[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help potty training a two year old black and tan coonhound.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160522_214517.jpg (2 MB, 2952x3373) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_214517.jpg
2 MB, 2952x3373
I need help potty training a two year old black and tan coonhound.

I adopted him about a month ago and at first he did fine. But recently he started pooping in the house almost every other day. I let him out on a regular basis but sometimes he will still go in the house.

Any suggestions or proven methods to help train him?
>>
Spank his butt and rub his nose in his poo. Dog's are smart. He'll get it. Also give him a treat when he poos outside. Positive reinforcement will do a lot more good than negative reinforcement. But negative reinforcement helps too.
>>
>>2128022
>Spank his butt and rub his nose in his poo

Is this a joke?
>>
>>2128077
No, he doesn't. My dog learn it quickly with her nose full of her own pee
>>
>No, he doesn't. My dog learn it quickly with her nose full of her own pee

Learned to be scared of peeing because the weird ape thing gets angry and shoves her face in it
>>
>>2129159
DESU all of my dogs growing up learned this way.

Pee or shit in the house and they got yelled at, their face rubbed in it, told "No!" and then put outside.

It never failed.
>>
File: 1458065275025.jpg (41 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1458065275025.jpg
41 KB, 480x640
>>2129164
>>2128094
>>2128022
Please don't take advice from this retarded piece of (human?) filth.

You need to encourage good behavior, ie. if your dog poops outside you need to theatrically be happy about it and reward him and tell him what a good boy he is, every single time. He will then make the connection that pooping outside = good, which is infinitely better than what that retard before suggested (pooping inside = bad).
>>
OP, don't listen to PETA. It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can combine positive reinforcement of good behavior with gentle negative reinforcement of undesirable behavior. Every moment is trainable, not just the good ones.

However if you are a peta/hippie/new age faggot and against any type of negative reinforcement I would recommend crate training. It is a good way to minimize chances of accidents while optimizing the number of chances for positive reinforcement.

Good luck
>>
>>2129226
What is suggested positive punishment itt is not advised by anyone who knows how to train dogs. That is because the potential negative effects are utterly impossible to deal with (a dog scared of peeing when people are around, a dog thinking it has to pee where people can't see it, etc)due to the association. Positive punishment shouldn't really be used on pet hounds IMO anyways, they are incredibly susceptible to getting fearful.
>>
>>2128020
give him a treat when he poops outside. get it in his mouth within 2 or 3 seconds of him finishing. get it ready while hes shitting. this will encourage pooping outside

yell at him as soon as you notice him pooping inside and take him out right away.

crate train him so you can always have your eye on him when he's out of the crate so he never gets away with shitting in the house. he wont shit in his crate more than once unless he really can't hold it.
>>
>>2129226
It depends on the dog. My dog doesn't respond to positive punishment or negative reinforcement in the slightest. Only positive reinforcement works on him. This isn't isolated either. Many dogs simply don't respond to these kind of training techniques and will only learn through positive ones.

Yes, some dogs respond to these harsher training techniques, but not all do. However, every dog responds to positive reinforcement. Why not suggest a "one size fits all" training technique instead of one that works for some dogs but not all?

If it works for your dog, then great. Use those techniques. But for many dogs, HOUNDS IN PARTICULAR, it just doesn't do shit.
>>
>>2128020

Return it to the pet store.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.