[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zookeepers shoot two lions to save suicidal man who jumped into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: lion.jpg (778 KB, 1180x842) Image search: [Google]
lion.jpg
778 KB, 1180x842
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/22/two-zoo-lions-shot-and-killed-after-mauling-suicidal-naked-man

Was it right to kill the lions to save the man? Is a human life unconditionally worth more than an animal ditto, regardless of what they do?
>>
I think this was probably the worst probable outcome, the suicidal man is a lost cause, he's going to kill himself somehow regardless and natural selection would have killed him then and there.

Antagonising predatory animals is stupid in the first place and I wouldn't shoot animals to save a stupid human ever.

But then again my moral compass is normally skewed.
>>
If they allowed the lions to kill the man, they would get people pissy at their decision as well. This is a lose-lose situation for the zoo. It is a choice between getting shat on by normal people and the law or get what on by rabid animal lovers who put human life below lion life.

It's all that stupid suicidal asshole's fault either way. What a piece of shit. If only he outed himself in his house.
>>
the zookeepers should have immediately used tranquilizers, instead of used a waterhose first. that way the man would have not been near enough to get hit yet
>>
>>2127531
>Is a human life unconditionally worth more than an animal ditto, regardless of what they do?

1000 times yes.
>>
>>2127542
Tranquillisers take a few minutes to put an animal to sleep. Stupid Man would have died.

What are you, a 14 year old?
>>
File: 1457100170734.jpg (43 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1457100170734.jpg
43 KB, 499x499
>be man
>finally decide that my life is not worth living anymore
>decide to end it all
>pay one last visit to the zoo, i'm an animal lover
>view the majestic lions, decide to die for something useful
>and feed them, become a part of their bodies forever and the circle of life
>jump in
>zookeepers shoot the lions
>still alive
>lions are dead
>>
>>2127545
This.

It is easy to understand why any animal would value their own species , their own group, or themselves over anything else from an evolutionary perspective.

Humans placing value on other humans is understandable biologically. Humans placing high value on non human animals is due to feelings derived from a sheltered, priviliged, poor education upbringing.
>>
>>2127548
>Humans placing high value on non human animals is due to feelings derived from a sheltered, priviliged, poor education upbringing.

Or just an understanding that it doesn't fucking matter in the end, every living thing will be dead in 150 years and life will go on until it doesn't.
>>
>>2127549
You're bad at being nihilistic.
>>
Plus the fact that there are 30,000 lions left in the world and over 7 billion retarded humans increases the value of lion life over human life, IMO
>>
>>2127549
Plenty of living things have lifespans in excess of 150 years.
>>
That was stupid, the idiot is just going to kill himself somewhere else later.
>>
>>2127546
>Tranquillisers take a few minutes to put an animal to sleep.
Everyone knows this. This is common sense. Stupid man deserved to die. They should've just used tranqs and let stupid man die, not KILL THEIR FUCKING LIONS.
>What are you, a 14 year old?
>>
>>2127547
:(
>>
>Was it right to kill the lions
Absolutely.

Don't those dumb cats know assisted suicide is illegal?
>>
The zookeepers could've had charges pressed against them by the state or the family of the man if he was killed.

It was purely CYA. Everyone knows that those lions are worth more than some asshat that doesn't want to live.

On another note, the zoo can and should prosecute that fuckwad for as much as his life insurance is worth.
>>
The thing is the lions were likely doomed either way as soon as the guy jumped in. If they killed them there would likely be a call to put them down since they'd be mankillers. It was a no win situation and I'm sure the zookeepers feel like shit over it.
>>
humans have rights
Lions don't
>>
Anyone who would "side" with the lions are probably against zoos even existing in the first place.
Lions would gladly kill you and everyone you know. The fact that these hotshots got put down to rob them of that opportunity puts a bit of a smile on my face. I hope the guy recovers and gets sued, but my guess is the zoo is just fucked on this one.
>>
File: 1444052954731.jpg (39 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1444052954731.jpg
39 KB, 400x250
>can't even do suicide right without failing and causing more devastation for society
>>
>>2127547
And it's all your fault for being a short-sighted fucking moron
>>
>>2127559
or even 5000 years
>>
>>2127548
rich dudes in America going on safari are parasites destroying the society in which I live. lions in africa have not done anything to harm me or my family in a few thousand years, if ever.
>>
>>2127548

>is due to feelings derived from a sheltered, priviliged, poor education upbringing.

