[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Myths about animals and bugs we always knew growing up.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 14
File: 20160528_175449.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160528_175449.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
ITT: Myths about animals and bugs we always knew growing up.
>Birds will reject a baby bird touched by a human
>>
File: sigh.png (48 KB, 495x243) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
48 KB, 495x243
>>2133747
>We killed bambis mom and now we're eating her for dinner
>>
>>2133759
Lol just reading this, I'll admit that it sounds kind of edgy.

I wasn't intending that. I just thought it was interesting how people have been taught to be so sentimental towards all non-human animals. I really do wonder where the history of such teachings arose.
>>
>>2133759
> It's this annoying faggot AGAIN
>>
>>2133764
>I just thought it was interesting how people have been taught to be so sentimental towards all non-human animals.

My wife has a serious tendency to transfer her own feelings onto our pet snakes. Stuff like...

>We need to take the snake outside so they can crawl around in the open and enjoy the sun and fresh air.

>It's enclosure is too dull. It's going to get bored in there. Let's put in some pretty plants for stimulation.

>We should get another snake so it isn't lonely.

>Aawww, it's nuzzling you because it likes you.

>It hasn't eaten for 3 weeks! It's going to die!

Snakes are not dogs.
>>
File: 1438643869501.gif (346 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1438643869501.gif
346 KB, 250x188
>>2133747

>If a turtle bites you, it'll let go if it hears thunder.

>Snakes (particularly Cottonmouths) will chase you down.

>Snakes jump off the ground.

>Snakes can sting with their tongue/tail.

>Daddy Long Legs are really venomous, but their fangs are too small to pierce your skin.

>Turtles (particularly red eared sliders) will eat all the fish in your pond if you don't control their population.

>You can tell a snake is venomous because it has a diamond shaped head.

>You can tell how old a rattlesnake is by looking at its rattle.

>Black Widows are deadly venomous.

>Frogs/toads can give you warts, especially if they pee on you.

>Mosquito Hawks (craneflies) eat mosquitoes.

>Bats will get stuck in your hair.

>Bats have poor eyesight.

>Piranhas will strip a human body clean in X seconds.

>Alligator gar will attack/eat people.

>Snakes will not cross a horse hair rope.

>Putting down lime/mothballs/whatever else someone told you will repel snakes.
>>
File: lob.jpg (52 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lob.jpg
52 KB, 480x360
>Lobsters don't feel pain
>>
>>2133809
The triangular head is actually true though
>>
File: 1464570823674.jpg (163 KB, 1136x1136) Image search: [Google]
1464570823674.jpg
163 KB, 1136x1136
>Blue tailed skinks are venomous to the touch.
>>
>wasps are more aggressive than bees
>ok to put spiders outside
>sharks like to eat people
>>
>>2133809
>Black Widows are deadly venomous.

Their venom is reported to be 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake's, according to NCSU.
>>
You know what fucking myth is said to not be true but fucking is?

Fucking earwigs going into your ear.

I had that happen to me and anybody who says its a myth is a fucking faggot because it fucking sucked and I am scared of bugs because of that shit.
>>
>>2133867
oh yeah I went autistic about this in another thread too

So you may recognize this
>>
>>2133856
Their venom is strong as fuck, but they deliver it in far too small doses to threaten a healthy human.
>>
>>2133759
Bugguy fuck off to the plant thread and stay there where you are mildly useful.
>>
>>2133867
Earwigs (like any small insect) can end up in your ear, but they don't have any special affinity for it, and don't do anything bad in there aside from it being scary and uncomfortable.
>>
> pitbulls are just like other dogs
>pitbulls won't randomly snap and kill family members
>>
>>2133747
>Scorpions can't climb
>Bananas are the only food a monkey eats
>Rabbits are rodents
>A sponge is a type of plant
>The cheetah is the fastest animal in the world
>Hedgehog quills can kill
>Rabies are only found in dogs
>Sharks target humans
>Sea turtles and terrapins are the same thing
>The komodo dragon is the closest relative to the dinosaur
>Hedgehogs, Porcupines and Echidnas are related
>All rats/mice contain disease
>Market eggs have a chance to hatch if not eaten immediately
>A camel a llama and a giraffe are related
>>
>Hedgehogs, Porcupines and Echidnas are related
They aren't?
>>
>>2133759
Are you retarded? If you hurt a cat or dog they develop behavioral and emotional problems. If an animal is abused they develop extreme anxiety. My mom owns a cat sanctuary for disabled cats and that includes a lot of cats that have been abused. A cat's limbic system is almost exactly like a humans as well

