[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are those domesticated Russian foxes really domesticated? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: piebald_fox.jpg (91 KB, 650x445) Image search: [Google]
piebald_fox.jpg
91 KB, 650x445
Are those domesticated Russian foxes really domesticated?

I've heard some people say no because domestication takes thousands of millions of years, and other people say yes because the reason other animals took so long to be domesticated is because we didn't know a damn thing about domesticating animals, but now we know about how it works and genetics so the process can be shortened considerably

Even if these foxes aren't domesticated, is it theoretically possible to domesticate a wild animal in under a thousand years? A hundred years?

I'm not looking into getting a pet fox or anything, before you accuse me of it. I'm just curious
>>
>thousands of millions of years

kek
>>
They're domesticated. They've been selectively bred for many generations to be friendly. That's all you really need to do to domesticate animals. Take a large population of whatever and only breed the ones that are curious, friendly and that don't show fear and aren't violent to people. Ta da.
>>
>>2132973
This. Domesticated =/= good pet or acts just like a dog though.
>>
>>2132978
They could still use a few more generations to improve. Work in progress. But they definitely achieved domestication.
>>
It's really weird that you can do this by seemingly just picking the less adrenaline producing foxes. But it is probably more complex under the hood.

Still I wonder how much this has happened with humans over the ages.
>>
>>2132993
>Still I wonder how much this has happened with humans over the ages.
The reason people had so many children hundreds of years ago is that they'd weed out the violent / nasty ones and drown them. Hence why we've been becoming more 'progressive' over time.
>>
>>2133014
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Still with the shit that went on in Middle ages and earlier, when human life wasn't worth much and wrong doers were dealt with rather harshly... you kind of wonder if that did have an effect on our gene pool. I guess more likely it is that the "good" got it just well, if they happened to have the wrong religion or commit some other trivial thoughtcrime.

I'm not sure how likely it was for someone wicked to pass on their genes back then. These days bastard born from rape will get social benefits, back then I would imagine starvation would be a high possibility since it was man that was supposed to provide.
>>
>>2132839
Yes, the Belyeav Institute foxes are mostly domesticated, but any group outside of that experiment that claims their foxes are domesticated are full of shit. Belyeav foxes are automatically spayed/neutered when sold to consumers, and are ONLY sold to further the research done by the institute.
>>
>>2133014
>The reason people had so many children hundreds of years ago is that they'd weed out the violent / nasty ones and drown them. Hence why we've been becoming more 'progressive' over time
You're delusional, the reason people had kids in batches of 8 is because due to unsanitary conditions and unsafe lifestyles, usually only one or two would survive.

A lot of the "progressive" stuff is new as a byproduct of the self esteem movement and has little to nothing to do with weeding out bad kids.
>>
>>2132973
Do they still also breed the nastiest foxes together or do they only keep the friendliest ones now?

>>2132981
They're already so much different tho. Like fluffier tails, more expressive ears and they still yip at people and play even when they're adults.
>>
File: Seriosuly Nigger?.gif (8 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Seriosuly Nigger?.gif
8 KB, 600x450
>>2132839
>thousands of millions of years
>>
File: 5koAv3H.jpg (262 KB, 780x1130) Image search: [Google]
5koAv3H.jpg
262 KB, 780x1130
>>2132839
You underestimate brainwashing power of russian KGB.
>>
>>2133014
Please tell me that's a joke
>>
>>2133014
I know this is bait but I still laugh when I see anyone declare that human nature has changed or is changing.

Nigga there's dick jokes in pompeii and ancient egypt, we're still the same assholes we were thousands of years ago and nothing's gonna change that.
>>
>>2133576
>Nigga there's dick jokes in pompeii and ancient egypt, we're still the same assholes we were thousands of years ago and nothing's gonna change that.

>pompeii
>ancient egypt
>both agricultural, metal-using societies
>still representative for the entire human history, even the hundreds of thousands of years of hunting-gathering
Nice long-term perspective, anon.
>>
>>2133870
I feel like it's more productive to try and figure out ways to progress society in ways that work *with* existing human nature, instead of trying to pretend we can somehow be above all that if we believe in it hard enough. I think any system that fails as soon as any greed or selfishness is involved is inherently a flawed system.
>>
>>2133877
I'm not trying to argue that humanity would somehow be "above" our given biological conditions. I am, however, highly sceptical towards anyone who tries to give their own ideologies legitimity by pleas to a given "human nature". Especially so because these people usually don't base their claims on actual science, but rather on anectotal evidence(i.e. "there are dick jokes in Pompeii, therefore dick jokes are part of human nature").
>>
>>2133882
Fair enough.
>>
File: Venus-of-Schelklingen.jpg (8 KB, 351x258) Image search: [Google]
Venus-of-Schelklingen.jpg
8 KB, 351x258
>>2133870
Even before we were an agrarian society we were still pretty much the same way. This is the oldest piece of known human figurative art, and it is an idol of a lady holding her tits up for the observer.

Crude jokes are eternal, man.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Hohle_Fels )
>>
All they have to do is make a domestic animal worth 6 figures, and they will have domesticated everything from crickets to giraffes in a few months.

It's the same field as GMOs. People have been perfecting crops since the days of BC. Keeping the strongest seeds, throwing out the weaker junk and not replanting it. Science comes along, and we just covered 10,000 years of selective evolution in 10.

Those behavioral traits are neatly filed away, the same as a crop's resistance to disease or yield percentage. Make it worth money, and you bet your ass they will find it and give you the coolest fucking pets ever in 2 or 3 years. For a price.

Otherwise, give it 50 years and it will be done. I'd put money on it.
>>
>>2134030
Your interpretation of the venus figurines is far from mainstream, anon. You might as well say that all women are walking sex jokes per definition, because of their large breasts.

Really, the only common ground in the scholarly debate around the figurines is that they depict female bodies. Claiming that they are "crude jokes" just because of your own juvenile sense of humour (bigboobslol) is arbitrary to say the least.
>>
>>2132839
Domesticated is literally a euphemism for selectively bred.
These foxes have been selectively bred for having traits similar to dogs, most notably friendliness.

>>2134038
What this guy says. It is just a matter of how long it takes to get from generation to generation. Foxes, compared to many animals, have relatively short reproductive cycles.
>>
File: 1351178227311.jpg (54 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1351178227311.jpg
54 KB, 1000x1000
>>2134045
Crude jokes are usually just, "That's what she said"

It's not far from truth.
And keep in mind that the "Mainstream" historians still share a building AND funding with feminizm.
>>
Henifer Lopez has fur farms in south america. Cunt. Anyway the foxes in those cages after just a few years of non-selective breeding started gaining a dog's "doink" in their tail ruining the constitution of expensive fur. They're just dogs.
If you look for it youll find the video.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.