[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Found a baby bird; Leroy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3
File: BabyBird.jpg (165 KB, 732x264) Image search: [Google]
BabyBird.jpg
165 KB, 732x264
Found a poor baby bird outside my front-yard, pretty much identical to one in pic, bleeding, 3 bites on him and he was shaking. put him in a little aluminium tray lined with tissues and put a heat pack under it to keep him warm. Drive with my brother to a vet, hand him over the counter. They are going to call me and tell whether he will survive or not. Waiting by the phone... Why do i feel so sad about this.
Life is beautiful people, it really is.
Godspeed Leroy
please be okay.
>>
Ps. ill keep you all updated.
>>
>>2133054
Birds with bites (usually cat bites) very rarely survive. This is true even after heavy rounds of antibiotics are used.
>>
>>2133061
Poor little thing, why's that btw? is it to do with bacteria or something?
>>
>>2133063
think of cat spit as komodo dragon spit

wrecks everything before the antibiotics kick in. It's too much bacteria at once for small animals to handle
>>
>>2133067
So i'm hoping for a miracle then?
>>
>>2133063
Yep, cat mouths contain some of the nastiest bacteria out there.

Even in people, cat bites lead to systemic infections 50% of the time with the most severe cases even ending in death.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2014/02/cat-bites-hand-can-cause-serious-infections-mayo-study-finds

Here's a tldr:
>Twenty-six of the 36 people (72 percent) who had been immediately hospitalized and 12 of the 21 (57 percent) who were hospitalized after first trying oral antibiotics ended up requiring surgery. Eight patients required more than one surgery.
>>
>>2133054
cute pigeon
good luck
>>
>>2133069
Yes :(
>>
>>2133070
That's life i guess, against my will to say its 100% over though, hope the little bugger is calm and relaxed as he goes.
>>2133072
thank you
>>2133074
:(
>>
>>2133075
>That's life i guess
cats are a domesticated species that isn't native to anywhere.

these things wouldn't happen if people took actual care of their cats and supervised them.
>>
>>2133075
I have a recently rescued bird too OP. We'll hope for you, but if nothing else you gave it your best.

Keep us updated one way or the other.
>>
>>2133076
well that's our fault we domesticated them, it's hard to keep a cat inside as they are exploring and curious creatures and you cannot supervise a cat while it is outside to make sure it doesn't kill anything.
>>
going out for dinner with my old man, will be back and should have the news by then
>>
>>2133081
>it's hard to keep a cat inside
it isn't.
>you cannot supervise a cat while it is outside
yes you can.
>>
Haven't received a call yet, hopefully that means he's okay for now.

>>2133090
if you have no life you can supervise your cat while it's outside. Cats want to go outside, they are not indoor creatures, mine would meow and meow until i let him outside.
>>
>>2133128
>Cats want to go outside
murderers want to kill people.

rapist want to rape people.

thieves want to steal.

doesn't mean we should let them.
>they are not indoor creatures
they are not outdoor creatures either.

going outdoors means cats lose 92% of their lifespan.
>mine would meow and meow until i let him outside.
because you're a bad owner that doesn't play with his pets, giving them the mental stimulation that they need.

your cat wants to go outside because there's stimulation outside.

your cat wants to go outside because you failed as owner.

you can't even take care of a cat, consider having yourself sterilized.
>>
>>2133132
I think you care a bit too much about this topic, you should probably go outside and shit on the lawn like the lunatic you are lmao
>>
>>2133136
nice argument lmao
>>
>>2133137
I'm not going to argue with a pseudo intellectual idiot telling others that they are unable to look after a cat when you know nothing about the topic. I'm sorry that your unemployed and live with your mother, just so you know, it's your fault, have fun talking to yourself on this thread.
>>
>>2133137
besides, i play with my cat all the time, he's an adorable cat, very nice and loves attention, when he goes outside to shit or piss, he doesn't come back for a while, he explores and is curious about the world around him, let me dumb it down for you, he's a cat.
>>
>>2133141
>besides, i play with my cat all the time
we both know this is untrue.

if a cat has proper mental stimulation it doesn't try to go outdoors.

there's no need to lie to me, and most importantly to yourself about how well you take care of your pets.

>when he goes outside to shit or piss, he doesn't come back for a while

in your neighbours flowerbed, actively harming them and their property, all because you're too lazy to take proper care of a cat.
>he explores and is curious about the world around him
you're anthropomorphising a cat.

cats that are 'curious about the world' are the cats you'll see dead on the highway.

you're a terrible owner, and a terrible neighbour.
>>
>>2133143
yawn
>>
>>2133143
I have no cat, so I can't say anything about this "bad owner" argument.

