[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reptile & Amphibian General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 70
Old Thread is coming to an end, time for a new one.

Last time: >>2121461

The Basilisk reaches a total length of app. 80 cm (including the tail of app. 50 cm) and weighs app. 200 – 500 grs. The colour of the back ranges from green to olive-brown and brown with dark stripes. The belly is yellow. The outstanding camouflage allows them to remain undetected when they remain motionless in the undergrowth. Its toes are very long and have sharp claws. The head of the males is adorned with both a crest and a coloured dewlap. This crest is supported by elongations of the neural spines. On the back and the tail there are sail-like crests. Basilisks are active during the day. Males are territorial, bobbing their heads as threat gesture and courtship behavior. The female lays 2 – 18 eggs five to eight times per year into a hole, 20’ cm deep, she has dug out herself. After egg-laying, she covers the clutch with soil, pressing down on it with her head. Afterwards there is no parental care. The young hatch after about 3 months. They feed on insects, small vertebrates like snakes, birds and fish but also flowers.

Things to keep in mind:

>Sand a shit
>Tile a best
>Heat rocks cook the reptile
>Leopard geckos don't need lights
>Always use a Thermostat
>Read multiple Caresheets
>Can't find an answer? Just ask!
>Set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>Allow reptile time to settle in
>Get let your herp get used to you
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>Always order from a reputable breeder
>Check out any upcoming reptile shows
>>
>>2125410

Anon pls. The bump limit on /an/ is 310 posts. Current herp thread is still well short of that.
>>
>>2125415
The bump Limit is 300 posts, and we are not that far away. Stop exaggerating.
>>
you didnt even include any links. op you are a faggot
>>
>>2125422

It is 310.
>>
>>2125425
There was no new news I could find.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160505105017.htm

http://www.adn.com/culture/arts/2016/05/17/enormous-oil-on-canvas-painting-depicts-prehistoric-marine-reptiles/

Are the only relevant stories since last thread.
>>
>>2126053
well thats not really "caretaking" now is it? You clearly live in an area that meets their environmental needs
>>
>>2126053

This is more along the lines of hey i set some lizards loose in my house/out in my yard.
>>
>>2126053
We pay a good amount for our herps, we would like them to be healthy.
>>
File: angler-catches-100-pound-turtle.jpg (198 KB, 970x1293) Image search: [Google]
angler-catches-100-pound-turtle.jpg
198 KB, 970x1293
This magnificent bastards. Holy God. I've heard its bite is strong enough to snap human hands in two.
>>
>>2126094
Yes, found the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBSFeJ1WLv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSurkfqXuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUoc1vl4Cc
>>
>>2126094
>im getting kinda tired
>holy shit look at its mouth
>if i drop it will bite my feet off
>>
>>2126102
It's literally Bowser.
>>
>>2126095
what a fucking idiot
almost as bad as the guy who was going to be eaten by an anaconda
>>
File: 2016-05-19 21.06.41.jpg (573 KB, 1947x2235) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-19 21.06.41.jpg
573 KB, 1947x2235
is my Ball Python too skinny?

I'm asking, because I was told that he is, but I honestly don't think so
>>
Created a new meal for my tegu. Chopped up blackberries, cherries, tomatoes, beef chunks all mixed into partly scrambled egg with some calcium powder and the egg shell left in.

Looks revolting.
>>
>>2126170
Calcium powder isn't that bad.
>>
>>2126146
Nope, that ball is fine.
>>
>>2126264
TOM R TOES.
>>
File: Cobra _.webm (3 MB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
Cobra _.webm
3 MB, 736x414
snek
>>
>>2126325
Literally the sic maddest cunt imaginable. Can't even imagine handling a fucking cobra that calmly.
>>
I finally got my nice thermostat for my leopard gecko. I put the temp reader right outside of his favorite cave but as close to the middle of the UTH as possible.

Considering it's hotter in the cave, what temperature range should I set the thermostat at? Right now I have it at 92-94.
>>
>>2126342
I set mine at 96. The thermostat temp is the hottest it will get before it turns off the heatmat.

So for the majority of the time it will be under that temp
>>
I keep finding lots of info on southern alligator lizards, but little to none on northern, so I've been moving his setup around experimenting.

So far it looks like he enjoys basking in the sun for short periods, but the majority of the time likes the moist dirt. I saw him drink from the water bowl once, but other than that he just likes sitting in the cool dirt. I guess he's getting his water from his food? I did mist down the grass that was in there but he didn't seem to care.

He sleeps a lot, though I expected that, he's still a baby. He also seems to change his diet preference from day to day. The first day he ate about ten termites, and then the next day showed no interest. Later that same day I caught a spider on my bed and killed it, so I offered it to him and he ate it like he had been starving. So I thought 'cool, now I can just feed him the bugs in the room'

Nope. Next day he wanted nothing to do with spiders, and it was all about the little nightcrawler worm. Then later he turned his nose up to that and wanted the mealworm. (I only gave him one small one, I know they have pretty hard bodies)

I'm afraid this guy is going to be a picky eater when he gets bigger.
>>
>>2126341

That's Elvis, viperkeeper's bestest buddy snek. VK is calm because he knows that snake very well and has a good understanding of his body language and temperament. Elvis didn't escape in that video, vk let him out intentionally for a few hours to roam the room.

Viperkeeper can be a little loose with the safety procedures but in this case he had the situation well under control, which is why he was so calm.
>>
>>2126342

Put the thermostat probe inside the warm hide if possible. Set it to 90 if you leave the probe where it is right now. 92 if it's in the hide.

>>2126345

If you watch your thermostat you will notice that the temperature continues to rise by a degree or two even after power has been cut to the UTH. Recommend you decrease that setting down to 92.
>>
>>2126403
Mine does not go past the set temp. I've watched it as it has hit 96, hold that temp and then decrease.
>>
>>2126403
>>2126437
I don't know if this will change anything, but I plan on getting tile this weekend for the bottom of the tank. I use reptile carpet right now so I'm not sure how well the heat transfers to anything else.
>>
>>2126437

Interesting. I suppose it depends on the heat retention of the substrate you use.
>>
>>2126442

Tile does retain heat reasonably well. Slate tile especially. It is when using tile that I have noticed my thermostat continuing to rise slightly after power cut off. Not much, just 1-2 degrees over setting, then goes down as normal.
>>
Pumpkin frog sees you. Pumpkin frog knows.
>>
hey /herp/ I moved one of my young leos into a new tank the other day and I hasn't seem to have "used the restroom" since
Its eating fine and seems fine, I dont know if this is something I should worry about
>>
>>2127105

Couple days delay is nothing to worry about. Pretty normal when changing tanks for gecko to be a bit constipated.
>>
File: superpacmanfrog.jpg (139 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
superpacmanfrog.jpg
139 KB, 500x314
>>2127102
Freedom Frog doesn't care
>>
File: snak.jpg (293 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
snak.jpg
293 KB, 1200x900
Sand Boa goes through a mad wandering phase almost every year where he refuses food, tries to escape all fucking day and night and does not give a shit about anything when hes usually very shy. Has not eaten for 3 months now. I hate the anxiety this brings me. Do other snakes do this?
>>
File: IMG_0682.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0682.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Petco fucked up and sent me a broken Exo Terra.

But they refunded me AND are sending me another one.

