[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time on this board. I need help. I found a snake in my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: snek_in_barn.jpg (600 KB, 1652x2139) Image search: [Google]
snek_in_barn.jpg
600 KB, 1652x2139
First time on this board. I need help.
I found a snake in my poll barn that didn't look like the Garter snakes I find around here. And is there a way to keep them out of the barn?

Picture is the snek.
>>
There's repellents you can buy at any home improvement store or garden center that's supposed to keep them away.

All of those repellents are crapshoots though. Good luck.
>>
>>2130433
How the fuck have you been running a a farm without a barn snake to begin with?
>>
>>2130433
That's a corn snake and they eat mice. If I were you, I'd leave it alone; it's free rodent control.
>>
>>2130435
Its a pool barn
>>
>>2130433
Where in the country do you live? It's obviously a rat snake, but what type is of interest to me.

As for keeping them out, you probably can't with 100% success so long as there are holes big enough for them to fit through.
>>
>>2130456
Lower Michigan
>>
as >>2130436 & >>2130436 said probably a rat or corn snake it's harmless and will probably get rid of some rodents so just leave it be.
>>
>>2130433
Did you catch it? Post a pic of the head if you can. It looks like a regular gopher snake. As for keeping them out, just find out how it got in. Check the foundation for holes, make sure the floor is solid, etc. and be nice to snek plz no kill
>>
>>2130433
Wouldn't you prefer a snake? They kill rats and mice. Unless it's in your chicken coop, that may be an issue
>>
File: IMG_0162.jpg (982 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0162.jpg
982 KB, 2448x3264
>>2130474
Even if it's in the chicken coop, the worst it'll do is have an egg once in a while.

They're not that into chicks. I have a pet corn and she didn't care for the (dethawed) chick I offered her.

OP, you got yourself an Okeetee corn.

Just let it be. They're super sweet snakes.
>>
>>2130470
Nah It went through a crack. Lower picture has its head.

>>2130474
I wanted to leave it. but my aunt didn't like it.

>>2130487
It was more feisty than a garter. It stood its ground.
>>
>>2130487
Also it was over a foot long
>>
>>2130494

Why is that a problem?
>>
>>2130500
Just thought it could help.
>>
File: Adult Corn.jpg (258 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
Adult Corn.jpg
258 KB, 1024x640
>>2130490
Well, of course it stood its ground, you came upon it and it's seeing you as a treat.

My tame, captive-bred corn does the same.

But she calms down quickly once she realizes I'm just reaching in to feed her.

I come from Scottish farm stock and here in the Midwest we just let them be. Unless they're wrecking havoc in your chicken coop or whatever, corn/ratsnakes are really good at keeping mice away from grain stores.

Besides, if you saw one corn, there's bound to be more. You'll spend energy getting rid of one, for three to show up.

Just let it be, lad.
>>
>>2130509
Like I said before. I don't care if they make their way in the poll barn. I love snakes. My aunt does care though. She doesn't know if it was poisonous or anything. Ill tell her they are beneficial.

We were cleaning up when we found it.
>>
>>2130518
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/Corn-Snake/

Here ya go.

Hope it goes well for you (and snake)
>>
>>2130525
Thanks. Though the snake is gone.
>>
>>2130487
>They're not that into chicks
then the snake and OP should get along nicely
>>
POLE BARN
POLE BARN
POLE BARN

Christ, it's called a pole barn. Not a poll or pool barn.
>>
>>2130563
it'll be back when the mice are back
>>
Friendly reminder to everyone that THERE ARE NO CORN SNAKES IN MICHIGAN lol. Michigan is far out of their native range. Location, location, location.

The care should be generally the same, but that is certainly NOT a "corn snake" (Pantherophis guttatus).

Giving a good two seconds of my time, I checked the Michigan DNR website and found that this snake is very probably an "eastern milk snake" (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum).

I could be wrong, but I'm closer than everyone who is saying corn snake. Good luck with your new pal. :)
>>
>>2130686
Uh, it could very well be a corn snake, considering 'corn snake' is just a trade name and people let loose pets all the time.

It even has the coloring of an Okeetee morph.
>>
>>2130433

Clearly a black mamba, OP is already dead.
>>
>>2130739
10/10 prime rationalization

OP would have better luck at winning the powerball jackpot ten times in a row than finding someone's released pet snake in his pooooolll barn.

/an/ would argue with a stump it if made them feel less foolish.
>>
>>2130747
Bro, I'm going for my Master's in Wildlife & Fisheries (Eco) and I work for my local conservation department.

I'm making fun of the THERE ARE NO CORN SNAKES IN MICHIGAN part because 1) borders mean shit to animals and 2) there aren't supposed to be Burms and Nile Crocodiles in the Everglades either, yet...

Also, global warming is causing snake populations to spread further north. It's fascinating stuff.

Either way, it's a colubrid and OP got themselves a sweet mice eater.
>>
>>2130440
*pole barn.
>>
>>2130748
>there aren't supposed to be Burms and Nile Crocodiles in the Everglades either, yet...
what would you say the odds are of finding either one in your ppppoooollll barn?

like I said.
Powerball jackpot ten times in a row.
>I'm going for my Master's in Wildlife & Fisheries (Eco) and I work for my local conservation department.
I'm sure they'll find you a nice cubicle job where you can't fuck anything up.
>>
>>2130759
Anyways, coolest snake-related story I have from work is a local office calling us to remove a 'poisonous snake'

It was a fucking ball python.
>>
>>2130762
coolest one I have is finding a western terrestrial garter above 11,000 feet on wet tundra. That was a rare and lost snek. I go back each year hoping to find the highest population of snakes in the US. 15 years, no luck.
>>
>>2130763
Should've kept that snake. It's like a shiny Pokemon.
>>
>>2130748
That's all well and good, but the snake is not Pantherophis guttatus, nor are "corn snakes" massively (or even occasionally) migrating to a state with a SNOWY WINTER which only recently ended. Geography.

Aside from the patterning, it hardly even resembles the species. It's understandable that people initially said "corn snake" given that species' popularity in the pet trade, but my asking for OP's location threw that level of speculation out the window. Don't defend that with weird rationalizations and subtle claiming of authority.

Also, congrats on your career path. I hope that you find it fulfilling. :) (sorry for the apparent mood swing I just genuinely wish you luck)
>>
>>2130672
Not this individual unless snakes can eat without a head
>>
kill it
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.