[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tarantulas and Arachnids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 20160517_134027.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
20160517_134027.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Post your pictures and stories of pet or wild tarantulas, true spiders, scorpions, mygalomorphs and other spiders.
>>
File: image.jpg (1019 KB, 2448x1914) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1019 KB, 2448x1914
With pleasure
>>
>>2132194

Nice, Brazilian Black?
>>
Stick to stories. The less pictures the better.
>>
What do you all think is an ideal set up for an obt? Ive had arboreal and terrestrial tarantulas and ive had enclosures for them depending on that, but when my obt was less than 2 inches it was in a rather square like set up, with some branches in there, and it made a sort of nest with web and was always on the top, when it had enough substrate to dig, if you opened the top you couldnt even see the ground, web everywhere, it had a second floor of web. Well now that my obt is 3.4 inches it is in a larger home which is vertical now, with nice branches for it to do the same thing, but now that it has the vertical space it decided to dig a hole and is always buried, the branches arent webbbed at all, just a whole webbed in the ground. Since its growing fast it will soon be 4+ and i want a new home for him, while Im sure that it will do well in both since its always active and eats well, Im just wondering, should i go for vertical or horizontal?

This isnt a serious issue just want to hear your opinions and thoughts on it or stories
>>
>>2132278
Nope actually a B. vagans
>>
File: image.jpg (964 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
964 KB, 2448x2448
Any idea what this might be? I saw it outside and, despite how small it is, it caught my eye. I'm struggling to google it, but it had a orangish spot under its abdomen.
>>
>>2132564

looks like an orb weaver.
>>
So I found something strange.

I was at work and found a house spider web outside. So I find a carpenter ant and toss it in and watch as the spider runs out from its little hiding hole and grabs the ant and drags it back into the hole. Pretty normal stuff.

So after a couple days of feeding it ants I toss one in there and the spider runs out but it doesn't attack the ant. It just stands there looking at it and then nonchalantly turns around and walks back into its hiding hole. Kinda funny but whatever.

The next day I look in on the spider and its not in its hole. It is just sitting on the edge of its web out in the open. Then I see the ant (I assume it was the same one) walk out of the hole and walk around on the web. It went right up beside the spider which didn't react and then turned around and went back into the spider hole. I figured the spider was either sick or had a parasite or some shit causing it to act strangely. I keep looking in throughout the day and its always on the edge of the web. I tried scaring it and it ran back in its hole but then went back to the edge later.

The next day I check and the spider is not on the edge of the web. I figure it is either in its hole or dead and there is only one way to tell. I grab and ant and toss it in the web and now it gets really weird. Instead of the spider 2 carpenter ants run out of the hiding hole and attack and kill the one I just threw in there. They then proceed to carry the dead ant back into the hole.

I have been throwing ants in webs for 23 years and I have never seen anything like this. Is this an actual thing that happens or just a weird ass occurrence?
>>
>>2132651
Spider molting? That would be my best guess
>>
>>2132564
It's an orchard orbweaver.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.