Feels good.
>>
>>2127109
Thanks!
>>
>>2127144
probably because you don't give it any sand to burrow in
>>
File: TortoiseBabyHat.jpg (85 KB, 720x713) Image search: [Google]
TortoiseBabyHat.jpg
85 KB, 720x713
>>2127153

Nonsense! Shredded aspen works very well for sand boas, holds tunnels well, and is the generally preferred substrate choice for them by breeders.
>>
>>2127144
Is it a male?
>3 months
Holy shit can it really go that long without eating?
>>
>>2127144

Have you tried soaking thawed mouse in hot water for a couple minutes before offering? And brain it too for good measure. That usually helps with reluctant ball pythons on extended hunger strike.
>>
>>2127225

Yes. They're designed for that kind of thing to survive food scarcity in the wild. You just have to keep a close eye on their weight during these times to make sure they aren't losing too much.
>>
>people who have to keep their bearded dragons in enclosures that are too small for them to avoid their own feces

have fun scrubbing the poop out of his scales and scrubbing the sides of the tank because he ran in it for eight hours while you were at work/school
>>
>>2127382
What's a good size for a Bearded anyway? A T8?
>>
>>2126094
Wow, it must be really old.
>>
File: image.jpg (192 KB, 1136x646) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192 KB, 1136x646
>>2126442
Bought the tile today! It definitely heats hotter than the carpet did. Going to keep fiddling with temperature and find a good range.

>Bad quality pic related
Little buddy is in far right of photo
>>
>>2127449

36" x 24" x H18" or equivalent floor space is about right for an adult beardie. 48" x 18" x height is pretty commonly used as well.
>>
>>2127477

Looking good!
>>
>>2127493

Human. Room 101.
>>
>>2127500
A frog big enough to eat humans be pretty fucking terrifying to be honest.
>>
>>2127144
Sounds like normal breeding season fasting to me.

>>2127153
Not only is sand dangerous to 99.99% of captive reptiles (because all commonly-kept species are not adapted to live in loose sand), but it doesn't hold a burrow worth a shit.

>>2127225
Snakes can go a long time without eating. My ball python went 8 months without eating once, and he's still alive and kicking 2+ years later.
>>
File: 3200703386_5ca4b69977_o.jpg (66 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
3200703386_5ca4b69977_o.jpg
66 KB, 800x528
>>2127502
>A frog big enough to eat humans be pretty fucking sexy to be honest.
fix'd that for you
>>
>>2127525
Dude no
>>
File: 1456453928936.jpg (106 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
1456453928936.jpg
106 KB, 620x387
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrg9hYjW8ts

Fucking savage
>>
>>2127477
how heavy was the tile? will it be a bitch when you have to clean the tank?
>>
File: bearded_dragon_alien_love.jpg (448 KB, 2304x2304) Image search: [Google]
bearded_dragon_alien_love.jpg
448 KB, 2304x2304
How often should you check on your Beardie during their brumation?

He seems to open his eyes when I open to the top of his hide, but im wondering is bathing actually necessary and/or is there anything else I should be doing....

Also, weight loss is a problem before they brumate or not?
>>
>>2127622
It's summer, beardies shouldn't be brumating.
>>
>>2127641

Summer in the US is winter in Australia.
>>
>>2127641
well, in Australia it's colder now
>>
Are infrared sensing snakes really disturbed by active ceramic heat emitters at night?
>>
>>2127725
at least they "see" the heat
but it's not like switching a light on and off, because it is slowly building up heat and is cooling down slowly as well

but I personally wouldn't use them with "heat sensing snakes"
>>
>>2127515
So do you just try feeding every week until it eats? How do you deal with the mice being offered? You can't just keep refreezing it can you?
>>
File: IMG_beql6w.jpg (13 KB, 371x321) Image search: [Google]
IMG_beql6w.jpg
13 KB, 371x321
Got first herp. Very cute. Previous owner took good care of him.
>>
>>2127151
Dude they sent me a broken one too a few days ago the whole back of the tank was shattered
>>
>>2127776

Attempt feeding every second week when snake is off food. Doing so more frequently can developed a learned response in the snake the refuse food and may prolong the hunger strike.

Do not refreeze frozen rodents. If snake doesn't take it, throw it out.
>>
File: panel.jpg (25 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
panel.jpg
25 KB, 500x372
Just ordered my new radiant heat panel. New snek habitat coming together! Thanks to Cornel's World of Calgary, AB for being one of (the only?) Canadian shop to have these available online.

>>2127788
>Doing so more frequently can developed a learned response in the snake the refuse food and may prolong the hunger strike.

Oh god damnit my spelling errors. DEVELOP a learned response in snake TO refuse food etc...
>>
>>2127613
The tile wasn't very heavy. I still feel like you should be careful when putting it on the glass just to avoid scratches or chipping though.

To early to tell on the cleaning but at least it won't hold odor like the reptile carpet.
>>
This is probably going to sound really stupid but is there any way I can get my leopard geckos to SIT THE FUCK STILL when I have them out of the tank? They just want to walk all over the place and I have to keep picking them up and putting them back in front of me.

My last lizard I had before them was an anole who was chill as fuck and just sat on my shirt and didn't move a muscle
>>
>>2128131
They like to explore, Taking them out of the tank introduces them to a whole new range of smells.

I guess, if you found something warm thats the correct them they could relax on it in front you.

You shouldn't be hands on interacting with him for more than 10-15 minutes anyway.
>>
>>2128131

Nope. Sometimes when they're older. Best bet for outside tank time is a small pen that they can't climg out of. Pic related minus the water and doggo works. I zip-tied a series of 12x12 modular shelving panels together once to make a small circle, that worked well too. Put some tubes and towels in there to explore.

With that kind of thing, handling time limits still apply, 15-30 minutes max. And obviously supervision the entire time required.
>>
>>2127780
I'm pretty sure it's UPS fucking up; I saw one guy just THROW a package into my door once.
>>
File: terminator_melbourne.jpg (153 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
terminator_melbourne.jpg
153 KB, 720x960
>>2127678
>>2127677
I am Ausfailian. Besides don't some beardies brumate in US Summer due to their body clocks?
>>
I'm in a position currently where I make a stable income while also having a lot of free time, and I would like to start hobby breeding wild Alligator Lizards in order to attempt to domesticate them and sell them as pets, or work with other hobby breeders that have already started this.

Does anyone know of any books/links where I could get started on the legalities of this?
>>
File: pet.jpg (1 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
pet.jpg
1 MB, 1632x1224
Today is apparently World Turtle Day

who /turtle/ here?
>>
Anyone here have/ever have Madagascar Day Geckos, what are they like compared to other types. If I can find a place to get them I might go for them

Also any other anons from Ireland know any decent shops
>>
>>2128480

Are they native to your state?
Then it's illegal.
>>
>>2128506
I have tortoises
>>
>>2128535
>>2128535
Why would that be illegal? The law allows you to keep a maximum of two if they are caught on private land. That and if you are trying to domesticate something so you don't have to wild-catch, I'm sure there's some kind of licensing I can go through, I just don't know where to look to start.
>>
>>2128540
Where do you live anon.
Like the anon above said if they live in your stat its illegal to grab them from the wild without a trapping license and to own for recreational/personal use you need a year+ of experience with them plus prove proper caging for them.

You can also get a license for breeding them and an additional one for farming.
>>
>>2128558
Northern Cally, and ya illegal to trap/catch on any land that isn'tyour own, and even then only allowed two max. That's as far as the northern allies are concerned from what I found on the local laws.