BUT I can say something. You are right about the "bad neighbour part"

The cats stay away at daytime, because my dog is mostly out in my garden. But at night, they come on my property.

The neighbours cats are constantly shitting in my Vegetable beds. They also spray pretty much everything that is standing in my garden with urine.
They even catch fish in my pond and kill them.
Also, they kill the wild snakes on my property.
They even damaged my other neighbours pool twice.

I talked to my neighbours about this, but they apparently do not care at all.

They pretty much say I have to secure my garden against their cats

but what can I do?
Put an alligator gar in my pond?
place leghold traps around the pond?

I know this sounds cruel, but since this is going on for years now, I'm pretty fed up

But is there anything I can do against this?

I hope you>>2133140
aren't as fucking ignorant as my neighbour, but you sure seem to be
>>
>>2133054
that looks like a pigeon, throw it in the fucking garbage
>>
>>2133214
How is cats killing snakes on your property bad?

Snakes are vermin.
>>
>>2133217
you are a special kind of stupid aren't you
>>
>>2133214
If my cat was doing that to other peoples property than i would promptly do something about it to prevent it, i don't know why you think i sound ignorant. Maybe i seem like a dick replying to that other guy but he really is stupid.

If you want to protect the ponds, consider putting a fence over the top of it horizontally, which may slightly spoil the aesthetics but it's better than your fish dying.

Cats shitting in a vegetable garden, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that good? fertilizes and puts nutrients in the soil? I'm no gardener however.

As for the plants, i'm not sure.

>>2133217
thats what i was kind of thinking too. except snakes are not vermin.
>>
Also no update so far, the vet hasn't called.

>>2133216
you clearly have never held a dying baby animal in your palm.
>>
>>2133214
I fenced off my entire garden and put barbed wire on top of them, cats are able to get in sometimes, but they can't get out so I just drop them off at a shelter or alongside the highway.
>>2133225
>If my cat was doing that to other peoples property than i would promptly do something about it
you don't supervise your cats so you have no clue what they're doing.

it's impossible for a cat to NOT do damage when it's outdoors.
>>
File: karl_foerster_garten_original.jpg (236 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
karl_foerster_garten_original.jpg
236 KB, 800x600
>>2133225
>correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that good? fertilizes and puts nutrients in the soil?
no, cat shit kills plants.

it'll also give toxoplasmosis to the people eating those vegetables.

you're so shitty as neighbour, that not only are you damaging their property, fucking over the entire ecosystem you're also giving them brain parasites.

you're literally poisoning your neighbours.
>>
>>2133217
I like snakes and I like watching them
plus every snake-species is protected in my country

>>2133225
Great to hear, that you would care
yes, I was thinking that because of your replies, sorry

I thought about the fencing, but I can't use fine enough mesh size to stop the cats, because I have many plants which breat the water surface up to 1.5 meters high, so I can't really stick them trough.

I'm fine with them, if they would only eat the small fish, which breed really well anyways.
In fact, some snakes eat them too.
But if they go after my gars, I don't like them anymore. And they did, they even injured the bigger ones.
they also killed my twelve year old rescued catfish two days ago

Do you think a small electric fence close to the waters edge would help?
Or is there any repellent I could use?

I just want them to stay away from my fish

As for the vegetables.
Cat poop is too strong to be used as fertilizer, that's why usually Horse dung is used.
Also, I think that cat poop on/under my vegetables is not very healthy
>>
>>2133236
>>2133214
this anon again

>>2133229
I fenced my property off too, with a double rod fence and webbing as visual cover
but the cats crawl either under it or over it
But I'm thinking about putting barbed wire under it now. Maybe they'll stay away then

well, dropping them off at the highway seems like a bit much, hahah
>>
>>2133243
>but the cats crawl either under it
use holly leaves or just lower your fence.
>well, dropping them off at the highway seems like a bit much
not all shelters will accept them so it's the only way to get rid of them humanely.
>>
>>2133054
did the vet call?
>>
is that there duckling dead?
>>
>>2133236
Here's the solution!

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=goZ2DqMnaGc
>>
>>2133432
link brings me to youtube homepage
>>
>>2133230
You're the most overdramatic idiot I've ever had the displeasure of talking to, shut up and get a job
>>2133236
If there was a repellent in a can and you coul spray it without doing damage to the water I wouldn't know about it, as for electric fence I'd say it's worth a try, just make sure it's not in a position to fall over
>>2133415
Vet has not called yet, they should call by the end of today, still hoping
>>
I'm always a sucker for a utahraptor
>>
>>2133229
I'm sure my neighbours would let me know if my cat was doing any damage as I'm friendly with my neighbourhood
>>
All my life I've been terrified of baby birds. They're so fucking disgusting looking and they smell like clean diapers. I fucking do not like looking at them, disgusting
>>
I wish negligent pet owners like >>2133128 weren't allowed to own cats. It's the easiest thing ever to walk your cat on a leash if it loves the outdoors so much. I used to do it 3-4 times a day before we built the catio. Why get a pet if you're just gonna put it outside and ignore it for most of its short life.
>>
Neighbor has feral cats that come onto my property, I just catch them in one of those trap cages and take them out into the woods to shoot them.
Tired of the piss being sprayed on my vintage cars/shop/plants/everything. I've gotten 16 so far, and I know there's more.
>>
>>2133544
>only argument is ad hominem

typical cat owner.