And people who act like humans are so much better than other animals are so annoying. Slime mold is no less evolved than a dog, it's just that it's evolved to best survive in its habitat and fulfill the specific niche it belongs to. Humans are just able to thrive in many more habits than other animals due to our brains

In the end, we're just slowly masses of organic matter. A dead cat and a dead human will decompose in the same way
>>
>>2133954
>Bananas are the only food a monkey eats

You're saying cartoons are lying?
>>
>>2133972
> If you hurt a cat or dog they develop behavioral and emotional problems.
no, just behavioural problems.

neither dogs or cats have emotion.
>>
>>2133749
Are you kidding me venison is the fucking best
>>
>>2133982
Wild bananas are also different desu
>>
>>2133983
They have a limbic system and a cortex. They have emotions.
Not all emotions are self aware. Anger is not, shame is.
>>
>when a badger bites you in the foot/leg/arm/whatever, it won't let go until it feels your bones crunch.

I'm terrefied of badgers because of this
>>
File: 1273555373972.jpg (6 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1273555373972.jpg
6 KB, 160x160
>insects aren't animals
>>
>>2133993
>>when a badger bites you in the foot/leg/arm/whatever, it won't let go until it feels your bones crunch.
Classical mustelid demonisation. Still doesn't beat the "wolverines pounce onto moose and slit their throats in a moment" meme, though.
>>
>>2133872
i thought that post looked familiar
>>
>>2133759
B.A.I.T
>>
File: FB_IMG_1460912943866.jpg (16 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460912943866.jpg
16 KB, 400x302
>>2133809
>Daddy Long Legs are really venomous, but their fangs are too small to pierce your skin.
>>
>>2133759
Fuck off bugguy.
>>
>>2134082
>american "education"
>>
>>2133833
everything with a triangular head is venomous, not everything venomous has a triangular head
>>
>>2133954
>A camel a llama and a giraffe are related
yeah, they're all artiodactyls?
>>
>>2133957
>Hedgehogs
insectivores
>Porcupines
rodents
>Echidnas
monotreme

but they're all mammals, so there's that
>>
>>2133954
>Porcupines can shoot quills
>>
>>2134082
I swear to god if I hear one more white suburban mum tell me this.
>>
>>2133957
Yep. Turns out evolving quills is a relatively simple thing. They're just really stiff hair.
>>
>>2134460
Wait, so it's actually happened IRL? I thought it was just a meme on /an/.
>>
>>2134464
I wish it was only a meme, I really do.
>>
>>2134465
Which country? Also, is it a religious thing(similar to the notion that humans aren't animals) or just plain ignorance?
>>
>>2134469
nah just idiots, I'm in Australia. The amount of people I meet who think that invertebrates are not animals is ridiculous.
>>
insects arent animals, theyre insects

the thing that makes animals different is the fact that they have hair and souls
>>
>>2134482
that is such a sad attempt at bait I'm not even sure what to say.
>>
>>2134473

Qld?
>>
>>2134489
yep QLD, how did you guess?
>>
>>2134082
I have never heard this said unironically and I live in a rural shithole where everyone thinks every single insect is a beetle.
>>
>>2133832
They don't.
>>
>>2134308
This.
>>
File: Sunspider.jpg (3 MB, 2000x3008) Image search: [Google]
Sunspider.jpg
3 MB, 2000x3008
>>2134308
Don't forget all the retarded myths about these poor fuckers.
>>
Dogs hate cats and will attack and kill them 100% of the time.
>>
>>2134552
>Tfw you want to get one but gf is scared of their chelicerae
>>
File: yFLvzYL.jpg (105 KB, 1200x1266) Image search: [Google]
yFLvzYL.jpg
105 KB, 1200x1266
>>2134555
But they're what makes them cute. Oversized chelicerae are goofy as fuck.
>>
>>2134563
Their abdomen also grossed out my gf which blows, maybe one day though
>>
>>2134499

