[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found a snail. Are they easy to keep alive or should I throw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 20160523_100159[1].jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160523_100159[1].jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
I found a snail. Are they easy to keep alive or should I throw it in the grass outside?
>>
I rarely hear anyone taking care of snails and I can only assume there are reasons for that. Just leave the poor thing outside and after maybe some research if you can find another one you can try to keep it alive.

If you want to be evil though you can leave it outside with a circle of salt around of it.
>>
>>2128345
I figured it'd just be neat to look at since they seem like really chill creatures
>>
>>2128342
That's a slug.

Also, they're super easy to take care of.
>>
>>2128349
Yeah. Did some digging and looks like its a leopard slug. Also it gets pretty big so I dunno if I wanna deal with that. It's currently about 2 inches long which is about as big as I'd like it to be if I wanted to keep it around
>>
I'm keeping it in a plastic bottle for now. I put a few drops of water in it and that piece of lettuce and closed it off with a piece of toilet paper I peeled in half
I think I'm gonna leave it in the grass at my lunch break
>>
>>2128366
Lettuce is shit, it's basically just water.

Just pick some plants/weeds from your garden.
>>
>>2128384
Yeah. The slug isn't eating the lettuce.
There's some Chinese yam here. Should I try that?
>>
It ate a bit of the lettuce.
I have a small plastic container that I think I'll keep it in.
I'll fill it with dirt, leaves and stuff tomorrow as a temporary measure
I think I'll drop by a thrift store later to see if I can find a cheap aquarium
>>
Dude, let him go.
>>
>>2128913
It's a fucking slug. It's not terrible of him to keep it as a pet. Besides, OP might actually learn some really cool things and then get a biology degree or something awesome.

OP - Get a lid for your container. The fuckers can climb like mad. And if you don't want to come home to a dried out slug on your carpet, you're going to have to contain it.
>>
Easy to keep, but they are boring and smell bad. Cleaning often is essential. I don't recommend it, you will get bored quickly.
>>
File: 20160524_124143[1].jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160524_124143[1].jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Quick update if anyone's interested
Found a small plastic container I'll be keeping it in until I can get to a thrift store or something and find a larger one
I think it's sleeping now
I got a lid for it which I poked a shitload of holes in it with a safety pin, and I've been opening the top just in case it wasn't enough ventilation
Also been spraying some water in it to try to keep the inside moist
>>
Make sure you put plenty of salt on its food. You shouldn't use the iodized salt since that causes a ph imbalance, but it's very important to have some to maintain molecular osmosis.
>>
I think it just laid some eggs or something
That's a small clump of balls near what I think is its butt
>>
>>2128345
i know about people "breeding" them in france and germany (for food) and its not really a challenge.
>>
>>2129477
I hate to break this to you but ..shes not a snail.

Its a Slug. And it just scammed you into taking care of her sluglets.
>>
>>2129212
stop trying to kill anon's new pet
>>
>>2128347
why the fuck would anyone want to look at a slug.

I mean for fuck's sake you can't even tell the difference between a slug and a snail.

Have you never gone outside before? Do you live in a bubble? Do you know the difference between an ant and spider?
>>
File: slug is perfect.jpg (119 KB, 904x655) Image search: [Google]
slug is perfect.jpg
119 KB, 904x655
>>
Slugs/snails re incredibly easy to keep. There's a breeding population of slugs in my terrarium I didn't even realize I had. just keep their environment moist so they don't dry out and toss them some food once in awhile. dunno what the hell the one sin my terrarium are eating, but they seem to be doing ok with just random leaf litter at the bottom.
>>
>>2129210
Cute. You gave it a little plant.
>>
>>2129640
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.