Yeah mate and I bet you donate all of your money to charity every week. Oh whats that? You don't? You only pretend to care about other people?

Biologically speaking we are ONLY wired to care about family and friends.
>>
>>2127538
If he had outed himself at his house he'd be gay and suicidal.
>>
>>2127864
Who the fuck mentioned hunting? Are you completely retarded?
Nobody mentioned hunting in this thread before you
>>
>>2127869
Do you donate all your money to protect animals?
If you open a zoo and let normal people walk in around dangerous animals you have a legal obligation to protect the people in no matter what
This goes beyond the lion's being pretty and fluffy and the human being suicidal. It would be incredibly irresponsible for the zoo to let something like this slide, do you think it would have remained open after this? What do you think would have happened to each and every animal there?
>>
File: 1462799804122s.jpg (10 KB, 172x200) Image search: [Google]
1462799804122s.jpg
10 KB, 172x200
Sad thing is that the one way nothing had happened was if the zoo keepers have called the police as soon that guy started, under alcohol influence, undress and being a mock of himself rather than wait for him to do something dangerous like the shit he did.

And even more there was a report that my country has a high rate of people with depression/mental problems, but suddenly a person under mental problems wants to die and people don't have empathy for him? I hate my country.
>>
>>2127531
They should gave shot the man
>>
File: 1462661848163.png (179 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
1462661848163.png
179 KB, 500x358
>>2128001
They did shot the man. A tranquilizer dart meant for the lions.
>>
Chilean here.

We all thought the guy was suicidal because of his attitude and because he was carrying something that looked like a suicidal note.
Turns out the guy wasn't suicidal, he was just crazy.
In his mind, he thought he could speak with the lions and could walk among them like one of those prophets of the Bible.
All our media is showing the drawings and his ramblings. Everybody is even angrier than before (is such thing is possible) because now the guy, who unfortunately survided almost unscratched, will believe that he survived because he's Jesus Christ reincarnated.

Here's a non-gore vid, you can see the naked guy hugging a lion. No, the lions don't attack the guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyuQoghS5S8

Supposedly one of the female lions attacked him because she was nervous.
A zoo sniper killed only the two lions that were closer to the guy; there were other lions in the cage.

Now, I've seen zoos in other places. The one in Buenos Aires is pretty cool, the one in Mendoza is awful. This one (Santiago de Chile's) is kinda in the middle. Conditions are not particularly bad: the lions won't escape and children cannot fall in the cage nor put their hands through, etc. But it's not crazy-proof. This was a very unfortunate incident, which is unlikely to repeat itself.

Anyway, animal protection movements have a lot of influence in Chile so they will use this incident to bring attention on the issues of animal treatment.
They were already preparing for a march on May 28th to ask the president to completely forbid circuses from using "domesticated animals". They will probably ask the governement to close zoos.

I don't know what to think of Zoos. I believe they are a thing of the past, needed when kids didn't had access to TVs and Internet. They do have a lot of positive aspects, including investigation, non-domestical animal medical care, etc. Not sure what will happen. I'll admit I don't like going to the zoo because I find it's depressing.
>>
>>2128003
We were told that tranquilizer darts had a slow effect.

I believe some decades ago a kid fell into the polar bear pool and was killed. They just priorized saving human lifes over the animal's. I like how such a rule is questioned in this days.
>>
>>2128562
This story got better. Thank you for the details!
>>
>>2128562
Shouldve shot him for being a stupid schizo who will contribute nothing to society and either waste millions in hospital care or become another dreg on the street

Faggots
>>
>>2128578
Everybody is saying "they should have shot him instead of the lions".
If they are so brave, I'm sure the guy will be killed as soon as he makes it out of the hospital.
But nobody's taking one for the team.

But, if the guy shows no regret or if we see him lurking other zoos, then and only then he'll probably get lynched.
>>
>>2127531
>a human life unconditionally worth more than an animal ditto, regardless of what they do?
financially, yes.
>>
Sing this so they can close the fucking Zoo

https://www.change.org/p/chile-no-mas-trato-inhumano-firma-para-clausurar-el-zool%C3%B3gico-metropolitano?recruiter=512435342&utm_source=petitions_share&utm_medium=copylink
>>
I'm sure their backs were against a wall legally, but it would have been better if they let nature take its course.