I've had experience, but I want to know where I can legally start the process of documentation and such in order to basically apply for this, or find out where to get in contact with other people that may have already started the process and needs another person to help breed for a better gene pool.
>>
>>2128537
what kind?
>>
>>2128563
Isnt it illegal to own any crocodillian in california period?
>>
>>2128567
alligator lizards are not crocodilians my friend
>>
>>2128569
>>2128567
Lols

They are a type of skink anon, got there name from a similarity in certain scales to alligators, and of course they hiss and bite like fuckers when they are mad or scared.
>>
File: 2016-05-23 21.58.22.jpg (1 MB, 2628x1306) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-23 21.58.22.jpg
1 MB, 2628x1306
>>2128566
Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Here is a (not very great) pic of one of their enclosures
>>
>>2128570
no they are not a type of skink either
they're about as closely related to skinks as chameleons are really
convergent evolution is a helluva thing
>>
>>2128582

>tfw /an/ shows a degree of competency

it's nice.
>>
>>2128583
Oh shit, I've been thinking they were skinks for years.
>>
>>2128582
pretty sweet enclosure there, anon
>>
>>2128534
Sure, I've worked with them a bit at reptile rescue. They're neat. Like to bask under their heat lamps a lot. The tricky thing is that they are not good to handle as their skin is very delicate and can be damaged easily.
>>
>>2128595
Ah right, I'd like to get one cause they look really nice but I'd like to be able to handle them
>>
File: spottedpython.jpg (67 KB, 599x391) Image search: [Google]
spottedpython.jpg
67 KB, 599x391
Anyone ever kept a spotted python (antaresia maculosa) here? I'm thinking about getting one as there is a great breeder in my country that produces them fairly often. Really cool looking snake and from what i can tell from internet are pretty calm as adults, nippy as kids.
>>
>>2128506
Russians, eastern boxies and sulcata :3
>>
>>2128582
Very nice! What kind of fencing is that? It looks like you have some kind of weave garden underlay woven thru it, am I right? Stackable or available in taller runs based on the back wall being the same stuff? I always like the see thru look but have always been advised against it by other tortoise keepers as they tend to constantly trying to get thru when they can see beyond it. I'd also like to do rock but mine love digging to much to take it from them.
>>
>>2128569
>>2128570
I missed that "lizard" part mybad Im retarded
>>
as a new snek owner, looking at buying from perfect prey, for a baby snake, should I buy frozen mice or rats? also what's the deal with African rats
>>
>>2129117
What species of snake? How much does it currently weigh?
>>
>>2129127
baby corn, about 8grams, they have sizes for both that are pretty small, they claim quality is far above local pet stores, and the price can't be beat, any opinions?
also when he's big enough could i feed it a "one-day-chick" as a treat
>>
>>2129132
Pinky mice. Rats of any size will be too large. No chicks.
>>
File: pAMRPaM.jpg (195 KB, 505x524) Image search: [Google]
pAMRPaM.jpg
195 KB, 505x524
My beardie has his mouth open, I know this is to regulate temperature but is this okay?

He doesnt always do this
>>
>>2129167
humidity? water bowl?
>>
>>2129169

No water bowl.

I dont know about humidity though

He's kept in a basement
>>
Do corn snakes have to have belly heat, or will a room temp of 79-82°F do?
>>
So I finally got around to cleaning up an old terrarium thats been sitting in a shed doing nothing for 6 old years
Anyways, I'm want to put a breed pair of animals in to it and looking for suggestions . Its about 45x45cm and 60cm tall. Im guessing leopard/crested geckos would be one of the more common and easier herps to go with but I want something less common.
Tl;Dr What would a small less common herp to put in my tank
>>
>>2129184
>No water bowl.

Give him a water bowl, and change the water every day.
>>
>>2129202
pretty much any kind of arboreal gecko or anole would work
frogs definitely
witch a tank like that you're kind of limited to arboreal or small semi-arboreal species
>>
Has anyone ever been bitten out of no where by their lizards?

I was having a little nap on the floor and my free roaming lizard bit my nose.
>>
File: IMG_20160518_213310.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_213310.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Tried feeding my Sand Boa today, I got her two weeks ago and the breeder said she ate a week before that so it's been 3 weeks now.

I've heard they have problems taking frozen pinkies, should I try again in a week or wait longer before trying to feed him again? I did everything but the "hold it by the head" force feeding thing because I don't want to stress her out a lot.

It hurts me to toss these pinkies, such a waste reeeeee
>>
>>2129202
Mourning geckos are neat.
>>
>>2129325
Never. Though if my gecko is hungry and I put my hand in the tank he'll chase after it expecting food. He understands I am where food comes from, so when I have my hand in there he expects me to be holding a superworm from some tweezers.

>>2129337
Do not force feed.

He is getting used to his environment. He needs time to settle in. Don't worry if he isn't eating.
>>
>>2129342
It's been two weeks already there
But OK anon, I've only handled her twice since then so I'm being careful not to stress her. This is my first herp so I find not feeding it for so long unsettling.
>>
>>2129345
Boas are notorious for not eating. If it makes you feel better, next time leave the pinky in the tank over night. She'll get it on her own terms sometime during the night.
>>
>>2129353
I tried that actually, but thanks anyway anon.
>>
>>2129191
Hmm... that is in the good range for corn snakes. Does the room cool off at night?
>>
>>2129292
Any specific one jump to mind?
>>
>>2129377
i would say check out kingsnake.com and faunaclassifieds and look for something that suits your fancy
and look up some caresheets to make sure your tank meets their size needs

crested geckos and day geckos would be the most readily available species you could get
or white's treefrogs if you want to go the frog route
>>
>>2128141
>>2128150
Not the anon you replied to, but I feel his pain. I mean, I love it that they come to the front of the tank, get out on the table and start exploring everything, but I can relate to OP when I try cleaning the tank. Even during daytime, they are hyperactive, and I would feel really bad to put them into the boxes I used to transport them from the breeder home, even if it's only for 20 minutes. Until now, I tried to kinda ignore them, get the tile out, caves out, etc, and just leave them in the empty tank, and then put everything back without accidentially squishing/hurting one, but I may try >>2128150 solution in 2 weeks when I have to do another big cleaning session.
>>
It's starting to get warmer over here now, and I noticed that one of my leos now kind of avoid the heat lamp, while the other is still sleeping in a cave nearly underneath it. The one gecko that avoid the heat does not even really hide, he looks for a position near a tree branch and just chills there. If he actually sees me moving/ hears me, he mostly just opens one eye, watching me, but does not even run away/ hide, it's actually pretty good.
The other one sometimes during the day gets up from sleeping, walks to the water bowl, hangs out there for a bit drinking(the only leo ive ever seen actually drinking, on a regular basis), and goes back to sleep inside some warm hide.
It's funny how "different" they are, anyone doing the same observations?
>>
>>2129388
Excuse my typos, I'm on a mobile, also good = cute, how did autocorrect fuck that up?
>>
>>2129384
Thanks for the tips
>>
>>2129388

Yeah they all have different temperature preferences I've noticed. Some only like to use the warm spot to digest right after eating and mostly hang around in the middle or cool side at all other times. Others are practically glued to that hot spot unless they want to go out to explore a bit, eat, or drink some water. Some hide all the time. Others don't seem to care and just sleep wherever.
>>
>>2129396

Gargoyles are an interesting alternative to cresteds and also readily available. Care is basically the same but their personality in my experience is wildly different.
>>
>>2127776
I offer whenever I feel like it, if the snake doesn't know when food is coming they're more likely to eat. And if you offer it 4 weeks later and it doesn't take it, it wouldn't have taken it 3 weeks earlier. He can go a month without a food offer, but he usually eventually takes food within about 2-3 months, 6 months being the longest average time he's taken. I just monitor weight to make sure there isn't rapid weight loss. When he eats regularly, I offer food every 2 weeks.

