have a radius? Like someone else said they will still bark even with the surgery. It's a natural compulsion they have to be trained out of to stop doing all the time.
>>
Have you even done research on what can happen on debarking? Besides infections they can run into other health problems. It also really does seem unethical, dogs bark and you shouldn't give up on training him to stop.
>>
>>2134079

Put some pasta in a pop bottle.

When the dog barks hit the bottle on your knee or on your hand to make a loud sound, this is a "correcton".

If he does it when you put him outside, hit the door 3 or 4 times.

Put him in a crate, if he barks hit the crate.

>source: we got our dachshund to stop whining and barking under this advice from our trainer.
>>
>>2134110
I've tried those collars, they didn't help. At least not the "humane" ones that sprayed him with citronella, he eventually got used to it and ignored it. Didn't try the shock collar but I think that would be even more cruel than a one-time surgery and might not even solve the problem fast enough.
>>2134090
I've watched videos of dogs after the surgery and the "noise" they make doesn't sound like the sort that would transmit through apartment walls. I don't mind if I'm the only one that has to hear it. I just don't want it to be a nuisance.
>>2134134
A minute chance of complications seems better than almost certain euthanasia when I have to surrender him to a shelter though.
>>
>>2134143
This sounds like what I tried before, anyway I worry that even if I get him to quiet down here, he might relapse when he has to deal with the stress of a new living environment. It will only take one barking complaint before I have to dump him off at the shelter. I'd really rather it doesn't come to that.
>>
It's perfectly ethical. What's unethical is refusing to debark your dog, inflicting its godawful noise on everyone around you. Debarking should be standard alongside spay/neuter.
>>
Try getting professional help before resorting to debarking. A professional trainer will probably run you less than a debarking procedure, and be significantly more humane.

Dogs are just like everything in life. If you cannot do something yourself, then call in a professional. Get a certified dog trainer to help you to correct the issue. Like I said, cheaper and better in the long run. You'll learn how to correct the behavior in the future as well.
>>
Don't get a shitty aggressive loud as fuck animal if you're going to live next to other people. This is why people cannot have roosters within a certain distance of neighbors in some areas. It should be the same with dogs but since 50% of the population own one no one has the balls to do anything about it.
>>
>>2134144
>I've watched videos of dogs after the surgery and the "noise" they make doesn't sound like the sort that would transmit through apartment walls. I don't mind if I'm the only one that has to hear it. I just don't want it to be a nuisance.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

MY apartment walls are so fucking thin I can hear people talking.

Find a new apartment complex.
>>
>>2134224
I didn't have to live next to other people when I got the animal. Sometimes living situations change unexpectedly
>>
>>2134109
rip pupper
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.