[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BRIBING SOUTH KOREAN DOG FARMERS FOR US EXPORT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: South Korea flag with bosintang.png (294 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
South Korea flag with bosintang.png
294 KB, 1200x800
>From Dog Farms in South Korea to New Lives as Pets Abroad
https://archive.is/kdqWa

>Highlights
on his farm in a valley southeast of Seoul, Mr. Gong, 55, also raises dogs for their meat.

Humane Society International... is offering financial incentives to farmers — $2,000 to $60,000 depending on the number of dogs involved — who give up their animals to be adopted as family pets in the United States and elsewhere and switch to other livelihoods, like growing pepper or blueberries.

Since last year, the group says it has shut down five farms.
>US: That's a nice business you got there...
>hope nothing bad happens to it...
>freedom.jpg

Animal rights groups estimate that 30 million dogs, mostly stolen or feral, are killed each year for their meat in Asia, in countries such as China and Vietnam.

South Korea has industrialized its dog-meat trade. Each year, more than 17,000 dog farms, some of them raising more than 1,000 animals each, supply 2 million dogs to meet the country’s centuries-old appetite for dog meat, according to government data.

Koreans are fiercely proud of their culinary history. Even those who shun dog meat often bristle at foreigners who criticize the practice; to them, eating snails is unthinkable and force-feeding ducks to produce foie gras cruel.
>Proud of your country
>A good thing
Pick one

the younger generation, find the idea of eating dog meat appalling.

“I am not particularly proud of eating dog meat, but I don’t think it’s something we should be ashamed of either... No nation should be criticized for its food.”

Andrew Plumbly, a Humane Society International campaigner, said, “Culture is never an excuse for cruelty.”
>Especially South Korean culture
>Let the US guide your people to civilization!

“I was not ashamed of my way of making a living, but I was not proud of it either... No one would do this if he could avoid it.”
>>
Seems like the nation is slowly evolving itself and solving its own problem. The younger generation is shying away from eating dog and cultural attitudes towards dog meat in south Korea are becoming more intolerant of the practice. Eventually it won't be financially viable to run such farms and they will mostly all but disappear.

So why is the US intervening? Aren't we over_loaded with our own stray and unwanted pet population, why the fuck are we importing more? And I saw nothing in the article about quarantine procedure for bringing in these new dogs, isn't this how we had that horrible CIV outbreak on the east coast a few years ago?
>>
>lets spend a lot of mone to take dog farm mutts who probably have shitloads of genetic problems and put them in overpopulated american shelters so they can be euthanized instead of being slaughtered for their meat!
Who is this supposed to help exactly?
>>
>>2124803
I don't even see why the US should care. One, we have a big enough stray dog problem as it is. Two, who are we to say someone can't eat a dog?
>>
Why would pride in ones country be a bad thing?
>>
>>2124821
This. Korea was a third world shithole less than 50 years ago and dog eating was the only option for most of the population because it was cheap.
>>
why is it ok to raise cows for meat but not dogs?
>>
>>2126611
Not sure. I would eat both.
>>
>>2126611
Some bs about how dogs have always been man's best friend despite you bet your ass our ancestors ate dogs too.

I'm all for improving how animals are slaughtered but not for people getting mad cause a cute animal is getting eaten. Pigs are smarter than dogs but you won't see a country go into an uproar. No one gives a shit about jow usual livestock but even then I've met many people who are against eating rabbits and deer because it's not usually in your local grocery store.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.