When I feed mice or rats, I just throw them away immediately. I didn't have any snakes small/big enough to eat jumbo mice or small rats at the time, and refreezing more than once or twice can make a feeder go bad.
>>
>>2129400
How so?
Also any experience with Tokay geckos
>>
>>2129430
tokay's are pretty cool but they have a reputation of being bitey, and apparently they bite pretty hard

so if you're okay with potentially never being able to hold it, thats fine i guess
>>
>>2125410
are dried mealworms alright for a bearded dragon?

I know they have absolutely no nutritional value but good god does ms daisy love them. I give her dusted crickets as her main source of food and various veggies like romaine lettuce,(usually spray it down with more water and supplements) zuccini, squash, whatever I have I just mash it up and give to her. She loves the fuck out of strawberries too.

But when she hears that dried worm bug HOLY SHIT. She goes absolutely crazy. I have never in my life ever see an animal get that so fucking excited for a treat. I actually have to keep the bag out of sight or else she will just slap the glass all day trying to get to it. It's weird because she does get excited for crickets or roaches it's no where close to these dried worms.

The second she sees me reaching behind the shelf and hears that crunching noise she pops right up and starts bolting around her tank. By the time I open her tank she is literally SHAKING in excitement. She will catch these fuckers as I toss them in. If I try to place them in she starts tongue attacking my hand.

I only give them to her very rarely as a special treat like after a bath, tank cleaning, or if she was good after holding her. That shouldn't be bad right?

At this point the sound of any bag crunching gets her all pumped up for treat time.
>>
>>2129214
>>2129184
My beardie completely ignores her water bowl 99% of the time. Sometimes she will accidentally fall into it and freak the fuck out. She hates water so much.

I always make sure the give her veggies soaked in a lot of water and even warm that water first. She likes warm veggies more.

But it's always good to have a water bowl large enough for them to lay in. That's how they are suppose to get their water anyways. Some dragons really really reaaalllyyy love to just hang out in water.
>>
>>2129430

Gargs are... odd. Eccentric sort of. The most obvious difference is that most -not all- gargs do not give a damn about hiding. They sleep out in the open. They bask if you provide them with a low wattage heat lamp during the day (do not exceed 85 F on basking spot). Due to their fairly minimal toe lamilae they do not spend as much time on the glass walls as crested do as adults, their grip is not quite so good. They have bizarre ideas about what constitutes a comfortable sleeping position, even for lizards in general. Of all my herps, the garg is the one that most frequently causes me to go wtf? when i check on her. Either she's hanging upside down like a bat or sleeping with her face under the substrate and body above or she's right up at the front of the tank stalking around so slow she makes a chameleon look fast.

Just odd. And a constant source of amusement to me. Also less jumpy as adults when handling than cresteds. They will still want to hand walk for a bit to burn off their flight response but after that they'll pretty much plop down and sit there. Cresteds are more froggy.
>>
>>2129455

If you're not using them as a staple and only as a treat there's no harm in it. I guess your beardie thinks of them along the same lines as potato chips. :p
>>
>>2129459
>lamilae
*lamellae
>>
>>2129455
thats fucking adorable anon
how does she feel about living mealworms?
>>
File: daisy.jpg (64 KB, 428x600) Image search: [Google]
daisy.jpg
64 KB, 428x600
>>2129455
also I wanted to say but ran out of characters.

I was not all that excited about bringing in little ms daisy at first. She was stressed out from her habitat change and would CONSTANTLY fucking scratch at the glass all day long. Also, she wouldn't always eat all her crickets so they would chirp all god damn night and her tank is right next to my bed. There is also the fact her shit smells absolutely fucking AWFUL sometimes and it's a huge mess to clean up if she drags her tail through it.

But since I got her she has really calmed down and is much much more chill. She lets me hold her and cuddles up to my neck like a kitten when I lay down. She's super cute. I love how excited she gets for feeding time and has a lot of character. Every time I feed her crickets or roaches it's the highlight of my day. I love the shit out of her.

I'm pretty lonely and don't get out much so... yeah. I'll randomly talk to her throughout the day which I know is dumb but it it makes me feel better at least. Ms daisy is a great listener. She looks right at me the whole like she's actually listening. Much better than my god damn stupid ass cat.

Sure sometimes shes not all the bright. I posted this diagram of how she wakes up in the morning in another old thread before. First thing in the morning as soon as she wakes up is to fall sideways off her log land right in the sand. Since she's right next to my bad it scares the shit out of me every time. It's so loud.
>>
>>2129460
Ah good. I didn't know if their shells would be too hard or what. And holy shit do they crunch. It's the loudest NOMNOMNOM ever.

>>2129464
I have no actually given her live ones yet. I want to but I live in a very small town where there are no more petstores. There was a nice petstore owned by a good family friend but she passed away:( She didn't have anyone to continue her store so it closed down. If I have to get crickets I have to drive 45minutes to the nearest town that sells them and they don't have any mealworms. I usually get a couple weeks worth of crickets at a time and keep them in their own tank where I have to feed em and clean them and ahhhh. It's a pain in the ass but worth it.

I'll try to get a video of her getting all pumped up for treat time.She seriously acts like a little excited puppy. Once I teased her by dropping one on the far end of her tank while she was on her log and she jumped off that log and face-planted right into the sand. She turned her head around slowly back at me with a "WHY DO YOU MAKE ME WORK THIS HARD" look on her blank lizard face. I felt absolutely awful and gave her a few extras hehe

Seriously I love her so much. She has a lot more personality than I have ever seen in a lizard.
>>
Why are lizards the best pets (and animals in general)?
>>
File: fsOdv8N.jpg (46 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
fsOdv8N.jpg
46 KB, 768x1024
>>2129476
Because lizard, that's why.

They are totally chill and just wanna hang out with you in the sun. They are total bros that always got your back no matter what and always have a shoulder open for you to lean on when you need someone to talk to.

Also, depending on your lizard BFF, they look like tiny little dinosaurs or completely badass dragons.
>>
Just doing some general research on how I can take better care of my BFF I learned something terrible depressing I had no idea existed before and that is yellow fungus. The pictures of sick beardies almost made me, a grown ass bearded man, cry (ok I teard up a little bit).

Christ that's a terrible thing. I wouldn't want anyone's pet to go through that.
>>
>>2129475
You could always start a mealworm colony. Literally all you have to do is give them carrots and they breed like crazy.
>>
File: snak.jpg (68 KB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
snak.jpg
68 KB, 675x1200
>>
>>2129459
Sounds pretty cool. Gonna look into them. Cheers
>>
>>2129897

Cute rainbow bow.

