[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think a T-Rex could be tamed if raised from birth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 16
Do you think a T-Rex could be tamed if raised from birth?
>>
>>2127185
yes, just like crocodiles can.
>>
Duh, of course they can.
>>
>>2127185
Yep,might need a muzzle,and electric collar, where there's a will there's a way.
>>
>>2127188
crocs are smarter than a t-rex was.

So... there's that. Enjoy a large, dumb, and instinct based apex predator.
>>
File: t-rex-struggles-with-laptop.png (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
t-rex-struggles-with-laptop.png
38 KB, 640x480
>>2127200
Most dinosaurs were about as smart crocodiles. Tyrannosaurus and coelurosaurs in general were smarter than most dinosaurs and was closer to bird intelligence than reptilian.
>>
File: pet T-Rex Wallpaper.jpg (363 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
pet T-Rex Wallpaper.jpg
363 KB, 1600x900
>>2127185
Very unlikely

It was a massive predatory animal in which was evidently very brutish and highly aggressive (possibly aggressive of all dinosaurs). Even based on so many injuries typically found with tyrannosaurs (evidently due to constant fighting among their own kind) show profound signs that they truly were tyrants that ruled and dominated by force. A tyrannosaurus would have little respect for something as miniscule as a human snack.

At best, we can contain them or even to a lesser degree train them. But seeing that even handling much more docile herbivorous elephants can be such a problem, there seem to be even less of a chance that something like tyrannosaurus could be trained safely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuGfeM5J3Hk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0YZQseAFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPmXrNuhbk
>>
these sort of threads are cancer.
>>
If people get killed by their pet Buck going out of control I don't think a Rex will be any better.
>>
File: rex brain.jpg (4 KB, 256x184) Image search: [Google]
rex brain.jpg
4 KB, 256x184
>>2127339
>Tyrannosaurus and coelurosaurs in general were smarter than most dinosaurs and was closer to bird intelligence than reptilian.
they're closer to eels than they are to birds.

hell, they're closer to eels than they are to most reptiles. These were some dumb motherfuckers.
>>
>>2127433
The hell are you on about?
>>
>>2127365
Any theropod threads are cancerous because because 'muh raptors and rexes'
>>
File: EQ2.jpg (74 KB, 700x550) Image search: [Google]
EQ2.jpg
74 KB, 700x550
>>2127468
I am on the hell about Tyrannosaurus EQ compared to eels, reptiles, and birds.
>>
>>2127479
No, they're cancerous because they always devolve into arguments about feathers and scales.
>>
>>2127185
Probably, you can tame large, modern reptiles. Just if you make a feeding mistake instead of needing a few stitches you'll lose your life.
>>
File: brain-size-evolution.jpg (152 KB, 1280x695) Image search: [Google]
brain-size-evolution.jpg
152 KB, 1280x695
>>2127433
It's not just brain size, otherwise elephants and dolphins would be much smarter than humans
It is also not necessarily brain mass relative to the body size. If that was entirely true, mice would be about as smart as orcas and genuine whales(having relatively small brains) would be dumber than hummingbirds(which have a similar brain size ratio to humans).

Brain development and complexity also play a large role. Certain parts of the brain are for different purposes. How the brain is wired also factors in how the brain operates

We know reptilian brains in general are more developed than fish or even amphibian's, but not as complex as bird's or mammal's. Now though there is some more recent studies showing that reptiles in general are probably smarter than we tend to credit them for (which may also help to prove dinosaurs in general were smarter as well), they still seem less intelligent than birds and mammals.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/reptiles-are-really-intelligent-we-were-just-giving-them-the-wrong-tests-180947769/?no-ist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZM2aVGIrvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afrr64gE0jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kutYdKZNJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-nw4qvnZVE
Dinosaurs seem to be more like the bridge between reptiles and birds. The further back their lineage(or rather lineage split), the more primitive they appear with smaller less developed brains.

More recent studies are showing dinosaurs to be a lot smarter than we thought, but it is really just for coelurosaurs. They seem to generally have the largest brain ratios and most complex brain structures of all known extinct dinosaurs. In comparison to sauropods or allosaurs, tyrannosaur and dromaeosaur brains were closer to birds than reptiles.
Now, this is not to say they were as smart as a crow, but they were definitely closer to bird intelligence than reptilian's. Making them smarter than most dinosaurs
>>
>>2127185
Why not just talk about the feasibility of training a dragon or unicorn, OP?

T-Rexes are fiction, there's no conclusive evidence they ever actually existed.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>2127923
>>2127923
Tyrannosaurus was actually smarter than about 97% of all known non-avian dinosaurs.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256536375_Hurlburt_G_R_R_C_Ridgely_and_L_M_Witmer_In_press_Relative_size_of_brain_and_cerebrum_in_Tyrannosaurus_rex_an_analysis_using_brain-endocast_quantitative_relationships_in_extant_alligators_pp_134-154_in

It was easily the smartest large theropod and only mentally exceeded by a few small dinosaurs -which were also coelurosaurs- like troodon in terms of brain ratio.

Then again, tyrannosaurus was also a hulking bruiser in comparison to other dinosaurs and could kill with a single bite, so... Either way, though it might not be as intelligent as troodon, it was still extremely smart in comparison to most other dinosaurs in addition to its other defining attributes.
>>
>>2127949
Haven't had a chance to hunt down the meaningful quotes yet, I'll try to get to it later.

