[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amateur paleontologist here. I was thinking of starting a collection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 800px-Equisetopsida.jpg (292 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
800px-Equisetopsida.jpg
292 KB, 800x1200
Amateur paleontologist here. I was thinking of starting a collection of living fossils (plants mostly). As my first plant I thought of this thing, Equisetum telmateia.

>What should I know about keeping my precious plants at life? Good fertilizer? Heat?
>>
>>2133913
Dunno 'bout your question. But cycads, tree ferns and ginkgo are cool as shit
>>
>>2133913
>plant general
>still shits up board with random how i care pls threads
>>
it's a weed that's literally impossible to kill.

it usually grows on alkaline soil.
>>
>>2133952
I know how to take care of plants, I was asking about living fossils. You know, certain types of soil, humidity and whatnot
>>
>>2133963
depends on the species
If you want basic care tips for all "living fossil plants":
water, light and they should have their roots in some kind of substrate

>>2133959
this anon told you about your desired Equisetum

I have a Ginkgo and I can tell you one thing:
If you can't put it outdoors, don't bother buying one

I have a Metasequoia too, if you consider that one a living fossil

Thinking of getting Dicksonia antarctica currently
>>
>>2133913
Holy shit, I took pictures of these when I was in England. We were walking the beach at Folkestone in a wooded area and I saw a ton of them. I didn't see any large ones so I couldn't tell what they grew into.
>>
>>2134002
OP here. I've heard Ginkgos date 300 million years back, so they're an amazing example of living fossils. But there is one thing. Are they needy?
>>
>>2134605

They don't grow large, what you saw was an adult plant.
>>
File: eppingforest44big.jpg (140 KB, 855x641) Image search: [Google]
eppingforest44big.jpg
140 KB, 855x641
>>2135116
>They don't grow large
>>
>>2135115
Yea, Ginkgos are awesome and absolutely ancient

Well, they shouldn´t be kept too hot and too dry.

They need a cold period, where they lose their "leaves"
The soild shouldn´t be too wet, but also not too dry, no full fun for the smaller ones.
otherwise, it´s not really needy
They grow slow when they are young, but speed up when they get larger
>>
>>2135142

Well tickle my anus and call my Samantha, the ones that I've seen have never went above my knee.
>>
File: small.jpg (177 KB, 432x555) Image search: [Google]
small.jpg
177 KB, 432x555
>>2135939
that's not even the tallest species.
>>
File: kauritree[1].jpg (103 KB, 613x423) Image search: [Google]
kauritree[1].jpg
103 KB, 613x423
Kauri trees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agathis_australis
>>
lycopods are way cooler but also harder to grow.
>>
>>2136129

These seem like a fuck load of work, plus, it's a huge ass tree. I was looking for something that you can keep in a flower pot
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.