Hey question about plastic tubs for snek keepers of /herp/; how much additional security do you use to keep the lid escape proof? There is the latches on the sides but anything extra on top of that? I've seen pictures sometimes where people have run a couple bungee cords across the top. Overkill?
>>
>>2129937
If its got the actual physical latches, it should be ok, but I'd test how much the lid bends along the edges
if its the kind that just snaps on you definitely need something else
>>
File: 2016-05-25 09.57.14.png (3 MB, 1395x1368) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-25 09.57.14.png
3 MB, 1395x1368
>>2128588
>>2128594
Thanks

>>2128722
The fenchin is just a double rod fence, three "rows" high, but I cut off the lowest vertical rod so I could stick it one "row" deep into the ground.
The webbing is not as see-through as it seems in the pic
Its the same webbing, you use with double rod fences as visual cover.
You weave it through the whole fence, and it's available in rolls with different lengths. Every row of them is as high as a "row" of the double rod fence, so you can easily weave it through the whole length.
I have that kind of fence around my whole garden, so I figured it wouldn't look too bad to use the same for the tortoise enclosures

But you are right, completely see-trough fencing is not really good for tortoises

Also, do yours really like to dig?
Mine only dig inside their hut to sleep (if they don't sleep under the rosemary bush) or to lay their eggs

here is a pic of a female and some hatchlings
>>
File: 00909_kixSEDftjdN_600x450.jpg (27 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00909_kixSEDftjdN_600x450.jpg
27 KB, 600x337
>>2129952
They're not as dig happy in their outside pen as they are in their winter one but typically, yes, most is done in their hides or around them. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give rocks a try, god knows it would cut down on the dirt tracking into the water tray. Thank you for the info, for now I use cedar fencing but I do like the look of the metal. Nice looking Hatchlings, here's 2 of my Russian ones, ravenous lil bastages.
>>
>>2129944
Thanks. Will do. Mine has latches but is also 32" long so there is some flex especially in the middle. No snake living in there just yet so will see about adding something extra to secure it before housing anything in it.
>>
>>2129973
also a good way to be secure is to have a rack that it fits very snugly into so that if they push the top it has nowhere to go
I think the bungee cords you've seen are there to secure the tub into the rack
>>
how do I find local reptile expos? I can't seem to find anything in my area (ohio)
>>
>>2130011
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Events-Calendar/
>>
Someone on /an/ reccomended me an ackies monitor. Is there anyone here who actually owns one (or more) of these lizards?

I have questions
>>
How do you get your lizards to enjoy bath time? I always make sure the temperature is optimal and my little one is find until she poops, then she wants nothing more to get out but I need to remove the poop and refill the bath so she can be clean but she always starts panicking and jumping to get out.
>>
File: P3130075.png (493 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
P3130075.png
493 KB, 450x600
>>2130023
Yeah.
>>
>>2130097
Tell me the temperament of him/her! I just want a reptile that's chill with being handled. Because currently (and because of another resident pet) my options are either reptiles, rats, or a kitten
>>
My little sister's Kindergarten teacher is giving me her son's Leo because he doesn't feed it. Got any reliable care guides and tips /herp/?
>>
File: 1436939107179.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1436939107179.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>2130097
Oh I'm so jealous
>>
>>2130320

I was going to just link a caresheet but all the ones i'm finding contain either misleading information or have inaccuracies or 1990's era leo care. So. Here:

tank
>20 gallon long or equivalent sized sterilite tub

heat
>under tank heater controlled by thermostat (put probe in warm side hide).
>under tank heater should be large enough to cover approximately 30% of the total floor space
>temperature 90-92
>cool side temperature should be mid 70's to 80

lighting
>not necessary
>if the room does not have windows, recommend a low wattage fluorescent or LED tank light set on a 12 hour timer during the day
>if room does have windows, make sure the tank is not ever in direct sunlight as this will raise tank temperatures dramatically

decor
>one hide on warm side, one on cool side, one moist hide in middle
>one bottlecap of calcium
>one water dish

substrate
>ceramic or slate tile. reptile carpet or exo terra rubber desert sand mat. just paper towel also fine.
>do not use sand. if gecko is currently on sand, toss it out and switch to one of the above suggestions

food
>feed once every second day, or once daily if gecko is a baby weighing under ~20g
>crickets, dubia roaches, mealworms, phoenix worms, superworms (for adults only)
>confine worms to a smooth sided glass feeding bowl. remove uneaten loose crickets ASAP after gecko has finished eating.
>gutload all feeders and dust with calcium powder before feeding to gecko

handling
>leave your new gecko alone for at least one week -aside from cage cleaning/changing water bowl- when you first bring them home. Ideally do not handle until gecko has eaten at least two meals without issue
>>
>>2130383

Also, on the subject of feeder insects, some are more nutritious than others.

phoenix worms (~50% chance your leo will be willing to eat these) > dubia roaches > crickets > superworms > mealworms > butter worms > wax worms

Other items like small hornworms or small silkworms are good too. Do not feed any insect larger than the space between your gecko's eyes. Worms can be longer than that but not wider. Safe worm width is maybe about half the space between gecko's eyes.

Pinky mice are not necessary. Do not do this unless perhaps you have a gravid female of questionable weight to safely produce fertilized eggs.
>>
File: snake7.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
snake7.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>2126325
fucking viperkeeper, professional madman
>>
>>2130406

holy hell
>>
>>2130152
why is everybody in here so obsessed with handling their reptiles? just get a bearded dragon
>>
>>
>>2130516

What is going on with snakes being born without eyes? I have seen this happen a number of times; only one eye or both missing.
>>
>>2130546
As far as I understand it, usually has to do with incubation accidents with the temp dropping or spiking or etc during development.
>>
>>2130383
>>2130391
Thanks, She's 9 years old and looks pretty healthy.
>>
So I have a BCI now. She's about 3.5 feet long and the previous own

Got her from a guy on craigslist. She's doing great in general but isn't very curious and doesn't want to explore because I got her right when she was at the very start of going in shed. She hadn't eaten in a week so I fed her once with a large mouse f/t because I wasn't sure it was shed at first and not just her having a slightly reddish underbelly.

My real questions are on habitation. I've gotten a taller 40 gallon container she's in right now, with cypress bedding and runs a humidity of around 77%. Its a little high but she's in shed so I'm sticking with it for now. I'm using three things for heating. One underheater for belly heat. One 150watt ceramic aimed a little on the side of the underheater but mostly at the center (I do this because it gets too hot on that one side if its straight down). And at night I turn off the 150watt ceramic and do the same thing with a 60watt ceramic. This gives a fairly smooth gradient from 100*F at a hotspot to 85*F on the cool side at surface level. This is obviously too hot and I'm going to switch the 150w to a 100w tomorrow morning to see if it helps.

Anyways, is lowering the temperature at night necessary? I'm wondering this because there are two hides she thermoregulates with anyway (one on each side). If its not I probably can just go with a 100w ceramic because it sits with the acceptable range. Also is having a distinct photocycle necessary? Asking because some people say yes and some say no. I've been just leaving the lights on my room on.. If it is, I probably can get by without using the 150w/100w ceramic at all and can just use a daytime light anyways.

Another thing is I am wondering how necessary it is to have a lot branches or fake trees to climb on. Is floor space more important than air space? They mostly crawl but they are semi-arboreal
>>
>>2130616
*and the previous owner says she's 9 months old
>>
>>2130616
And another correction. The 60 watt gets it to about 87 on the hotspot and 75 on the far side.
>>
>>2129937
I don't have any added security on any of my tubs except one, and I just drilled a few holes to put some locks through. Probably doesn't need it but the lid is a little flimsier than my other tubs. There's some flex in all my tubs, but each one has latches of some sort and doesn't bend as much as this one. Plus the lid just snaps into place.

I've only had a snake escape from a tub once, and that's because I forgot to latch the sides.

An old one I had I used bungee cords to pull over each end, but I couldn't find any of the right size so I went with the "quick link" things you use on key rings.

>>2130616
77% isn't high, that's within the range you need to shoot for. 70-80% is the correct humidity for most boa constrictors, even outside of shed. 50-60% like so many quote is way too low and will result in low grade dehydration.

No, nighttime temp drops aren't necessary. You can allow it to drop, but it won't hurt them not to. Now, I *would* advise seasonal drops. Withhold food for 3 months/90 days and drop temps by 2-5 degrees. A non-feeding period is important for them to maintain proper body functions. You can wait a year to start fasting/dropping temps, since at 3.5' it should be 1-2 years old, but I'd guess she's old enough to start now.

Any lights you have MUST be turned off at night, though, that's a necessity for them to maintain day/night schedules. Doesn't matter if it's white, red, blue, black, they can see it and it needs to be shut off.