Moved up to Qld from SA. Lets just say..there are some interesting people up here.
>>
>>2133832
>lobsters scream when you cook them
>>
>>2134577
I moved up from NSW I know how you feel mate
>>
>>2133954
where the fuck do you live, Toontown? almost all those myths are Betty Boop-tier. Here's a couple of myths for ya you can't survive having a piano dropped on your head and anvils are impossibly heavy to carry around.

oh and maybe i misread it but if you mean a llama and camel aren't related...they are both in the same famiy, camelidae
>>
Daddy long legs is the most venomous creature on the whole planet!!! But it's teeth are too small to bite you ~ ;3
>>
>>2133899
>>2134360
Bugguy doesn't kill cats that get into his garden; he drops them off at shelters.
>>
>>2133946
goldies and labs have killed people too, you dip

irresponsible owners make dangerous dogs
and irresponsible people are more likely to get "fighting dogs"
These breeds are harder to train than, let's say a lab

That's why. Also, a goldie kill is almost never shown on the news
>>
>>2134464
Tell them a tale about infusoria as a fish food, make them bonkers.
>yup sorry, you can't see shit at all
>>
>>2133809
In all fairness, Cottonmouths are some really, REALLY aggressive fuckers, especially when they're in the water.
And Copperheads will kind of throw themselves/lunge when they strike, so their strike range is around 2-3x their body length

For both those reasons, damn near every town in my state have ordinances specifically allowing the discharge of firearms within city limits in order to kill snakes
>>
>>2134967
>In all fairness, Cottonmouths are some really, REALLY aggressive fuckers, especially when they're in the water.

Oh yeah, they'll stand their ground, confront you, and put on an impressive threat display. But chase you down and then bite you? That's something else entirely.

>>And Copperheads will kind of throw themselves/lunge when they strike, so their strike range is around 2-3x their body length

I think you mean 1/3 or 1/2 their body length. A 2 foot copperhead is not covering 4-6 feet with a strike.

It really comes down to people simply not understanding snakes and vastly overestimating their viciousness.

>>For both those reasons, damn near every town in my state have ordinances specifically allowing the discharge of firearms within city limits in order to kill snakes

More like they don't really want to criminalize many peoples' initial reaction to snakes.
>>
File: 1456392207937.jpg (427 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456392207937.jpg
427 KB, 800x1000
>>2133759
>>2133764
>>
File: 1463353325739.gif (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1463353325739.gif
48 KB, 600x600
>sustainable fishing is real
>harvestmen are poisonous
>>
One that pissed me off forever was this

>Mockingbirds steal eggs and kill chicks.

My god damn mother would kill every mockingbird she ever saw, because she believed with every fiber of her being that they were evil.

Actually, it was cowbirds. She'd look in nests and see a parasite speckled egg, that looks like a mockingbird egg, when in fact the cowbird egg is speckled.

These too

>Cottonmouth will chase you.
>Turkeys die in the rain from drowning (They actually die of heart attacks from thunder, or are roosting in trees struck by lightning)
>Opossums are rabid
>>
I FUCKING HATE SEAGULLS

SHITTING ON ME
EATING MY SHIT
SWARMING EVERYWHERE
MAKING RETARDED SOUNDS

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A MYTH
>>
>>2137527
>women do drastic irrational things from an exclusively emotional context
I guess that animal myth just got confirmed
>>
>>2137546
But she actually had reason to believe that mockingbirds were harmful to local bird populations. She looked in goddamn bird nests to make that observation, that would have been rock solid evidence if she was right about what kind of egg they were.

Hard to blame her, especially if she had no internet to check shit.

>>2137543
Seagulls do not exist. What you're describing is human children, which experience a brief period of aggression towards their parents and other humans during their adolescence. This is called "musth" and is a regular part of their life cycle.
>>
Alot of people don't know that octopus and squid mouths are underneath their tentacles.
I knew a girl who thought owl beaks were actually just a big nose and their mouths were underneath them.