>>2127545
so you would sacrifice your pets to save the life of some nigger who raped your anus and stole your wallet?

actually, a fag like you probably would and then tip him for it lol

>>2128581
>But nobody's taking one for the team.
Well no shit, the damage has been done. Guy shouldn't step foot in a zoo ever again though.
>>
Good. We allow Lions to live thanks to good publicity, imagine the irreparable damage with another headline that reads "Lion eats visitor at Zoo"
>>
File: 1429831828275.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1429831828275.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
Well, what did you expect them to do? Do nothing? Sit and watch as the lions kill him? Or are you one of the people in this thread who think they should shoot people who enter enclosures?

They tried to keep the lions away from the guy but it wasn't enough, there's nothing they could have done. Zoos can't exist if you prioritize animal lives over human lives, even in situations like these. Blame the retard for jumping into the enclosure, not the zoo (aka the victim).
>>
>>2128837
How is killing a wild animal to save a human the same as killing a dog you raised because he wants to bite (not kill) someone who harmed you?
>>
>>2128874
I don't know, but that's what "unconditional" means.
>>
>>2128881
Yeah as long as the dog was a threat to Bother persons life (and that other persons life wasn't a threat to me) I would stop him by any means even killing him.
It wouldn't be the dog taking a life, it would be you taking a life by proxy of your dog weapon
>>
>>2127554
That's assuming a human and lion are worth the same in the first place.
>>
>>2127716
Why? All they knew was someone was in the lion cage getting attacked by the lions. It's normal zoo protocol to do whatever it takes to save the person in that situation.
>>
>>2128895
The value of a human life according to US insurers is about $3,000,000.

you can buy a lot of lion lives for that much. About 300 wild lions per human I'd guess.
>>
File: d51ooIBQn1qihivo.gif (220 KB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
d51ooIBQn1qihivo.gif
220 KB, 320x238
>>2128565
>We were told that tranquilizer darts had a slow effect.

They do, just that in this case they gave to the darts a huge amount of anesthesia to make a lion sleep, but deadly enough to a human. Hence the dude ended in the hospital due a heart complication, besides for the injuries.

>>2128731
>change.org
Topkek
>>
>>2128888
So you would kill the last lion on earth to save the life of some random poacher?
>>
>>2127548
>Humans placing value on other humans is understandable
But too many of my fellow humans are dumb assholes, they don't even deserve to live.
>>
>>2127531
Its just an animal who cares if it dies.
>>
File: 1444427339817.png (2 MB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1444427339817.png
2 MB, 4500x4334
>>2127531
>Be Me
>Hate Animals for some fucking reasons.
>Decide to play a trick
>One day at zoo viewing disgusting lions
>Wait till the zookeepers see me
>Jump in and see the lions run towards me
>See the faggots get shot
>Will do this again for a critically endangered species next.
>>
>>2127531
Why the fuck would he choose lions to commit suicide?

I fucking hate people who commit suicide. They typically choose the most showy ways to do it and often fail.

Just grab a bottle of whiskey and a fucking gun then go out into an empty field
>>
If the Lions had killed the guy and tasted his flesh, that would make the zoo keepers job almost impossible
>>
One human life is worth the entirety of a species.
>>
An entire species being wiped out would bring devastation to its ecosystem, while humans die everyday. Entire species aren't wiped out everyday. You value human life a little too much.
>>
They should have killed the man to prevent the lions from being mankillers who would need to be put down regardless.
>>
>>2127531
See the conditions of that event again. And you answer is no. Fuck the zoo keeper and the autist that wanted to die this way.
>>
Where the fuck were the tranq guns
>>
>>2129084
If it's the last lion it doesn't matter much, it can't breed. You made too extreme a scenario.

The interesting thing with humans is that it's possible to turn a poacher into a conservationist. We all make mistakes.
>>
should have shot the guy T.B.H. (To Be Honest)
>>
This is why zoos should keep big predators in a glass enclosure as well as across a ditch.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.