They need to climb to maintain proper muscle and brain function. Floor space is just as important as climbing space imo. As long as the cage is 2'-3' tall for an adult you should be fine. For babies, 12"-18" is fine.
>>
File: IMG_1449.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1449.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>2130618
>>2130618
Holy hell how did they feed her???? 3.5' at only 9 months old is huge. If she's actually 9 months, she's been power fed. That's large-ish even for a yearling. My 11 month old is only 30", pretty average for her age. 3' is on the higher end of average for a yearling.

Since she's so large, you should cut down on her feeding. Feed her a weaned rat every 2-3 weeks. My boa is 30" and nearly ready for weaned rats, your 3.5' boa should be large enough. It will be on smalls before long, though.

Pic related is my 11 month old, she'll be 1 year in a week.

>>2130622
That sounds more like it, but I'd bump the ambients up by 5-10 degrees.
>>
>>2130646
It could very well be that she's 9 months since the pet shop sold her to him, which would make her around 1.25-1.5 years. I have no idea on the actual age. I still have his number so I should call him to clarify.

He says he fed small mice every 5 days but recently moved to large mice once a week for the last two weeks.

and yeah, I'm thinking the 100w might be the best bet.

>>2130643
I wasn't going to leave them on at night. The only lights on at night would be my laptop/desktop which are not in her direction.

>>2130643
>>2130646
So if the guides are wrong on the humidity, are they also wrong on anything else? What are good ambient temps?

The only issue I'm having is I feel I have too much climbing space taking up floor space.
>>
>>2130662

>>2130662

If you still want to do a night drop in temps you could do that with a rheostat/dimmer switch instead of having a second CHE. Hardware stores and Amazon sell them for around $10. They work just fine with CHE's as all the switch does is decrease the amount of power going to whatever it's plugged in to. You would have it set to full power during the day and throttle down to maybe 75% at night.

Make sure it's a corded one so you don't have to mess with wiring.
>>
>>2130677
Don't get a dimmer switch, they are unreliable in many ways. Go with a thermostat.
>>
>>2130692
We're just talking about ambient temp supplementary heat source that would be running at full power during the day. A thermostat is not necessary for that.
>>
>>2130710
My mistake, I thought it was for a heatmat.
>>
So for the last week and a half my leopard gecko has been wanting to eat every day.

He eats a staple of super worms. I normally give him only one each feeding.

He is 3 1/2 years old, male and 104 grams and 10 inches.

Should I ignore him and feed him every other day like I have been doing. Or maybe try for two each feeding at that rate?

Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>2130731
If he want to eat more, feed him more I guess
Just watch him to make sure he's isn't getting fat. Do you have a scale? Measure him every week or whatever and if you notice him starting to gain weight cut back on the worms
>>
>>2130732
Thing is, I have tried offering him a second worm during some feedings, which he doesn't want to go for.

My main concern is their digestive systems aren't made to eat every single day.

Which is why I came to ask some more experienced owners.
>>
>>2130733
try mixing his diet up? offer one superworm and like one waxworm or something at a feeding.
>>
>>2130737
I'll give that a try, he's very picky. Only ever eating about 8 crickets in his life. Loves his worms though.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
Done with setup, waiting on some hides coming in the mail.
>>
File: 1457540982266.jpg (28 KB, 551x367) Image search: [Google]
1457540982266.jpg
28 KB, 551x367
Just posted advertisement for a bunch of my reptiles since I got to move for uni. Any tips on how to sell?
>>
>>2130765
What variety o' herp will be living in those?
>>
>>2130738

It won't hurt him to wait an extra day between feedings at all. Sure he'll give you the patented leo pupper face of pls give O___O but you can ignore that.
>>
File: IMG_0116.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0116.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2130869
I have a ball, a corn, and a Western hognose (in that order), already in there.

I just spent $83 on feeders for them.

Kill me.
>>
How important is it to take snek to a vet? Looking at getting a baby, and was wondering if I should get it a check up. Should I wait until it's older? Every year? I have no clue, vet in my area doors reptiles for $110
>>
>>2130959
Where'd you buy from? Consider perfectprey?
>>
So I was given my parents ten month old beardy two days ago. I've already got two Leo's they're both almost 4 years old now, but man he has bonded to me like they never could. The first day, he road on my should the hour long drive to my house , no problem. Straight into the bath while I prepared his tank(which desperately needed cleaning) and then he went to his tank to chill. He chilled in th e tank for a few hours, then after a dinner of mushrooms(the only thing my parents gave me for him I know it shouldn't be his staple diet but they always fed him those and just recently tried to get him on veggies) he decided he wanted to come out and hang out. That night he slept all night on my chest, then yesterday he rode in the car with me taking my woman to work. Again, no problems. Now that this sounds like a blog post, I'll get to my real question. I'd like to take him with me on a four hour trip, and a two day stay away from home, followed by another four hour trip. The trip is in two weeks. He seems to be adjusting really well to living with me, except for never wanting to be I. His cage. I'm looking for ideas for how to transport him, what to bring for his temporary home for the days we are gone, and what to feed him. I tried strawberries yesterday but he wouldn't touch them. I get paid tomorrow and have about 150-200 to spend on him.
>>
>>2130731
I feed my Leo's every two days, and with superworms they usually eat about 4 each. They're a few years old now, and about 8 inches. Female. Once a month I toss about 16-20 crickets in the cage and they destroy all of them in an hour. I'm about to get dubias and see how they like them.
>>
>>2130777
do you have no one who is able to care for them while you are at uni?

Because I´m going to uni soon too, but my parents take care of my animals for that time, They do everything, except feed the snake, but I´ll come home nerly every weekend, so I´m able to feed them myself

Some animals I´ll give to friends, but I´ll get them back as soon as I´m able to take them.
>>
>>2130959
I feel you, the feeders are relatively expensive, especially the big rats

Also, nice tanks, bro
>>
>>2131036
mind the temp. and lighting
I would let him stay at home
>>
>>2131036
Knock that shit off you fucking weirdo, it's not a dog.
>>
>>2130991

Not unless there are signs of a problem. Snakes are very resilient and rarely get 'sick' in the way that mammals do. There is no need to go in for immunization shots and check-up etc. like you would with a dog/cat. Most common snake issue is probably mites, and that is very easily treated. I don't bring my reptiles in to the vet unless there's something wrong.
>>
What are some other lizard/lizards that could live in a large vertical open air cage?

I have a buddy who had a chameleon in a 4ft cage but doesn't want another since they're so finicky and he still mourns his old one.
>>
/an/on here who sent back the carpet python from BHB
Finally managed to send it back tuesday and it arrived wednesday morning. I called them at 11:00am before I went to work and got no answer and no call back , nor have they refunded me yet. I'm hoping its just them being busy with their big business going on and hopefully not something along shadier lines I've heard whispers of.
>>
>>2130662
>>2130662
Jeezus every 5 days??? No boa of any age should ever be fed that often. Even newborns can be fed every 7-14 days. No wonder she's so big. At 3.5', weaned rats should be appropriate. Once they turn 12 months, if you had them on a 7-10 day schedule, they are then moved to every 14 days. So, seeing as she's either closing in on a year, or over a year, she should be fed no more often than every 2 weeks. If she's under a year and that big, I'd go closer to 3 weeks, if she's over a year she's a good size and you can stick to every 14 days until she turns 3 years old, when you should start her feeding every 4-6 weeks. 3 weeks as the absolute most often, but I'd honestly go longer than that.

Ok as long as they aren't lighting up the whole room she should be fine, then.