About 3/4's of T. rex's brain is the olfactory lobes. They aren't used for thinking.

so yes, it did have an abnormally large brain for a theropod, but almost all of that brain was for its sense of smell.

comparing the size of the nose/brain of Tyrannosaurus to the forebrain of birds is misleading, since one uses its forebrain to think while the other does not.
>>
File: trex_brain.jpg (21 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
trex_brain.jpg
21 KB, 400x368
>>2128027
Nope, only the round front is for sense of smell, which is not even 1/4 of tyrannosaurus brain.
>>
File: 1463969468046.jpg (48 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
1463969468046.jpg
48 KB, 400x368
>>2128035
here, I've highlighted the olfactory lobes for you.
>>
File: 73342-004-9BBAADA2.jpg (33 KB, 330x136) Image search: [Google]
73342-004-9BBAADA2.jpg
33 KB, 330x136
>>2128037
You even highlighted over the cerebrum

Here is an image based on a goose brain, considering you obviously fail miserably at biology.
>>
>>2128039
geese have tiny olfactory bulbs.

here's another rex endocast, side view this time.

the left line represents the foramen magnum, everything to the left of that is not brain.

the right line represents where the olfactory bulbs emerge from the cranium via the ethmoid foramina.

notice the pituitary just below the olfactory bulbs. The bulbs themselves are the giant dick looking thing to the right

if you'd like I can probably find an inside view of a rex skull to show you that that part of the brain doesn't actually rest within the braincase. I probably have one somewhere.
>>
>>2128039
By the way, tyrannosaurus cerebrum was also quite proportionately thick
>>
>>2128044
thicker than allosaurus, thinner than alligators.

much much thinner than birds.
>>
File: Tyrannosaurus_olfactory_bulb.jpg (121 KB, 526x777) Image search: [Google]
Tyrannosaurus_olfactory_bulb.jpg
121 KB, 526x777
>>2128042
Oh geese, cutting in the cerebrum again I see... Even though I even gave you a legit reference based on birds (actual dinosaur)>>2128039

Looks like I will have to do the hard works some more.
>>
File: brain.jpg (46 KB, 315x438) Image search: [Google]
brain.jpg
46 KB, 315x438
>>2128050
This is likely where your misconception comes from. The main connections between the brain and the nasal cavity; nose version of the eye's optic nerve.
>>
>>2128051
>This is likely where your misconception comes from
it's no misconception.

rex had enormous olfactory lobes, something you can easily see in the literature.

Witmer et al included those huge olfactory lobes in their comparison to birds and alligators.

Tyrannosaurus does compare very well in brain size to birds when you count the half of the brain that doesn't do any thinking.

here's a paper with pictures, go ahead and read it if you like. I have to take off for a while anyways.

you can practice being a condescending dick later. After you've actually learned something.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.20983/pdf
>>
>>2128050
yeah, I'll see if I can hunt you down some simple diagrams in a couple hours.

you're pretty confused.
>>
File: Tyrannosaurus_ears3.png (637 KB, 864x1177) Image search: [Google]
Tyrannosaurus_ears3.png
637 KB, 864x1177
>>2128055
Yes, the main brain's (without connection parts) part for smelling was definitely larger than most dinosaurs. In fact, I even circled it.

With the connection parts, it appear even larger. However, that is like saying the part of the brain for sight was larger because of the length of the eye's optic nerves. Sure this help to amplify the senses, but they are not actually part of the main brain; more live evolutionary augmentations.

By that logic, the brain is even larger when including tyrannosaurus complex hearing system, which likely enabled it to hear low frequency sounds.
>>
>>2128065
>With the connection parts, it appear even larger. However, that is like saying the part of the brain for sight was larger because of the length of the eye's optic nerves.
fair enough, let's go with that analogy.

by that reasoning Witmer and Ridgley included the nose's "optic nerve" in the measure of brain mass.

It's much smaller in birds and it isn't used for thinking.

>In fact, I even circled it.
You circled a tiny little bit of the end of it, that's true.
>>
>>2128065
here's a not-very-specific example, at the bottom of the page it actually uses rex as an example of a greatly enlarged olfactory bulb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_bulb

I'll see if I can hunt down something more specific.

as I recall Witmer did another paper on this exact subject in the 90's...
>>
File: olfactory bulb.png (251 KB, 530x650) Image search: [Google]
olfactory bulb.png
251 KB, 530x650
>>2128065
and here's an example showing the compared anatomy of Allosaurus, Alligator, and a bird.

note that the olfactory bulb is the entire elongate structure sticking forward on theropod dinosaurs and on alligators. The light gray section.

if you look at the Allosaurus endocast, the olfactory bulbs are labeled OB and the 'stems' are labeled OP (olfactory peduncle).

both of these parts (olfactory bulb and olfactory peduncle) Were part of the endocast Witmer et al was comparing to birds. By mass the brains aren't far off, but almost the entire forebrain in rex was used for smelling.

diagram from:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajmg.a.30538/pdf
>>
>>2128065
and finally, the earlier paper I was thinking of:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wilsonja/JAW/Publications_files/Larsson%26al2000.pdf

notice that in comparing forebrains here they went ahead and chopped off the entire olfactory bulb including olfactory peduncle, mostly because it's not used in thinking so it's useless in comparing intelligence.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.