The one myth I have hear alot is that if you hold a toad you will get warts. My mother told me this alot when I used to collect frogs as a child.
I have held many toads and frogs and never got any warts from them.

>>2134590
That's their flesh detaching from their shells and air pressure is building up and releasing. Possibly.

>>2133867
I got bit by an earwig. I wasn't trying to kill it on anything, I was just digging some holes for my plants.

>>2134530
To be fair, most insects are beetles.
>>
>>2137546
>man does something stupid
WOW WHAT A MORON
>woman does something stupid
WOW ALL WOMEN ARE MORONS
>>
>>2137696
Keep the feminism out of the nature thread pal
>>
>>2133809
>Mosquito Hawks (craneflies) eat mosquitoes.

The adults don't, but their larvae eat the larvae of mosquitoes. Same as dragonflys.
>>
>>2133867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLGhXtwDpI
>>
I used to hear all the time that cats have nine lives. Not sure where it originated but it's bullshit.
>>
>>2133946
One has to wonder how anyone can let themselves be killed by a dog. Any normal sized human is far stronger than most dogs, and while the dog can cause serious injury it should not be able to kill any human that actually defends itself.
>>
>Chihuahuas can cure asthma

My parents got her for my brother but she became the best bro ever.
>>
>>2133809
Snakes can jump off the ground, and will sometimes chase you, do you even snake bro? Or just your captive pet
>>
>>2137995
Panic and let the dog inflict an injury to some vital artery I imagine. You usually hear about children being killed after all, not adults.

Though I'm kind of surprised in this case that it managed to kill an adult while two other people were in the room. You'd think one of them could have smashed the dog's head in with something heavy while it was busy mauling her.
>>
the number of spots on a ladybug correlate to how old it is
>>
>>2137999
tell me, which species jumps off the ground and chases a human
>>
>>2138045
Most snakes grab their tail in their mouth and will roll around like a wheel. If they hit an obstacle they definitely can get some good air like that. My uncle got bitten by a rattler that way.
>>
>>2133849
>wasps are more aggressive than bees
True though. Saying otherwise is just some contrarian shit people say before trying to handle a wasp and getting stung
>>
>>2133954
>Hedgehog quills can kill
they can if you're stupid and just rip them out like a retard, very high risk of infection.
>>
File: HNI_0057.jpg (44 KB, 405x418) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0057.jpg
44 KB, 405x418
>>2133867
thing is, earwigs don't make their home in human ears. yeah, they can get stuck in there, but so can any small bug in the wrong place.

they're actually named for their ear-shaped wing, not any alleged habit of crawling in people's ears.
you never see wings on most species, so the name managed to spawn the myth that they have some grater tendency to enter your ear than other bugs
>>
>>2138060
they really aren't, significantly anyway. Creating venom still takes energy, they're more 'eager' to sting than bees since they wont die if they do it, but they still wont do it willy nilly. I've held yellowjackets in my hand before, as long as you're not retarded and agitate it, you;ll be fine.
>>
>>2137984
It comes from the fact that if a cat falls from high up enough that they can twist their entire bodies around due to their flexible spines so they can land on their feet. If it's from high up enough they more often than not break one or more legs. But if you think about it, a broken leg has a much greater chance of healing over time than a broken spine. Because of this, cats often survive falls that would kill other animals, like dogs.

This is why it's often said cats always land on their feet.
>>
>>2138060
>>2138070
It all depends, here in Nevada we have tons of wasps that build little paper nests along the cheap generic wooden fences used to build all the houses here before the house market crashed.

If you get anywhere near their nests they will sting the fuck out of you. And we've had over a dozen nests along the fences in our backyard before.

But when they are far away chewing up plant stems to get the material to build their nests they are chill as fuck. I love poking their cute little abdomens when they are nibbling on our sunflower plants. They buzz around for a few seconds before settling back down.
>>
>>2133809
>Piranhas will strip a human body clean in X seconds.
That may be false, but flamingos are not to be fucked with...
>>
>>2137995
white guild desu
>>
Dinosaurs were real.
>>
>>2138069
WTF THESE FUCKERS CAN FLY?
>>
>>2138059
Hoop snakes are the only species observed to move this way
>>
>>2138236
>All dinosaurs are extinct.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.