Ambients 80-85F and hot spot of 88-90F. 75F would be the minimum I'd allow any part of the cage reach, but only if you can offer a good gradient, it shouldn't half half 75F and the other half suddenly jump straight up to 90F.

If you have to sacrifice floor space for climbing height, go with floor space. If the floor space is still adequate floor space than the climbing should be fine.

>>2130677
I'd advise a thermostat with dimming capabilities over a dimmer, it can monitor and control temps while a dimmer cannot. Herpstat 2s have this ability, right off the top of my head.
>>
>>2130959
Try owning 9 snakes and spending $280 on them and then 3 of them going up a prey size 3 months later....and I've got 2 more coming. It's all good, though, when they're not rapidly going up sizes they last a good 6-8 months.

>>2130991
Most people generally take them on an as-needed basis. All the vet is going to is weigh them, check their mouth, and maybe do fecals. You can do all but the fecals yourself at home, I've even had vets encourage me to just do routine check ups myself. It's when something is off you take them to the vet.
>>
File: phelsumaGrandis.jpg (943 KB, 1000x737) Image search: [Google]
phelsumaGrandis.jpg
943 KB, 1000x737
>>2131316

What is the average humidity in the room the screen tank is in and is it equipped with a misting system? I ask because most arboreal herps are tropical and need 50%+ humidity. Although i imagine if the former inhabitant was a chameleon that should already be covered.

Arboreal snakes are out because I assume that tank is fairly narrow. Green tree pythons and the like need width as much or more than height.

First thing that comes to mind are giant day geckos (phelsuma grandis). You could have two in something that size easily; two females. Then leachianus geckos, which are awesome but very expensive. Also chahoua geckos, also awesome, also pretty pricey. Day geckos are more common and a lot cheaper than either.
>>
File: CAM00151.jpg (303 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00151.jpg
303 KB, 1536x2048
So I'm thinking of turning this display case into a cage for a single alligator lizard.

I experimented with tempatures for a few days because he's a northern species, and I discovered that given the choice, he didn't like hot weather. He liked to bask when it was chilly, but as soon as it started warming up to over 70, he went into the shaded area. He also picked the moist dirt over the dry dirt for the most part.

Now, I got three shitty pics of this thing, and I'll post the next two soon. This case has removable glass pieces and I was thinking of removing the two side pieces and putting in a fine mesh frame if I can make one, OR let the door sit open for a while during the day while he is out sun bathing. Not sure which option would be easier.

There is also a small light at the top, and I'm not sure if it would be possible to put a low watt heat or uvb bulb in it? Otherwise I could just turn it on during the day and let him get his couple hours of sun outside.

For the bottom I was going to lay down some newspapers, then some kind of plastic, and then soft dirt and soil and get some makeshift hides. Our room stays pretty warm for the most part, usually in the low 70's F.
>>
File: CAM00152.jpg (287 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00152.jpg
287 KB, 1536x2048
>>2131423
The door has a latch that's pretty hard to pull open.
>>
File: CAM00153.jpg (291 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00153.jpg
291 KB, 2048x1536
>>2131424
>>
so we just lost power and it probably wont be on till tomorrow evening. my room's about 75-80 should i worry about my beardie? is there anything i can really do?
>>
>>2131436

75-80 overnight is okay. beardie will be fine. you can put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in the tank for a temporary warm spot.
>>
So, I recently found a baby scarlet kingsnake where I live and was thinking of keeping it because I had some old tank stuff lying around from before my old milk snake died and their cares seems similar.

I was wondering what do I feed it? the only thing I can find on it id people saying cut up pinky mice, but i was wondering if thats really the best option.
>>
File: HTB1wI9QGXXXXXcKXFXXq6xXFXXXv.jpg (403 KB, 640x477) Image search: [Google]
HTB1wI9QGXXXXXcKXFXXq6xXFXXXv.jpg
403 KB, 640x477
>>2131423
Lowe's and Home Depot carry a variety of stamped decorative metal sheets that might be easier to work with then rolled mesh. Just an option that would look nice with that woodwork. I would remove that light fixture and fish in a new florescent fixture for a UVB bulb. As for the bottom, I definitely would put newspaper down first. It's just going to get wet and transfer onto the wood. You could always just hit it with some steel wool and add a few more coats of sealer. Like a marine grade poly, then just slap the dirt straight on there or do plastic first. I really like the repurpose idea though, hope you come back with some after pics when your done.
>>
>>2131041
>4 superworms in a feeding
Huge meal.
>>
>>2131519
Ooh thanks for the suggestion anon, I'll check and see at our local store.

I polished the wood really good with some scratch resistent stuff and let it dry. Definitely considering some plastic on the bottom to protect the wood, and I figure if I just polish the bottom once a month or so it should be alright.

The back is a mirror and I don't know how well they hold up to heat, I'll have to look into it. What I was thinking though was taking the light out and putting a small heat pad (the UTH type) for when it gets chilly at night.
>>
>>2131512
Put it back where you found it. You can find captive kings for under $50. Instead of taking an individual from your local ecosystem, how about you support a breeder and buy a snake? That way you get a kingsnake and you don't inadvertently affect your local ecosystem.

Seeing as you don't even know what to feed a kingsnake, you're probably a beginner, and beginners don't generally fare well taking care of a parasite-ridden wild caught that may end up dying from stress within a year.
>>
Gave my tegu her first quail egg and it was the noisiest I've ever heard. There was so much sort of panting sounds and something like huffing but wasn't huffing.
>>
>>2131562
I meant to say I would definitely "not" put newspaper down first. Paper towels if you have to after the plastic but not newspaper.
>>
I found a blue tailed/5-lined skink, juvenile, while moving. I had supplies on hand, so I set him up in a 20gL (coco husk, 2 hides, plastic foliage, small meal worms, heat lamp, the usual) - just to "recharge" him and make sure he was in good health before I put him outside. I figured he might have been trapped in a box for a long time or such.

Anyway, on day 4, after eating his 2nd meal (didn't eat first 2 days), the fucker disappeared. It is absolutely possible to get through a 1/2" gap in the lid running the entire length of the enclosure, but I thought this things couldn't climb glass? The foliage might have been tall enough in the middle of the cage for him to get a grip on the roof, but then he'd have to ceiling-walk 8" to the gap.

So basically, can they climb glass? How did he get out? The mystery is killing me. At least he's healthy and well-fed where he went.
>>
>>2130438
We're social animals and have a hard time not wanting to interact with people and animals we like. I think it's better that people try and find those handling tolerant reptiles instead of killing the skittish ones with love.