grow up.
>>
>>2133785
I can't be bothered arguing with losers who know nothing of others circumstances yet judge them based on how they look after a cat, which I look after mine.
>>
>>2133581
I bet your parents wish you would just die
>>
>>2133592
Good on you, they are pests
>>
>>2133484
Huh...

Well the vid is 'how to stop cats forever-the extreme party popper craig turner
>>
>>2133831
that is fucking awesome (and funny as hell)

Thanks for sharing
I wish I had the time to build one of these
But If I do one day, I'll videotape it and post it on /an/
>>
Op here, I'm done arguing about cats, i really don't give a shit.

Vet still hasn't called back, i would imagine they would have called by now if the bird had died or maybe it's in a particular case where it is too soon to tell. Hoping he is fine.

waiting patiently.
>>
>>2133785
Hey that's a lie, if it were up to me, i'd own a dog and still insult idiots whose lives revolve around what others do, like yourself.
>>
>>2133841
So you're saying that you hate my cat? Fuck you.
>>
>>2133859
i love your cat mate, love most animals, except jellyfish, they fucking suck.
>>
>>2133592
vintage plants? wut?
>>
Op here.
The vet called today.
Leroy survived all the bacteria and was living but they discovered he had a terribly fractured wing so they apparently had no option but to put him down as fractured wings are detrimental to a baby bird.

Rest easy little guy, i will never forget comforting you on the way to the vet, petting you and making sure your head stopped shaking, i hope you were not in too much pain.

Thank you Leroy, for showing me there's so much more beauty in the natural world than i thought.

Fly away Leroy.
>>
>>2134829
:(
>>
>>2134829
What did we learn today?

That a hammer and garbage bag are a lot cheaper and quicker, hopefully.
>>
File: 1402335468649.gif (3 MB, 350x349) Image search: [Google]
1402335468649.gif
3 MB, 350x349
>>2134829
Goddamnit OP you tried.

I know that means nothing coming from a stranger but I'm glad people like you exist.
>>
>>2136686
right, except it was no money out of my pocket
>>2136747
Thank you, it means more than you think.
>>
>>2133054
Ive got 3 outdoor cats so wounded birds/animals are common. Like others have said before they rarely survive because cats have nasty mouths. We have had 2 survivals though. The first one was a adolesant rabbit who was only minorly nibbed in the leg and grabbed. Didnt break skin. He survived for a week in my sisters room and then we let him out in the park. Second one was an adult (first year) rabbit who my big tom brought in. Rushed her to the vet and with antibiotics and the luck that we cleaned Nemo's teeth the day before the rabbit lived and is still alive 4 years later.
>>
>>2133842
with all that replying it seems like your life is revolving a bit around him
>>
>>2137180
no money out of your pocket but out the vets, medicine and time that couldve been used for something else
>>
>>2137280
>couldve been used for something else
haha, either life is precious or it isn't, dipshit. Make up your mind.
>>
>>2137280
cry more
>>
>>2133067
there is no proof of komodo dragon spit being anything special
>>
>>2138907
there's plenty.
>>
>>2133225

cat shit and piss is toxic to plants and animals
>>
>>2138909
gimme
>>
>>2138910
>cat shit and piss is toxic to plants and animals
no, it's really not.
>>
>>2138953
it's so concentrated that it's poison.

so yes, it really is.
>>
>>2138953

except that it is, i get it you know nothing about plants and think your cat should be free to roam and shit and piss in your neighbors' yards for some reason, but it is toxic and it does cause damage

what i don't understand is why so many cat owners expect their neighbors to pay the price for them choosing to own a cat, they have this mentality where their neighbors should pay for fencing to keep their cat out rather than them pay to keep their cats in their own yard, their neighbors should just deal with what their cats destroy, their neighbors should put up with a cat they don't own in their yard and so on

if you can't supervise your cat when you let it out, then pay to keep it in an enclosure, it's your pet you should try taking care of it yourself then don't have one, get a fish or a reptile if you're too busy for anything else
>>
>>2137299
then why let your cats kill birds?
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.