But yeah, I have a beardie and she not only tolerates being handled and messed with, but she seems to like being picked up and manipulated.
>>
>>2131811
This.
I have a turtle but I don't handle her much so she doesn't get stressed, I do let her roam and wander out where she pleases every once in a while when the weather's nice. She is however docile enough to let me rub her head and shell and even pick her up for some periods of time when she's chill, usually when basking
>>
File: Snapchat-4715632821760144105.jpg (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4715632821760144105.jpg
1 MB, 1080x1920
found this dead snek with two eggs attached two it. anyone know what kind it is. i'm from downstate NY
>>
>>2131930
ringneck would be my guess
>>
>>2131512
I'm going to agree with that other anon here just on the basis of it being a baby like that
unless you have experience rearing and getting hatchling snakes to eat, you probably shouldn't mess with it
>>
>>2131780
how deep is the coco husk?
skinks love to burrow. I thought my gilberts skink somehow escaped on me but I found him buried under the paper towels under the cypress mulch I put in there

otherwise it is possible that he climbed upsidedown along the screen if he could reach it. The baby iguanas and chams we have in our store do it all the time
>>
>>2126162
I saw some beaded monitors online that looked gorgeous. My mom kept a Tegu and said they like nasty shit.
>>
>>2131994
whats a beaded monitor?
All I get is either a monitor or a beaded lizard
>>
>>2127778
Sweet, has one for my first when I was little too. Named him Rocket.
>>
>>2132000
This
>>
>>2132004
thats no where near being a monitor
a monitor lizard requires it be in the genus Varanus

beaded lizards and gila monsters are Heloderma
>>
>>2126146
That's a carpet python.
>>
File: srsly.jpg (88 KB, 600x678) Image search: [Google]
srsly.jpg
88 KB, 600x678
>>2132042
>that's a carpet python
>>
>>2131407
Thanks, how do I check mouth? Also is there a guideline for weight and age of corn snakes?
>>
File: 20160527_181946.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160527_181946.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
this motherfucker just knocked on my door, what do?
>>
>>2132084

Invite him in obviously.
>>
>>2131543
Dude, my geckos are ridiculous eaters. They can down 30 crickets in an hour. That's y I only feed them every few days and only give them crickets every few weeks.
>>
>>2132079
Look up some videos, or see if a vet will show you. It's very simple. You'll just need to have a thin rod-shaped item to open their mouth. I usually use q-tips or the straws from spray bottles. Make sure you grip the sides of their neck/head so you don't block off their air. You may need two people if the snake is wriggly, you don't want them whipping around or pulling their head back too hard, you can dislocate or injure their jaw (it's why I'd suggest having a vet show you first, but if you're gentle but firm you should be fine). It's hard to actually break their jaws, you normally just dislocate them.

I'm not an expert on corns, but no there's not. Snakes grow at such tremendously different rates, even snakes fed exactly the same way from the same clutch/litter, it's not really plausible. If the snake has adequate body tone and you're feeding it correctly and it's growing regularly, then there's no reason to worry.

If you're trying to guess an age from an unknown corn, some experienced keepers can give you a very very rough guesstimate. Of course there's some obvious things like a 30 gram 3 year old, or a 3,000 gram 6 month old. Those generally don't happen.
>>
File: CAM00172.jpg (279 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00172.jpg
279 KB, 1536x2048
>>2131519
It's coming along. I'm going to get some of that printed metal and a bulb set up, but here's the skeleton.

Gonna put some plastic down over the cardboard, then some soft soil and probably some rocks.

Then that second little level up top I'm going to make into a type of basking spot. I'll put plastic down and I was thinking decorative sand, and feeding the lizard in a tub.

I'm thinking fake plants for climbing and maybe a small patch of live grass in a tray. I need everything to be easy to lift and move.
>>
File: CAM00174.jpg (252 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00174.jpg
252 KB, 1536x2048
>>2132206
Side view
>>
>>2132206
>>2132207
Looking good so far, anon. Love the chunk of geode in there for some color. If you keep the mirror in, some fake vines over them would give some depth. What is that on the edge of the shelf, cardboard?
>>
>>2132206

You will have to cover or remove that mirror. Mirrors stress lizards out. They don't understand that it isn't a second lizard in there with them.
>>
File: CAM00175.jpg (279 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00175.jpg
279 KB, 1536x2048
>>2132244
I'm sure he'll get used to it, he's a baby still and the ones I kept growing up never got too stressed by another ally in their tank. They just kind of avoided each other for the most part.
>>2132230
Ya, I glued a bunch of pieces together to make it sturdy. Here's what it looks like now. Tomorrow I should be mostly done with it minus maybe a heat lamp and UTH.
>>
File: 1415673918136.jpg (21 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1415673918136.jpg
21 KB, 259x194
>>2132274
>I'm sure he'll get used to it,
>>
>>2132296
?
>>
>>2132274
>I'm sure he'll get used to it
another, easily avoidable lizard is not the same thing as a lizard that follows you everywhere you go, and it always there when you go outside
cover the back of the tank
>>
>>2132307
No.
>>
>>2132274
That duct tape is also a problem. Lizard gets stuck to tape, removing tape from herps is a difficult process and scales tend to get torn off.
>>
>>2132310
kys.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Dogs were barking at this big guy, think it's a Eastern Ribbon Snake
>>
>>2132527

good id, anon
>>
File: 1464446677573.jpg (97 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1464446677573.jpg
97 KB, 1280x960
Guys, my lizard thinks it's a wheel. What do I do?
>>
>>2129466
are you me?
>>
>>2132512
>duct tape

I thought about that and made sure there aren't any spots he can slip under or in. I overlayed the holes.
>>
>>2132527
If it bit you, would you die?
>>
>have 2 crested geckos
<had for ~2 years, since babies
>add a laybox just in case
>found a couple of eggs in the laybox
>a wild wife appears
>wants to make the incubation box
>give her Hatch'em substrate
>"When did we get this?!"
>tell her not to rotate them
>watching youtube videos on not rotating them
>finishes the project
>tucks the box into the 3x3x2 PVC cage
>worries about the temp
>adds 2nd thermometer to incubator.
>etc

What is it with women and babies?
>>
>>2132599
Have you sexed these geckos to make sure there is 1 male 1 female? I ask because females do occasionally lay unfertilized eggs.
>>
File: 1463456608229.jpg (149 KB, 1062x598) Image search: [Google]
1463456608229.jpg
149 KB, 1062x598
>>2132630

Not 'professionally', but the male has noticeable bulges at the base of the tail, and the female has nothing. I just deduced. The eggs are a healthy shape and coloration, as well. Most likely fertilized. Let me get a picture...
>>
>>2132599
Haha, she's probably just excited cause it's something cute and she wants to make sure they hatch in order to daw and squee at said cuteness.
>>
>>2132787

Gotcha. Best of luck on the hatching!
>>
File: May thirteenth 2016002.jpg (211 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
May thirteenth 2016002.jpg
211 KB, 800x450
>>2130023
I am raising an Argus monitor (V.p.panoptes) so I have almost a year experience under my belt. Dwarf monitor cost more to buy, yet are cheaper to feed over the long haul. Also, they don't require the large enclosure medium to large varanids do. Any monitor takes lots of patience and perseverance to build trust. It is a big commitment if your serious and most live at least 15 years.
>>
File: Gaboon_sleeps_shhh.webm (987 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gaboon_sleeps_shhh.webm
987 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2132787
So you're just breeding just to breed? Without even knowing what sex your animals are? You're whats wrong with the reptile community. Freeze those eggs. Gain some knowledge and then try again. I suggest google.com
>>
File: red eyed crocodile skink 3.jpg (7 KB, 315x160) Image search: [Google]
red eyed crocodile skink 3.jpg
7 KB, 315x160
Hi guys, what can you tell me about the UVB needs of crocodile skinks?
I've been reading up on them for a while and almost everyone gives me conflicting information.
Also, are they really as shy as people say or are they just not as extroverted as bearded dragons?
>>
>>2132910
Why did you choose argus monitor over let's say savannah? I'm curious.. also how is he/she?
>>
>>2132942

I love how presumptuous this board is. I have 2 reptiles in front of me, to the left, that together cost more than my motorcycle and can die just as easily. Go preach to someone else about care. I handled my job perfectly. I was not asking for help. You should have known by the laybox, bulges, PVC enclosure, and Hatch'em references that you'd look like an ass suggesting google. It wasn't even relevant unless you were suggesting googling women's behavior around babies.
>>
>>2133108
They're definitely very shy. I'm not sure about the UV. They are nocturnal though so it follows that their lighting needs should be minimal.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 70

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.